Shadow Impale Build

Demon Hunter
Is the shadow impale build the only way to do 100+GR solo? I have tried to play it but can not keep up my vengeance.

I have a lot of good peices for the build that I would like to utilize. Everything is ancient and I have a primal for the build as well.

What are some ways I can improve this build and be able to run it successfully.

I have been following the guide off of icy viens as well for stats and runes.
01/30/2019 02:37 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
I have a lot of good peices for the build that I would like to utilize. Everything is ancient and I have a primal for the build as well.
Ancient and primal has nothing to do with the right stats unfortunately, i can't see your shadow's mantle gear pieces but your unhallowed essence set is suffering from "ancient is better" syndrome. A lot of your items are no where near optimal and a non ancient with the correct stats would be way better, I'm guessing this is most likely the case with your shadows set as well. Not trying to be an a$$, just an observation. It's better to have non-ancient items with the correct stats then it is to have ancients with the wrong stats.

In regards to Vengeance uptime; you should have:
- Dawn cubed for 65% CDR to Vengeance
- gogok of swiftness @lvl 25+ for another 15% CDR
- 8% cdr on shoulders
- a diamond in the helm for 12.5% CDR

this will put vengeance at ~1 second downtime. If you want it to be up 100% of the time, you'll need to add in another 5-8 CDR on either a ring or ideally your gloves, but a lot of people just roll with 1 second downtime, its not that detrimental. And again, the shoulders, glove or ring doesn't have to be ancient, just needs to have CDR on it as well as the other CHC:CHD stats.
01/30/2019 02:42 PMPosted by TastySouP
01/30/2019 02:37 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
Ancient and primal has nothing to do with the right stats unfortunately, i can't see your shadow's mantle gear pieces but your unhallowed essence set is suffering from "ancient is better" syndrome. A lot of your items are no where near optimal and a non ancient with the correct stats would be way better, I'm guessing this is most likely the case with your shadows set as well. Not trying to be an a$$, just an observation. It's better to have non-ancient items with the correct stats then it is to have ancients with the wrong stats.

- 8% cdr on shoulders

this will put vengeance at ~1 second downtime. If you want it to be up 100% of the time, you'll need to add in another 5-8 CDR on either a ring or ideally your gloves, but a lot of people just roll with 1 second downtime, its not that detrimental. And again, the shoulders, glove or ring doesn't have to be ancient, just needs to have CDR on it as well as the other CHC:CHD stats.

Yeah I understand about the gear. I haven’t been playing the game for a long time so really don’t know what stats I’m suppose to get on each item. There is no set guide to “Hey you need this and this on this peice of gear”.
Google "diablofans impale" or something og go to youtube and type "diablo impale"....or shadow mantle or whatever.
01/30/2019 03:36 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
I haven’t been playing the game for a long time so really don’t know what stats I’m suppose to get on each item. There is no set guide to “Hey you need this and this on this peice of gear”.
Fair enough, there seems to be a lot of requests for this thing. I'll add it to my guide here in a bit:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770917070

but for now:

Helm:
Shadows Mantle

Dext
Crit Chance
Impale Damage
Socket w/Diamond
-------------------------
Physical Resist

The most important stats on this are the crit chance and impale damage, and you'll always put a diamond in the socket for this set. Things like Physical Resist on the secondary can be really useful, but shouldn't be higher priority than the primary stats listed. When at a low paragon level it may be wise to forgo Impale damage or Crit Chance in favour of Vitality.

Shoulders:
Shadow Mantle

Dext
Cooldown Reduction
Area Damage
Vitality or All Resists
Physical Resist (only if you don't get All Resists on it)

The most important stat here in my opinion is obtain 8% Cooldown Reduction. After that you'll want to decide if you want area damage, I personally highly recommend it. Finally you'll want either All Resist or Vitality, both equally useful. One thing to consider, having a smaller health pool but higher resists means you take less damage per hit, and inversely means you get more use out of your Life on Hit

Gloves:
Shadows Mantle
Frostburns (season only, if playing cold damage)

Dext
Crit Chance
Crit Hit Damage
Vitality or Area Damage or Attack Speed or Cooldown Reduction
Physical Resists

You'll always want to have, Dext, Crit Chance and Critical Hit Damage on this item. The next stat is entirely up to you and often debated, some people like vitality for the extra toughness, another common stat is to add in Attack Speed. Others prefer Area Damage to combine with the shoulder for 90% Area Damage after paragon. Finally you can also slot Cooldown Reduction here to obtain 100% uptime with Vengeance.

Chest:
Shadows Mantle
Aquila Cuirass (season only)

Dext
Vitality
All Resists or Elite Damage Reduction
3 Sockets w/Diamonds
Life per Kill
Range or Melee Damage Reduction

You'll always want to have dext, vitality and Life per Kill on this item. Another extremely useful stat you'll most likely want to get is either Range or Melee Damage reduction, depending on which opposite one you get on your bracer. Next you'll want to decide if you want All Resistance or Elite Damage Reduction, one thing to consider with this choice is that you can only obtain Elite Damage Reduction on the chest piece or from using Bane of the Powerful. It's not a priority stat but can be useful.

Bracers:
Strong Arms
Lacuni Prowlers
Nemesis

Elemental Damage
Dext
Vitality
Crit Chance

First you need to decide which bracers you want to use. A common choice is Strong Arms bracers, it pairs extremely well with Vault - Rattling Roll. One thing to consider though is that it doesn't help versus the Rift Guardian, because you can't knockback RGs. Another good item choice in this slot is Lacuni Prowlers for extra attack speed which will help with DPS and life regen through more life on hit. The last item is Nemesis bracers, this item can be extremely dangerous, see section 5.0.

The two most important stats on the bracers is the Crit Chance and Elemental Damage. You'll want to get as much crit chance as possible but make sure that the you have the correct corresponding element on it as your impale rune; ie. Lightening Damage for Ricochet or Cold Damage for Overpenetration. Having dext and vitality on it isn't hard to pull off, finally you'll want to try and find a pair with Range or Melee Damage Reduction on it, either or will help but ideally the opposite of your chest piece.

Belt:
Chain of Shadows
Witching Hour (season only)

Dext
Vitality
All Resists
+% Life
Life per Kill

This item isn't to hard to obtain, strive to achieve at least dext, vitality, all resists and life per kill, the extra +% Life is just gravy. If playing seasons, you can opt to throw Chain of Shadows in the cube and equip Witching Hour, if going this route your best stats are Dext, and Vitality but your priority should be as much Crit Hit Damage as possible.

Pants:
Shadows Mantle
Swamp Land Waders (season only, any element you want)

Dext
Vitality
All Resists
2 Sockets w/Diamonds
Life per Kill

Once again, not a very hard item to obtain, I'd prioritize All Resists over Life per Kill, but getting both isnt very difficult. In regards to Swamp Land Waders for season only, if you have a Witch Doctor you can obtain a pair of pants with whatever element on them and then Reroll the Intelligence to Dexterity. This can be very useful for obtaining extra Lightening Damage, but will be hard to roll very well.

Boots:
Shadows Mantle

Dext
Vitality
All Resists
Impale Damage
Physical Resists (if you cant get All Resists)

you'll want you boots to have a nice mix of toughness but you absolutely must obtain Impale Damage on this slot. It has no other ways to majorly contribute to your dps, othat than impale damage, so it should be the priority.

Amulet:
Travellers Pledge

Elemental Damage
Crit Chance
Crit Hit Damage
Socket w/Legendary Gem
Life per Kill

The most important stats on this item are without a doubt the primaries, the secondaries are just a nice little touch if you get them, considering how hard this item is to roll perfectly. Ideally you'll want Elemental Damage but Dext is sufficient until you can obtain it.

Ring 1:
The Compass Rose

Average Damage
Dext
Crit Chance
Crit Hit Damage
Socket w/ Legendary Gem
Life per Kill
Physical Resists

Easily one of the hard items to obtain proper stats with. Use one with as close to those stats as possible. When gearing at the highest level, you should strive to achieve Average Damage as the extra damage stat, it without a doubt provides the most boost out of all the obtains and really helps out the daggers damage.

Ring 2:
Convention of Elements
Elusive Ring

Average Damage
Crit Chance
Crit Hit Damage
Socket w/ Legendary Gem
Life per Kill
Physical Resists

It doesn't matter which of these two rings you phsyically equip because you will cube the other one, the most important thing here is whether they have the correct crit mods and then after that which of the two different rings has a better legendary affix. Ideally you will want you Convention of Elements to have more than 190% dmg on it, and your Elusive Ring should hopefully have 58%+ dmg reduction on it. You'll probably bounce between the two rings being equipped and in the cube as you get upgrades.

Main Hand:
Karlei's Point

Extra Damage
+% Increased Weapon Damage
Dext
Socket w/Emerald
Increased Attack Speed or Vitality or Area Damage
Life per Kill

This item is extremely easy to obtain by upgrading rare daggers in the cube. When done on a Demon Hunter it can only produce 2 different daggers, Karlei's Point and Lord Greenstones Fan. So its not very difficult to obtain a good weapon, and this should be a priority. The most important stat on Karlei's point will be the legendary affix, which should be above 350+%, and hopefully ancient. In regards to the final affix, its a toss up and depends on what you need, and I'm not certain which is technically "the best", just make sure you have good extra damage and a high legendary affix.

Offhand:
Holy Point Shot

Elemental Damage
Dext
Crit Chance
Impale Damage
Discipline

This is probably the second hardest item to obtain and will also highly influence which elemental rune you select, depending on the element it rolls with. Ideally, the best would be either cold or lightening, but any of them will do. Also discipline is not necessary, but can be nice if you get it, I would never roll for it unless you already have all the primary stats and they're perfect. Impale Damage is also extremely hard to get on it, but can help a lot, it should be an end game goal.
I really appreciate that.
01/30/2019 05:27 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
I really appreciate that.
Not a problem and this can translate to pretty much any set, you'll learn over time :)
01/30/2019 03:36 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
Yeah I understand about the gear. I haven’t been playing the game for a long time so really don’t know what stats I’m suppose to get on each item. There is no set guide to “Hey you need this and this on this peice of gear”.

But you stated you got the build from icy veins. They tell you what stat priorities you want to look for with each piece of gear.
01/30/2019 02:42 PMPosted by TastySouP
- 8% cdr on shoulders

this will put vengeance at ~1 second downtime.

Actually this is enough for 100% Vengeance uptime, as long as Vengeance is cast when Gogok is at 15 stacks.
01/30/2019 07:59 PMPosted by HunterKiller
Actually this is enough for 100% Vengeance uptime, as long as Vengeance is cast when Gogok is at 15 stacks.
good catch, I also forgot paragon
Would like to say Thank you again. I ended up rolling my build the way you suggested. Unfortunately I got physical damage on my quiver which was a primal with great stats all around so I tried to roll everything that need physical damage that needed it. My weapon still has cold damage can’t seem to roll a good ancient one.

I was able to clear a 102GR and my goal was only a 100. I feel like I can go higher once I get a better weapon and maybe augment some items.

Once again thanks.
There are plenty of DH builds that can do GR 100+ solo, impale just the easiest to gear for and learn I would say. Can't really think of any that can't to be honest. Some just harder than others and take better gear, augs, paras. But pretty sure most can do GR 100+ solo these days.
02/04/2019 02:47 PMPosted by Dirtybirdy
Unfortunately I got physical damage on my quiver which was a primal with great stats all around so I tried to roll everything that need physical damage that needed it.

What do you mean by that?

My weapon still has cold damage

Which doesn't matter at all.
My weapon still has cold damage can’t seem to roll a good ancient one.

PLEASE don't think this matters one iota - it doesn't. The only thing that matters is the skill rune you choose to synergize with your gear.

If you have a gg primal physical HPS (helps if you equip on a char and link it so we can see it along with your other S6 gear) and needed to roll off something lame (like chakram damage) for CHC or Impale damage, then you can try to roll other gear (neck/bracers) to physical. If by some stroke of epic RNG luck you can roll the physical to another element on the HPS - then you are golden. Again, tough to comment accurately without seeing it (even a link to imgur would help).

Elemental damage shown on a weapon (poison/fire/etc) means absolutely nothing in the current state of the game.