Disgusting layoffs, Activision

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
02/12/2019 03:50 PMPosted by lazy
A real leader would take responsibility and would have halved his salary first before destroying hundreads of familys. They don’t cut down their loyal workers to make investors happy. This is so disgusting.

That's why I have all my respects to Satoru Iwata. Was a great leader on moments of needs. Nintendo is a great company thanks to him. The world needs more men like him. Sadly is no more with us.
The stock isn't up on the best year in history -- the stock market is always forward looking rather than backwards looking.

My guess is it's up either because:

(1) most people knew 2019 would be terrible so it's a relief to get past the point where they guide to that, noting the stock is down 51% from its high already so a lot is priced in, or

(2) if you're a long-term investor they're doing exactly what you want them to do regarding heavily investing in more development talent and streamlining the development process, which should be good for 2020 and beyond.

Or probably both.
Satoru Itawa cut his salary in half for 5 months in January 2014 because the Wii U was a dismal failure and it was his 3rd year in a row (March 2012, 2013, 2014) where Nintendo lost money at the operating income level after decades of year-in year-out profitability.
I know this will be a hard post to like and may receive a lot of hate because I am not popular around these parts.

Do I agree with 776 people losing their jobs? Not really, this seems sad on the surface.

That being said, that is only 8% of their total staff. That means ~9600 people still have jobs. These were menial low end staff with no real direction. They did not represent Activision's vision, and they are restructuring how the company works. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they dropped the Blizzard name.

The people losing their jobs in question were the ones making poor decisions losing them paying customers of World of Warcraft, people in charge of key decisions of Diablo 3 and other franchises where they regularly refused to listen to player outcries. There was a steep decline in WoW subs. People simply did not want to put up with WoW-lite and moved onto other franchises. The messed up part was Activision gave Blizzard the green light to govern themselves most of the time.

The "creative efforts" team behind all the drama were the ones pulling flight from WoW new zones, inflicting poor game mechanics that leveled mobs with you, and catering to this very caustic group of players who drove everyone else away. Not the hardcore fans of the franchises we loved, no the plebs, they catered to the plebians who demanded things be easier, basically turning their games into glorified graphics benchmarks that looked gorgeous but lacked any kind of real game play that made the franchises great to begin with.

Activision rightly fired these people, and I say good riddance to cutting ties. Sad people lost income and I feel for them on a personal level, but the gamer inside of me hopes for a brighter tomorrow with a more wow-like wow. Maybe they can hire new talent that has played the originals, that could bring in some insight into how these games were meant to be experienced, instead of giving everyone welfare raids (aka LFR) and welfare gear from what amounts to a cheap mobile game.
02/14/2019 03:15 AMPosted by PonyKiller
The people losing their jobs in question were the ones making poor decisions losing them paying customers of World of Warcraft, people in charge of key decisions of Diablo 3 and other franchises where they regularly refused to listen to player outcries. There was a steep decline in WoW subs. People simply did not want to put up with WoW-lite and moved onto other franchises. The messed up part was Activision gave Blizzard the green light to govern themselves most of the time.

I think you need to really look at who actually lost their jobs before posting stuff like this.
I don't agree with that sentiment, PonyKiller

Some people on Activisions' side that were working with Bungie were fired because.. well, Activision is no longer working with Bungie so there's no point in keeping them hired if there aren't any openings in other departments that could utilize their skills.

Regarding the Firings over at Blizzard - I don't know about the WoW thing but if that was the case, the people responsible for staggered flight unlocks would have seen the axe coming in MoP or WoD. Same goes for D3. The thing is that Activision (to my skewed view) just wanted to cut jobs they deemed not worth the costs in order to cut costs so that could spend that money down the line in other things, like ridiculous bonuses to higher ups. Also, it could be so that they could pay the people who will join the other projects in the future or something. Or maybe they are just greedy bastards who cares more about the bottom line than the people who brings them there.

Whatever the case may be - Saying that those people fired were justified in light of having "the most successful year ever" is just tone deaf and quite frankly, to me, very insulting.
02/12/2019 04:11 PMPosted by Soma
A real leader would take responsibility and would have halved his salary first before destroying hundreads of familys. They don’t cut down their loyal workers to make investors happy. This is so disgusting.

HAHAHAHA !!!! where do you live cause that is hilarious in any capitalist society.

no CEO will do that , and compared to other multi billion dollar valued companies Blizzard's CEO makes way less.

Pls go look at Nintendo where their president did exactly that. Took responsibility for price cut on the 3DS.
02/12/2019 10:27 PMPosted by Jinx
(1) most people knew 2019 would be terrible so it's a relief to get past the point where they guide to that, noting the stock is down 51% from its high already so a lot is priced in, or

If I had to guess stocks are down due to the fact the only thing Blizz has announced plans for in 2019 are remakes and a mobile game that's D3 but on a phone. There's really nothing to get excited about as an investor...or a gamer.

02/14/2019 03:15 AMPosted by PonyKiller

You couldn't be more wrong. The people losing their jobs were the ones communicating on forums and involved in e-sports. WoW and D3 developers are fully intact to where they were a week ago.
It's heartbreaking to see what the gaming industry (Big Gaming) has become.
If I had to guess stocks are down due to the fact the only thing Blizz has announced plans for in 2019 are remakes and a mobile game that's D3 but on a phone. There's really nothing to get excited about as an investor...or a gamer.

ATVI stock is up after its result, not down.

Yesterday was the first trading day after the result and ATVI was up 7%. Today it's currently up another 3.4%.

It fell a lot before that of course, but the stock reaction to the actual results announcement and layoffs was positive.
Blizzard closes its offices in Mexico:

https://www.archynewsy.com/blizzard-closes-its-offices-in-mexico/
02/14/2019 08:13 AMPosted by Chipoodle

I don't recognize the link so not clicking. However my first reaction is... Blizzard had offices in Mexico?! There are no servers in Mexico and LatAm support for CS/TS etc is run from the Irvine and Austin Texas offices. I thought I knew where most of their work sites were. Exception being a datacenter in Brazil but that may not be directly run by Blizz so much as having it hosted by a company there.

Hit up Google. Seems ATVI has an office in Mexico City but not Blizzard. Ok, I am not totally nuts!

HAHAHAHA !!!! where do you live cause that is hilarious in any capitalist society.

no CEO will do that , and compared to other multi billion dollar valued companies Blizzard's CEO makes way less.

A lot of people have pointed out how Satoru Iwata did precisely this when Nintendo struggled during the release time of the 3Ds and the WiiU's underwhelming performance. Increased performance should have the opposite effect. It makes sense for a CEO and even across all executives to take a relatively small pay cut in order to foster an environment that's inviting to new talent to join the company, not a crusade against actual expenses conductive to better products.

Consider the fact these executives are already filthy rich, and will make more in a single year than any of the people whose jobs were sacrificed would in a decade, or even their entire lifetimes.

It's a matter of leadership at that point. Nobody needs the type of salary these executives get. Nobody. Especially when it comes at the expense of positions people actually need to sustain their own families. Iwata exemplifies the difference between a true leader, and a borderline misanthropic boss.

People can keep hiding behind the TiS CaPiTaLiSmUs GuSy!!!!1!! rhetoric, but it still is and will always be morally and ethically questionable. If you actually try to rationalize this BS corporate culture in such an inhuman and apathetic way, you're only enabling the perpetuation of such nonsense, and are no better than the greedy pigs that keep getting away with it while stomping on people's livelihoods for the sake of personal gain.

And yeah, they allegedly will increase their development teams by 20%, but what kind of environment will these layoffs foster for incoming employees? It's clear this company doesn't give a damn about it's employees, let alone the fanbase that rose them to greatness. That investor call pretty much outlined the fact they're drooling over that Chinese profiteering mtx mobile market, and couldn't care less if it comes at the expense of their established western audience. That and laying off a massive amount of people while experiencing significant growth is not a sign of a healthy company, but a deeply corrupted and misguided one.
02/14/2019 08:23 AMPosted by MissCheetah
02/14/2019 08:13 AMPosted by Chipoodle

I don't recognize the link so not clicking. However my first reaction is... Blizzard had offices in Mexico?! There are no servers in Mexico and LatAm support for CS/TS etc is run from the Irvine and Austin Texas offices. I thought I knew where most of their work sites were. Exception being a datacenter in Brazil but that may not be directly run by Blizz so much as having it hosted by a company there.

Hit up Google. Seems ATVI has an office in Mexico City but not Blizzard. Ok, I am not totally nuts!

https://www.activisionblizzard.com/locations

According to Claudia Camp PR and Events Manager of Blizzard for Latin America, Spanish speakers in Mexico and throughout Latin America will not be affected and "our services and dedication to them follow exactly the same way, "replied the representative by email.

https://manchikoni.com/blizzard-closes-his-offices-in-mexico/

It seems there are many players in Mexico.

Actually there are some that have done just this to make sure people keep their jobs, or make more. So while it is rare, it does happen.
I agree in principle, but the real question is why is this how every company works? If there were clear benefits to doing it a different way, those would be the companies dominating.
02/14/2019 08:05 AMPosted by Jinx

Yesterday was the first trading day after the result and ATVI was up 7%. Today it's currently up another 3.4%.

It fell a lot before that of course, but the stock reaction to the actual results announcement and layoffs was positive.

Yes, this was likely to happen.
Shareholders love heads rolling (reconstruction), and long term gain potential which was their tactic in the q4 report. Stocks being cheap at 41.00 before the call people are eating that stock up now.
The amount of bitter virtue signalling commies in this thread is classic :D

Especially whining about rich CEOs shows such incredible ignorance to the business process... comical :D

Following!
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yes, this was likely to happen.
Shareholders love heads rolling (reconstruction), and long term gain potential which was their tactic in the q4 report. Stocks being cheap at 41.00 before the call people are eating that stock up now.

That's the thing. Stock may have taken a nosedive prior to this announcement, but what's to tell it wasn't anticipated in order to artificially boost the value of subsequent stock purchases? It's a completely screwed up system that puts the hard workers on the line. Buy low, sell high. That's the golden rule of the stock market, and one that doesn't make deliberately manipulating that value this way such a far-fetched thought. These executives have demonstrated quite extensively how much they care about their staff. To them they're little more than gambling chips. Is it crazy to to expect them to plan this kind of move just to bloat the value of future purchases? At that point it boils down to ethics, or the lack thereof, in the case of these executives.

I really wouldn't mind to learn what the affected folks think of this type of thing. Hopefully we can hear about it soon.