A Fast and Furious Diablo

General Discussion
I was recently involved in an interesting event with a Demon Hunter in a public Nephalem Rift game - an unannounced race.

This little guy was in his mid 1000's paragons, heavily decorated in Ancients and Primals and augments. As typically as how you would see a DH begin a rift - transform and vault toward the horizon - he did exactly just that with, I assume, the intention of finishing first. Little did he know that though poorly geared, my Necromancer was not by any means under dressed for the occasion - I have built her with maximized mobility plus Frailty to always get the kill.

He was using some kind of Strafe build and, sure enough, he could not keep up. Throughout the entire rift, no matter how he tried, he could never stay ahead (I know because I saw him skip an elite pack just to get in front of me for a second)
I ended up meeting the RG first in the next level right before he showed up and I got the kill.

1 - 0

Second run. He changed into Multishot (LOL) and this is where it became a little difficult. His AoE was too extensive and killing everything before my Bone Armor could touch them thus preventing me from gaining any Inarius stacks and without which means a missing 65% MS. I had to stay back a bit to catch stray mobs in order to produce my little tornado xD
Once I had gotten that, he had already advanced to the next level. BUT. This is where he made a mistake(!) He left an elite pack behind when the bar was nearly full, about 90% or so. So, I killed the elites and saved the bubbles. The other two players sped past me onto the next level when the bar hit 95%. I waited until it was 98% and scooped up the orbs xDDD
RG spawned and I got the kill once again.

2 - 0

Third run. I swapped In-Geom into my cube since I knew he would stick with Multishot. Same thing happened again, but this time, after he killed the first elite pack, my Blood Rush became infinite. I flew ahead of him, skipping everything onto the next level, and continued my way there, miles in front of the slow poke >:D

3 - 0

This experience has led me into thinking that maybe we need a Racing mode as everyone is practically already doing it. But instead of creating annoyance, inconvenience, and sometimes even resentment within the community, Blizz should make a separate game mode where players get rewarded for finishing first.

Maybe have a similar Rift, with mobs and elites and all that, but minus all the materials and items, then players would get rewarded based on finishing time, kills, etc. That'd be cool, right?
Challenge Rifts are a thing already but yeah, nice job.
03/09/2019 11:45 AMPosted by naksiloth
Challenge Rifts are a thing already but yeah, nice job.

No I mean at the same time lol xD
Hah. I'm not sure I agree with your request for a 'race mode', but pleasantly amusing story nonetheless. I can picture it. Nothing wrong with a little competition, but these try hards....
03/09/2019 11:40 AMPosted by SevenShadow
Maybe have a similar Rift, with mobs and elites and all that, but minus all the materials and items, then players would get rewarded based on finishing time, kills, etc. That'd be cool, right?

If I wanted to play a racing game, I'd play Need for Speed or Grand Turismo. A racing aspect seems like a poor thing to put into an ARPG. I'd rather they focus on making an excellent ARPG in my Diablo instead, but I guess that ship sailed in 2001.
03/09/2019 04:02 PMPosted by Zeddicuus

If I wanted to play a racing game, I'd play Need for Speed or Grand Turismo. A racing aspect seems like a poor thing to put into an ARPG. I'd rather they focus on making an excellent ARPG in my Diablo instead, but I guess that ship sailed in 2001.

i agree, i prefere an aRPG, blasting mobs, not humans;

but as an option, in a seperate area, to not annoy other players and without any visible award later, why not an extra fun factor for some.
-the whole game is already build around being the fastest with everything, as form of PvP, so i guess it's ok.
((Laughs in Chicken Witch Doctor Voice))

Good Job.
Did they change it so people on a different level when RG is killed can still loot it? If not, I'd refer to this as a Douche Mode, since you robbed him of the loot at least once.
03/09/2019 08:05 PMPosted by Orrion
Did they change it so people on a different level when RG is killed can still loot it? If not, I'd refer to this as a Douche Mode, since you robbed him of the loot at least once.

You can teleport to the person that killed the RG ....if you are paying attention.
I have a movement speed DH 315% Challenge accepted.
03/09/2019 08:05 PMPosted by Orrion

If by loot you mean keys and RG drops then no, I waited for everyone to teleport to me and I'm never the first one to close. With his playstyle I'm not sure he would've done the same.
I open every chest. Usually the paragon 1000-2000s are still gearing so they end up having to run back to see if the legendary or set item that just dropped is an ancient.
So, I killed the elites and saved the bubbles. The other two players sped past me onto the next level when the bar hit 95%. I waited until it was 98% and scooped up the orbs xDDD

If I were racing you, I'd consider this part extremely sneaky but I'd still salute you for having attained max deviousness. Touché. Rest assured that dastardly plans would be hatched in order to obtain payback.
"That's cute" - LoN WoL Monks everywhere
03/10/2019 03:55 AMPosted by Meteorblade
So, I killed the elites and saved the bubbles. The other two players sped past me onto the next level when the bar hit 95%. I waited until it was 98% and scooped up the orbs xDDD

If I were racing you, I'd consider this part extremely sneaky but I'd still salute you for having attained max deviousness. Touché. Rest assured that dastardly plans would be hatched in order to obtain payback.

Lol see this is practically a thing. Blizz just need to make it official.

03/10/2019 09:21 AMPosted by Ryoko
"That's cute" - LoN WoL Monks everywhere

Yeah tell that to the dust flying at their faces. xDDD
See i was in a game 2 days ago and everyone was faster than myself, HotA barbarian. But i was the only one rocking a Nemesis so they would gather around the shrine and wait for my elite to spawn. XD XD hahaha
This is the saddest part about D3. The game creates an annoying ashole mentality. I have chuckled many times knowing that I pissed off some player I didn’t like the style of, which is pretty petty, really.

Hum .... how about a hybrid of normal T13 Rift + Challenge Rift :-

Every week a random T13 equivalent Rift with temporary LB, timer stop immediately after killing of Rift Guardian. Same random rewards from kills as normal Rift but delay all drops until the dead of GR and drop all at once :-)