Rifts shouldn't be 95% of the end game

General Discussion
Rift so you can get to do more rifts.....Make the best item hunting in the rifts and gem leveling and the best experience. Heres a better idea, lets not even make rifts end game. How about you get to skip the whole game entirely and just rift your way from lvl 1 to cap. Anyone else quit this game because doing rifts too much made your brain go numb?
Main reason for this is because of power creep, it has made the rest of the game far too easy. Only GR pose a challenge nowadays. Even ubers are a joke compared to vanilla.
I came back to do the Tristram event, loved it. I was one of the many, many people disappointed by no d2 remaster, so was happy to have at least that. I have quit again because I am at the endlessly doing rifts stage...that's what finally drove me away the first time. Mindless, endless repeating of the exact same thing over and over and over. Nothing ever changes. Nothing ever will.
You are in luck, there are also Grifts! and Bounties, and Ubers!

Oh wait, you can always play PoE where you can do Maps! and the Lab, or Delving!

End game is never enough, no matter what game you play.
02/11/2019 11:18 PMPosted by DOA
You are in luck, there are also Grifts! and Bounties, and Ubers!

Oh wait, you can always play PoE where you can do Maps! and the Lab, or Delving!

End game is never enough, no matter what game you play.
I strongly disagree with that. First of all bounties and ubers are the 5% remainder of 95%. 2nd of all the game being 85% rifts is too much. Its just mindless repetition. My head literally starts to go numb after trying to rift more than 30 minutes at a time. Most games I can sink hours into in one session. This game has so much more potential than what they did for it.
Failure to plan for an expansion and future content, and endgame.

Simple solution for Diablo 4:

Have a majority of power come from the character's attributes and character level.
Level cap prior to expansion.

Don't power creep completely beyond any reason, and actually have a plan:

Vanilla: Defense comes mainly from low monster damage

Expansion 1: Items add more resistances than vanilla -- but not going from 50% resistances average to 95% resistances average. Point damage reduction could be relevant in a balanced combat system where 10 damage reduction on one single item becomes significant. Have Arcane, Holy and Poison severely underused by enemies, and resistances to these rarer.

Expansion 2: Greater focus on mobility and manually avoiding attacks, and Arcane, Holy and Poison

Expansion 3: Telegraphed attacks that require manual dodging, attacks that pierce resistances and armor, counteracts dodge, as well as more potent Arcane, Holy, and Poison attacks.

...additionally: Make base chance to hit based on level difference between player and monster / player.

...

Simple defense system that scales according to "level":

Armor | Max amount blocked
Resistance | Max amount resisted

Ring, 40% fire resistance (20): Reduced fire damage by 40% but only 20 points.
Combine with a helmet with 20% fire resistance (40) -- and you get 60% (60): Reduces 60% of fire damage, but only up to 60 points.

Great for low level characters, when a monster deals 80 fire damage, and you take 32 damage.
Bad at higher levels, when a monster deals 500 fire damage, and you take 440 damage.

Allows for combination of items and allows you to get 100% without 100% actually posing a problem:
100% (100) still means 110 damage pierces by 10, and high resistances grant low coverage.

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum