Diablofans is saying goodbye

General Discussion
that news comes with a hint of "diablo is dead"

i cry
So Curse bought it just to close it down.
02/22/2019 05:20 PMPosted by BlossomDead

Well...Diablo is dead. The only way it will ever be revived at this point is if, when Blizzard closes down, the IP's are sold to another company that wants to do something with them (maybe even one of the companies formed by the talent that's left Blizzard like Second Dinner- hey I can dream).
But would you know what to do if you were on a sinking ship?

Stay Awhile and Listen

F
Twitch purchased Curse and then Twitch offloaded all the web stuff to Fandom, the wiki company. It's not really been looked after for a long time because Twitch had no interest in the web properties which is why they were offloaded.

This is what happens when big companies take over, the assets are sold on or stripped out. This will be a business decision to reduce costs and streamline the business. They were were only really interested in the wiki side of the curse sites. The fansites were just baggage.

Still, Diabloii.Net is still going after 22 years which is real dedication to the franchise and it's not going away any time soon.
02/23/2019 05:48 PMPosted by Rushster
Still, Diabloii.Net is still going after 22 years which is real dedication to the franchise and it's not going away any time soon.

Problem with Diabloii.net is that is became corrupted by the wiki format and became immensely difficult to find relevant information with. I'm dead serious, the site's a massive mess. Its original incarnation back from the days when D2:LoD was still in its prime was infinitely more useful than the current iteration is. Half the time I'll go looking for D3 info, and I'll get linked to something for D2 and vice versa.

I wish it weren't the case, but sadly it is. Which is a shame, because the treasure trove of info Diabloii.net housed was well put together. It made me die inside a little to see it become such a horrible user exprience. :(
will diablo reddit be the next?
Damn stepped away from this game a few days ago as I was burnt out and just saw this. This legitimately hits me right in the feels. While this game has been on life support (for lack of a better term) this kind of feel like the true beginning to the end.
As a moderator for that site the past 12 years or so, it was a real pleasure working there, and I can assure you until March 21st, I will still be there kicking those spammers to the curb!
02/21/2019 08:39 AMPosted by mungusCREEP
Sign of the times.

Yup, mobile games are so dumbed down for the intelligence-challenged you don't need such sites to learn everything there is about the game which a couple of hours laying would teach you.
02/25/2019 03:33 AMPosted by Kraggy
02/21/2019 08:39 AMPosted by mungusCREEP
Sign of the times.

Yup, mobile games are so dumbed down for the intelligence-challenged you don't need such sites to learn everything there is about the game which a couple of hours laying would teach you.

Agree
02/22/2019 05:20 PMPosted by BlossomDead

Not at all.

When Curse purchased Dfans way back when, they turned our site from a speculation site into a full fledged community site hooking us in with MMO-Champ and all them, they invested in us a lot of time and effort, Curse was purchased by Twitch, and Twitch sold Curse to Fandom - This is just an unfortunate time for Diablo and it was showing in the traffic of the site, which is what prompted the closer, too many resources going into something that wasn't producing.

Who knows what will happen in the future!
F
Are there good alternatives to Diablo Fans in terms of build listings? I used to check IcyVeins but I liked the variety of DF.
I always felt like this was the first site that actually broke the news of Diablo 3. When Blizzard asked them for DIablo3.com domain name, that was when it felt official.

Sad that it is soon going to die. But I can't imagine they make any revenue anymore. Diablo 3 is basically dead, and the game doesn't have enough depth to need to continuously look for strategies and new information.