Public Greater Rift system is terrible. Ideas

General Discussion
Public Greater Rift system is terrible.

The new patch changed Pub GR made the situation worse than before. Now when I enter a public GR game i can expect to wait for 5-10 minutes or more or leave the game and join another to find the same wait.

Seems that this causes a lot of in and out of game movement and stress on servers because no one sits and waits to the 2 or 3 party to finish the GR. Instead we leave in hope to find a Game that we can play immediately. My only solution has been to create new game and open it to the public GR.

Maybe matching by group meta and Paragon levels. I am not sure what the answer is but it sure sucks now.

The problem was not even addressed by this fix instead the Public GR got worse.

The problem is and was Game Match-ups. Now the problem has increased.
Meh, it doesn't bother me much. I pick through my inventory or read a novel for a few minutes until they're done. I haven't had this happen much yet either, I think twice times so far in the last couple of weeks. I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it sound.
Meh...[very relevant personnal insigths]...

Of course it's not a big deal for your 900 parangons, but some people may want to play not wasting so much time for differents reasons. If I were parangon 900 it wouldn't bother me to wait some minutes before being PL-ed or to try a 4P GR too high for the team and then leave :-\

Did you even consider some other points of view? such as: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770887034#post-12
I agree that joining a game with a grift in progress is stupid. Maybe it's because the D3 playerbase is dieing and most people can't find games if they don't join games in progress. So this is fixing that problem?

For now, I think the only way to avoid joining a game with a grift in progress would be to start your own game then open it to the public. Ofcourse, if everyone made their own game, this means nobody joins a game and you end up soloing while waiting for other players... lol
02/05/2019 02:52 PMPosted by Noonsa
Of course it's not a big deal for your 900 parangons, but some people may want to play not wasting so much time for differents reasons. If I were parangon 900 it wouldn't bother me to wait some minutes before being PL-ed or to try a 4P GR too high for the team and then leave :-\

Did you even consider some other points of view? such as: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770887034#post-12

You make assumptions, sir, without any basis in fact. I don't leech my paragons, nor do I join power level games. I join games at Torments I am capable of completing with my current gear. Considering my current loadout and gear I am still working on acquiring, I don't tend to go beyond Torment 6, despite my GR solo completion allowing me to join higher Torment games. I know walking into a Torment 10 GR game will have GR games running beyond what I'm capable, so I don't waste anyone's time and stay out for now.

I never said it wasn't an issue. I merely said I believe it's being blown out of proportions on how bad it is.

As to reading other threads on it, yes I did. They posted their opinions and experiences thus far just as I have.

If you don't want to risk wasting time when you enter a game that could, in theory, possibly have a GR in progress... create your own game then open it to the public. Or simply relax and wait a couple of minutes. Read a book, listen to a song, practice some calming breathing. Getting worked up over a 2 minute wait is not something I want to do with my happy gaming time.

You have options at your disposal. Make use of them.
Oh i do agree that I have options, but the question to raise is not "do you have options?" but how to make it enjoyable to play the game and not watch a static screen. My personal options should not be taken into account because the game is an online/multiplayer game: I do not play only for my sole interests but for all the players' interests. I may see a difference between you and me, but... i don't want to make assumptions anymore since you seem to be a good guy, and I'm not ironic there.

Consider that: most of the players do play T13, resulting all the parangons mix up. If you play T6 this won't be an issue you'll meet constantly, but it is at T13. I think that you had to consider the subject matter from the point of views of some kind of majority because your sentence " I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it sound." really sounds wrong then. No offense. In addition, the original poster for that topic is parangon 4000+.

Moreover, for my part, creating a game and opening it did not result in people joining.
Join a community, far better groups and can get groups for the levels your looking for.
02/05/2019 03:49 PMPosted by Noonsa
Moreover, for my part, creating a game and opening it did not result in people joining

And if they were to remove the you waiting around for a GR to finish, you won't be able to join the game fast enough in the half second it takes for the players to close 1 GR and open the next and even if you did manage to join they will kick you because they have to wait around for you to join
I feel like it's up to the players to not start GRs with only three people. Am I right?
I feel like this situation would be easy to fix, but there's a lack of interest in significantly modifying a key feature of the game.
yes, restrict them to clan-based gameplay
-hard to toy with clanmembers...
I think the change was a good one, games that would have previously been locked out from joining, are now available to join. This is good because the population of public games in D3 isn't that many at any given time...sometimes there would be literally no public games to join pre-patch. Now there's at least some, even if they're already in a GR.

If you are really complaining about having to wait 2-3 minutes, I'm sure you can reroll some gear? Alt+Tab and go somewhere online? Respond to a message on your phone? Get a drink? Literally anything? It's such a non-issue. If you really are butthurt over it, then make your own game and open it to the public.
Remember when you could actually name your games to incite people with similar goals as yours to group up with you instead of just blindly pitting everyone together?

Good times.
02/06/2019 06:47 PMPosted by Griever
Remember when you could actually name your games to incite people with similar goals as yours to group up with you instead of just blindly pitting everyone together?

Good times.

That was in D1 and D2 eras ;)
02/06/2019 06:47 PMPosted by Griever

Good times.

Name servers not necessarily needed, but a plvl with highest GR cleared filter would come a long way.
Of course it's not a big deal for your 900 parangons

Why half of the time when they attempt a 'level attack' they use the word parangon? Is it another term i'm missing? Funny.
02/05/2019 08:57 PMPosted by Steve
02/05/2019 03:49 PMPosted by Noonsa
Moreover, for my part, creating a game and opening it did not result in people joining

And if they were to remove the you waiting around for a GR to finish, you won't be able to join the game fast enough in the half second it takes for the players to close 1 GR and open the next and even if you did manage to join they will kick you because they have to wait around for you to join

First of all, this has nothing to do with my saying.
Secondly, maybe it is your game experience but before this update, 99% to 100% of the players were waiting for a 4th.
I agree, the new public GR system is worse than what they had. I don't know why they don't offer bracketed GR's where, say, you can enter a public GR 70-79 for example, based on your highest solo clear. If you've cleared a 70 solo then you are eligible to enter a 70-79 group. To progress to GR 80-89 you would need to exit group, clear a solo 80 and enter a GR 80-89. This way everyone can basically agree on a difficulty level within the range (as opposed to someone selecting a GR 90 and then half the party leaves the game or asking what level the group wants and getting no response). This system would limit how much carrying/leeching occurs and not make the game overwhelming for someone who gets in at the bottom of the range and gets sucked into a game at the top of the range.
02/07/2019 12:02 PMPosted by TimeKiller2
I agree, the new public GR system is worse than what they had. I don't know why they don't offer bracketed GR's where, say, you can enter a public GR 70-79 for example, based on your highest solo clear. If you've cleared a 70 solo then you are eligible to enter a 70-79 group. To progress to GR 80-89 you would need to exit group, clear a solo 80 and enter a GR 80-89. This way everyone can basically agree on a difficulty level within the range (as opposed to someone selecting a GR 90 and then half the party leaves the game or asking what level the group wants and getting no response). This system would limit how much carrying/leeching occurs and not make the game overwhelming for someone who gets in at the bottom of the range and gets sucked into a game at the top of the range.

I agree. This would be a good quality of life for players as an "option". Call it a "Rated Greater Rift" if you want. It would help keep out the leeches and door campers.

I know the mechanics already exist in the game. People only can higher torments after completing a solo GR. Apply the same thing for people wanting to join a rated greater rift (or whatever you want to call it).
02/05/2019 03:14 PMPosted by Zeddicuus

You make assumptions, sir, without any basis in fact. I don't leech my paragons, nor do I join power level games. I join games at Torments I am capable of completing with my current gear. Considering my current loadout and gear I am still working on acquiring, I don't tend to go beyond Torment 6, despite my GR solo completion allowing me to join higher Torment games. I know walking into a Torment 10 GR game will have GR games running beyond what I'm capable, so I don't waste anyone's time and stay out for now.

I never said it wasn't an issue. I merely said I believe it's being blown out of proportions on how bad it is.

As to reading other threads on it, yes I did. They posted their opinions and experiences thus far just as I have.

If you don't want to risk wasting time when you enter a game that could, in theory, possibly have a GR in progress... create your own game then open it to the public. Or simply relax and wait a couple of minutes. Read a book, listen to a song, practice some calming breathing. Getting worked up over a 2 minute wait is not something I want to do with my happy gaming time.

You have options at your disposal. Make use of them.

Here is your problem. Most people play at T13 not T1 so you are not at all representative of the player base. Yet you are claiming to be representative in your response that it is not a problem for a player like you.

Yet you represent around 1% at most who play at T1.