Disgusting layoffs, Activision

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
https://twitter.com/hashtag/FireBobbyKotick?src=hash
If the senior management’s bad decisions have lead to the situation where people have to be fired, they should take responsibility and fire themselves as well.
When I owned a small business I didn’t cut my employees hours during off-season. I once changed my vacation dates to accommodate to one of the workers needs. And guess what, we had next to 0 employee turnover and one of the consultants stayed with us for 12 years since day 1 we opened doors.
Here's something that seems to have been missed in amongst the number of people losing their jobs:

ATVI said they would be buying back $1.5B in stock and would be increasing its dividend by 9%
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/02/13/in-an-industry-of-imagined-corporate-villainy-activision-blizzards-layoffs-seem-uniquely-cruel/#5bace5da6f1f

Activision Blizzard is more than happy to set aside $1.5 billion in which to buy back stocks.

But they couldn't find a fraction of that $1.5 billion or reduce it down to, say, $1.4 billion so they didn't have to fire 800 employees.

Plenty of dough lying around and record revenue for 2018 but still they feel they need to pander to Wall Street and the investors.
02/16/2019 12:39 AMPosted by Hypersonic
Plenty of dough lying around and record revenue for 2018 but still they feel they need to pander to Wall Street and the investors.
It's called "capitalism" for a reason.
02/15/2019 11:54 PMPosted by Evenstar
If the senior management’s bad decisions have lead to the situation where people have to be fired, they should take responsibility and fire themselves as well.
When I owned a small business I didn’t cut my employees hours during off-season. I once changed my vacation dates to accommodate to one of the workers needs. And guess what, we had next to 0 employee turnover and one of the consultants stayed with us for 12 years since day 1 we opened doors.

You have it wrong. They are not fired becuase the comapny is not doing well. They were fired because the company wants more profit.
02/16/2019 06:37 AMPosted by Kiadaw
You have it wrong. They are not fired becuase the comapny is not doing well. They were fired because the company wants more profit.

You got it wrong. A employee is here to bring profit to a company.
They are fired because they are not profitable enough.
Most of the jobs are community, medias, maintenance, e-sport. But they are not so much needed since the games are all losing players. On top of that Blizzard is aware the community wants less cartoony games, so they need to restructure their teams in order to hire new people. The company is still hiring in various departments but nobody says it.

For instance, 1 person can handle multiple games forums. No need to hire 1 for each section of a game. Blizzard grew up so quickly in the last 15 years that it is impossible to check every person's profitability.
This is a result of them going into "development mode" for the next year or so. They also announced with their earnings call that there weren't going to be many major released in 2019 due to the number of development projects. As unfortunate as it is, the level of growth they were experiencing over the last few years was unsustainable. This is the company getting back to reality and hopefully working and creating some legitimate, fresh content to get them back on track in a few years.

It sucks for many of the people working on the service/community side of the company, but for fans of their games I think this might actually be good news. A side note too. If they don't have major releases this year then I, personally, would expect some decent sized announcements this year.
All you people saying, this is capitalism. BS!

When Mike M. ran the show at Blizzard he sacrificed much to keep his employees working and happy.

It is disgusting what Activision has done to the once Legendary company that Mike and the original Blizzard crew built.

Blizzard is dead, quit hoping for them to do what they once did. The product they produce are mediocre at best, and will continue to be run into the ground until all that is left is a memory.
02/16/2019 06:02 PMPosted by Opiate
When Mike M. ran the show at Blizzard he sacrificed much to keep his employees working and happy.

Ehhhh he laid off 600 of them in 2012, mostly from customer support. Some were hired back years later, but many many never were.

Here is an interesting article (one of many) about it. It also talks a bit about Diablo 3 development. Reading it now...actually gives some perspective. It was published before Diablo 3 was released and before Titan was cancelled.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/46575333
02/12/2019 03:50 PMPosted by lazy
A real leader would take responsibility and would have halved his salary first before destroying hundreads of familys. They don’t cut down their loyal workers to make investors happy. This is so disgusting.

Word. +1

But unfortunately these people don't care about blizzard, or any fans of blizzard, or the quality of games or even the employees. They just care about their pay check... This is why these "leaders" haven't done it.
People are acting like Activision is the culprit here. They are just doing what EVERY other private company does. They aren't unique in that matter. Yes, it is a problem that people that have a certain title earn 500x+ what a minimum wage worker does, but it isn't a problem with Activision. It is a general problem.

EDIT: A problem of the times we live in. Money rules the world.
02/12/2019 03:50 PMPosted by lazy
800 people lost their job today and the real problem is still here.

The CEOs salary is $1,750,000 and on top of that $2,808,688 was received as a bonus + multiple millions of stock bonus.

A real leader would take responsibility and would have halved his salary first before destroying hundreads of familys. They don’t cut down their loyal workers to make investors happy. This is so disgusting.

I will refuse to spend a single cent on your games. I am so done with that company. I wont feed the shareholders and that greedy managment.

do you still live in the 50s? because this is how plc companies operate since some decades...you don't produce the required value for your shareholders, you are out of the door. Unfortunately as a person of the upper management in my place of work i also have to make those tough decisions and lay off staff. But you know those things the moment you sign up to work for such companies, so that should be expected.
#firebobbykotick

Sorry but Bobby Kotick has avoided accountability by shifting the bad consequences of HIS decisions on to others in the company. There nothing good about a guy getting out of accountability and making other pay for his decisions .
02/18/2019 07:17 PMPosted by SirSmokes
Sorry but Bobby Kotick has avoided accountability by shifting the bad consequences of HIS decisions on to others in the company. There nothing good about a guy getting out of accountability and making other pay for his decisions .
Even if they somehow fire Kotick or he resigns, who replaces him?

The most likely candidates are Dennis Durkin, the same guy who was rehired as Chief Financial Officer and got that $15 million sign-on deal, and Coddy Johnson, the Chief Operating Officer who said the fan reaction to the Diablo Immortal announcement was "muted".

Are they any better than Kotick? What would actually change at the company if any one of those two are in charge, if at all?

Not defending Kotick here, just saying as it is.
02/18/2019 07:54 PMPosted by Hypersonic
02/18/2019 07:17 PMPosted by SirSmokes
Sorry but Bobby Kotick has avoided accountability by shifting the bad consequences of HIS decisions on to others in the company. There nothing good about a guy getting out of accountability and making other pay for this decisions .
Even if they somehow fire Kotick or he resigns, who replaces him?

The most likely candidates are Dennis Durkin, the same guy who was rehired as Chief Financial Officer and got that $15 million sign-on deal, and Coddy Johnson, the Chief Operating Officer who said the Diablo Immortal announcement was "muted".

Are they any better than Kotick? What would actually change at the company if any one of those two are in charge, if at all?

Not defending Kotick here, just saying as it is.

If we were playing Monopoly https://monopoly.fandom.com/wiki/Chance. I say we take a chance card draw one from the deck.
What I find strange here is the amount of justification going around for the move at the executive level to fire all these employees, rather than touch anyone at the top. For sure, in the current state of business, at least in the West, it is common for companies to initiate mass layoffs to cut costs in the short term, all while the ones who made the actual decisions give themselves six-figure bonuses regardless of outcome, so in this respect it isn't surprising to see Activision do this.

However, even if we were all to pretend that we're die-hard capitalists who only care about money and running a business, the fact remains that this kind of move is bad for business. Activision isn't doing well, despite its record sales, and firing the people who were there to produce and support new products is not going to enable the company to produce more revenue in the future. Moreover, with the same people making poor decisions, Activision is going to continue to blunder and flop, as happened with the announcement of Diablo: Immortal, and as happened with them losing the Destiny IP, to everyone else's relief. If Activision as a company really were trying to properly restructure and increase its viability, it wouldn't be firing massive amounts of its workforce and leaving the rest constantly fearing for their jobs (which isn't good for productivity either), it wouldn't be giving a 11+ million dollar sweetener to an unproven CFO that just so happens to be chums with other members of the executive board, and it wouldn't be keeping the rest of its board either when they're directly responsible for the company's current dire state.

At the end of the day, for all the dressing up and beating around the bush, the basic reality of the situation is that Activision, like too many companies, has a power structure where the people who have all the money also have all the power, including the power to give themselves money based on the work of other people, and the power to fire said people on a whim regardless of merit. There is no strong accountability structure in place to evaluate those at the top, let alone threaten their jobs, nor is there any counter-force to protect the interests of workers whose jobs may be at stake, regardless of how valuable they themselves are to their company. This is why utterly incompetent people in leadership can lose a company millions, if not billions, and suffer strictly no consequences for it, while those at the bottom of the food chain take the fall. We should not be taking this for granted, much less defend the visibly poor decisions of executives who really don't need our support, particularly when this defense comes at the direct expense of the hard-working developers who brought us the games we loved in the first place. #FireBobbyKotick .
02/18/2019 10:47 PMPosted by Teridax
What I find strange here is the amount of justification going around for the move at the executive level to fire all these employees, rather than touch anyone at the top. For sure, in the current state of business, at least in the West, it is common for companies to initiate mass layoffs to cut costs in the short term, all while the ones who made the actual decisions give themselves six-figure bonuses regardless of outcome, so in this respect it isn't surprising to see Activision do this.

However, even if we were all to pretend that we're die-hard capitalists who only care about money and running a business, the fact remains that this kind of move is bad for business. Activision isn't doing well, despite its record sales, and firing the people who were there to produce and support new products is not going to enable the company to produce more revenue in the future. Moreover, with the same people making poor decisions, Activision is going to continue to blunder and flop, as happened with the announcement of Diablo: Immortal, and as happened with them losing the Destiny IP, to everyone else's relief. If Activision as a company really were trying to properly restructure and increase its viability, it wouldn't be firing massive amounts of its workforce and leaving the rest constantly fearing for their jobs (which isn't good for productivity either), it wouldn't be giving a 11+ million dollar sweetener to an unproven CFO that just so happens to be chums with other members of the executive board, and it wouldn't be keeping the rest of its board either when they're directly responsible for the company's current dire state.

At the end of the day, for all the dressing up and beating around the bush, the basic reality of the situation is that Activision, like too many companies, has a power structure where the people who have all the money also have all the power, including the power to give themselves money based on the work of other people, and the power to fire said people on a whim regardless of merit. There is no strong accountability structure in place to evaluate those at the top, let alone threaten their jobs, nor is there any counter-force to protect the interests of workers whose jobs may be at stake, regardless of how valuable they themselves are to their company. This is why utterly incompetent people in leadership can lose a company millions, if not billions of jobs, and suffer strictly no consequences for it, while those at the bottom of the food chain take the fall. We should not be taking this for granted, much less defend the visibly poor decisions of executives who really don't need our support, particularly when this defense comes at the direct expense of the hard-working developers who brought us the games we loved in the first place. #FireBobbyKotick .

Accountability is to a CEO like Bobby Kotick is like crucifix is to a vampire.
02/18/2019 03:23 AMPosted by RAppel
People are acting like Activision is the culprit here. They are just doing what EVERY other private company does. They aren't unique in that matter. Yes, it is a problem that people that have a certain title earn 500x+ what a minimum wage worker does, but it isn't a problem with Activision. It is a general problem.

Seems like many people commenting in this thread don't work in the corporate world. Seems like there are a staggering number of redundant workers in Blizzard enough for them to lay off 800, don't tell me they don't exist.
02/19/2019 04:08 AMPosted by fathom
02/18/2019 03:23 AMPosted by RAppel

Seems like many people commenting in this thread don't work in the corporate world. Seems like there are a staggering number of redundant workers in Blizzard enough for them to lay off 800, don't tell me they don't exist.

Not whats going on here. Whats going on here is Bobby Kotick keeping the company out of the red by cutting jobs. Why is Bobby Kotick cutting jobs because of his decision that cost the company money. Its the CEO passing the buck off to other in the company and shifting the negative consequences to others. #firebobbykotick
the cancer that is capitalism