Diablofans is saying goodbye

General Discussion
02/21/2019 09:09 PMPosted by naksiloth
02/21/2019 12:04 PMPosted by Thorodan
Whats so interesting to note remember J-Dubbs when he said basically:

And he implicated it in the vanilla game. Players came up with their own urban strategies at the time of D3 classic.

Those words do not reflect J-Mosq's views however. When he lend an ear to reddit (mostly) and we ended up getting this vicious cycle due to their sarcastic and crooked view of what D2 was. I don't blame either of our directors, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with the results.

People don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter what the developer's views are. The view being pushed is always part of the global design philosophy at Blizzard A.K.A the Donut model/theory where the empty center is the core gamer audience and the doughy rich ring is the casual gamer. They design their games for the ring not the center and in practice this means taking a successful formula that has a core audience they can use as a targeted center and then developing a more accessible version that even someone's grandma can play.

This of course is a terribly flawed and outdated retail model and why Blizzard seems so incredibly out of touch in all of their games. Instead of growth they are simply wearing themselves thin as they stretch for broader and broader initial demographic entry with weaker and weaker retention. Why? Because retention is held in the center. That's where the hardcore gamer resides and hopefully where casual gamer moves to.

The irony is that Blizzard's early success and reputation was built on the opposite of this model. The idea was to design the game for the core and then relentlessly polish for accessibility creating a filled circle that would grow.
02/21/2019 11:28 AMPosted by Zepheron
D3 goes into maintenance mode. Diablofans.com goes into archive mode. And Blizzard still has yet to tell us what the future of the Diablo franchise is (and no, D:I does not count).

I think this is what's making the true Diablo fans curl up into balls and rock back and forth. Radio silence.

Sadly though, it shouldn't be any surprise that this type of decision is being made. Amazon bought Twitch. Twitch bought Curse. Curse has been deteriorating since then. In this regard, you can think of Amazon as the holding company much like Activision-Blizzard is relative to Activision and...well, Blizzard. This is essentially the writing on the wall for the rest of the fansites under the Curse and Twitch umbrellas. It almost certainly won't be the last to go down. I'm half expecting the HearthPwn site to go away in the not too distant future unless Blizzard keeps up with frequent content updates for HS.

02/21/2019 12:30 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I get what he was going for, in that they wanted it to be more accessible to the average player. They did succeed in that you can throw together nearly anything and PLAY the game, even at a fairly decent GR level. If you want to be GOOD though you still have to look up guides. That will always be the case in an RPG.

I don't think the trade off was worth it. I would have preferred more depth and more of a rewarding feeling leveling a char and applying points.

The irony here is that the skill trees in and of themselves weren't problematic. It was the obnoxious requirements that each tier of spells have prerequisites in the fashion that they did. They weren't just level locked, but they were also locked behind other arguably useless spells, abilities, and passives. The devs tried to make up for some of that with the synergies, but the way they went about the synergies didn't feel good. A better route would be putting points into two or more abilities that you can then "forge" into a cool hybrid ability.

That is, instead of putting points into the uselss frostbolt or firebolt, you could put points into say, Glacial Spike and Fire Wall, which when morphed would create a hybrid ability that creates an ice wall that when a monster runs into it or it is impacted by a weapon throw, shoots out ice splinters that explode on contact for in a small AoE. There were enough abilities between the skill trees to make something like that a reality.

That is depth. Points having to be put into abilities you wouldn't use for more than a couple levels, if that, is not. D2's skill trees were made needlessly complex in the name of depth where that depth would have been better served in a different mechanic that played off of those skill trees. That is, the skill trees should have been the base component of an overarching character customization scheme.

02/21/2019 12:34 PMPosted by MasterJay
Is a PTR update coming? Quick refresh Diablofans for datamines! Thanks for the memories!

For those that do still enjoy Diablo 3 as a game, this has to be raising concerns that what we just got this season was pretty much the last drop in the bucket and that it was just a test of whether or not to move to 2/3/5 set bonuses down from 2/4/6. While Blizzard loves to keep info close to its virtual chest, I'd be shocked to find that they wouldn't slip some info under NDA to DiabloFans if they had something Diablo related in the pipes that was worth sticking around for. So one really does have to wonder just what's going on with this franchise other than Diablo: Imnotplayingit.

I hope those that were working on the sites as jobs can find other positions within Curse or elsewhere ASAP.

All this layoff and site closure news and the extreme misfires from the gaming companies as a whole are eerily reminiscent of the Great Video Game Crash of 1983. The quality is lacking, the markets are flooded once more, and people are buying less because of it. Kinda scary.
This is unfortunate but really expected. Its like necrosis. Rot and stagnation start in one critical place and the spread of cellular death follows. They say the site is going to be archived but I don't think that will last long.

D-fans, d3planner, D3 Resources, youtube, and the official forums were my sources for D3 info. and builds. There are a few google docs I would refer to infrequently. Soon these forums will be a ghost town. I doubt many will want to theory craft mechanics in the toilet Diablo game.
R I P Diablofans
Gotta make space for the bigger and more improved DiabloImmortalFans site.
kudo's to everyone who held this site up and running... it will be missed
Another sign that more and more people are leaving D3....no hope for this game anymore
Sad news.

Looks like Diablo Immortal either killed or helped with killing diablofans.
Sad, sad news. And the reasons they cite for their closure are even sadder. "Due to the fading interest in current Diablo products and business realities for Curse."

The "business realities" line is open to interpretation - I have my own thoughts on that. But the "fading interest in current Diablo products" line couldn't be clearer.

Activision has GOT to outline a clear and definitive path for this franchise sooner rather than later. It cannot wait until November for the big, gaudy, self-congratulating convention.

Never could I have imagined interest waning so badly in a Blizzard product that the fansites have to close shop. This is a scary and bizarre time to be a fan.
As some one who has made a Diablofans guide, I am sad to see the site go like this. My bookmarks on my computer are 75% diablofans guides lol.
It's sad to see them go as it reinforces what's going on with the Diablo franchise and it's affect on others.

I read the good bye, anyone else notice they didn't list this site as a go to spot?
02/22/2019 06:27 AMPosted by cdm
I read the good bye, anyone else notice they didn't list this site as a go to spot?

Not surprising, given virtually zero information ever comes via this site, Blizzard or otherwise. They'd want to direct fans to go where the info is, given that's what they're there for (or were, rather).
My heart is saddened by this, another nail in the Diablo coffin. But, I leave you prophetic words.

That is not dead, which can eternal lie. Yet with the strangest of aeons, even death may die.

RIP Dfans.
Till we meet again.
02/21/2019 09:24 AMPosted by MissCheetah
It is with great sadness that I must announce the closure of DiabloFans. Our site has been a pillar of the Diablo community for many years, but due to the fading interest in current Diablo products and business realities for Curse, it is time for DiabloFans to say farewell.

This is really sad to see, to be honest. Not really surprised though given they are part of the Curse network and there are financial decisions to be made.

Very grateful for the other resources that still exist.

02/21/2019 09:08 AMPosted by Perusoe
Icy Veins, D3 Planner and D3 Resource.

This likely won't be the last resource to go away unless, against odds, Diablo 3 is somehow reinvigorated. I honestly don't expect it though. D3 will see Season updates and cycles like D2 does, but not much more. That is speculation, but seems logical and likely.

Rest assured that at least Icy Veins is not going to abandon Diablo 3 any time soon.
02/21/2019 11:28 AMPosted by Zepheron
D3 goes into maintenance mode. Diablofans.com goes into archive mode. And Blizzard still has yet to tell us what the future of the Diablo franchise is (and no, D:I does not count).

Man, I remember saying Diablo 3 was in maintenance mode a couple months ago and I got beat with a 1000 lashes on the forums.
02/21/2019 09:24 AMPosted by MissCheetah

This is really sad to see, to be honest. Not really surprised though given they are part of the Curse network and there are financial decisions to be made.

Very grateful for the other resources that still exist.

This likely won't be the last resource to go away unless, against odds, Diablo 3 is somehow reinvigorated. I honestly don't expect it though. D3 will see Season updates and cycles like D2 does, but not much more. That is speculation, but seems logical and likely.

Rest assured that at least Icy Veins is not going to abandon Diablo 3 any time soon.

Thanks Damian. I am glad to know that. I do check your site as well when looking things up. I am a casual noob when it comes to builds so need all the help I can get!
Looks like they are making room for Diablo: Immortal while closing down service for D3 that is pretty much dead. Makes sense in a business standpoint, but what can we do? Plus there is still D4 to think about, so there's that too.
This is so sad.

Can anyone host it on her/his own server?
02/22/2019 01:10 PMPosted by Cybah
This is so sad.

Can anyone host it on her/his own server?

Not unless Curse gives them the intellectual property rights to anything unique to the site and gives them the code. Anyone can make a similar site of course.