D4 wont be as awesome as we expect

General Discussion
Today ActiBlizz admitted that the forced redundancy of 800 employees recently will have a negative effect on morale and development.

Read the full article here https://www.pcgamesn.com/activision-blizzard-job-cuts-might-hurt-business?amp

I can only speak for myself when I say I have doubts that Diablo 4 will be the amazing game we all want/expect if Activision admit themselves that losing 800 employees will impact the quality of their products as a result.

Thoughts?
Ill be surprised if D4 is more than a cell phone app.
Blizzard is done with PC. Follow the money.
Thought they let non developers go while saying they were going to hire more game developers. Think they aiming to cut cost and put money where it will allow them to push out games faster. /shrug
D4 might not become the next best thing in the RPG genre, but the premise of your post is wrong. Good or not, those layoffs wont have an impact on D4.

Among those 800 employees none were Blizzard devs, let alone devs from the Diablo team. The blizzard employees who lost their jobs were in marketing, esports and other non-development areas.

Blizzard is set to hire 20% more employees by the end of the year, in an attempt to speed up development of whatever the hell they are doing. Activision-Blizzard said so in the earnings call from February 12 and explained that 2019 would see no major releases for Blizzard, but 2020 should be an interesting year.

But then again, people who are reading this right now will probably chose to ignore those verifiable facts.
03/04/2019 12:03 AMPosted by Shogun
Ill be surprised if D4 is more than a cell phone app.
Blizzard is done with PC. Follow the money.
Then it’s odd that Activision Blizzard specifically talked about speeding up development for PC titles from Blizzard Entertainment... just saying...

This doesn’t mean he was talking about D4, but it does show that you are probably wrong about that
I'm not expecting anything from D4.
03/04/2019 12:18 AMPosted by Imperius
Good or not, those layoffs wont have an impact on D4.

The CEO said the layoffs would negatively affect the company, wouldn't even necessarily fix the problem they were intended to resolve and they would have a negative effect on morale of everyone left in the company which would obviously include any staff that were working on D4 (if that even exists). So, are you trying to suggest you know the company and staff better than the company's own CEO?
03/04/2019 12:32 AMPosted by Meteorblade
Good or not, those layoffs wont have an impact on D4.

The CEO said the layoffs would negatively affect the company, wouldn't even necessarily fix the problem they were intended to resolve and they would have a negative effect on morale of everyone left in the company which would obviously include any staff that were working on D4 (if that even exists). So, are you trying to suggest you know the company and staff better than the company's own CEO?

I’m not saying I know the staff, but I can read and this article doesn’t mention Blizzard Entertainment... Activision Blizzard has several subsidiaries and some of them were hit hard by those cuts, while Blizzard was left relatively untouched... considering the cuts were made in areas that do not directly affect developers.

Sure, maybe some employees lost a friend in the process, I can’t tell, but the bottom line is that there shouldn’t be much repercussions on development teams... everything remained the same for them.
03/04/2019 12:40 AMPosted by Imperius
but the bottom line is that there shouldn’t be much repercussions on development teams... everything remained the same for them.
The developers may have escaped the majority of the job cuts but that doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing after that:

The report goes on to say that beyond unplanned costs caused by the layoffs, there may also be knock-on effects such as decreased employee morale and productivity, and difficulty hiring and retaining highly-skilled employees.
Sure, maybe some employees lost a friend in the process, I can’t tell, but the bottom line is that there shouldn’t be much repercussions on development teams... everything remained the same for them.

Except for their morale.
Demotivated staff don't work as hard as happy staff.
but the bottom line is that there shouldn’t be much repercussions on development teams... everything remained the same for them.
The developers may have escaped the majority of the job cuts but that doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing after that:

[quote]The report goes on to say that beyond unplanned costs caused by the layoffs, there may also be knock-on effects such as decreased employee morale and productivity, and difficulty hiring and retaining highly-skilled employees.

Those are hypothetical for the moment and again it doesn't specify Blizzard, let alone game development. For all we know he could be talking about Activision Publishing or any other subsidiary.

We'll see how it turns out, but this article doesn't strike me as something of much relevance. At least, not regarding Blizzard Entertainment.
So the guy involved in the firing are saying the morale will be bad for the ones remaining?

Its almost sound like the division director of my company said we are too expensive, while he drove a company sponsored Mercedes S class to our location, for the layoff talk.
My thoughts?

I'm not expecting anything. That is to say - I know that there's a next Diablo game in the works for the PC but i'm not expecting it to be like D2 or D3.
Regarding how good or bad it would be in my eyes will have to wait until the game is announced, released and played from the start of the campaign till the end game.

going into conclusions before hand is just... pointless.
Among those 800 employees none were Blizzard devs, let alone devs from the Diablo team. The blizzard employees who lost their jobs were in marketing, esports and other non-development areas.

Because devs can't just develop relationships with other areas at the workplace, right? You know they're people too and not soulless robots, right?

Besides, the way development has worked on Blizzard previously had none of this save every penny approach, and not obsessively focusing on cost saving didn't prevent Blizzard from becoming one of the most beloved and most successful development studios in the world, especially prior to their merger with Activision. You really need to have your head stuck way too deep up your backside if you actually believe this isn't bound to have an impact in the work they put out.
Looking at Activision's statement, it doesn't just read like some generic disclaimer to remind investors there are no guarantees in business. It's worded a little differently than you'd expect from your run-of-the mill lifeless PR statement.

It actually reads like they're just now realizing that ripping the livelihoods from 800 people is going to negatively impact people the people who were spared. Who'd have thunk?

We all lack self awareness every now and again, but Activision is putting on a clinic with how oblivious they are to their investors, their consumers, and worst of all, their own employees.

I liked it better when I envied people working at Blizzard. My heart goes out to the people stuck there. It cannot be a fun time.
Every single one of us knew that morale would tank after that, that's no big surprise. What the big surprise is Activi$ion Blizzard actually acknowledging it and saying something about it.

"Further, there can be no assurance that our business will be more efficient or effective than prior to implementation of the plan, or that additional restructuring plans will not be required or implemented in the future. The implementation of this restructuring plan may also be costly and disruptive to our business or have other negative consequences, such as attrition beyond our planned reduction in workforce or negative impacts on employee morale and productivity, or on our ability to attract and retain highly skilled employees. Any of these consequences could negatively impact our business."

Rev the doomsday engines once again.

Source-
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/01/activision-blizzard-aware-800-job-cuts-could-negatively-affect-business
If you can tell the future, your skills are wasted on Blizzard games.
03/04/2019 04:44 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

Because devs can't just develop relationships with other areas at the workplace, right? You know they're people too and not soulless robots, right?

Besides, the way development has worked on Blizzard previously had none of this save every penny approach, and not obsessively focusing on cost saving didn't prevent Blizzard from becoming one of the most beloved and most successful development studios in the world, especially prior to their merger with Activision. You really need to have your head stuck way too deep up your backside if you actually believe this isn't bound to have an impact in the work they put out.

People fail to realize that the fact Blizzard was left relatively untouched by the cuts is a vote of confidence from Activision Blizzard... not only did they avoided laying off developers, but they will finance 20% more hirings in development areas.

As I said, maybe a few devs lost a friend or two... it could make them angry or sad for little while, but then they go back to work and realize their team is still the same... they realize the work they are doing was deemed valuable.
03/04/2019 11:18 AMPosted by Imperius
People fail to realize that the fact Blizzard was left relatively untouched by the cuts is a vote of confidence from Activision Blizzard... not only did they avoided laying off developers, but they will finance 20% more hirings in development areas.

As I said, maybe a few devs lost a friend or two... it could make them angry or sad for little while, but then they go back to work and realize their team is still the same... they realize the work they are doing was deemed valuable.

You obviously have never worked for a big company. Layoffs aren't discriminatory. They don't just layoff the bad employees, many, many good ones go away too. The ones that are left are forced to pick up the slack and much more tasks than the need to. Even if one area of the company isn't hit, morale goes down everywhere, because they know the next round could be them. Every time I have seen this situation, employees tend to work harder on their resumes than their current job.

As for all the new Blizzard hirings, there is no guarantee they will be getting quality employees. Blizzard already has a recent reputation for paying below industry standard. Now they are showing a trend of laying off employees. If you are a talented individual, would you being jumping at the chance to work for a company who will pay you less and probably lay you off after the work is done?