Diablofans is saying goodbye

General Discussion
D3 goes into maintenance mode. Diablofans.com goes into archive mode. And Blizzard still has yet to tell us what the future of the Diablo franchise is (and no, D:I does not count).
Wow this is depressing. This was my go-to site!
I always liked how ancient the site looked compared to other pages.. could truly tell they were around since the beginning.
what you expected ? :DD

say thanks to actiblizz and how pathetic the game is right now

meanwhile waiting for the new league you know where :)))
02/21/2019 08:29 AMPosted by BrownieMix
Sad news - I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve gone there for build advice and to learn what Blizzard is up to. A fantastic resource.

https://www.diablofans.com/news/49102-diablofans-says-farewell
Whats so interesting to note remember J-Dubbs when he said basically:

"We went away with skill trees because everyone in D2 looked up a guide"
"We didn't want people to look up how to build a char, and instead ended up doing this forced-release of skills while leving, thus not letting you choose at all what skills to go for, and only letting you choose between what gets unlocked at that exact level, which may be of no power up to you at all, so you leveled but you got not-powerful at all. Also, you may want to use a skill, but bc it's slotted to unlock at a certain level, you cant."

This is why leveling in D3 is horrible.
Also, everyone looks up guides in D3 anyway Mr Dubbs.

You thought you'd avoid some netdecking problem, like how in any way would skills being swappable make people not look up builds??

What was your genius logic for ruining the game?
Dfans...has viewers...even though you have open skills.
Why did you say you wanted to 'get away from lookups' as your logic for open skills...when it didn't happen at all?
Probably not a good idea to shut down shortly before Diablo Immortal comes out. Phone games set the bar pretty low, so a Blizzard phone game could easily become the best phone game available.
02/21/2019 12:04 PMPosted by Thorodan
"We went away with skill trees because everyone in D2 looked up a guide"
"We didn't want people to look up how to build a char, and instead ended up doing this forced-release of skills while leving, thus not letting you choose at all what skills to go for, and only letting you choose between what gets unlocked at that exact level, which may be of no power up to you at all, so you leveled but you got not-powerful at all. Also, you may want to use a skill, but bc it's slotted to unlock at a certain level, you cant."

I get what he was going for, in that they wanted it to be more accessible to the average player. They did succeed in that you can throw together nearly anything and PLAY the game, even at a fairly decent GR level. If you want to be GOOD though you still have to look up guides. That will always be the case in an RPG.

I don't think the trade off was worth it. I would have preferred more depth and more of a rewarding feeling leveling a char and applying points.
This is a real serious sign that Diablo III is bogged down in the swamp, slowly sinking into the tar pit.

This great game is on it's back, belly up, begging for forgiveness, "Please don't kill Diablo III,....please!!!"

There is an echo that is unanswered...........

No one is there to help you Diablo III!

Yes, there are many thousands that still love you, but you are sinking into the tar pit.
Gone.......gone.......bye bye ..................gone!

May you rest in Peace.

Your rewards will never be forgotten, your great gifts to the world still abound in our hearts.

The writing is on the walls.
Is a PTR update coming? Quick refresh Diablofans for datamines! Thanks for the memories!
I as a customer have also said goodbye. It was a great while it lasted. Thank you for my favorite game of all time Diablo 2 sad to see it die. Also my many years as a WOW player. It is a shame you detoured so far off the path you actually destroyed your games and many fans.
Holy cow...

Well, I think my stash problems are now a thing of the past. Really no need to hold onto things expecting any significant reworking.

Maintenence denial mode is now over and in acceptance mode.

After being "rekt", I've really given Diablo a lot of benefit of the doubt but gotta accept reality some time.
The only place I went for build guides, sad to see the site go. : (
This is sad news. I always used the DiabloFans build section. I saw this coming with the non-existent new builds in the last few months. D3 should have been a good Diablo 2 Successor, but unfortunately it wasn't. (in my opinion)

I think we shall see DiabloFans again when D4 launches :) hopefully D4 will return to Diablo's roots, and give us the D2LOD successor we all wanted since 2012.

I am hoping we will get a deep and superb D2LOD Successor with D4. A deep Diablo game that will give birth to Websites where we can again have deep wikis full of knowledge. Magic-Findings graphs illustrating sweet-spots for MF values etc. Forums where we can discuss character building strategies, trading, PVP guides, PVM guides, MagicFind guides etc. (All the good stuff I miss from the godlike D2LOD-Era, but with modern tech)
02/21/2019 02:43 PMPosted by TOPCommander
I am hoping we will get a deep and superb D2LOD Successor with D4. A deep Diablo game that will give birth to Websites where we can again have deep wikis full of knowledge. Magic-Findings graphs illustrating sweet-spots for MF values etc. Forums where we can discuss character building strategies, trading, PVP guides, PVM guides, MagicFind guides etc. (All the good stuff I miss from the godlike D2LOD-Era, but with modern tech)

The only way you're going to see any of that is if you have a time machine. The next Diablo is a phone game, doesn't that tell you where Blizzard is going?
02/21/2019 11:28 AMPosted by Zepheron
D3 goes into maintenance mode. Diablofans.com goes into archive mode. And Blizzard still has yet to tell us what the future of the Diablo franchise is (and no, D:I does not count).

I mean, they have, but nobody wants to listen, and for good reason.
That's some sad news. It was by far the most complete source of information related to the game.
I suspect they'll be back after D4 is actually announced and the hype train gets a new engine.
This really reinforces for me that this game is sadly dying, and unlike Diablo 2, there is no Diablo 3 equivalent looming in the distance. Blizzard has committed to making replacement-value Chinese phone games, and for that, I wish a blight upon them and their company. Until D4 is released, they will not get another dollar of mine.
02/21/2019 12:04 PMPosted by Thorodan
Whats so interesting to note remember J-Dubbs when he said basically:

And he implicated it in the vanilla game. Players came up with their own urban strategies at the time of D3 classic.

Those words do not reflect J-Mosq's views however. When he lend an ear to reddit (mostly) and we ended up getting this vicious cycle due to their sarcastic and crooked view of what D2 was. I don't blame either of our directors, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with the results.