Blizzard facing mass layoffs?

Games & Technology
1 2 3 7 Next
Not good news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6rwbKzrcd8

I feel for the people losing their jobs.

But what the hell is going on at Blizzard? Why have game development stopped? Its time to get cracking. I was ready flashing my wallet at my screen, but then they launched Diablo Immortal. Nope, nope, nope.

The audience is here waiting but there are no games coming for some strange reason…
Why make games when you can have the Chinese do all the heavy lifting for you?
Typical corporate greed, as the shareholders and upper level management rake in the money, the lower level workers get laid off. When management makes the bad decisions the employees who do the actual work will always suffer for it.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/15/activision-blizzard-cfo-15-million-payout-angry-fans/

https://www1.salary.com/Robert-A-Kotick-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-ACTIVISION-BLIZZARD-INC.html

I am sure that our resident "know it all" will continue to tap dance around all of the bad news, shame on him a swell.
02/09/2019 07:28 AMPosted by Tetra

They shot themselves in the foot there. In fact they blew their leg clean off. If they had to make that game it should have remained China exclusive.
The article didn't mention Blizzard as the company that was set to layoff employees...........

The article failed to give any information beyond the fact that Activision Blizzard was looking at ways of restructuring its business to reduce costs, maximize profits and do so without affecting the quality of their products.

There's nothing in the article that suggests clearly that Blizzard is the company that will layoff employees.
Corporate culture 1.0. It's not new, really, and it's outright cancerous. Happens across many other industries as well.

02/09/2019 08:04 AMPosted by Imperius
The article failed to give any information beyond the fact that Activision Blizzard was looking at ways of restructuring its business to reduce costs, maximize profits and do so without affecting the quality of their products.

Yet they've been blatantly affected. Unless of course, your fanboy status prevents you from acknowledging the fact HOTS had it's eSports funding revoked, or how their support for Hearthstone's eSports support may face the same fate soon. Perhaps you'd be persuaded by WoW's BFA expansion's laughably sub-par quality? Or maybe the fact despite selling millions of copies of D3, they simply couldn't be bothered to release a second expansion people were hoping for simply because they couldn't over-monetize it? How about that Diablo Immortal debacle at Blizzcon, where the event itself (another product, of theirs, mind you) which was supposed to be a celebration of fandom got re-purposed as an advertisement campaign for greedy shareholders seeking to rake in all that sweet cash from the Chinese market, despite nobody among the playerbase actually wanting a stupid mobile game, and the subsequent radio silence from Blizzard following the rightfully justified backlash?

Whether you fanboys acknowledge it or not, the signs are pretty damn clear here. But please, keep throwing some smoke to cover up their shenanigans. I'm sure Activision-Blizzard thanks you for your service. Maybe you'll get a little pet or something for it.
With the stock prices falling the way they have been the CEO has lost around 181 Million dollars in stock value in the last 52 week period and the announcement of D:I at Blizzcon. So I would guess that most of the major share holders on the board are taking it where the sun dont shine also. They are going to try to make up this loss somewhere and sadly layoffs are the first place most major Co.'s start.
Yet they threw $15 million (and a golden parachute) to bring back Durkin.

One gaming company had its executives and president take a sizable paycut during it's rough times, whie you had companies like Activision rewarding the top.

Guess the company who's actually thriving now in the midst of the gaming slump.

The saddest part in all of this - Durkin already gets a piece of the bonus for cost cutting already.
02/09/2019 08:20 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
Corporate culture 1.0. It's not new, really, and it's outright cancerous. Happens across many other industries as well.

02/09/2019 08:04 AMPosted by Imperius

Yet they've been blatantly affected. Unless of course, your fanboy status prevents you from acknowledging the fact HOTS had it's eSports funding revoked, or how their support for Hearthstone's eSports support may face the same fate soon. Perhaps you'd be persuaded by WoW's BFA expansion's laughably sub-par quality? Or maybe the fact despite selling millions of copies of D3, they simply couldn't be bothered to release a second expansion people were hoping for simply because they couldn't over-monetize it? How about that Diablo Immortal debacle at Blizzcon, where the event itself (another product, of theirs, mind you) which was supposed to be a celebration of fandom got re-purposed as an advertisement campaign for greedy shareholders seeking to rake in all that sweet cash from the Chinese market, despite nobody among the playerbase actually wanting a stupid mobile game, and the subsequent radio silence from Blizzard following the rightfully justified backlash?

Whether you fanboys acknowledge it or not, the signs are pretty damn clear here. But please, keep throwing some smoke to cover up their shenanigans. I'm sure Activision-Blizzard thanks you for your service. Maybe you'll get a little pet or something for it.

HotS was a failure that didn't meet the expectations of both Blizzard and Activision Blizzard. They were supposed to compete with the top MOBAs out there, but the game never reached that goal, not by a long shot.

The article was vague and seemed to suggest the layoffs would be spread across all subsidiaries, but even that wasn't clear. It was clearly not specific enough to think Blizzard would be on the receiving end of those layoffs.
02/09/2019 07:22 AMPosted by Bubba
Not good news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6rwbKzrcd8

I feel for the people losing their jobs.

But what the hell is going on at Blizzard? Why have game development stopped? Its time to get cracking. I was ready flashing my wallet at my screen, but then they launched Diablo Immortal. Nope, nope, nope.

The audience is here waiting but there are no games coming for some strange reason…

I think it's good news. Blizzard needs to learn that they can't treat their customers so badly like they have been. There are consequences and they need to learn to be humble.

During an interview they said over the last ten years they've outsourced more and more material to their "partner" NetEase.

That explains why the last ten years of Blizzard games have been one tire fire to another. They deserve to go under at this point.
02/09/2019 09:47 AMPosted by neo

During an interview they said over the last ten years they've outsourced more and more material to their "partner" NetEase.

That explains why the last ten years of Blizzard games have been one tire fire to another. They deserve to go under at this point.

They relied on Netease for the Chinese version of their games... Blizzard games are different in China, less gore and cash shop items. Netease get to keep a nice chunk of the profits on those games.

Aside from Diablo : Immortal, Netease didn't participate in the creation of any Blizzard games available to you in Western countries. It's also unclear if Diablo : Immortal will be the same for both China and the Americas
02/09/2019 09:53 AMPosted by Imperius
02/09/2019 09:47 AMPosted by neo

They relied on Netease for the Chinese version of their games... Blizzard games are different in China, less gore and cash shop items. Netease get to keep a nice chunk of the profits on those games.

Aside from Diablo : Immortal, Netease didn't participate in the creation of any Blizzard games available to you in Western countries. It's also unclear if Diablo : Immortal will be the same for both China and the Americas

In the past two months I've posted only a handful of times, but every time I browse these forums I see you shilling hard and spreading disinfo.

God you're such a loser.
02/09/2019 09:57 AMPosted by neo

In the past two months I've posted only a handful of times, but every time I browse these forums I see you shilling hard and spreading disinfo.

God you're such a loser.

Instead of trying to insult me, try to prove me wrong on that.

You took the statement out of context and expect people to tell you you are right.
It is unfortunate that some people are losing their jobs, presumably in an industry they love. But, as for Blizzard, we know that they are still hiring for other projects that are under development (i.e. the next Diablo game for PC).

Please, let's not act like we are the victims here.
Back when we were fully expecting Diablo 4 at blizzcon the activision stock was up in the 80s just after some manufactured hype that there would be something new for diablo fans at blizzcon.

There was a temper your expectations announcement sometime in mid october that started the down slope in stock price, until that awful blizzcon opening day where they announced a mobile game to a legion of pc players, which started the eventual avalanche in the stock price which has still been dropping. This stock drop about the mobile game hit much harder then the news that destiny 2's sales were not as expected... but instead of cancelling diablo immortal activision splits with bunjie.

So now we see that blizzard-activision is about to fire hundreds of employees soon..... i just hope that one of those fired was the guy who green lit or even came up with the idea of Diablo immortal.... which is maybe the sole reason your main investors have given up hope in you blizzard-activision.
02/09/2019 09:57 AMPosted by neo
spreading disinfo.

In this case, Imperius is actually correct. China does not allow direct distribution/running of game servers by outsiders. Blizzard has to use a Chinese company in order to have any games in China. They have used Netease for that for over 10 years.

The ONLY example of outsourcing actual game content generation to Netease we have, is DIE.

I don't agree with it and wish they had not done it. Hopefully that is not a sign of future game trends from Blizzard.
Another review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tHqkjl6N0
It's kinda weird that YouTubers are somehow seen as a reliable news source on this forum
02/09/2019 12:36 PMPosted by Imperius
It's kinda weird that YouTubers are somehow seen as a reliable news source on this forum

It's kinda weird that anyone believes anything someone 'just tells them' on the internet these days...

but then we have the media and twitter... so...

yeahhhh......