Do you truly want Activison-Blizzard to fail?

Games & Technology
1 2 3 5 Next
With all of the chatter on the forum about Activision-Blizzard stocks in a free fall. Give your reason if you truly want them to fail. Do you still have hope for a D4 on PC?

Down votes for asking a simple question, at least the forum never changes.
I don't want them to fail. Unless it causes a separation of Activision and Blizzard. I want to see Blizzard back to what they used to be (Diablo, Diablo 2 days).

The focus on mobile is disappointing. The outcry and rage shows that it is universal with what those remaining of the fan base.
If they are full force abandoning their PC fan base that built them into the giant they are for quick and easy mobile trash money then their stock can free-fall all it wants. I have no problem with them making quick cash grab mobile trash, but if they are giving up on their core fan base to do it, then good riddance.
At this point many of the games we know and love are getting close to being dead anyway. Wow is stagnant, Diablo looks like its going to mobile, and starcraft who even knows. I have not played a blizzard game in months. I enjoy the forums though to see peoples thoughts.
I don't want them to fail. I do not like where they are intending to go and I have no intent to follow them. It is really nothing more than developing apathy for a development company whose old games i enjoy far more than their current offerings.

If they continue it will simply be a parting of ways that will have little to no emotional impact on either party.
I want Activision-Blizzard to fail because they are on the best way to abandon their PC fan base. I want the shareholders and upper management to realize that they made the worst decision just because of their greed.

But I feel bad for all the employees and devs and hope they will find a better job in the future.

I lost hope for Diablo 4, Warcraft 4, Starcraft 3 because all they care about is mobile games.
No, I don't want them to fail. I want them to succeed. Diablo 4 has yet to be seen, and I'm confident it is coming. It has a giant company behind it, so it has the resources and the potential to be really good. Whether or not that actually happens has yet to be seen.

I believe we were told by what's-his-name that even though they are releasing Diablo Immortal, they have not forgotten the PC audience.

It all depends on how you look at things. You know, glass-half-full vs glass-half-empty.

Maybe they took BlizzCon and Diablo Immortal fiasco seriously, and will make sure the next Diablo game will be for PC, and will make sure it's what the fans want.

There's a lot of things happening with Blizzard/Activision and it will be interesting to see the next big thing. Regardless, there are a plethora of other games on the market, and more coming out all the time. If Blizzard does fail, it will be a sad day, but will be plenty of other developers to take the lead.
02/07/2019 10:29 AMPosted by Avalon
Do you still have hope for a D4 on PC?

Three years ago, they hyped the hell out of Blizzcon, then gave us the character from the scrapped 2nd xpac as a dlc. They got hammered.

Two years ago, they said about Blizzcon, "nothing to see here, move along" which was refreshing they told us the truth, but since they had no PC content for us, they got hammered.

Last year, they ported D3 out to its 3rd console, hyped Blizzcon, then gave us some reskinned Chinese mobile trash as their big announcement. Not even a hint of anything on the PC. They got HAMMERED!

You would think if they even close to cared about PC, they would have been grinding hard to give us something to show, even some little demo to give us hope. Unfortunately, hope is forsaken in the world of Sanctuary. The evil forges are burning hot to churn out mobile trash to generate money they can stuff into their greedy pockets.

Do I have hope they will come out with a high end, polished, PC D4 in the next year or two, yes, but my head says their is a better chance that Chupacabras are real or they will find Templar treasure at the bottom of the money pit on Oak Island. Hope is hope, but until they show me something, they have nothing.
This company could have been the Amazon of the gaming world. Really creative people made some of the best games of all time while under the Blizzard umbrella. Their IP is second to none when it comes to gaming legend - Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft - these names used to inspire other game companies to great heights.

Now they linger in a finance managers Excel file, as she decides how to crank out just a littke more profit while minimizing expenses.

For those of us who were there for the launch of Warcraft 2, or Diablo, or Starcraft, it's difficult for us to see the way things have turned out. We spent hundreds of dollars supporting this amazing company who really cared about their titles. And now, well.

I think it's important to note that the industry as a whole has radically chamged in the past 15 years. Diablo 2 basically introduced the concept of expansion pack. Now, if your game doesn't have MTX or some battle royale element, your board is going to have major questions.

I wish developers would stay away from publishers and just make amazing games, but there's this notion that, even with an amazing game, if nobody knows about it, it won't matter. There's also the reality that the cost of making a great game now without it looking/playing like a lump, is a more expensive endeavor than it was just a few years ago.

I'm sad that, in this evolution, we lost out on 'what might have been'. Imagine a world where Diablo 3 shipped in 2012 to resounding acclaim as an isometric ARPG that broke a lot of rules, was dark and bloody, with a rich story and deep, well executed itemization. Imagine that they had started building Diablo 4 immediately after the launch of Diablo 4 in 2012 and it was set to launch in 2018. Imagine that (no small leap of imagining required here) that each box/key sold 20M units since they stayed true to their fanbase and the fans bought in.

Compare that to where we are now, and the fact that guys like me will never touch another Blizzard title, and only visit the forums because we feel some weird sort of Stockholm syndrome for this company.

It's disappointing and if I was at Blactivision right now I'd be polishing my resume.
For the longest time, I have wanted them to succeed and produce better quality products. Unfortunately, they have become so disconnected with the fan/player base and greed filled, that I no longer want them to succeed. Blizzard was great until Activision came in with their greed and carelessness. The only way Blizzard can be great again is to divorce that fetid turd called Activision and start again. Unfortunately there would be many legal problems and they could possibly lose the rights to their games.
No matter how hard you wish them to go away or fail, that won't happen. They're corporate giants, print money from different platforms, do charity work and have talents under their wings. Someone out there can always use such thing if they really decided to run the golden goose down into dirt.
I have been a Blizzard fanboy since I was 14, I am 30 now.
I have always been supportive of Blizzard, defended them with every breath.
My faith started trembling when I played Diablo 3, and I held my breath all the way through it and tried to enjoy it as much as possible I could not.

I started playing Diablo on PS1, then I played Multiplayer D1 on B.net this was my gateway to blizzard, D2 and Starcraft were my life, then Sc2 and D2 then.. I converted to WoW during Cata I quit in Legion came back and played BfA for one patch and left. Everything is a gold plated heap of trash now, they've lost their spirit and soul.

I uninstalled every game with battle.net launcher, I'm only here to watch them burn for betraying all PC fans the platform that made them who they are (inb4 they've been producing console games forever even before PC) I know but that's not what made them who they are.

D3 was lifted off from the dreams of hardcore D2 fans, this is proven by the launch D3 trailer where everyone was so hyped they couldn't even contain it. Then they released it and boy oh boy did the divide crack wide open. Fans felt betrayed then when they realized it wasn't even close to hitting the audience.

D2 fans blindly trusted, and got beat for it...I see Blizzard now as a sociopathic abusive significant in business form.

This has granted me an opportunity to find other games, pick up more hobbies, and you know... just do more general stuff. I'm actually kid of glad they've kicked their own door down and let some of us out to experience other things. I was solely dedicated to Blizzard and kept the Stockholm syndrome a secret through D3 hoping they would get better.

Maybe that's what they wanted all along, is to get rid of their older fan base and push this zoomer stuff. Games aren't made for the originals anymore, it's sad but true. Blizzard will never be targeting the foundation of fans that built them anymore.
People who think this company can go broke are kidding themselves...

It's one of the largest out there and it owns some of the most legendary titles ever made... The value of this company is insanely high.

People look at stock price and think that it defines the value of the company simply because they don't understand how the stock market works... They were already rich beyond measure when their stocks were worth 20$/share.
The answer to your question depends entirely on what you mean by wanting activision to fail. Do I want the current system as it exists now to burn to the ground financially? Most certainly, it's abhorrent how they've been treating us as customers. Do I want that MORE than I want Blizzard to be like it used to be? Certainly not. I don't really *want* them to fail, I just want the Blizzard games I used to be proud to support. With Blizzard's complete shut out since November, it's never going to happen so I could care less how financially well their company does. They had their chance to win me back by giving us SOMETHING, and they chose silence. So I'm done holding my breath.
02/07/2019 12:35 PMPosted by Imperius

It's one of the largest out there and it owns some of the most legendary titles ever made... The value of this company is insanely high.

People look at stock price and think that it defines the value of the company simply because they don't understand how the stock market works... They were already rich beyond measure when their stocks were worth 20$/share.

WARNING:: Do not take any word that involves stocks with this guy seriously at all.
02/07/2019 10:29 AMPosted by Avalon
With all of the chatter on the forum about Activision-Blizzard stocks in a free fall. Give your reason if you want them to fail. Do you still have hope for a D4 on PC?

Down votes for asking a simple question, at least the forum never changes.

They won't fail and the recent stock issues has relatively little to do with Immortal. The stock will rebound as the rest of the market does. When D4 is announced, it'll jump again.

That being said, Activision has a lot more to do with the falling stock than Blizzard. Notably COD sales are bad and Bungee left. Still, cheering for their downfall is just spiteful and expecting it is not grounded in reality.
t's one of the largest out there and it owns some of the most legendary titles ever made... The value of this company is insanely high.

02/07/2019 12:39 PMPosted by Exuri
02/07/2019 12:35 PMPosted by Imperius

WARNING:: Do not take any word that involves stocks with this guy seriously at all.

Only because if you take stock advice from this forum you're destined to lose money. That being said, this guy is correct. The value of the company is consistent while the speculation on the stock price is volatile due to a lot of factors, some of which don't even have anything to do with the company.
Blizz/Activison thinks they are this great giant that can just abandon the people that made them their cash. What they fail to realized that we can just as easily take our money elsewhere and congrats on your company going under.
Will I be sad to see both the Diablo and Warcraft universe die, yes. But I won't support a company that chooses corporate greed over its playerbase and good games.
There are plenty of other indie developers that have great ideas and can't get on the map due to these giants but I would rather support one of them if the game is good. After all, blizz started at one of these points too a long time ago. We've already seen it with PoE on how its grown to actually compete against diablo
I wouldn't mind if blizz/activsion was made an example of what snubbing your main playerbase that got you where you are today. Might make for better companies after the fall to see what kind of power players actually do have.

I stopped wow several years ago after nearly 10 years of being a player and was part of the HC crowd that was near the top of the boss kills groups (Top 10 in the world during sunwell days). But the game really started to go downhill after WoLK and I quit near the end of MoP as the game just lost its luster and didn't justify the subscription any more.

D3 just doesn't live up to what D2 was. Granted D2 wasn't near perfect either and some of the changes in D3 i did like. But its easy to see the polish of the game just has dulled.
02/07/2019 10:55 AMPosted by Alexismad
If they are full force abandoning their PC fan base that built them into the giant they are for quick and easy mobile trash money then their stock can free-fall all it wants. I have no problem with them making quick cash grab mobile trash, but if they are giving up on their core fan base to do it, then good riddance.

And that's the thing. There is really no sign they are abandoning pc games. It's cooked up fear and people are just jumping to the worst conclusions.

I don't want them to fail.

People leaving Blizzard games after the poor launch of d3 is one of the reasons investors lost faith in d3.

I mean I kind of makes sense. They put money into the game so that's why they didn't just end it then. But with it not looking like they would the projected player base why bother with new content.

Rage quitting Blizzard and all its games doesn't help anything.
Blizzard/Activision is a business like any other. If you dont like the way its ran you can go buy 51% of the stock then you can have your way.