how will firing 800 employees affect d3?

General Discussion
What's gonna happen?
Nothing. D3 barely had any on it to begin with.
Interns aren't normally paid, so no reason to fire them, and i'm sure the hamster powering the servers, works for cheap.
We have not had anything major added to D3 in 1.5 years. Don't expect anything new.
Now they can afford to hire more people for Diablo games...
There will be an increase of 20% on the diablo projects development, so a possitive impact on that part.
What happened to the "multiple projects" and "forges burning hot"?
02/13/2019 06:58 AMPosted by Howdypardner
D:I was one project and layoffs another. Forges were hot and now everything is burnt down.
DUMPSTER FIRE
02/13/2019 07:06 AMPosted by Ruined
02/13/2019 06:58 AMPosted by Howdypardner
D:I was one project and layoffs another. Forges were hot and now everything is burnt down.

Says Ruined. =)
02/13/2019 06:38 AMPosted by Bravata
What's gonna happen?

They just announced that some franchises will receive 20% more developers, and the list included Diablo...

I guess... It's not yet dead...
The Diablo franchise might not be dead, but D3 is on life support, and no one is in the room watching the monitor.
Everything I've heard says 3 things:

- This is ACTIVISION Blizzard, not just BLIZZARD firing 800 employees
and
- They are only really firing non-development employees
and
- They're actually hiring a number of people FOR Diablo development.

Diablo 3 doesn't undergo a ton of development as it is, so the only impact we might see would depend on Blizzcon 2019. If they announce Diablo 4 (Which still is entirely possible), you might see them start to maybe make seasons longer, or pare back support in general, but I wouldn't expect that until 2020, and that's assuming they announced a true sequel, or if Immortal actually ends up really popular.

On the subject of Immortal, honestly people should have seen it coming. D3 isn't well-monetized at all, whereas Mobile games reach a vastly larger audience and monetization in them is way more palatable to the consumer.

I wouldn't think that precludes the possibility of D4, but it may lower its priority.

Personally, as much as I love the classic Diablo experience, if Immortal is actually a good mobile game, I welcome it. On one hand, I get why people are so upset about it, but I don't think this timeline is quite as dark as some seem to think.

My biggest takeaway from these firings is that I'm really glad I don't work in the mercurial-AF gaming industry.
02/13/2019 06:54 AMPosted by Randomice
There will be an increase of 20% on the diablo projects development, so a possitive impact on that part.

What is 20% of 0?
To be fair, they did mention in the quarterly report that they are dedicating resources to Diablo. I am the doom lord about anything Blizzard in most cases recently, but this is showing they want to keep Diablo as a title and we can only hope that PC gets something out of it if you stick around till 2020 if you don't I don't blame you at all and I hope you don't support this company with a penny if so. I'd respect anyone 100% that uninstalls every game they have ever made right now and also encourage it.
02/13/2019 07:28 AMPosted by RedPanda
02/13/2019 06:54 AMPosted by Randomice

What is 20% of 0?

Jokes aside, keep in mind that project development is going to be different staff than the folks managing D3 right now. Blizzard might not have a lot of people dedicated to maintaining D3 on the development side, but they likely have quite a lot of people developing Diablo projects. By all account, it's probably the biggest iron in their fire right now, given the community demand for Diablo stuff.
They can outsource more development to less expensive Chinese firms.
02/13/2019 07:32 AMPosted by Coactus
02/13/2019 07:28 AMPosted by RedPanda

What is 20% of 0?

Jokes aside, keep in mind that project development is going to be different staff than the folks managing D3 right now. Blizzard might not have a lot of people dedicated to maintaining D3 on the development side, but they likely have quite a lot of people developing Diablo projects. By all account, it's probably the biggest iron in their fire right now, given the community demand for Diablo stuff.

Yeah i believe the number of people working on diablo projects! is way over 100 people. So 20% is a decent size. They need to do this as well because thet are showing us something for diablo this year. 100% certain on that
02/13/2019 08:06 AMPosted by Randomice
02/13/2019 07:32 AMPosted by Coactus

Yeah i believe the number of people working on diablo projects! is way over 100 people. So 20% is a decent size. They need to do this as well because thet are showing us something for diablo this year. 100% certain on that

It's not like they have much of a choice now... 1 disaster should be enough for anyone... ;)