Clarification on Star Pact Wizard

Blizzard Archive
1 2 3 5 Next
We are aware of an interaction between Meteor (Star Pact), Deathwish, and Etched Sigil that some players are using at high level (Greater Rift 148+) play that produces a brief increase in damage. The theorycrafting community reached out to us regarding this interaction and its validity to clarify whether or not it would be considered an exploit.

After thorough review, discussion, and internal testing, we have determined that the amount of skill and timing required to pull off this combination is an alternative (and very challenging) way to play Star Pact Wizard rather than an exploit. We will, however, be keeping an eye on this over time and may consider balance changes in the future if it proves to be mandatory or hinders build variety.

As we continue to support Diablo III, we’d like to see the number of builds that feel powerful and fun over time expand. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’re excited to watch the community continue to experiment and inevitably discover more builds as time goes on!
that including archon ol' brandy girl?
Wow, lol kinda saw this coming with how ridiculously strong Bazooka Wizard is right now. I kinda want them to keep the build in the game, but then people using macros now have an even higher advantage when running Star Pact.

She didn't mention Archon, but it has to be what they're referring to no? ie. "brief increase in damage"
well the sigil and deathwish are operating exactly how the secondary says they will, so of course that would be ridiculous if it were defined as an "exploit". it is written in plain text in game what will happen if you channel in the right moment.

archon is different.. bazooka wizard is directly taking advantage of a window of opportunity to change into a different form, forcing the "channelling" to complete in the background, so you get the sigil, deathwish, and archon stacks (x2 with overlap).

not mentioning archon is really beyond stupid. if you really are only referring to the "deathwish and sigil" star pact build, grats, you just noticed it's being used after a year+ of it being meta push build.
03/04/2019 02:37 PMPosted by Nevalistis
may consider balance changes in the future if it proves to be mandatory or hinders build variety
Adding zeroes after other items effects will make it not mandatory for sure, but will the people enjoy speed farming GR150 then? Or you want the Challenge Rifts LBs with 5 minute clear times to start feeling good?
As we continue to support Diablo III, we’d like to see the number of builds that feel powerful and fun over time expand.

Glad to hear that :) I have a suggestion to help make that happen: update the crafted sets and legendaries, buff the followers' damage skills, and improve the non-immortal legendary follower tokens. If the crafted sets became worthy support sets when used with class sets, characters and builds could specialize further.

Any of the level 70 crafted sets with 4 pieces should add some damage and/or defensive bonuses...

1. Asheara's--(4-piece bonus) Perms all 3 followers, and grants 100% more damage to you and your followers so long as at least one is still standing.
*Unity/immortal token pairings limited to ONE.

^I have a Tal/Ash build, and it is fun, but it is annoying when my followers disappear in the middle of a battle :(
(Besides, to really configure all 3 followers for a "party" of sorts, you need to play 3 classes to find gear for them (Wizard, Demon Hunter, and Barbarian/Crusader)--and that can take a while.)

2. Aughild's--bonuses vs. elites (damage reduction and increased damage) and something new to spice it up.

3. Demon's Hide--reflect projectiles, 50% chance to do area damage on hit, bonuses (20% damage?) vs. Demons and Beasts, and 50% damage reduction for 8 seconds after doing area damage to a target.

4. Cain's--still the magic find set with bonus exp, but a bonus multiplier vs. normal mobs (30% damage vs. white mobs) would improve farming speed.
*That's just a few....

FOLLOWERS
1. All follower damage skills can be multiplied by 10 in terms of damage. (Templar's Overpower goes from 800% to 8000%, and so on...)
*It's pretty sad that item procs (Band of the Hollow Whispers--Haunt, Moonlight Ward's orbs, Azurewrath's aura, and BK Wedding Band's drain life aura, etc.) all do more damage than the followers' actual SKILLS (special attacks).

2. Follower natural health regeneration and the templar's "Loyalty" regeneration amounts can be TRIPLED.

3. Let the Scoundrel use a QUIVER, though he can't use the bonuses to DH skills. He could still benefit from the extra stats, attack speed, and Crit Chance.

4. Crowd control skills and other buffs (Anatomy, Hysteria, from Erosion (+damage from all sources to affected), attack speed, resource regeneration, armor spells, etc.) can stay the same.

5. The Cooldown and All-skills legendary tokens should also grant followers 90% damage reduction in addition to their current benefits. *This would make them a bit more durable, but not hideously overpowered (they would still have LESS toughness than nephalem even with that 90% buff).

OTHER:
Firebird's could have the required stacks for max damage reduced from 20 to 5... Right now, it's great vs. elites but sucks vs. trash mobs. This change would improve its performance without increasing the set's damage.
As we continue to support Diablo III

Just so the Europeans continue to feel supported as well could you post this over on the EU General Discussion forum too?
yeah, its no exploit but pls analyse players timing. if it always fits super perfect ban him cuz of using macro. that would melt the effect down to normal. absolute outragous dmg with a probability <1 would be fair for non macroing players that play "normal builds"
Good for the Wizards, glad to see them back on top yet again. Now if the Dev's could possibly fix the the Wastes Zodiac WW Barb Set with some non exploit buffs so we could also do MEGA damage, instead of slapping the Monsters around with what feels like 2 pom-poms and a wet noodle!
It is about time to make Barbs Great Again, starting with the most neglected set in the game.
How about you make the Witch Doctor a priority cause it's the weakest class right now!
03/05/2019 05:24 PMPosted by SeaBigBear
How about you make the Witch Doctor a priority cause it's the weakest class right now!

It might help them out more if you tell them what set you play and give some ideas of what you think is wrong with it and suggestions for improvement. Your above statement offers them no input whatsoever.
Hah i can see it coming!

Wizard skills are soo snapshotted at the moment they are fired.

Aaaaand were back in the stony age, where GR135 is max.
Blizz, can you please give all wizards link to the lon32 macro / script then? :) Since when you let a build in D3 that depends on using macros to be even playable?
If I have 150ms+ ping then I can't use it because the 'window' when I need to enter Archon form is so short I just don't have enough time to do that and fail. Gating players behind a script/macro and low ping is not good imo.
03/05/2019 07:52 AMPosted by Atomfurz
yeah, its no exploit but pls analyse players timing. if it always fits super perfect ban him cuz of using macro. that would melt the effect down to normal. absolute outragous dmg with a probability <1 would be fair for non macroing players that play "normal builds"

Man it is almost impossible humanly play that build without a macro :D All the wizards using this abuse play with a macro. If you play manually you might be able pull off like 60-70% of rotations at best. IF you are lucky enough.
03/06/2019 10:43 AMPosted by Garfunkel
If I have 150ms+ ping then I can't use it because the 'window' when I need to enter Archon form is so short I just don't have enough time to do that and fail.
A consistent high ping has no effect on the executability of LoN32; as long as your sequence is correctly timed clientside the underlying network protocols will make sure that the server will receive your key inputs in the correct order and with the correct time spacing. Only large changes (relatively speaking) of your ping will actually influence LoN32's executability; and those commonly occur with "laggs" in high density Greater Rifts. Those laggs will render the executability of LoN32 impossible (regardless if humanly or non-humanly played).

Metaphorically speaking, think about you sending Morse-Encoded-Messages to a friend with a flashlight in outer space. The distance between the two of you doesn't have an impact at all on the payload; the messages will be correctly encoded and decoded by either one of you. The travel time for a light signal between you and your friend is the latency (ping) in this case; whether or not it takes 1ms for that message to travel or 3600s doesn't matter - the payload will be transmitted correctly. Sure, the response time is way larger in the latter case, hence it feels like a clunky and slow discussion (meaning in this case the game will feel sluggish and less responsive).

The issue arises now, if either one of you is accelerating/decelerating while light signals are travelling. Suddenly the time-spacing between two signals is different for the receiver due to the occuring Doppler-Effect; the payload changed for the receiver. The distance (the latency) between you (the client) and your friend (the server) changed while your message (key sequence) was traveling.

This is why LoN32, or any build that has very high requirements to sequence-timed key-press events, has no problem with high pings; but crumbles when your ping is fluctuating with a high-relative amplitude.

This is why LoN32, or any build that has very high requirements to sequence-timed key-press events, has no problem with high pings; but crumbles when your ping is fluctuating with a high amplitude.

That was interesting to read but don't you think that something wrong's happening when I have the gear and not that bad paragon (4.6k at the moment) but ... I don't have the macro LOL :D to play a build? There used to be builds you needed good gear or paragon or skills to play efficiently now all you need is just press a macro button at right time. I personally don't like it maybe it is just me
03/06/2019 11:30 AMPosted by Garfunkel
That was interesting to read but don't you think that something wrong's happening when I have the gear and not that bad paragon (4.6k at the moment) but ... I don't have the macro LOL :D to play a build? There used to be builds you needed good gear or paragon or skills to play efficiently now all you need is just press a macro button at right time. I personally don't like it maybe it is just me
I wasn't arguing nor discussing that part. I just wanted to clarify that the following part
Gating players behind [...] low ping is not good imo.
is not the case and is a common misconception.
03/06/2019 11:20 AMPosted by sVr
A consistent high ping has no effect on the executability of LoN32; as long as your sequence is correctly timed clientside the underlying network protocols will make sure that the server will receive your key inputs in the correct order and with the correct time spacing.

Have you actually played D3 with high latency at 150+ms? You're only theoretically correct but wrong in reality due to the way they implement D3's netcode. Saying it is high latency unfriendly is an understatement.

Archon's Arcane Blast and Crusader's Condemn (with Frydehr's Wrath) both have a mini-cooldown of 0.5 seconds, so if you play with good latency you can cast them every 0.55~0.6 seconds. However if you try to do that at 150+ms I guarantee you the input will be denied and get a "Skill is not ready" error message even though the skill shows ready on your screen. You'd be lucky to cast them every 0.65 seconds.

Have you tried chain Vault on DH at 150+ms that you not only cast Vault noticeably slower than people with good latency but also sometimes get rubber band effect that the character just vaults back and forth like an idiot even though your mouse cursor is always in front of you character?

D3 is probably the only online-only game I've played that doesn't have latency-compensation but instead penalize you for having high latency. I mean what other game blocks and adds additional delay to your input attempts when you press a skill button just 0.1 seconds too early that you have to wait like 0.5 seconds before your input can go through? It's extremely inefficient to use numlock trick (or just spam the buttons) on Arcane Blast or Condemn due to exactly this issue.
That's what happens when you leave itemization in unbalanced and uneven mess.