Activision/Blizzard CEO hates his staff & customers

General Discussion
02/10/2019 05:28 AMPosted by Dietrich
Bobby Kotick not only stated he wanted to "take the fun out of making games" approx 10 years ago, but also called his customers "guys who can't get a date on a saturday night" around the same time.

At least guy has a sense of humor. They still have CoD, gaining millions and doing charity work for war veterans; so he couldn't care less about "vidya gaemz" from a personalized view at all.
02/10/2019 06:42 AMPosted by Imperius
Not saying you're wrong or right OP.

But Instead of taking old quotes (politely, 10 years is old right?)

I just judge based on communication and effort towards the playerbase. So instead of relying 100 percent on "CM, pass on info, to group meetings, to see what gets worked on, and maybe ill be at one or those or not"

I'd financially support a CEO who comes on the forums and says "Hey all, Diablo 1 and 2 were obviously steps up from Diablo 3. I'm here to ask you all what parts of Diablo 1, 2 and 3 do you like and dislike and why. Nothing is off limits, from art to mechanics to music, give examples for each post. We want to analyze Diablo 1 and 2 with the community, and not without the community. Same with Diablo 3. This is to ensure we are getting the best market research we can for making Diablo 4. For example, we don't want to leave out super-backbone styles / aspects of Diablo 1/2 that if only we had asked and thought to look for ourselves, could of been how Diablo 4 is made"

"By the way, I don't support PR talk like Multiple Projects for Multiple People on Multiple Platforms instead I like to be-real and just ask "Hey what sucks about our games you guys, lets work together, and I know this comment will get 500 mil youtube lies no-doubt because i'm being real and will follow through with actually listening to the responses and using the community together with us to make Diablo 4 instead of 'we know best' attitude that has failed 3 times now with Diablo 3, RoS, and Immortal all were "we know best" and games....obviously are no Diablo 1 or 2 lets put it that way".

"also...I've begged Brevik and Schaefer's n such literally begged them to come back and Matt-U they can do whaetever they want to Diablo 4 phones are not necessary"

That's the type of CEO we need.
Real talk, not PR talk, not silence, not above you, not sending CM's or bad d2

Something along the lines of that.
Real talk, not PR talk.

Brevik is overrated... What did he do since leaving Blizzard that was worthy of the admiration people have for him?

Btw Everytime Blizzard doesn't follow the PR script that was written for them they end up creating a meme that people quote for years. Devs just aren't good at making speeches.

Brevik isn't overrated at all. In fact he made an amazing game ALL BY HIMSELF. Might want to check out this incredibly artistic, deep and addictive game called It Lurks Below. Marvel Heroes was so much fun and pretty successful. The guy gets the genre more than anyone else in the business. Diablo exists because of him.
02/11/2019 08:32 AMPosted by SuperduperJW
Brevik isn't overrated at all. In fact he made an amazing game ALL BY HIMSELF. Might want to check out this incredibly artistic, deep and addictive game called It Lurks Below. Marvel Heroes was so much fun and pretty successful. The guy gets the genre more than anyone else in the business. Diablo exists because of him.

He's good, one of the best for sure but he didn't work on Diablo alone and to be honest - he's not "the only one" who gets it. Fact of the matter is that a lot of people are playing Titan Quest, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile. Sure, about 15 years ago, i'd say that's true. nowadays, not so much.
02/10/2019 05:57 AMPosted by Jinx
I see that "taking the fund out of making video games" quote a lot but without context.

The article you linked had this after the bit you quoted:

And then, to ensure there was no confusion in his message, he added that he has tried to instill "skepticism, pessimism, and fear" of the economic downturn into the corporate culture at Activision. "We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression," he said.

The context is he said that in September 2009 to an investor conference. In September 2009 the world was going through a great recession (aka global financial crisis) -- unemployment peaked a month later -- and he was trying to convey they'll spend wisely.

There was a 2010 article that had him talk about that specific quote:

Today, he said, after describing Activision as a company striving for greatness, "Sometimes that commitment to excellence, well, you can come across as being like a **%#%@%@. And when I say things like "taking the fun out of making video games," it was a line that has been often-quoted lately, but it was a line I used for investors. It was mainly because i wanted to somehow come across in a humorous way that we were responsible, in the way we made our games in that it wasn't some wild west, lack of process exercise and that we really did give some thought to the capital being used to provide a return of investment to shareholders. So I say things like 'taking the fun out of video games' knowing full well that all we're actually trying to do is keep the fun in the process because, as most of you know, when you're getting into crunch time it becomes really difficult to meet those milestones or get things polished the way you would like, that isn't a lot of fun. That is not what I meant by it."

https://kotaku.com/bobby-kotick-warm-and-fuzzy-defends-notorious-no-fun-5474949

I recall you said Kotaku is not a realiable source to cite anything. Are you contradicting yourself?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Brevik is overrated... What did he do since leaving Blizzard that was worthy of the admiration people have for him?

Btw Everytime Blizzard doesn't follow the PR script that was written for them they end up creating a meme that people quote for years. Devs just aren't good at making speeches.

Marvel Heroes started well, but they ran that train into a wall. You can't even play the game anymore because they didn't think there was enough interest in the game to keep it alive.

It Lurk Below isnt my cup of tea, but I hear it isn't a bad 2D game.

Brevik wanted Diablo to be a turn based game and fought hard to get his way, but the team wanted live combat. If Brevik had his way Diablo might not have a legendary status among RPG fans.
02/11/2019 09:50 AMPosted by Imperius

Marvel Heroes started well, but they ran that train into a wall. You can't even play the game anymore because they didn't think there was enough interest in the game to keep it alive.

It Lurk Below isnt my cup of tea, but I hear it isn't a bad 2D game.

Brevik wanted Diablo to be a turn based game and fought hard to get his way, but the team wanted live combat. If Brevik had his way Diablo might not have a legendary status among RPG fans.

If Diablo was more like Baldurs' Gate - it could have been an interesting experiment. Maybe in an alternate reality such a version exists.
02/11/2019 10:01 AMPosted by KushiSensei
If Diablo was more like Baldurs' Gate - it could have been an interesting experiment. Maybe in an alternate reality such a version exists.

More like Baldur's Gate? But Baldur's Gate is a CRPG, not an ARPG. Diablo would be nothing like Diablo as we know it if it was like Baldur's Gate.

Diablo 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are great games in their own way. I don't think one would work great as the same sub genre as the other, both would lose too much in translation from what they were.
02/11/2019 10:15 AMPosted by Zeddicuus
02/11/2019 10:01 AMPosted by KushiSensei

More like Baldur's Gate? But Baldur's Gate is a CRPG, not an ARPG. Diablo would be nothing like Diablo as we know it if it was like Baldur's Gate.

Diablo 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are great games in their own way. I don't think one would work great as the same sub genre as the other, both would lose too much in translation from what they were.

Oh, I know. i'm just saying that it could have been interesting to see D2 as a cRPG instead of an ARPG.
02/11/2019 10:26 AMPosted by KushiSensei
Oh, I know. i'm just saying that it could have been interesting to see D2 as a cRPG instead of an ARPG.

If that had happened, and Dave B. got his way, I would never have played the Diablo franchise to the extent I did. I would never have met lifelong friends. Would never have played WoW. Would not be here.

I have Baldur's Gate but I prefer action gameplay to turn based.

I am not saying Dave B. was not talented, but he alone did not make the Diablo franchise what it is, and his ideas could have actually sunk it. He never had the same success ever again.

As for the topic of the original conversation - Bobby K. does not hate players or staff. He just loves Investors more. To him the games are just products. Products to push out to consumers to get profits. Staff are just resources to be used and trimmed as needed. It is not hate, it is utter indifference to the passionate real people behind the games and the players who form the gaming community.
02/11/2019 10:36 AMPosted by MissCheetah
and his ideas could have actually sunk it.

Not really. He wasn't stubborn about his ideas after seeing the potential but true that he wasn't the only guy who made Diablo what it is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc
Post Mortem talk about Diablo. He was amazed after seeing how game could be made in real time. It wasn't magic or pure innovation or anything, Diablo 1 simply followed "Crusader: No Remorse" 's footsteps and added RPG elements into it.
02/11/2019 09:49 AMPosted by Chipoodle
I recall you said Kotaku is not a realiable source to cite anything. Are you contradicting yourself?

You're misremembering; I've been one of the biggest defenders of Kotaku (well really Jason Schreier rather than Kotaku) due to his excellent track record.
02/11/2019 07:16 AMPosted by KushiSensei
02/11/2019 04:15 AMPosted by havikryan
I mean that's pretty much every AAA company nowadays, it's why they ruin full priced games with forced grind to sell gamble boxes and micro transactions

well... technically, GGG has been doing this for years and they're not a AAA company. besides, if we're really being honest here - this wouldn't have been this bad if EA hasn't mucked it up for a lot of people with their grubby hands and tying progression to lootboxes. A lot of people were fine with loot boxes since there was nothing tied to progression and power scaling, were cosmetic (for the most part) and you had a reliable way to get them.

at least to my knowledge.

lootboxes not affecting gameplay still isn't good enough, even if they offer cosmetics only it's still gambling and I will never stand behind video games promoting gambling and preying on children and people with gambling addiction/issues
02/11/2019 01:15 PMPosted by havikryan
lootboxes not affecting gameplay still isn't good enough, even if they offer cosmetics only it's still gambling and I will never stand behind video games promoting gambling and preying on children and people with gambling addiction/issues

Giving someone or a company money in exchange for a CHANCE at winning something is gambling. I don't know why this concept seem so foreign to the gaming industry and why governments don't care about it.

Raising a generation of people with gambling addiction isn't such a great idea.
Keep in mind Activision Blizzard is the same company thats charging people for crosshairs (yes...crosshairs, the little dot in the middle of your screen in a FPS game).

They have no shame. The only way to fight this kind of greed is by not purchasing their products and getting your friends and family to do the same.