Pain Enhancer Lag?

General Discussion
I had not heard of this before today, but while in a public 100+ gr, I was told it was the cause of the game lag. Please devs, if this is so could you kindly post something about it, like if it's actually true (I read a few posts of it happening to others) and if there is a timeline or plan even to fix this issue.

In the meantime, my DH uses gogok, pain enhancer and bane of the trapped. So, I'm seeking opinions about a good replacement stone, considering bane of stricken or taeguk... comments or suggestions are welcome, thx. I have a custom build based on the popular shadow build, with attack speed and dmg being primary.

Edit note: I don't see lag from this in solo, just multiplayer.

:}{:
In group you are RGK in S6 anyway, so you do not need PE at all. Replace it with Stricken and get enough attack speed everywhere for one of break points.
Thx, I was leaning towards stricken anyways.

:}{:
That Gem is a lag gem. It was causing intermittent 1-2 second game freezes on my GTX1060. I had no idea it was this gem causing it. This season I did not use PE and the freezing went away. I did not think about it until I saw a post regarding the gem and lag. I fried up non-season build with the gem and Bang, game freezing came right back. More noticeable at higher rifts.

So for non group pushes what are the priority for the gems. For HC I was considering using Eso for DEF but cant decide which gem to drop between GooGok, BotP and BotT. Need the CDR for GooGok right?
All Game skills and gems who have a dot over time causing Server lags.

but blizzard dont See the issue. They respond only the Problem is our pc or connection. Blizzard is not Fixing the issue any time
Hey all,

I want to clarify that Pain Enhancer, specifically, isn't necessarily the culprit here. However, we have identified an issue with lag that arises primarily at high Greater Rift levels (100+) in 4-man groups. While we sometimes see issues arise in other cases, these high-intensity areas are where the issue appears most reliably.

While we don’t have a current ETA, you may have seen a PTR launch this week that you’re unable to access; that’s because we’re duplicating the live environment to run some of our own tests to hone in on possible solutions. We appreciate all the reports, details, and discussions that have been arising on this issue as it’s already helped immensely in confirming some of our investigations.

Once we have an actionable fix, we’ll follow up with more information. Thanks so much for your patience and understanding while we work to improve your gameplay experience!
Thanks Nev. Pain Enhancer lag is a pain in the butt.

More blue posts = more happy customers. Keep em coming please.
I can't believe my own eyes. Blue post addressing a real problem in game.

Thank you for letting us know.

I tried GR116-117 solo in non-season with Impale DH and Pain Enhancer - no lags or freeze for me.
In season I did GR107 with S6 Impale DH with Pain enhancer and didn't have lags or freeze either. Can't go higher right now - not enough damage yet.
FWIW
I was solo using PE, GoGok, and BotT.
I ran bleed on my follower with BullKatos wedding ring and + bleed on his wep.
any GR 80 plus would invoke freezing on certain maps with good mob dens pretty consistently.
02/05/2019 04:24 PMPosted by Prology
FWIW
I was solo using PE, GoGok, and BotT.
I ran bleed on my follower with BullKatos wedding ring and + bleed on his wep.
any GR 80 plus would invoke freezing on certain maps with good mob dens pretty consistently.

What kind of maps are you getting lags on? Forrest, Battlefileds type?
I'm using BulKathos ring on follower too but no bleeding on his weapon, only CDR and attack speed.
most maps with walls and good mob density. not open maps oddly enough no matter how packed.
02/05/2019 04:35 PMPosted by Prology
most maps with walls and good mob density. not open maps oddly enough no matter how packed.

With walls you mean like Keep Depths from Act 3, Ruin of Corvus from Act 5 or Caverns and Sewers from Act 2?
I'll try them specifically when I get home this evening. It's interesting if map's environment itself plays some role in producing lags.
02/05/2019 03:57 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Hey all,

I want to clarify that Pain Enhancer, specifically, isn't necessarily the culprit here. However, we have identified an issue with lag that arises primarily at high Greater Rift levels (100+) in 4-man groups. While we sometimes see issues arise in other cases, these high-intensity areas are where the issue appears most reliably.

While we don’t have a current ETA, you may have seen a PTR launch this week that you’re unable to access; that’s because we’re duplicating the live environment to run some of our own tests to hone in on possible solutions. We appreciate all the reports, details, and discussions that have been arising on this issue as it’s already helped immensely in confirming some of our investigations.

Once we have an actionable fix, we’ll follow up with more information. Thanks so much for your patience and understanding while we work to improve your gameplay experience!

This lag has been in the game since vanilla. And the community managers and developers has been avoiding the topic since then. The server lag has been improved somewhat since you removed a lot calculations from the game but it's still here.

Give servers more processing power you won't do because it costs money and D3 is in hibernation mode. Might also not even help with more processing power.

Make the calculations (server side) more efficient you won't do because it costs money and D3 is in hibernation mode. Might also not help with problem anyway.

An easy fix that wouldn't cost much at all would be to just remove a lot of the mobs in the game. Look at early gameplay in the D3 engine and you see that the guys who built the game never intended mob desnity to be even close to these extreme levels it is now.

In vanilla you could get the server lag if you really tried. For example use a wd to train every mob in fields of misery. But apart from cheesy plays like that it pretty much never occured. Now once we got rifts etc that same server lag started to occur in every four man game. And even when pushing for solo as a barb pain enhancer or too big packs was a niche nicht. And it took freaking years before anything was done to fix it.

Not sure how this silly mob density we got now ever became a thing since the game engine wasn't meant for it in the first place. And also more mobs doesn't really improve much in the end experience. Killing a pack of ten mobs can feel just as rewarding as killing a pack of 100.

So just nerf density hard and it's fixed. It's such an easy fix. But power creep we must have, yes. Cannot have game without power creep. With no power creep we might lose people from the player base (one guy of the five still playing).

Edit: I realise my English is pretty dhit. But I don't care. Im not even from England
That's a fair point about Density and the Vanilla concepts. I doubt the developers envisioned we'd be pulling entire Rift floors at once either.
What about reducing the layers of multipliers we needed? Who came up with 5-8 layers of damage and defense multipliers that we need to dynamic cycle on a 6 year old game engine?
02/05/2019 06:15 PMPosted by strawbrrygrl
So just nerf density hard and it's fixed.
and all but 3 builds in the game (and all group metas) will be completely worthless. but sure, it's such an easy fix.
02/05/2019 06:58 PMPosted by Ryoko
So just nerf density hard and it's fixed.
and all but 3 builds in the game (and all group metas) will be completely worthless. but sure, it's such an easy fix.

3 builds? What do you base this on? I'm sure build diversity would be just as bad as it is now with lower density. Ok sure, we have we actually have four builds that we play now - impale DH, cbarb, shrine monk and zbarb - so one less, yes.

And why on earth would anyone want the group meta to stay? If I want to play tank support dps I play wow. Sadly grouping is mandatory for mainstat farming, but I wish it wasn't tbh.
Not sure how this silly mob density we got now ever became a thing since the game engine wasn't meant for it in the first place. And also more mobs doesn't really improve much in the end experience. Killing a pack of ten mobs can feel just as rewarding as killing a pack of 100.

Slaughtering scores of monsters is fun.
Playing hide and go seek with monsters is not.
I can run pain enhancer just fine in 100-105. If I was doing 110+ I would probably run Stricken or Bane of the Powerful, because I often use stricken to augment with. Since I never get into push groups and it's just sitting there waiting for me when I get a new item I want to augment lol.
02/05/2019 03:31 PMPosted by Fanatic
dot over time
Damage over Time over time?

I bet you're one of the guys that says, "ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) machine."