dual boxing question

General Discussion
I am contemplating buying a second copy of Diablo3 mainly for the extra character tabs. Also to park a new alt at the entrance of a rift to have another one of my alts PL them. but my question is this. If i log onto bnet with my original account do i purchase the second game with that original account and login. Or do I need to use a second email address for the second copy of the game.
From Google results I know to make a copy of the D3 folder to run the second game, but do I have to have a separate user name(email address) to run the 2nd copy while original game is running. Please someone explain to me the steps I will need to do to run this second game at the same time(at least for logging in).
Each account has to have its own email address.

You can however buy a copy from your main account and gift it to that email address.

You do NOT have to have a separate installation of the game.

You can run either a second instance of the 64bit engine, or if you have 8GB or less memory, you may want to run 32bit engine.

To run the second instance, you simply need to make a fresh shortcut to the Diablo III x64.exe or Diablo III.exe and you have to add a -launch in the properties window for the shortcut in the target line, all the way at the end, after the ".
02/11/2019 08:45 AMPosted by DTMAce

You can however buy a copy from your main account and gift it to that email address.

You do NOT have to have a separate copy of the game.

I know what you mean - you mean you don't need to have two installations of the game to run two instances of it.

You DO need two game licenses on two separate Bnet accounts though. Just clarifying for anyone who is not familiar with how this all works. I know that you know, but someone new to Diablo might see this post and get confused.
All items are account bound and are not transferrable to other accounts.

You only dual box when you want to bot bounties and give your main account the bounties.
How is the 2nd account holding for more tabs? After 2hrs all items are account bound.
02/11/2019 09:38 AMPosted by Faux
How is the 2nd account holding for more tabs? After 2hrs all items are account bound.

True. You don't really get more tabs. But, for people who want to keep separate gear for builds they can use the characters there to dedicate to each build. Some folks prefer that.
02/11/2019 08:35 AMPosted by Beast
I am contemplating buying a second copy of Diablo3 mainly for the extra character tabs

I don't believe you.

I don't believe people who say they need more space for characters.

There's no way you regularly play more than one or two of them.

It's like in WoW when people say they don't have a main.

... dude you're not playing the game the right way.

Delete your old characters and just focus on the one or two that you actually play.

You only actually need one of each class btw.
02/11/2019 09:25 AMPosted by MissCheetah

You do NOT have to have a separate copy of the game.

I know what you mean - you mean you don't need to have two installations of the game to run two instances of it.

You DO need two game licenses on two separate Bnet accounts though. Just clarifying for anyone who is not familiar with how this all works. I know that you know, but someone new to Diablo might see this post and get confused.

Well, they have already been using Google and getting misled a bit. One of these days I should do a full write up.
02/11/2019 09:55 AMPosted by Buckles
I am contemplating buying a second copy of Diablo3 mainly for the extra character tabs

I don't believe you.

Delete your old characters and just focus on the one or two that you actually play.

People can play as many of each class as they want for as many builds as they want.

Some people don't like the armory cause it has been known to bug out and it still uses up stash space. Swapping toons is faster than changing gear and builds manually.

I usually end up with a new toon after a season.

I don't believe you.

[/quote]

I could care less if you believe me or not, Though it is more than a bit rude to call someone a liar. When you start paying for my accounts then your opinion will matter to me

I don't believe you.

Who are you to say what people need? I easily fill 2 tabs per class with dedicated build items, thats 14 tabs if you cant count. Meaning i have to mule gear to hold it all. Lets not even talk about people who play hardcore as well. Worry about yourself.
A workaround I've read is to create two characters for each class. Each character wears one set and carries a second set build in their personal inventory. Leave one stash tab open to temporarily empty out the inventory of whatever character you want to play at the moment.

Of course, this runs into issues if you want to play hardcore and seasonal.