Blizzard facing mass layoffs?

Games & Technology
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
02/09/2019 09:40 AMPosted by Melos
I think it's good news. Blizzard needs to learn that they can't treat their customers so badly like they have been. There are consequences and they need to learn to be humble.

No it's not good news at all. A coder or level designer making industry wage doesn't need to be humbled. A CM making even less doesn't need to be humbled. They need to pay their light bills and go grocery shopping like the rest of us. Those are the people who will most likely get the axe because of this, not the people above them who make the bad decisions that put the company in this position to begin with.
02/12/2019 05:54 AMPosted by Linkdead

Development on Diablo started 8 months prior to Crusader: No Remorse releasing. So I mean...it's possible... that Crusader shaped the real-time aspects of Diablo, but not the actual game design in any way.

C:NR released '95, D1 released very end of '96; 31st December. That's more than a year to gather and turn it around.
Also D1 at Brevik's lead supposed to be released as a turn based rogue-like, until he saw the potential of real time combat introduced by the fellow developers at Silicon&Synapse (Blizzard).

As for game design Diablo borrowed mechanics from tabletop RP games that developers played. From David Brevik's post mortem talk they played mainly D&D and Warhammer.
it's the greedy capitalism at it again
Rumours say people are waiting in the parking lot, crying. This is bad.
02/12/2019 10:20 AMPosted by Bubba

Mostly because they don't know if the people they hug are going to have a job after today. i'd be in tears as well.

no one knows what's going to happen today and the stress is getting to a lot of people. the least we can do as a community is try to be respectful at least for today. There are people's livelihood at stake here. it's no laughing matter.
02/12/2019 10:26 AMPosted by KushiSensei

Mostly because they don't know if the people they hug are going to have a job after today. i'd be in tears as well.

no one knows what's going to happen today and the stress is getting to a lot of people. the least we can do as a community is try to be respectful at least for today. There are people's livelihood at stake here. it's no laughing matter.

I am going to agree with this. Not knowing is scary as heck. People are really stressed. Also, many Blizzard staff are really good friends. They don't know if they are going to see their friends again in a work capacity.

I really really hope the job cuts are not at Blizzard, but are at Activision or the ATVI holding company.

We won't know until later though. No matter what you think of the holding company or some of the executive decisions lately, there is never anything good about the folks in the trenches suffering job loss and life disruption like that.

Also remember, Blizzard is turning a large profit. The issue is the profit is not BIG enough to please the greedy investors. So suits streamline...and in doing so many destroy what good is left.

Esports employees are particularly at risk. They have a relatively small team and recently the game they were working on was deemed not good enough.

They are right to be worried, because they are expendable
02/12/2019 10:36 AMPosted by Imperius
Esports employees are particularly at risk. They have a relatively small team and recently the game they were working on was deemed not good enough.

They took some big risks with esports and I don't think that is paying off they way they wanted (see ending the HotS esports events). I feel that those folks really may be at risk.

I also feel the folks associated with Destiny in Activision are at high risk now that Bungie has the rights to it back.

I really want our Diablo team left alone. If not, we won't be getting the new PC game we all want. The hiring message on the launcher is a good sign they are still funded and working on something new for us.
02/12/2019 10:36 AMPosted by Imperius

Blizzard has a habit of shuffling people around to different teams if their projects don't pan out. I assumed that a majority of the layoffs would come from MLG and Activision, since those are the two companies hit the hardest with recent decisions. Only time will tell, though.

I am not laughing. I feel for these people and one of my favourite studios.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1095374774728048640?s=21

This is just sad to see.

Nobody is safe right now
02/12/2019 10:43 AMPosted by Linkdead
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Blizzard has a habit of shuffling people around to different teams if their projects don't pan out. I assumed that a majority of the layoffs would come from MLG and Activision, since those are the two companies hit the hardest with recent decisions. Only time will tell, though.

Well, Blizzard doesn't have a lot of expendable employees. They have tons of ongoing games and hirings prove there's plenty of job opportunities for those games. HotS was a disappointment and they pretty much already know they are expendable.

Activision is basically Crash, Spyro and CoD. I don't even know how they managed to get so big.

Activision Blizzard doesn't need the people who worked on Destiny 2 anymore, so there's those employees who are at risk.
02/12/2019 11:01 AMPosted by Imperius
Well, Blizzard doesn't have a lot of expendable employees. They have tons of ongoing games and hirings prove there's plenty of job opportunities for those games. HotS was a disappointment and they pretty much already know they are expendable.

Activision is basically Crash, Spyro and CoD. I don't even know how they managed to get so big.

Activision Blizzard doesn't need to people who worked on Destiny 2 anymore, so there's those employees who are at risk.

I'm convinced you'd be the guy on the top of the titanic as it's sinking going "I don't see the problem guys, I'm very dry. What's all the noise about?"
Are people still going to defend ActiBlizzard if it is Blizzard employees getting the axe?
Wouldn't you just be as ugly as them for supporting the chopping block their heads are going to sit on?
02/12/2019 11:04 AMPosted by Kithelle

Activision Blizzard doesn't need to people who worked on Destiny 2 anymore, so there's those employees who are at risk.

I'm convinced you'd be the guy on the top of the titanic as it's sinking going "I don't see the problem guys, I'm very dry. What's all the noise about?"

Oh look, another comment towards me that doesn't bring anything of relevance to the table. How surprising.
02/12/2019 11:07 AMPosted by Exuri
Are people still going to defend ActiBlizzard if it is Blizzard employees getting the axe?
Wouldn't you just be as ugly as them for supporting the chopping block their heads are going to sit on?

Some of us aren't defending actiblizzard. We're just happy and hopeful that Blizzard shouldn't be facing the big axe that some people think that are. It sucks if it's going to happen, no matter what - but personally, as a selfish person, I'd rather it happen to MLG or Activision (or even King), than Blizzard.

I doubt it'll be much to do with the Diablo team, at least, as it'd be odd if they were hiring for the team that they're firing people from. >.>

Oh look, another comment towards me that doesn't bring anything of relevance to the table. How surprising.

It's really hard to ignore your gas to fire smoke show most times.
I don't blame anyone for coming at you, considering your track record of owning up to wrongs and blatant knowledge of those events and pretending like what you say didn't matter tells us what you say really doesn't matter. ::shrug::

Anyways, do you support the firings about to happen? You said it was the Destiny 2 lodge going to be burned down we'll see if that's one of your couple actually correct predictions.

It does not really matter what team or company gets hit does it? This is real, these are real people. There is nothing good about it PERIOD!

My thoughts are with these guys today.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's really hard to ignore your gas to fire smoke show most times.
I don't blame anyone for coming at you, considering your track record of owning up to wrongs and blatant knowledge of those events and pretending like what you say didn't matter tells us what you say really doesn't matter. ::shrug::

Anyways, do you support the firings about to happen? You said it was the Destiny 2 lodge going to be burned down we'll see if that's one of your couple actually correct predictions.

I mentioned esports employees at Blizzard (HotS), Activision Blizzard (Destiny 2) and Activision in general (relies too much on CoD and has a real lack of successful games beside that).

Either way, I am speculating. The Diablo team doesn't look like it's in danger considering the amount of employees they are and were hiring up until right now.