Disgusting layoffs, Activision

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
02/19/2019 03:19 PMPosted by SuperduperJW
the cancer that is capitalism
Not the problem lack of accountability is the problem.
02/14/2019 03:15 AMPosted by PonyKiller
I know this will be a hard post to like and may receive a lot of hate because I am not popular around these parts.

Do I agree with 776 people losing their jobs? Not really, this seems sad on the surface.

That being said, that is only 8% of their total staff. That means ~9600 people still have jobs. These were menial low end staff with no real direction. They did not represent Activision's vision, and they are restructuring how the company works. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they dropped the Blizzard name.

The people losing their jobs in question were the ones making poor decisions losing them paying customers of World of Warcraft, people in charge of key decisions of Diablo 3 and other franchises where they regularly refused to listen to player outcries. There was a steep decline in WoW subs. People simply did not want to put up with WoW-lite and moved onto other franchises. The messed up part was Activision gave Blizzard the green light to govern themselves most of the time.

The "creative efforts" team behind all the drama were the ones pulling flight from WoW new zones, inflicting poor game mechanics that leveled mobs with you, and catering to this very caustic group of players who drove everyone else away. Not the hardcore fans of the franchises we loved, no the plebs, they catered to the plebians who demanded things be easier, basically turning their games into glorified graphics benchmarks that looked gorgeous but lacked any kind of real game play that made the franchises great to begin with.

Activision rightly fired these people, and I say good riddance to cutting ties. Sad people lost income and I feel for them on a personal level, but the gamer inside of me hopes for a brighter tomorrow with a more wow-like wow. Maybe they can hire new talent that has played the originals, that could bring in some insight into how these games were meant to be experienced, instead of giving everyone welfare raids (aka LFR) and welfare gear from what amounts to a cheap mobile game.

I like you, your post makes sense (unlike 99% of the entitled millenials here)
I just know the upper management kitchen too well. They screw up and realize something has to be done to compensate. They put the weight of it on the bottom line while blaming economy/competition/restructuring/whatever in the farewell email. Then they look in the mirror and name themselves “effective crisis managers”.

Don’t be fooled by optimistic statements about increasing developers population. Nobody lays off staff when everything is great.
They made strategic mistakes. Their cash cow brands entered decline PLC stage and there’s nothing in stock to replace them.
They may have made big sales but it’s still a sinking ship at this point. Forecasts are probably not as bright.
02/20/2019 12:49 AMPosted by Evenstar
I just know the upper management kitchen too well. They screw up and realize something has to be done to compensate. They put the weight of it on the bottom line while blaming economy/competition/restructuring/whatever in the farewell email. Then they look in the mirror and name themselves “effective crisis managers”.

Don’t be fooled by optimistic statements about increasing developers population. Nobody lays off staff when everything is great.
They made strategic mistakes. Their cash cow brands entered decline PLC stage and there’s nothing in stock to replace them.
They may have made big sales but it’s still a sinking ship at this point. Forecasts are probably not as bright.
Upper management likes to pass the cost of poor management to its employees.

On the Diablo forum brought to you via capitalism.
Using a phone, PC or tablet connected by an internet provider that all came about via capitalism.
Diablo games produced to be purchased via capitlism.
Spending many hours playing a game rather than working at the commune farm....capitalism.
Without capitalism, who would make your games?

The drive to creating new things comes from the drive to wealth. If you think about non-capitalist nations, how many of those have companies that you buy merchandise from?

You could arguably say China, but there are two problems with that. First, the companies are based in the USA and largely only have China manufacture the goods and second, China is definitely a capitalist country with a communist government.

The problem with capitalism is that it favors those with talents. If you're not a leader with a team of talented content generators, you're a content generator who is paid far better than average. Everybody else makes due with less, but as a human race, the bare minimum of us have access to far more than we have ever had in human history.

We legitimately have no reason to complain about how things are today in the USA. Nobody starves. Everybody with a life-threatening wound can walk into a hospital and survive. We have the right to say whatever we damn well please. The lowest of us can get funding for higher education, up to and including doctorate degrees. This country is almost a utopia. If you haven't taken advantage of it, that's a motivation issue, not something inherently wrong with the system. Sure, it can be improved, but it could be (and has been) significantly worse.