Pillar of the Ancients vs Explosive Light

Monk
Last night I decided to play around with Pillar of the Ancients while pushing some greater rifts on my seasonal monk:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Dreyda-1763/hero/99289835

I actually finished GR91 using PotA, which I couldn't do with Explosive Light, but I am noticing some weird damage interactions that I cannot explain. Every once in a while, there is a crazy burst of damage that I cannot attribute to anything. I regularly stand in Occy Ring and I know how much damage I can normally deal while in the buff circle and my COE rotates over to lightning, but there are times when I get bursts of damage that are FAR greater than even both of those combined.

As an example, I was farming GR80s when I was originally testing PotA. It normally takes me about 20 seconds to kill the RG at that level with two lightning rotations on COE, but on one of my runs, the RG literally died in under a second. This huge spike in damage happens pretty regularly, but I cannot figure out what is causing it. It seems like it happens with my COE lightning cycles, but it gives a much bigger damage boost than normal. It's almost as if sometimes my Pillars are double or triple dipping on the COE buff.

If anyone has any information or experience with this happening while using PotA rune, I'd appreciate if you could share it!

Edit: Testing this a bit more and it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with COE, but it's effect is magnified a lot if it happens during the lightning rotation. It seems like it has to do with the Pillars summoned by the Rabid Strike clones.
Maybe something like the marauders snapshot thing.

Did you see this spikes after using your potion maybe?
02/03/2019 08:28 AMPosted by Diavel
Maybe something like the marauders snapshot thing.

Did you see this spikes after using your potion maybe?

It happens when I'm not using my potion, so I can rule that out. That was my first thought, too, so I specifically tried different things with my potion.

It seems to be about a 500% damage increase, that affects the initial damage of the pillars for sure and I believe it's affecting the lightning zaps from the pillars as well. During my lightning COE buff, pillars normally deal about 250B when landing, but when this effect kicks in, they hit for about 1.3T. I'm still trying to tell if it is only affecting my clones' pillars or not though. It's a bit tricky to figure out because of the sheer amount of damage numbers that pop up with this build.
Just sounds like you're seeing your Crit damage. I notice these spikes whenever I play WOL, it seems more visually apparent than with other playstyles.
02/03/2019 10:11 AMPosted by ragman
Just sounds like you're seeing your Crit damage. I notice these spikes whenever I play WOL, it seems more visually apparent than with other playstyles.

The damage numbers I'm talking about is only referring to crits. I don't bother looking at the white numbers. During my lightning buff, the pillars normally crit for 250B, but I've seen them crit for as much as 1.3T (it popped up as 1311B on the screen) during a lightning buff without a power pylon or any other buff present of which I'm aware. I'm trying to figure out what I could possibly be missing that is giving me that much extra damage and that was where my original factor of about a 500% damage increase came from.

Assuming I'm standing in Occy Ring and my enchantress has the target mind controlled, that would still only make the damage around 600B. However, I've seen it happen during at least two rift guardians now, where the rift guardian can't be mind controlled and I wasn't in Occy Ring's effect. In both cases, the rift guardian literally died about a second after becoming active. GR80 rift guardians have around 9 trillion health. How is it possible I'm dealing 9 trillion damage in a second when my hardest hitting ability, during my lightning buff, normally only deals about 250B on a crit? Something just isn't adding up. Even a 500% damage increase wouldn't account for me dealing 9 trillion damage in a second.
When you use pillars, you can already cast them at the guardian when he appears - but it won't hurt him yet.

Given 2 APS, you can cast 6 Pillars at the guardian. Per second damage is up, so it could be that you instakill the guardian as soon as your pillars can damage it. Explains the "kill in a second", combined with the first double pillar from RS.

Might be this?
02/06/2019 03:04 AMPosted by RiemeKüsu
When you use pillars, you can already cast them at the guardian when he appears - but it won't hurt him yet.

Given 2 APS, you can cast 6 Pillars at the guardian. Per second damage is up, so it could be that you instakill the guardian as soon as your pillars can damage it. Explains the "kill in a second", combined with the first double pillar from RS.

Might be this?

If that were the case, every RG where I have enough time to pre-cast Pillars would go down in about a second though, which definitely isn't the case. I pre-cast Pillars on every guardian assuming it spawns close enough and I've only seen the extremely fast kills a couple times now.

I do believe that it is the DOT from PotA exclusively that is getting the damage buff I mentioned. I've seen a few more 1.3T+ hits and they're happening when lightning zaps out from the pillars. I'm thinking that the DOT portion is double dipping on a damage buff, perhaps even the Inna 6-set buff. The normal DOT ticks are for around 18-19 billion outside COE's lightning buff, so assuming the DOT was sometimes double dipping on the Inna's 6-set, that would bring it up to the 1.3T - 1.4T range. I would think during the COE buff I'd see ticks around 4T, but I haven't seen anything hit that high without a power pylon yet.
I'll have a test on this - can't really imagine that. The thing that seems strange to me is 18-19bn ticks that go up to 1.3 - 1.4tn. No relations of sets or multipliers fit in.

You don't play with Bindings of the Lesser Gods / Enforcer, huh ?
02/06/2019 01:58 PMPosted by RiemeKüsu
I'll have a test on this - can't really imagine that. The thing that seems strange to me is 18-19bn ticks that go up to 1.3 - 1.4tn. No relations of sets or multipliers fit in.

You don't play with Bindings of the Lesser Gods / Enforcer, huh ?

I don't use Bindings or Enforcer, currently. The 18B to 1.3T is a difference of around 7500%. That's why my thought was the the Inna 6 piece getting applied twice.

I know it's not from using a potion like the marauder bug was. I've tested that pretty thoroughly. After reading the monk mechanics thread, i thought maybe it had to do with the Inna bonus applying and then getting applied again somehow when a clone is summoned because the Inna bonus counts clones as allies.

To my recollection, I've only seen this damage increase when I numlock epiphany during greater rifts, which makes me think it has to do with clones. I generally don't use epiphany at all when just running regular t13 rifts. But most mobs die instantly to the initial damage in t13, so that might be why I'm not noticing it.
may you can check the following:
- due to Numlock and high CDR, EPI is casted sometimes at shorter intervals <15s
(assuming 13s)
- the given DOT damage gets an additional x76 Multiplier, if the target is affected by a new mimicked pillar bell within that 2s time window
- for later times the first multiplier vanishes

anyway, a COE Buff would be possible in that case

edit: just a theory
Thats quite interesting.

IF that mimic is the reason...

And the x76 multiplier is a real thing, that is also maybe possible to change the meta if you ask me. (a bit depending on how much zaps happen and if they only singletargeting or multi)

Imagine, you could work that bindings of the lesser god in (x3 multiplier) and get to learn how to play it so that every lightning phase you get that snapshot to happen.
... and it means you should go for as much CDR and IAS as possible?
02/07/2019 06:43 AMPosted by Diavel

Imagine, you could work that bindings of the lesser god in (x3 multiplier) and get to learn how to play it so that every lightning phase you get that snapshot to happen.

Unfortunately there is no room for BotLG in a Inna WoL build unless you replace Pinto's (which is a bad idea since Pinto's affects your WoL and the RS clone's WoL). Now if the RS clones can be the cause of double dipping, LoN WoL can equip BotLG and Pinto's (one cubed and one equipped) and the RS clone's WoL should be significantly more powerful than yours when the pieces line up.
i ve to say, it s just a theory, what could happen matching dreydas damage values

and, if it s a real thing, there has to be such somehow crazy interaction
otherwise it would happen everytime, if i got it right it doesn t
02/07/2019 03:58 AMPosted by Lutzer
may you can check the following:
- due to Numlock and high CDR, EPI is casted sometimes at shorter intervals <15s
(assuming 13s)
- the given DOT damage gets an additional x76 Multiplier, if the target is affected by a new mimicked pillar bell within that 2s time window
- for later times the first multiplier vanishes

anyway, a COE Buff would be possible in that case

edit: just a theory

Never thought of this possibility, but I definitely run enough CDR where this would be possible. I don't remember seeing significantly more damage during channelling pylons though. It could be something to do with casting WOL while epiphany is already active and then the numlock immediately recasting epiphany. I have definitely seen two clones spawn at the same time, but only one casts the pillar while the other just stands there stationary until it fades away. I've always assumed that was just a visual bug.

Figured I'd also add in that I do use the activated mystic allies ability frequently. I have no idea if the sacrificed ally or the exploding fire allies affect the Inna buff in any way. If so, this may be forcing POTA to check for the Inna buff multiple times during its 3 second life?
02/07/2019 10:02 AMPosted by Dreyda

Figured I'd also add in that I do use the activated mystic allies ability frequently. I have no idea if the sacrificed ally or the exploding fire allies affect the Inna buff in any way. If so, this may be forcing POTA to check for the Inna buff multiple times during its 3 second life?

I remember a while back someone asked if the dual fire allies splitting into 5 allies each would ramp Inna 6 damage momentarily. It would take you from 10 allies to 19 including the RS clone! Need to dig through Davlok's Testing Shack thread for Inna mechanics.
i did one run with lightning and did not see anything. i x tra choose a high lvl but no melting down seen yet. maybe it needs more testing :) probably one can try to use allys on a far away location so that they do not xplode insta (saw this sometimes).
Ive ran some grift100 yesterday with PotA rune, too.

Havent noticed anything yet. Tried different potion / MA / epi - snapshottheories but couldnt find any.

Also dropped the tzo in favour of innas, equipped crudest boots and ran with Botlg bracers in cube and the legendary pet gem instead of stricken.
Super annoying to play and the only noticeable damage increase came from the MA if i activate them during coldphase...
Also tried the potion / MA / epi theories in this spec a bit and couldnt figure out any significant increase.
It might just be the crits that get leveraged through Innas, explorer etc. ...

18-20bn is rather low for I6 Wol, but 1.2 - 1.3bn could simply be the crits.