S16 Elites Are Out of Control!

General Discussion
So I just dinged the 70 on a fresh level 70 Season 16 hard-core character, and what I found prompted me to make this post.

What I'm about to write is actually a copy and paste that I originally wrote in May of 2014 (edited for the current situation), but kind of like Poltergeist, they're back.

Elites at Torment difficulties are totally out of control.

There's something wrong when at Master (still on Chapter III), I can run from a single Elite pack and have a continuous unbroken line of Desecrator pools following me (even while still in the ethereal state after death in softcore, edit). And if I choose to fight them, I spend most of my time evading Frozen and Thunderstorm, and Jailer, and Plagued, and Frozen Pulses, while waiting to regain control of my character after Nightmarish sends me running, and Vortex simply teleports me straight back into the former two. Thank goodness for Wormhole, which often teleports me out of trouble!

It might be interesting if these things happened occasionally, but the problem is every single member of the Elite pack can cast all of these affixes independently of all other members.

And they do.

I literally spend most of my time evading ground effects, breaking out of Jails (before I run out of resources), or repositioning around Waller walls to be able to go on the offensive for at most 2 seconds, before I am assaulted again by some unavoidable Elite affix, and I have to again reposition, breakout, or just run.

Elite packs need to play by the same rules we do when it comes to using abilities; limited resources, long cool downs, and they need rules of interaction.

Also, because of the fact that the number of members of an Elite pack can be so variable, there has to be a limit on which members can use their abilities at what times, and how many of them can use them at the same time.

Elite packs also have to be aware of each other, so that when two or three different packs hit you at the same time, they don't just overwhelm you.

The way it is now, we have an Elite monster that has unlimited resources, (seemingly) no cool downs, and which can spam its abilities continuously. And this Elite monster is accompanied by 2 to 6 clones that can all do the same things at the same time. And they keep doing it regardless of how many other Elite packs are near them and doing the same thing.

Makes for a slightly one-sided battle, and the only way to counter some of these affixes is to simply gear for and then ignore them. Otherwise, you'll spend most of your playtime evading them, or dead.

When you get into a (Greater) Rift, especially in the Act 5 Blood Marsh and Paths of the Drowned, and two or three different Elite packs of Anarchs and Exarchs come at you at the same time, it's nearly impossible to get in a shot. You spend so much time Stunned, or running or repositioning from Frozen, Desecrator, Plagued, Thunderstorm, Frozen Pulse, Waller, Nightmarish, Wormhole, Vortex, Jailer, and half a dozen other affixes that might be palatable if they happened occasionally, it just makes the game a frustrating experience.

This also very often prevents players from playing the character they want to play, and forces them to play a character much tankier than they might otherwise (cough...gear check), just so they can survive the continuous spamming of all these affixes, especially the unavoidable ones.

When I originally wrote this, you could die on the first hit of Jailer. Since 2014, the devs have drastically reduced the amount of damage that jailer does, and they also reduced the ridiculous amount of damage that Frozen used to do during the build up. But still, Elites can Jail you once in a second for every member of the Elite pack. I've been jailed twice in one second; six times in four seconds!

That should never be able to happen.

It used to be that Jailer did no damage. It simply stopped you from moving, as it's name implies.

Frozen never used to do damage while the explosion built. The white, growing circle was introduced in late 2013 as a perception aid to players, to help them judge the radius of the Frozen explosion, and avoid it.

These current devs have no idea why some of the abilities and mechanics in this game were built, or how they were intended to work.

Like Frozen. I can just see those idiots sitting around a table going,"Well, what does that circle do? If it doesn't do damage, and it doesn't slow the player, what is it even there for? Let's make it do some damage!"

Good Grief...
I feel like you're just mad that you did something stupid in HC and died as a result and you have to blame the game mechanics
Most builds use their buff which prevents CC, and you should have 100% up time if you're doing higher content. Lower content right now (sub 100 GRs) you should still be at 90% + and then if you get CC'd, jailer for instance, once it's off CD that CC breaks.
Wrath of the Berserker (Barb), Akarat's Champion (Crusader), Vengeance (DH), Epiphany (Monk), Spirit Walk (WD, not a class buff like the others but breaks/prevents CC), and Wiz doesn't directly have one, but only the fear sucks as teleport avoids/moves out of everything else.

Sounds like you might just need more practice with the build you're using, or adjust your build/rift level to accommodate.
Geez, posts like the Op's always make me think:

"What if the bestiary had their own forums?"

I can only imagine what'd they complain about regarding us players...
01/29/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Alteration
Wiz doesn't directly have one, but only the fear sucks as teleport avoids/moves out of everything else.

Wizard's archon prevents cc effects, however it isn't a favorable transformation skill among the Diablo community.
01/29/2019 10:45 AMPosted by Oblivion
Wiz doesn't directly have one, but only the fear sucks as teleport avoids/moves out of everything else.

Wizard's archon prevents cc effects, however it isn't a favorable transformation skill among the Diablo community.

Archon isn't really used for the seasonal meta right now and the OP wouldn't have a LoN build yet as they just recently started the season. All the other spells mentioned are used in easy to get builds from about paragon 100 when you have all the base gear.

I left Necro out on accident, but they don't really have issues with CC since you can bloodrush out or just sit behind your pets.
01/29/2019 10:35 AMPosted by Scorp
I feel like you're just mad that you did something stupid in HC and died as a result and you have to blame the game mechanics
No, didn't die, but I got to Chapter III, Rakanoth, and the damn Elites wouldn't leave me alone for a split second...

Usually when I die in hard-core it's because, 1) I did some thing stupid, 2) Disconnect, 3) Started watching YouTube without pausing the game.
Sounds like you might just need more practice with the build you're using, or adjust your build/rift level to accommodate.
I'm talking about the behavior of the elites, not anything about any particular character or tactic that I am using.

I just did a GR105 (for the new Era) in non-Season soft-core with N6M4, and S16 hard-core GR95 with N6M4 and GR93 with standard Lightning Impale. So I know about how to handle these things. The situation is that with the power of the sets, T13 is child's play, and the elite use of affixes doesn't matter. In higher GRs, you tend to be geared for them or have tactics to avoid them. It's the guys like me who level up the old fashioned way, in hardcore, just after 70, that I'm talking about.
01/29/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Oblivion
Geez, posts like the Op's always make me think:

"What if the bestiary had their own forums?"

I can only imagine what'd they complain about regarding us players...
LMAO...I would be willing to swear that a guy posted this exact same thing i 2014 when I originally posted this.

Here's the thing, for 15 Seasons the elites have been well-behaved. It's just this Season they have reverted to old behavior, which, as you know, Is Blizzard SNAFU. Usually when Blizzard introduces a patch or fixes something, it breaks two or three other things. I think this Season it's Elite cooldown timers (believe it or not, they do have them).
/FACEPALM
01/29/2019 10:25 AMPosted by StoneOld
Good Grief...

Pretty much my reaction to this thread.
The elites are fine. Standing in a pool of acid or a descrator wont kill you instantly unless your undergeared or pushing the highest of stuff.
Most affixes have a Cooldown associated with them. Jailor cannot happen multiple times in a row off the same monster pack or you cannot be nightmared multiple times in a row by the same pack.

Stop pulling more then you can handle. If you always running for your life, lower the difficulty down as your too undergeared for what your trying to do.

And if Torment 1 is giving you these problems as a fresh 70 then craft yourself a full set of rare gear and get the correct affixes on your equipment. Many of us have done fresh hardcore's w/o headrigs gift just fine. Yes until you get a set bonus going, your safety margin is limited to mainly T1 difficulty. Look for gear with some % damage reductions.
You're a Nephalem.

Handle it.
hehe, remember the green lines or RG forums comedy thread years ago?

Perdition: Nerf Bane of Stricken now!!! TOO OP!
Happens to me all the time while chasing a gob, I don't look at my surroundings, and just B-line it for the GOB. Only difference is I am soft core and I kill them all without dying.

Actually they just made dandelions legal in Canada, so I took advantage of it last night while playing, and I really need to try a GR to see how long it actually takes. It seemed to take forever, and I DID notice my surroundings, I was seeing everything going on.

I am on the fence about how I feel about playing in that state of mind.

DERAILED!

Usually when I die in hard-core it's because, 1) I did some thing stupid, 2) Disconnect, 3) Started watching YouTube without pausing the game.

word...I can't tell you how many times I died to something stupid that could've been avoided...but disconnects are the worst feeling in the world...especially when it's server side >.<
Killing every monster in the area, stepping away for 2 minutes to grab a snack. Come back to dead character. DAMN BLOOD MARSH! I now almost always hit esc tabs before leaving my game in progress.

Only happened once lol
The Blood Springs in the Blood Mash com and go in what seem to be random locations. Standing on one spot now might not be save 30 seconds from now. BUt there is a way to avoid them.

Observe the ground. There will be what look like low, bare spots, and higher areas covered with brush that wind across the landscape. These higher areas will never see a Blood Spring. The lower areas, however, will randomly fill with blood, and later disappear. This goes on continuously in the Blood Marsh. So the best way to avoid damage from one of these things, which can be very dramatic at higher levels, is to stick to the grassy areas.
01/30/2019 01:37 PMPosted by Dusky
Killing every monster in the area, stepping away for 2 minutes to grab a snack. Come back to dead character. DAMN BLOOD MARSH! I now almost always hit esc tabs before leaving my game in progress.

Only happened once lol

This is actually something I miss from D2:LoD just sitting still too long, and Baal would randomly smite ye
OP has been complaining about Elites for years, lol.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Offer the Elites punch and pie!