Blizzcon was 3 months ago

General Discussion
The game is 7 years old and we have all gotten our moneys worth 100x over. You guys are delusional if you think Blizz is gonna dump any more resources into D3 like new characters or content.
02/04/2019 07:55 AMPosted by Chetanji
It looks like the Blizzard side of the equation is being held hostage!

I think this statement is a bit of an exaggeration.
Cool it.
02/03/2019 04:51 PMPosted by Avalon
Still no word on anything,

02/03/2019 05:06 PMPosted by Alexismad
MULTIPLE PROJECTS! FORGES BURNING HOT! DID WE SAY MULTIPLE PROJECTS!!!

Well, they have told us about a few projects besides DIE, but not the BIG one we want to know about - which is Diablo PC content.

So far we have:

-Patch 2.6.4 (this is the news blog Nev referenced at Blizzcon. Blogs are the front page news posts).
-Switch Amibo Treasure Goblin in December 2018
-Release of "Book of Adria: A Diablo Bestiary" in December 2018.
-Announcement of 4 new Blizzard Art books including one for the art of Diablo, not just Diablo 3. To be released this fall 2019.

Smaller projects will be in the News Blog posts on the front page of the website. Anything major like a new class for D3, or a new Diablo PC game, is going to happen at a major conference of some sort. I don't think we have had any of those yet this year that Blizzard usually attends.

A few options:

PAX East: Boston, MA, USA. Mar 28 - 31, 2019
Gamescom: Cologne, Germany Aug 20–24, 2019
Blizzcon: Anaheim, CA, USA Nov TBD, 2019
and a very very small chance at E3.
02/04/2019 10:17 AMPosted by MissCheetah
-Patch 2.6.4 (this is the news blog Nev referenced at Blizzcon. Blogs are the front page news posts).
-Switch Amibo Treasure Goblin in December 2018
-Release of "Book of Adria: A Diablo Bestiary" in December 2018.
-Announcement of 4 new Blizzard Art books including one for the art of Diablo, not just Diablo 3. To be released this fall 2019.

I do understand these qualify as "projects", but none of these required a hype video to set them up or having developers, CMs, and executives repeating the mantra "multiple projects, forges burning hot" over and over and over again. I understand they like to do big announcements at big events blah blah blah, but they have not failed this hard at a Blizzcon before.

PAX East: Boston, MA, USA. Mar 28 - 31, 2019

A major PC announcement at this event might help them save face.

Gamescom: Cologne, Germany Aug 20–24, 2019

If they wait this long, it will probably be too late.

Blizzcon: Anaheim, CA, USA Nov TBD, 2019

This is definitely too late.

I loved D1 and played it into the ground. I loved D2 and played it into the ground. When D3 was announced, I couldn't wait to throw my money at Blizz. D3V was a pretty large disappointment for me, but I still gave them the chance to turn the ship around with ROS. They fixed a few things, but left many things broken, such as end game options. Necro came out, and having learned my lesson, waited to see if it was what I wanted before I bought it. Still haven't bought it. If it drops in the $5 super sale range, I might buy it for the stash tabs.

If they have what they are hyping to have, they better put their money where their mouth is before they lose more of their fanbase.
My issue is not so much the lack of new content, because as the fantabulous MissCheetah indicated, we’ve gotten some small content, and the good stuff won’t come until much later (if at all).

My issue (as Avalon knows) is that in response to the D:I fiasco, Blizzard is “fully committed to engaging the community”, yet they have failed spectacularly at doing so. I don’t mind being patient for new content I care about, but it is beyond frustrating to witness the borderline incompetence that constitutes Blizzard’s current “engagement”.

Then again, I guess I should appreciate it for what it is, right?
My issue (as Avalon knows) is that in response to the D:I fiasco, Blizzard is “fully committed to enganging the community”, yet they have failed spectacularly at doing so. I don’t mind being patient for new content I care about, but it is beyond frustrating to witness the borderline incompetence that constitutes Blizzard’s current “engagement”.

This is the issue almost everyone has, including me. I know the CMs are VERY limited in what they can say and that most of what they do is collect feedback, write the news blog posts, run engagement/marketing content like contests and even the Newphalem campaign. That is fine. I think most people are aware of their role by now. They can't tell us what we want to hear.

What I can't accept though is that there was never a statement from the actual Management and PR type folks. The ones who made the call to announce DI at Blizzcon which was a terrible misjudgement of the audience. If nothing else, they should have admitted that was a mistake in PR judgement and acknowledged that the PC gamers are waiting on more, even if they can't tell us what that is right now. Is it so hard to just admit when you screw up?

There is nothing really wrong with the existence of a Diablo game on phones. It was the choice to announce it at Blizzcon as the "star" of the show - to a largely PC audience starved for PC content. Another venue to announce it would have been fine. They really seem out of touch with their customer base if they thought that was ok.
@MissCheetah - couldn’t agree with you more. I also think that what’s happened since the “we hear you” post has not really reflected all that well on Blizzard. In no particular order, Blizzard’s engagement since that post has largely consisted of:

- A contest to win a Diablo-themed Switch and a copy of D3...which essentially required you to already own a Switch and a copy of D3.
- PTR announcements indicating the PTR would be up for only a week because...reasons.
- Apologies for messing up the Era end date, the Season start date, and the official Nintendo announcement for the start of Seasons on the Switch.
- The Newphalem campaign - while I think it’s not a bad idea, I believe the timing, communication and execution have been horribly lacking. It also doesn’t help that Blizzard is asking for PC players - the very players they shafted at Blizzcon - to do all the heavy lifting.

Like I said, I’m ok with being patient for content I know likely won’t arrive for months. What I’m not ok with is the continued radio silence regarding the D:I announcement, combined with, IMO, the repeated and entirely avoidable missteps involving how they have otherwise dealt with the Diablo community.

They just can’t seem to get out of their own way, and it’s painful to watch. Then again, I might just be bitter towards them generally, which could be influencing my opinion.
I, too, was hoping for a new PC Diablo game announcement at Blizzcon and was disappointed in the show, but it was obvious they just weren't ready and didn't have anything to show.
At this point, I don't think that feeling would change for me or many others if today they released a statement officially saying it was in the works and details will come later (mostly because they've already unofficially done that and it hasn't helped). So, I, personally would rather them just wait until they actually have a playable demo ready at a conference to play. If that means wait 9 months to Blizzcon, that's fine by me.
If they announced today, but didn't give any details or have demo ready until Blizzcon, the exact same negativity going on right now would continue asking why it takes so long and why not more details. So, we might as well just get all the announcement and the details all at the same time.
02/04/2019 11:00 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Is it so hard to just admit when you screw up?

Considering what you should already know about gamers' egos, you already know the answer.
02/03/2019 09:42 PMPosted by Imperius
This community does nothing but cry and complain. If I was a blizzard dev I would have nothing good to say about this community.

If you give a baby candy, then take it away... It's your fault the baby is crying.

If blizz had told us before blizzcon... "yeah were pretty much done with D3." There would be a lot less people crying right now.

Instead they said... "HEY DUDES YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FREAKING AWESOME THIS BLIZZCON IS GONNA BE FOR DIABLO! LIKE HOLY CRAP WHEN YOU FIND OUT HOW AWESOME IT'S GONNA BE! YOU'RE JUST GONNA EXPLODE!"

... officially licenced mobile ripoff of diablo 3 ...

Really?

Now I have to use bluestacks to play a less good version of diablo 3?

Is this a twilight zone episode?
I know the CMs are VERY limited in what they can say

MissCheeto, I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. I've brought up before this notion that the CMs are limited in what they can say. As you well know, there is a stickied thread that exists - the infamous "We hear you" one.

Totally honest question here, and I hate to even ask you, but you're the closest thing to someone privy to this sort of information that we have that's willing/able to engage:

Is a CM truly unable to go into that thread and simply post "we're still here?" I obviously get that a CM can't blurt out release dates and confidential information, but I find it very hard to believe someone with a blue tag can't at least let people know the thread is still being visited by the company.

Is it because it'd be viewed as antagonistic? Is there a for-sure policy that's says EVERYTHING they say is screened first? Are CMs really just copy-pasters these days? I mean, good grief...George Bush was still alive the last time we had a blue post in that thread.

Again - I know you're as in the dark as most of us. Just a frustrated person grasping at straws to try to give these people the benefit of a whole lot of doubt.
02/04/2019 01:32 PMPosted by Putridian
I know the CMs are VERY limited in what they can say

MissCheeto, I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. I've brought up before this notion that the CMs are limited in what they can say. As you well know, there is a stickied thread that exists - the infamous "We hear you" one.

Totally honest question here, and I hate to even ask you, but you're the closest thing to someone privy to this sort of information that we have that's willing/able to engage:

Is a CM truly unable to go into that thread and simply post "we're still here?" I obviously get that a CM can't blurt out release dates and confidential information, but I find it very hard to believe someone with a blue tag can't at least let people know the thread is still being visited by the company.

Is it because it'd be viewed as antagonistic? Is there a for-sure policy that's says EVERYTHING they say is screened first? Are CMs really just copy-pasters these days? I mean, good grief...George Bush was still alive the last time we had a blue post in that thread.

Again - I know you're as in the dark as most of us. Just a frustrated person grasping at straws to try to give these people the benefit of a whole lot of doubt.

That thread is a hot potato where they are not going to post anything in it unless management and PR folks say they can. Some people take anything Blue as the CM speaking for the whole company - in this case as an "official" comment on the DI fiasco. Posting "we are still here" was done once in there, but nothing good came of it because it was not what players want to hear.

The CMs can do more than copy paste (sort of), but not in THAT thread.

Mostly you see them:

- answering basic questions about current content (backed by documentation such as patch notes/game guide or it it is something new they email the Devs/talk to Devs before commenting). This is to ensure they are as accurate as possible. You will find these sorts of posts on the forums and on reddit occasionally.

- commenting on errors/bugs when they can. This also requires reaching out to the QA team and/or Devs for comment before they can say anything. Although once they get an answer they can phrase it how they wish. Usually acknowledgement of the issue and a status.

- posting the News Blog articles on the website front page. These are part of Publishing which means all subject matter is approved, planed, reviewed, and the final text approved for publishing. Comments the CMs make in response to posters may be more free form if they are answering questions about the article.

-Twitter/FB engagement campaigns. These are approved posts designed to elicit a response from community members (contests, trivia, fan art shares) or share information (season start, patch notes, etc.)

-What the forums call "fluff" . Which is just casually engaging and chatting with players about fairly non controversial stuff. Favorite builds, favorite class, Season start snacks, pets, whatever. Just being human and friendly. That stuff does not require approval and is something many CMs enjoy doing. Sadly because it is not "serious" stuff (like the answers players want from Devs), they take some flack for it.

Does that help at all? I know I am not covering everything, but I think that gets some of the basics.
I will no longer fall for any Blizzard hype, I am done with community speculations.

From this: six months ago (we are hard at work).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVaqS_bd-8

To this: three months ago (we did not ask for this).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KBNQe5hTM

To this: next week (the shareholders now want answers).
https://edge.media-server.com/m6/p/jic528a3
DIE

Which means?
DIE as the verb refering to the Diablo franchise dying after the "let's all move to mobile world" arrogant statement or DIE refering to Diablo Immor(t)al Entropy?
[quote="207698277400"]Except in 'maintenance mode' it's all about keeping the status quo and not actually making any changes including numerical changes so Keyblade spamming that is just spam.

New MAP - Not happening
New Class - Not happening
Tweeking Numbers ( IE BUFFS ) 50% damage to 500000% damage - Yes this is a change but its not actually new content. Being able to go from GR100 to GR120 isnt actually new content. GRs are the same from 1 to 150 they simply just HARDER.

What people want is something new . IE new Class, new dungeons, a way to determine what affixes you get via some kind of Elite Affix/Mob Type System therefore giving you more control over GRs. A huge change to LON to make it a passive not a ring set change the ringset to PRIMAL ONLY and have a larger number on it. These are just ideas but honestly ANYTHING would do.
But all we get is lazy number tweeks apparently everything 2 years which honestly i think would take 5 to 10 minutes to do when updating the code.[/quote
These sound like things YOU want. You do not speak for all players. Your Obama fueled entitlement is showing.
In hindsight, the "we hear you" and "we're fully committed to engaging the community" message was a horrible decision for Blizzard - they should have just straight up apologized and/or addressed the situation, quickly and quietly, and we'd probably have moved on at this point. Instead, Blizzard comes across as willfully ignoring the player base that they already antagonized with their D:I debacle.

I don't know what's worse - the radio silence from Blizzard that happens 90% of the time, or the other 10% of the time, when they completely screw up almost any "engagement" they try with the community. Even when they try to do something worthwhile, they almost always mess it up. Who in the world thought that D3 Switch contest was a good idea? Why can't Blizzard get simple things such as Era/Season dates correct? How can they keep messing up Writ's leg year after year?

The Newphalem post is a prime example. Why wasn't this done to coincide for when D3 for the Switch was released? Do they not realize that a good portion of people that would respond to that post are the exact same people who are pissed off because of what happened at Blizzcon? How could they not anticipate that people would express anger and frustration and openly mock them? They somehow thought it would be a great idea to set this up so that right after they severely antagonize a good portion of the PC Diablo community, they ask that very same group to basically take on the entire responsibility of helping new Switch players - WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but it seems as if almost everything they do these days related to Diablo is laughably bad and borderline incompetent. They keep getting in their own way and make mistake after mistake after mistake.
I know the CMs are VERY limited in what they can say and that most of what they do is collect feedback, write the news blog posts, run engagement/marketing content like contests and even the Newphalem campaign.

If this is the case then don't say you are looking to improve communication if you know it's not your call and within your power to do so. If you know you can't deliver on the goods then don't tell us you will. The CMs are at fault here.
02/04/2019 03:16 PMPosted by BrownieMix
In hindsight, the "we hear you" and "we're fully committed to engaging the community" message was a horrible decision for Blizzard - they should have just straight up apologized and/or addressed the situation, quickly and quietly, and we'd probably have moved on at this point. Instead, Blizzard comes across as willfully ignoring the player base that they already antagonized with their D:I debacle.

Agreed. I think this is something many many people feel. An acknowledgment at least would have helped.

I don't know what's worse - the radio silence from Blizzard that happens 90% of the time, or the other 10% of the time, when they completely screw up almost any "engagement" they try with the community. Even when they try to do something worthwhile, they almost always mess it up. Who in the world thought that D3 Switch contest was a good idea? Why can't Blizzard get simple things such as Era/Season dates correct? How can they keep messing up Writ's leg year after year?

The quality control issues span multiple games at this point. It really really looks bad. I know it is not the CM's fault, but they get stuck on the front lines. The issues is that they seem to mess up simple BASIC stuff - as in core season buffs or start/end times. We players understand when there is a complex interaction between an item, new skill, etc that has unforeseen impacts. However, we expect the seasons and special event to work correctly at the basic level. That is not too much to ask. I have linked a WoW MVP post on this before as well...and I posted in it too. Ongoing issue.

The Newphalem post is a prime example. Why wasn't this done to coincide for when D3 for the Switch was released? Do they not realize that a good portion of people that would respond to that post are the exact same people who are pissed off because of what happened at Blizzcon? How could they not anticipate that people would express anger and frustration and openly mock them? They somehow thought it would be a great idea to set this up so that right after they severely antagonize a good portion of the PC Diablo community, they ask that very same group to basically take on the entire responsibility of helping new Switch players - WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but it seems as if almost everything they do these days related to Diablo is laughably bad and borderline incompetent. They keep getting in their own way and make mistake after mistake after mistake.

Timing on the Newphalem campaign is a bit off, I agree. Season 16 release (or just before) would have been better I think. I disagree they are asking JUST PC players though.

Thankfully, our community of PC and console players has game knowledge in spades! To help these groups connect, we’re creating an ongoing blog compiling helpful information, as well as a handful of helpful posts on social media.

They are asking all current players to assist if they can, which is not totally unreasonable. I see this engagement campaign as an effort to bring together ALL Diablo 3 players regardless of platform - community building. It may or may not work, but I don't think it is a mistake to try. I am a fan of helping people though, so maybe I am a bit different in this.

[/quote]

Spot on.

I'm pretty sure there is no developers left in the current D3 supporting team who has deep knowledge about game engine internals and for new assigned devs there is very steep learning curve to manage the code. The reason - the bugs we have in game and how long (if ever) it takes to fix them or at least to try to fix them. It seems that the code is written in very unusual way. Like some of the bugs with zillions of damage with DH+Necro combo when instead of just setting mob's HP to zero for some mysterious reason a huge damage is applied to it. What for? You have nothing else to keep CPU busy with? How about freaking Area Damage lag spikes in higher GRs which keeps coming back again and again and again. And as usual nobody in Dev's team has a clue why again. What your QAs are doing anyway? I'm not even talking here about regression and integration testing but have your QAs even tried to go in GR120+ in 4 players team not in Challenge Rifts freaking builds but in real builds from top-100 leaderbords? Your QAs team have to do it at least a few times before every minor patch goes live and after every maintenance just to see that it didn't break anything. This is a Testing 101 for dummies.

It seems that developers themselves do not like playing their own game and do not care about it at all anymore (at least last 2 years).