DiabloFans shutting down.

General Discussion
06/11/2019 03:25 PMPosted by Skelos
DiabloFans has new owners now - Magic Find. Curse/Fandom is out:
https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/6746-a-new-and-exciting-beginning
DFans is active again now. Enjoy!
WOOT! Best news on these forums for a long, long time!

Front page post on the DFans website confirms!
Dead game is dead..NEXT!
You can see why this happened to Diablofans, there has been no meaningful Diablo content in half a decade. Blizzard has killed this formerly amazing IP for unknown reasons. Diablo 4 should have been out by now and it's not even announced.
06/14/2019 04:33 PMPosted by phinn
You can see why this happened to Diablofans, there has been no meaningful Diablo content in half a decade. Blizzard has killed this formerly amazing IP for unknown reasons. Diablo 4 should have been out by now and it's not even announced.

Please note, this is how cluelessness looks guys.
Indeed.
06/14/2019 04:33 PMPosted by phinn
Diablo 4 should have been out by now and it's not even announced.
It may be the case that the development of D4 restarted at some point due to new monetization strategy.

In the past games were made, because of the idea. Now games are made mainly to bring income to their creators. Naturally the design (D) of the game follows the monetization strategy (MS):

MS -> D

A change in MS always serves for a change in D when we aim MS to be optimal and you can be sure that is the case with AVB.

That said I am fairly sure the design of D4 started at some point before Josh Mosqueira left the team, but it changed due to a new MS. In an alternative universe where D is not dependent on MS we would probably already have D4.
06/14/2019 11:38 PMPosted by Skelos
In an alternative universe where D is not dependent on MS we would probably already have D4.

Why would you think that? It was 12 years between D2 (2000) and D3(2012). They don't have a version 2 of WoW (released in 2004), Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, or Overwatch. There is no announcement for a Starcraft 3 despite SC2 releasing in 2010. Nothing about Blizzard makes me think they have a fast development schedule that would have ensured D4 would be out already.

For Comparison:

Starcraft (1998)
Starcraft 2 (2010)
Diablo 1 (1996)
Diablo 2 (2000)
WoW (2004)
Diablo 3 (2012)
Hearthstone (2014)
Heroes of the Storm (2015)
Overwatch (2016)
Diablo Imortal (TBD) I don't really count this though as it is not a PC game. I see it as a spinoff.

There are expansions of course, but not full franchise iterations. Expecting D4 to have happened already does not make sense when looking at Blizzard's history.
06/15/2019 07:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Expecting D4 to have happened already does not make sense when looking at Blizzard's history.
As a person who is experienced in statistics I'll give you one advice: Don't EVER make expectations based on such limited data.

06/15/2019 07:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Why would you think that?
We know with certainty that D3 2nd expansion was scraped and Josh's leaving probably had something to do with that. There is very high chance they started developing D4 at that time and if that is the case indeed D4 should have been already announced at minimum. This leaves two options: D4 was either completely canceled or its design has been changed due to a new monetization strategy thus the delay.
06/15/2019 09:42 AMPosted by Skelos
We know with certainty that D3 2nd expansion was scraped and Josh's leaving probably had something to do with that. There is very high chance they started developing D4 at that time and if that is the case indeed D4 should have been already announced at minimum. This leaves two options: D4 was either completely canceled or its design has been changed due to a new monetization strategy thus the delay.

The 2nd D3 expansion (if it ever was being developed) was scrapped in 2014 before RoS was released. Josh left in 2016. It's unlikely those two are connected.

Cancelling project Hades (the first iteration of D4) happened in 2016 and might have been a cotributor to the Josh's departure. Timeline matches, roughly.

The second iteration of D4 is likely in development under the codename Fenris. But is it ready to be revealed this year yet? I'm very spectical.
06/15/2019 10:14 AMPosted by Kirottu
is it ready to be revealed this year yet?
Everything depends on how big their team is. If it is the D3 size like expect 2030 announcement, if it is the WoW size like this year announcement is definitely possible.
As a person who is experienced in statistics I'll give you one advice: Don't EVER make expectations based on such limited data.

Yet it's the only data available, whereas your assumptions are pulled out of your rear end.

"We know with certaninty.."

What certainty? All I see is speculations based on less than credible articles mentioning cancelled projects, and this forum filled with geniuses claiming it to be automagically true.

Here are the facts; Diablo Immortal is on its way.
Here are the speculations; EVERYTHING ELSE.
06/15/2019 11:02 AMPosted by Alecta
your assumptions
Evidences of D3 2nd expansion has been shown through data mining. Scrapping the expansion makes sense if you plan to change the story and publish another game in the Diablo universe. Not selling stash space in D3 makes sense if you plan to do it in D4. You have to follow the clues Alecta, speculation is not always bad.
06/15/2019 11:18 AMPosted by Skelos
You have to follow the clues Alecta, speculation is not always bad.

I have to? What for? So I can speculate for no reason? Rofl. Ye I'll let you waste your time doing that.

EDIT. Don't claim it to be certain, when it's anything but.
As a person who is experienced in statistics I'll give you one advice: Don't EVER make expectations based on such limited data

Limited data? I listed every single one of their currently supported* and iterated Franchises going back to the start of them with D1 in 1996. That is not limited, it is completely inclusive of ALL the existing data we have. Limited would be looking at only a subset of data or a fraction of the time period. I did neither.

Bottom line. Blizzard has never released game iterations (new version number) fast in the entire history of the company. It was 12 years between D2 and D3. 12 years between SC and SC2. WoW has been going on since 2004 with no WoW2 announced.

Looking at the ENTIRE history and ALL the data we have, thinking D4 would be out by now does not make sense.

*(meaning I am not including one-of titles or games they don't currently make updates to like the Warcraft RTS franchise)
06/15/2019 02:00 PMPosted by MissCheetah
ALL the data we have
All the data you have is limited, because of the sample size - 3 units, not because of its proportion, which is 100% as you noted. But I think you already knew that, no?
YAY, we're back!

I see there's been lots of discussion and rumors, before and after the shutdown. No one really knows why anything happened. I for one am just happy it's back - you only realize how much you miss something when it's gone.

Seeing the speculation about the future might be an interesting topic, we've used this opportunity to restructure some of the forums and I also made a new subforum over at Diablofans just for speculation. Many of you might not know, but Diablofans was initially founded on speculation - it started in 2005 as diablo3.com, three years later Blizzard bought the domain. So whether you're a fan of Diablo 1+2, Diablo 3 (I'm having a blast this season), you're looking forward to Diablo 4 (aren't we all?) or even Diablo: Immortal (it might not be for me, but we have a subforum for that as well) - come join us back at your old home!
06/15/2019 05:25 PMPosted by Bagstone
I also made a new subforum over at Diablofans just for speculation.
This section will boom if they announce D4 haha.

06/15/2019 05:25 PMPosted by Bagstone
come join us back at your old home
Old or new home, DFans welcomes every person who enjoys Diablo and discussing it! Every new sign-up will show the new owners our dedication to the game!
06/15/2019 02:36 PMPosted by Skelos
06/15/2019 02:00 PMPosted by MissCheetah
ALL the data we have
All the data you have is limited, because of the sample size - 3 units, not because of its proportion, which is 100% as you noted. But I think you already knew that, no?

Dude just stop. You're making a jerk out of yourself all over the forums. Just look at peoples responses to your replies.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/