Will you go to/watch Blizzcon 2019?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
Never watched a BlizzConn and never will. It's all just hype.
I really enjoyed Blizzcon overall in 2014, and especially in 2016 (stayed with several Diablo 3 Community folks and got to really hang out with tons of neat people).

I went in 2018 as well. Several things were cool!

-I got to meet some of my online friends I had not met in person.
-Meeting more new Blizzard folks across multiple games and departments
-I got to spend a lot of time at Blizzard directly with the WoW team and some of the CS folks.
-I got to meet all the WoW Community MVPs
-I got to give Nev and Kauza (not on D3 anymore) a hug! They were working though so no time to chat.

Actual Blizzcon:

-HUGE crowds of over 40K people
-VERY VERY strict security which trapped those 40K people behind security walls and made the convention center REALLY densely crowded. I don't handle crowds or noise well. In past years the crowd could spread out across the inside and outside so the crowds were less dense. Having to go through the metal detectors and bag checks again meant fewer people left for lunch/other activities and stayed all day.
-Crowds were so tough you could not get into the panels you wanted to see. I wanted to get to the Diablo Panel after opening ceremonies (which let out late) but it took over 25 mins to go 300 feet.
-I made it to the Panel before the Q&A started though...only to be told "not coming to PC" at which point I kind of lost it. I was upset and knew what the Community was going to do/feel.
-Rest of Blizzcon was a haze.
-One of my friends made me go out and get some fresh air...and food. But the food trucks were SO crowded because of the security barriers it was nuts. Normally people eat at nearby places too. That said, my gyro was fantastic! I had so wanted to try the Viking truck though...lines were too long.
-I left around 5pm on Friday and consoled myself with wine at the hotel. Friends forced me to eat eventually by getting pizza and putting it in front of me.
-Saturday I stayed in bed. My toe was broken and hurt like hell after the first day. I could not face the crowds again. I watched on the virtual ticket and hung out here on the forums. Eventually went down to dinner when the other friends came back and we compared notes about how Blizzcon went.
-Another bad thing - with the crowds so heavy it was REALLY hard to find the people I wanted to say hi to. I only go to to see my D3 friends for a short time :( Although, I DID manage to find Rhykker for a bit.

Ask me in October if I am going again. I don't know. I usually don't go every year. It is very expensive and with the crowds now, I don't know how feasible it is.

As for the Virtual Ticket, their pricing needs work. They have added a TON more content to it that starts over a month before Blizzcon. I really enjoy the panels that go into the engineering, coding, networking, etc. The "how to make things" stuff. It just seems that it is really expensive for what you get and that is going to discourage people from getting it.
Would you go or watch via the VT if they said before hand, that a major D4 PC announcement was going to be made (beta would start on 1/1/2020), if they also said they had 4 additional D4 (1 hour) panels that would cover the D4 features, and they also stated that a D4 PC beta was ready to play on the show floor? I still would never go, I might get the VT, but most likely I would just watch it all on YouTube. Assuming this was to happen before I die in the next 20 years.
Would you go or watch via the VT if they said before hand, that a major D4 PC announcement was going to be made, if they also said that 4 additional D4 (1 hour) panels would cover the D4 features, and they also said that a D4 PC beta was ready to play? I still would never go, I might get the VT, but most likely I would just watch it all on YouTube. Assuming this was to happen in the next 1-2 years.

That is a really hard question. I say that because the in-person hype for big reveals is a lot of fun. One of my favorite memories was the Overwatch Reveal. I was there and had a good seat at the main stage. They kept the whole thing secret so we had no idea what they were going to show up. It was really emotional - the cinematics were so well done. The whole thing was received very well. Staff were beaming from ear to ear and so happy to finally show what they were working on. That was amazing to be part of.

On the other hand - with the current crowds I would not be able to get into the main stage without a special press pass. They have tightened up who gets those a LOT so chances of me being able to apply for, and get one, are slim. So, even if I was there, the crowds would prevent me from getting near the things I want to see.

Prob would get Virtual ticket though if the panels were good enough.

That said, they are not going to promise us anything ahead of Blizzcon so this is really just a hypothetical discussion based on something that won't happen.
I will definitely watch it. Twitch chat will be massive laughing content.
I know that it is hypothetical, and I will never jump on the hype train again. They lost me as a fanboy, now I am just sitting on the fence. I will watch to see how they try to pull one over on the shareholder tomorrow, more bad news to come. Stocks are down another 6.6% today.
02/11/2019 09:55 AMPosted by Kaelos
I will definitely watch it. Twitch chat will be massive laughing content.

Me too. It's free there and real time
If it's free as an apology, sure.. why not?
The opening ceremony was more than sufficient and I was actually watching it on my phone....
02/11/2019 10:13 AMPosted by MadCow
The opening ceremony was more than sufficient and I was actually watching it on my phone....

Wyatt is that you?
I will watch the opening ceremony. Then decide if I want to buy the VT.

I've been to several Blizzcon in person and I'm burned out on those. That's not even considering the fact that they are making multiplayer only games that I don't want to play anymore.
02/11/2019 10:15 AMPosted by Avalon
02/11/2019 10:13 AMPosted by MadCow

Wyatt is that you?

I watched it on my phone. My home internet connection at the time was garbage.
Once the opening ceremony was done I went WTF, then uninstalled the Blizzcon app.
I wouldnt bet on there being a Blizcon this year.
If I lived in California I’d go there for the party!

... though i understand from moderator MissCheeta it might not be all joy :/

Virtual ticket: the Diablo anniversary wasnt that bad two years ago, it was a good summary of the franchise though it just lasted 45 mins. For me that played diablo 1 and 2 it was allright.

We all know last year was a disaster. I wont take my chanches on an expensive VT unless I know they will show a PC or consolegame up front, or it could end up being the annonce of Adrias book! ;)

-
Haven't gone to date and see no reason to start now.

02/10/2019 01:07 PMPosted by Jinx
Developers don't sit around doing nothing,

They sit around trying to find ways to add predatory microtransactions to reskinned Chinese mobile trash.
02/11/2019 10:26 AMPosted by Alexismad
They sit around trying to find ways to add predatory microtransactions to reskinned Chinese mobile trash.

I would like someone to go point by point explaining why they think Diablo : Immortal is a re-skin of another Netease game. I tried their games to find out why and not a single one was anything like the demo of Diablo : immortal.

You seem to believe that with all your heart, so please do.
I will never get a virtual ticket, especially not after the fiasco that was last Blizzcon. I will, however, check Diablofans for anything relevant.
02/10/2019 07:01 AMPosted by KushiSensei
Seeing all the hate garnered in the past 3 months towards Blizzard - Will you watch or go to Blizzcon this year?

And please, spare me with your "phone" comments. it's getting old and it's not funny anymore.

I doubt I will buy a VT unless my wife really wants the mount for her WoW account. The only reason I bought the ticket to begin with was for the big announcements on WoW and Diablo -the items were just a perk. I would purchase it for Star Craft news, but I don't recall anything of note going on in that game for quite some time.

Considering the road Diablo is currently going down, I see no reason to buy the VT for the one game I play from them. I can wait a bit and get the news from other sources.
If the loot is good, I'll pay. I want more murlocs for my warcraft acc. If there will be mounts and murlocs, I'll be even happier.
Only if the rewards for getting it are good, otherwise no.