Pain Enhancer Lag?

General Discussion
I too am experiencing freezes and I'm playing solo. This has never happened before and I've been playing since beta. It does not happen in any other game so something has changed on Blizz's end.
Why no freezes Asia servers ? Biggg freezes EU servers (no Pain Enhancer) 70 mobs = freezes. Why ??????
Here's an example of solo WW Barb and the game issues. Really begins to show at the 5:30 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhn3aVOEs5U&t=251s
This lag issue has been around for years, even solo not just 4 man..
POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

For any1 interested in trying out this solution, read on.

Disable / leave any communities you are in currently.

I have found that being in many communites results in small lag spike ..seemingly randomly, but often after a loading screen, and somtimes persistent in town.
The more communities I was a member of the worse these freezes/lag spikes were.
I have now left all communities and no longer have any issues.

Give it a try.
02/06/2019 03:26 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
02/05/2019 04:46 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
With walls you mean like Keep Depths from Act 3, Ruin of Corvus from Act 5 or Caverns and Sewers from Act 2?
I'll try them specifically when I get home this evening. It's interesting if map's environment itself plays some role in producing lags.

I ran various GR105-109 solo in season within 3 hours yesterday in the evening. I got all type of maps in GRs including open maps with high density and some with walls and high density - as you mentioned. I had no lags and freezes using Pain Enhancer and Shadow Impale build - no lags at all.

Unexpectedly I managed to complete GR109 at paragon 880, no caldesans, leg gems BoT 106, Gogok 100, PE 71, and only 5 ancient items (weapon, ring, boots, shoulders and gloves) at 14:59.450
It was a blast :D - I did a happy dance right after that

Nice, thanks for checking. Did your follower have bleed on ring and wep?
honestly, not even sure what this disproves anyway. I can turn it on and off by equipping that gem so i'm fairly certain what my issue is (was).
02/05/2019 03:57 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Hey all,

I want to clarify that Pain Enhancer, specifically, isn't necessarily the culprit here. However, we have identified an issue with lag that arises primarily at high Greater Rift levels (100+) in 4-man groups. While we sometimes see issues arise in other cases, these high-intensity areas are where the issue appears most reliably.

While we don’t have a current ETA, you may have seen a PTR launch this week that you’re unable to access; that’s because we’re duplicating the live environment to run some of our own tests to hone in on possible solutions. We appreciate all the reports, details, and discussions that have been arising on this issue as it’s already helped immensely in confirming some of our investigations.

Once we have an actionable fix, we’ll follow up with more information. Thanks so much for your patience and understanding while we work to improve your gameplay experience!

You're alive! Hey, how about a damn response to your pinned thread already, or do you not 'hear us'?
02/07/2019 10:04 AMPosted by Prology
Nice, thanks for checking. Did your follower have bleed on ring and wep?
honestly, not even sure what this disproves anyway. I can turn it on and off by equipping that gem so i'm fairly certain what my issue is (was).

My follower has only Bul Kathos ring to kick in the second affix of Pain Enhancer. There is no bleeding property on his weapon.
I'm not trying to disprove anything you are saying. I just share my experience with using PE leg gem in GR100+ and not having lags from it.
i'm also on a intel I7 6700 CPU. The bios clocks it at 4.00 ghz. I'm also thinking that may contribute in some way.
02/08/2019 09:46 AMPosted by Prology
i'm also on a intel I7 6700 CPU. The bios clocks it at 4.00 ghz. I'm also thinking that may contribute in some way.

No the lag isn’t from pc side. The lag comes from server side where there are way too many numbers coming in. It’s been known issue with any big aoe that affects a lot of mobs and does it numerous times a second.

Doesn’t matter what monster of a pc you have. People can make it lag to a dead halt and nothing you can do about it.
This was a old school problem start with few years ago. Lag with AD and pain enhancer at higher rift with much of mob..... Aren't blizzard hire accountant in technical support?
Ever since the new patch I have had several lag spikes. They occur for no specific reason but always take 2-3 seconds that the game is completely stuck which has caused many deaths (not playing HC luckily).
It doesn't seem like it's my pc having issues but more likely coming from the game/servers.
Nothing has changed to my pc hardware or settings and I have NEVER had any lag before on Diablo 3.

Just wanted to add this to the thread.
02/08/2019 10:03 AMPosted by Dmoney
02/08/2019 09:46 AMPosted by Prology

No the lag isn’t from pc side. The lag comes from server side where there are way too many numbers coming in. It’s been known issue with any big aoe that affects a lot of mobs and does it numerous times a second.

Doesn’t matter what monster of a pc you have. People can make it lag to a dead halt and nothing you can do about it.

Too many numbers coming in where? In terms of processing power, the D3 damage calculations are trivial.
02/09/2019 08:21 AMPosted by apl
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Too many numbers coming in where? In terms of processing power, the D3 damage calculations are trivial.

There are too many ways to write the code of trivial calculations to bring to the knees any CPU. Unintentionally. If you need to repeat something multiple times and over the time this something will grow more and more complex then at some moment you will run out of resources to do this once upon a time very trivial calculation.
One physical multi CPU multi core server handles multiple game sessions at the same time. If each individual game session starts to consume significant processing resources to do its own calculations then the rest game sessions on the same server will suffer from lacking of available processing power and you get lags and freezes on your client where D3 game engine does nothing but simple rendering of the results of all this calculations performed on the server.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

There are too many ways to write the code of trivial calculations to bring to the knees any CPU. Unintentionally. If you need to repeat something multiple times and over the time this something will grow more and more complex then at some moment you will run out of resources to do this once upon a time very trivial calculation.
One physical multi CPU multi core server handles multiple game sessions at the same time. If each individual game session starts to consume significant processing resources to do its own calculations then the rest game sessions on the same server will suffer from lacking of available processing power and you get lags and freezes on your client where D3 game engine does nothing but simple rendering of the results of all this calculations performed on the server.

The code would have to be monumentally bad to bring a modern CPU to its knees by damage calculations alone. Mutexing is a much more likely culprit. Even if you have 100 mobs, each taking damage 30 times per second, each damage tick requiring 30 calculations (overestimating here to make a point), that's only 90k calculations per second. Round that up to 100k. A single Xeon core does what, 1GFLOPS on a bad day? That's 10,000x the required amount.

Why does it only affect the games with large numbers of mobs? If it was just about running out of GFLOPS, surely all sessions running in that server would be affected?
02/10/2019 11:31 AMPosted by apl
The code would have to be monumentally bad to bring a modern CPU to its knees by damage calculations alone. Mutexing is a much more likely culprit. Even if you have 100 mobs, each taking damage 30 times per second, each damage tick requiring 30 calculations (overestimating here to make a point), that's only 90k calculations per second. Round that up to 100k. A single Xeon core does what, 1GFLOPS on a bad day? That's 10,000x the required amount.

Why does it only affect the games with large numbers of mobs? If it was just about running out of GFLOPS, surely all sessions running in that server would be affected?

You would be surprised if you look at how Blizz implemented some features. Like applying final blow with gazzilion of damage instead of setting mob health to zero. Using client's local time when Auction house was alive. My favorite is when goatman is drumming and you try to change act - server crashes.

About numbers and gigaflops - you know that if Blizz would be nice and add 100 (one hundred) stash tabs to every player it will require only extra 2 megabytes (mega, not giga) of storage per player. But they have a "significant technical difficulties" (c) Travis Day (or it was Wyatt Cheng?) to add extra stash space. Go figure.

But seriously - both you and me are just speculating how damage is calculated. You think it should be trivial calculations for damage and I agree with you - it should. But it seems it is not. Why - we can only guess. And it looks like Blizz is guessing with us too.
Your being generous only citing a few examples. The bug report is full of them and even get green responses saying "This is a known very old bug..etc"

Gems missing during armory swaps, Bounties that can't complete, Non HC deaths that can't revive in GR's.

Saturday my Chain of Shadows belt quit giving free vaults after firing impale. It was repeatable and broken until I restarted the game. It started happening again later that day, but only on the HC game. Non HC CoS is working great. Explain that one.

I would hate to look under the hood of that game engine lol.
02/05/2019 03:57 PMPosted by Nevalistis
I want to clarify that Pain Enhancer, specifically, isn't necessarily the culprit here. However, we have identified an issue with lag that arises primarily at high Greater Rift levels (100+) in 4-man groups. While we sometimes see issues arise in other cases, these high-intensity areas are where the issue appears most reliably.

Just a heads up for the devs . I get this lag consistently on act three floors of GR's while playing solo . It will lag out and completely freeze up in many instances and then after a few seconds it comes back up (really bad for HC players). It does suck , and at first I thought my video card was at fault , but it has nothing to do with that . A few fixes would be most desirable for sure . Thanks
Got me this weekend. 3 man GR 100 in HC. We had run 100-105s all night the night before. Started up again the next night and right after I entered the GR it started to freeze and then release. The freeze would last for 2-4 seconds and the release would maybe be a half second. I was trying to value to the door to get back out during the split second released and faught through it for a good 35 seconds and then and the final release saw that red screen.

It was indeed an Act 3 map.
02/11/2019 01:46 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
You would be surprised if you look at how Blizz implemented some features. Like applying final blow with gazzilion of damage instead of setting mob health to zero. Using client's local time when Auction house was alive. My favorite is when goatman is drumming and you try to change act - server crashes.

None of these have anything to do with damage calculations requiring several orders of magnitude more calculations than they should. They're just bugs, and they were fixed, unlike the high greater rift problem that has been there from the start.

02/11/2019 01:46 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
About numbers and gigaflops - you know that if Blizz would be nice and add 100 (one hundred) stash tabs to every player it will require only extra 2 megabytes (mega, not giga) of storage per player. But they have a "significant technical difficulties" (c) Travis Day (or it was Wyatt Cheng?) to add extra stash space. Go figure.

Yes, it's more about database design than the absolute space requirement. You think they wouldn't have optimized the code to run on least hardware possible?

Why don't other sessions lag due to running out of processing power?