Blizzard facing mass layoffs?

Games & Technology
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
02/09/2019 04:39 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Speculation though - not sure esports is going the way they want. It IS something worth investing in and exploring, but not all ventures into it will succeed. They have put a LOT of money into that.

I think this is the main point Activision/Blizzard needs to examine. They went ALL in on esports and quit working on games that couldn't or shouldn't be esports (i.e. Diablo). Now they are going all in on mobile gaming. You can't keep chasing the current trend on all fronts. Diversify a little. It's ok to have some esports, it's ok to have some mobile games (candy crush NOT Diablo - that was a bad idea), just don't go all in on it otherwise we'll be back here in another 5-10 years because mobile gaming isn't so hot anymore.
Mobile gaming isn't going away, & in fact only getting larger.

The problem is, while mobile gaming is a big pie, there are many more studios wanting a piece of the pie.

When TV came out, people speculated it will kill cinema. But it didn't. Turned out the experience is difference.

This will be same with mobile & PC/console. They provide different experiences.
02/09/2019 09:57 AMPosted by neo
02/09/2019 09:53 AMPosted by Imperius

They relied on Netease for the Chinese version of their games... Blizzard games are different in China, less gore and cash shop items. Netease get to keep a nice chunk of the profits on those games.

Aside from Diablo : Immortal, Netease didn't participate in the creation of any Blizzard games available to you in Western countries. It's also unclear if Diablo : Immortal will be the same for both China and the Americas

In the past two months I've posted only a handful of times, but every time I browse these forums I see you shilling hard and spreading disinfo.

God you're such a loser.

Loser? No. He just doesn't have an irreversible hate for blizz and has a better understanding of how corporate buisinesses are run.

I know it probably easier for you to see them as snidly whiplash.

If there is one thing about the d:I announcement that really bothers me. It's that voices of reason have less credit on these forums since then.

If you say anything that could seen as defending Activision Blizzard in any way it's thumbs down and SHILLY SHILL SHILL.
02/09/2019 10:12 AMPosted by SnakeFarmer
Back when we were fully expecting Diablo 4 at blizzcon the activision stock was up in the 80s just after some manufactured hype that there would be something new for diablo fans at blizzcon.

Wait. You were fully expecting d4 at blizzcon? Why? They let fans know before blizzcon that there would be no d4 announced. If you were expecting it then that is your fault.

And there kind of was something new at blizzcon. No one liked it, but there was something.
02/09/2019 07:22 AMPosted by Bubba
Not good news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6rwbKzrcd8

I feel for the people losing their jobs.

But what the hell is going on at Blizzard? Why have game development stopped? Its time to get cracking. I was ready flashing my wallet at my screen, but then they launched Diablo Immortal. Nope, nope, nope.

The audience is here waiting but there are no games coming for some strange reason…

Once again, most likely good folks getting the axe. Meanwhile the ActiBlizz exec team are eligible to collect $80M in annual compensation for all the awesome microtransaction... I mean ... gaming experiences they have been think tanking up.

The fires are burning hot indeed - pumping out fat stacks of cash to the execs while said execs pander to the all mighty shareholders that have an appetite for dollar bills that will not and cannot ever be satisfied.

We are not passionate gamers that enjoy our beloved franchises and worlds to explore anymore. We are simple consumption units that are here to line the pockets of execs while they seek to fill the hands of shareholders that will never be satisfied. AAA gaming has been destroyed by corporate greed. Simple sad truth.
Most likely the majority of the people laid off is from Heroes of the Storm since that game is put into pasture. Wouldn't be surprised if some Overwatch people included since it has not been doing very well lately. Under performing games are going to face a high body count. Sucks really. You can thank mobile games specifically Fortnite for laying down the ax.
02/10/2019 05:53 PMPosted by NeueZiel
Most likely the majority of the people laid off is from Heroes of the Storm since that game is put into pasture. Wouldn't be surprised if some Overwatch people included since it has not been doing very well lately. Under performing games are going to face a high body count. Sucks really. You can thank mobile games specifically Fortnite for laying down the ax.

Those games surely didn't meet the expectations, but I still think Overwatch is much better than Fortnite... That being said nothing prevents them from using those employees to work on another project while leaving enough people working on HotS and Overwatch to do maintenance and minor updates.

There's a good opportunity to make a good esport game by combining devs from both teams. If they still plan on competing in that genre.
Everyone chill out. Your country is experience one of the lowest unemployment rate in history. Those talented people will find other positions and even better , higher pay. Some food for thought:

Lost vikings came from Lemmings
Warcraft 1 came from Dune 2000
Wow came from ever quest
HOTS is a MOBA .
Overwatch , just another FPS
Heart Stone = Magic the gathering
Star craft came from ? (who cares , probably copied from somewhere)
Diablo 1 came from ?

I believe they brought the diablo team . Blizzard weren't innovators , they were money makers . Their formulae was to make games available to the masses .
People don't give them enough credit for this. Blizzard introduced me to the ARPG genre and i've since moved on to Grim Dawn . Good luck with the DIE franchise regardless. ( I already spend enough time on my mobile , i certainly won't be playing anymore games on it)
02/10/2019 07:53 PMPosted by ICBoner
Everyone chill out. Your country is experience one of the lowest unemployment rate in history. Those talented people will find other positions and even better , higher pay. Some food for thought:

Lost vikings came from Lemmings
Warcraft 1 came from Dune 2000
Wow came from ever quest
HOTS is a MOBA .
Overwatch , just another FPS
Heart Stone = Magic the gathering
Diablo 1 came from ?

I believe they brought the diablo team . Blizzard weren't innovators , they were money makers . Their formulae was to make games available to the masses .
People don't give them enough credit for this. Blizzard introduced me to the ARPG genre and i've since moved on to Grim Dawn . Good luck with the DIE franchise regardless. ( I already spend enough time on my mobile , i certainly won't be playing anymore games on it)

You know, You can still take the same basic mechanics and make a masterpiece if you add things of your own. Think of it this way - everyone can make a basic cake with the same ingredients - how you make that cake special depends on what you add to it. If your point here is that Blizzard isn't original because they had ideas from other games - even Disney reused their own footage in their older hand drawn movies. Also, to my knowledge, Diablo was supposed to be this D&D kind of adventure or something.

And yeah - every company wants to make money. That's the point of every business.
I just started playing Heroes of the Storm 2.5 months ago. Close to Thanksgiving time. And I've already spent $300 dollars on the game. And maybe even a few hundred more in the future with skins now being directly purchasable with money (gems) in the upcoming patch.

I didn't even think I'd enjoy Heroes of the Storm when I first started playing. I just wanted to reach player level 12 for the free Diablo 3 portrait frame and pennant. And since then I've been playing HoTS every day. Some days I don't even have time to play Diablo 3 because I prioritize Heroes of the Storm first and then Diablo 3. HoTS somehow became my go-to game. It was only supposed to be my secondary game.

I'm in my late 30's and here I am playing a MOBA. LOL, who knew. I still love Diablo with a passion but I wish there were more things I could spend my money on. The Diablo shop in the U.S. has little to buy. I'm still patiently waiting for the Diablo 3 shop to have things I can purchase: stash tabs, pets, wings, pennants, etc... etc... Like the Diablo 3 in China has. They have a wide variety of goodies you can buy.

The only two games I play right now. Heroes of the Storm and Diablo 3. At the moment I'm very loyal to Blizzard and I don't have a desire to play anything else. I would love very much for Diablo 3 to take my money but they offer nothing to purchase in the Diablo shop.
02/11/2019 05:04 PMPosted by DreamTeam
I just started playing Heroes of the Storm 2.5 months ago. Close to Thanksgiving time. And I've already spent $300 dollars on the game. And maybe even a few hundred more in the future with skins now being directly purchasable with money (gems) in the upcoming patch.

I didn't even think I'd enjoy Heroes of the Storm when I first started playing. I just wanted to reach player level 12 for the free Diablo 3 portrait frame and pennant. And since then I've been playing HoTS every day. Some days I don't even have time to play Diablo 3 because I prioritize Heroes of the Storm first and then Diablo 3. HoTS somehow became my go-to game. It was only supposed to be my secondary game.

I'm in my late 30's and here I am playing a MOBA. LOL, who knew. I still love Diablo with a passion but I wish there were more things I could spend my money on. The Diablo shop in the U.S. has little to buy. I'm still patiently waiting for the Diablo 3 shop to have things I can purchase: stash tabs, pets, wings, pennants, etc... etc... Like the Diablo 3 in China has. They have a wide variety of goodies you can buy.

The only two games I play right now. Heroes of the Storm and Diablo 3. At the moment I'm very loyal to Blizzard and I don't have a desire to play anything else. I would love very much for Diablo 3 to take my money but they offer nothing to purchase in the Diablo shop.

I think the funniest part about all of this is that I agree. HotS and D3 are actually decent.

But Blizzard deems them to be failures, for reasons I am not quite sure (each has brought in a very good amount of money). The fans like the games, Yet they want to abandon it, and for what?

RoS took a rather unplayable game in D3, and made it very solid. Had they took that level of improvement and launched an additional Xpac, PoE may not be the king atm.
And I don't want to hear none of this "but Diablo 4 is just around the corner" talk. If that were true wouldn't we have seen a trailer or even a couple screenshots by now? For there not to be any official word from Blizzard just means it's nowhere near done.

I'm not trying to be over 40 years old by the time Diablo 4 is released. I want to enjoy the next two or three years playing the games we already have. Which is why I don't understand why a second Diablo 3 expansion was supposedly cancelled. That could have been fun to play and bought Blizzard a lot more time to work on DIablo 4.

I just want to have fun and play something right now. I don't mind being patient and waiting for future Diablo projects, but given the fact that the last BlizzCon was such a disaster and so much time continues to go by with little news. It's understandable why so many people are frustrated.
02/11/2019 05:11 PMPosted by DreamTeam
And I don't want to hear none of this "but Diablo 4 is just around the corner" talk. If that were true wouldn't we have seen a trailer or even a couple screenshots by now? For there not to be any official word from Blizzard just means it's nowhere near done.

Blizzard has never once given any indication whatsoever that there will be a Diablo 4. The community, for some odd reason, keeps saying there will be. All the hype around the Diablo Immortal announcement was hoping it was Diablo 4, and since they didn't even utter "diablo" and "four" in the same sentence the entire time people still think it's in the making in the anywhere near future. We'll probably get Fallout 5 before another real Diablo game
02/12/2019 12:36 AMPosted by MarioDragon
02/11/2019 05:11 PMPosted by DreamTeam

Blizzard has never once given any indication whatsoever that there will be a Diablo 4. The community, for some odd reason, keeps saying there will be. All the hype around the Diablo Immortal announcement was hoping it was Diablo 4, and since they didn't even utter "diablo" and "four" in the same sentence the entire time people still think it's in the making in the anywhere near future. We'll probably get Fallout 5 before another real Diablo game

Well, people are calling it Diablo 4 because it's easier to call it that way since it's something they are working on given the amount of hiring that went to the unannounced project over the past 18 months or so. No one knows when something about that will be announced and you can't stop people from speculating and hyping themselves up. The video Nev posted back in August didn't start the hype train and if we're real about things - the magnitude of the disappointment was determined by the height of our expectations, even though we were told to curb our expectations.
02/12/2019 12:51 AMPosted by KushiSensei
02/12/2019 12:36 AMPosted by MarioDragon

Well, people are calling it Diablo 4 because it's easier to call it that way since it's something they are working on given the amount of hiring that went to the unannounced project over the past 18 months or so. No one knows when something about that will be announced and you can't stop people from speculating and hyping themselves up. The video Nev posted back in August didn't start the hype train and if we're real about things - the magnitude of the disappointment was determined by the height of our expectations, even though we were told to curb our expectations.

And they are still hiring for that unannounced diablo game... clearly something is coming, but the most pessimistic fans will deny it until the day it is revealed.
02/12/2019 12:58 AMPosted by Imperius
02/12/2019 12:51 AMPosted by KushiSensei

And they are still hiring for that unannounced diablo game... clearly something is coming, but the most pessimistic fans will deny it until the day it is revealed.

Starcraft Ghost was actually revealed. It still never came out. Even it being "revealed" doesn't mean much
02/12/2019 05:30 AMPosted by Legacy
02/12/2019 12:58 AMPosted by Imperius

Starcraft Ghost was actually revealed. It still never came out. Even it being "revealed" doesn't mean much

Starcraft Ghost is one of the catalyzing reasons that Blizzard no longer shows early trailers and concepts, or talks about unreleased games before they are near finished. :)

And as for the hiring, it's amazing if you actually look at it. It looks like they want people for the unannounced diablo project with hefty experience in RPG/Tabletop RPG games. They're even looking for someone to do quests. It's almost sounding like a full fledged Diablo RPG - especially when you consider they hired the guy from The Witcher.

Diablo 1 came from ?

Answers are Warhammer (both Starcraft and Warcraft) and Crusader: No Remorse (Diablo)
02/12/2019 05:47 AMPosted by naksiloth

Diablo 1 came from ?

Answers are Warhammer (both Starcraft and Warcraft) and Crusader: No Remorse (Diablo)

Development on Diablo started 8 months prior to Crusader: No Remorse releasing. So I mean...it's possible... that Crusader shaped the real-time aspects of Diablo, but not the actual game design in any way.

Also, god, I haven't played Crusader in AGES.
02/10/2019 11:17 AMPosted by Kiadaw
Mobile gaming isn't going away, & in fact only getting larger.

The problem is, while mobile gaming is a big pie, there are many more studios wanting a piece of the pie.

When TV came out, people speculated it will kill cinema. But it didn't. Turned out the experience is difference.

This will be same with mobile & PC/console. They provide different experiences.

Which is why they should be targeting all markets rather than doubling down on the mobile market. Some people aren’t interested in different experiences, or have to make choices as to which experience they can get due to time and/or financial concerns.

I have zero interest in the mobile market, for example. Even if I thought it was gonna be a great experience - which I don’t - I have far too much invested in the console and PC gaming experiences to add another one. Further, mobile tech isn’t at the point (nor do I think it can get to the point) of rivaling my giant 4K TV and 4K monitor(s).