It's time to look at the franchise

General Discussion
Let's look at the facts as they are now.

1) Diablo 3 Fan sites are leaving because of very low active player base, both on fan sties, and in game.

A) There has not been anything added to the game to keep people excited about it. S16 was just something to make people happy because they could reach a higher GR that they could not do before. It is like putting a carrot in front of a horse to keep them going.

2) Clan mates roll up their sleeves for about 2-3 weeks and start disappearing rather quickly after that.

A) Season journey at the beginning keeps people going. Then the farm GR keys, run GR's to farm gear and level stones. Rinse and repeat for weeks and months. People lose interest rather quickly with that model. Then trying to find someone to play with gets difficult because they feel the same, and quit till next season.

So long as this model continues, we will get the same results we have now. I believe that another build and/or more content will not improve where we are at now for very long. With the dwindling player base it does not justify the time and money to try to revitalize what is already failing.

I believe we need to focus on the franchise. Diablo 4/world/or whatever you would like to call it. Here are a few suggestions, and please everyone add to it.

With tech the way it is now... MORE eye candy.

Make the game more modular, meaning every year a new module comes out. More maps or enlarged areas. New class even. New objectives. ($29.99 per module optional purchase.)

Rebuild crafting. You don't always have the items you need, and having the ability to craft items so we do not have to rely on just getting set items, and ancients. It would open up the world for making custom builds so we do not have to rely on blizz to make us cookie cutter builds. Give us the ability to get creative, and it will drive the community.

Classes...… Every season is always the same. The same four classes at the top of the Leader boards. Boring. That can also change the dynamics of the teams by changing how classes can interact with each other in group games. Healer class, Scout class, and more.

Events... Create events that a party must work together at to complete to receive special useable items, Set a goal that should take an hour to complete and gets "x" item. Two hour quest completed gets "y" item. The idea is they have to work together to complete it. Much more of a social environment, and drives people work together. If they don’t work together they fail and get nothing.

Ok so now the community gets to add some thought. Keep it going peeps.
Crafting changes. Stop with the heavily weighted RNG on crafted or enchanted gear already.

We need a method to salvage a piece of gear for one of the mods on it, then be able to craft a new item with salvaged mods, or add those mods to existing items.
03/07/2019 12:06 AMPosted by Traveler
Crafting changes. Stop with the heavily weighted RNG on crafted or enchanted gear already.

We need a method to salvage a piece of gear for one of the mods on it, then be able to craft a new item with salvaged mods, or add those mods to existing items.

So what you want is a Skyrim form of crafting.. I suppose it's better than the way we have it now.
ships sailed homie
A game like this needs constant updates/patches with new stuff to keep people intrested/hyped. No such thing in D3 for a long time, s16 was a step in the right direction but it is really nothing compared to PoE "seasons".
03/07/2019 04:30 AMPosted by Gravity
ships sailed homie

Haha not only sailed, but already been sunken somewhere xDD
Diablo "live service" ... Nope.
I loved d3 back in the day but now i play PoE and it blows d3 out of the water especially endgame. The only thing d3 has over PoE is a defined game engine/smoothness and lore but other than that the game is dead to me now. We'll see about the future tho.
The franchise is dead.
03/06/2019 11:50 PMPosted by Nadda
Let's look at the facts as they are now.

1) Diablo 3 Fan sites are leaving because of very low active player base, both on fan sties, and in game.

A) There has not been anything added to the game to keep people excited about it. S16 was just something to make people happy because they could reach a higher GR that they could not do before. It is like putting a carrot in front of a horse to keep them going.

2) Clan mates roll up their sleeves for about 2-3 weeks and start disappearing rather quickly after that.

A) Season journey at the beginning keeps people going. Then the farm GR keys, run GR's to farm gear and level stones. Rinse and repeat for weeks and months. People lose interest rather quickly with that model. Then trying to find someone to play with gets difficult because they feel the same, and quit till next season.

So long as this model continues, we will get the same results we have now. I believe that another build and/or more content will not improve where we are at now for very long. With the dwindling player base it does not justify the time and money to try to revitalize what is already failing.

I believe we need to focus on the franchise. Diablo 4/world/or whatever you would like to call it. Here are a few suggestions, and please everyone add to it.

With tech the way it is now... MORE eye candy.

Make the game more modular, meaning every year a new module comes out. More maps or enlarged areas. New class even. New objectives. ($29.99 per module optional purchase.)

Rebuild crafting. You don't always have the items you need, and having the ability to craft items so we do not have to rely on just getting set items, and ancients. It would open up the world for making custom builds so we do not have to rely on blizz to make us cookie cutter builds. Give us the ability to get creative, and it will drive the community.

Classes...… Every season is always the same. The same four classes at the top of the Leader boards. Boring. That can also change the dynamics of the teams by changing how classes can interact with each other in group games. Healer class, Scout class, and more.

Events... Create events that a party must work together at to complete to receive special useable items, Set a goal that should take an hour to complete and gets "x" item. Two hour quest completed gets "y" item. The idea is they have to work together to complete it. Much more of a social environment, and drives people work together. If they don’t work together they fail and get nothing.

Ok so now the community gets to add some thought. Keep it going peeps.

Check out warhammer chaosbane, beta is recently out. It is definitely better than D3.
03/07/2019 04:30 AMPosted by Exalted
A game like this needs constant updates/patches with new stuff to keep people intrested/hyped. No such thing in D3 for a long time, s16 was a step in the right direction but it is really nothing compared to PoE "seasons".

Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, and Diablo 2 prove you don't need constant updates and patches or completely rework classes every couple of seasons for a game to be an amazing ARPG. Out of those three games, only Grim Dawn sees minor tweaks every once in a while and a new expansion coming. I still see a lot of players in those games and a lot of games accessible to play. I can't say the same for Diablo 3.

What they need to do is not make it so you can't progress through the game without the ridiculous damage bonuses that only sets provide. They need to allow for players to design creative builds and not nerf everything to the ground that working great without a set. They need to give different endgame options besides a time trial. They need to make the loot hunt an actual loot hunt and not just have non-stop legendary gear raining down on us.

They would have to get the basic mechanics and game options developed correctly before they consider anything like new classes. New classes tossed into D3 all willy-nilly don't work, just look at the necro. it played slightly different than the other classes, sure. But at the end of the day you still have too few gameplay options to keep people's attention. Restrictive builds and a time trial do not make a great game.
The first thing they need is talent. If I was new talent looking for a job I would go to a smaller company that values their employees and is growing. Not one that is cutting jobs and has the same 2 or 3 decades old stagnant IP's.