How do you get anything good to get ahead?

General Discussion
There seems to be such a wide range in the good stats now that if you are a casual non-cheating person, that you really get frustrated fast in this game. I just spent over a week collecting souls and doing bounties and rolled over 50 to get pretty much nothing. I got three ancients and they were worse than the regular item I have or the ancient I was trying to get better. To spend that amount of time and get no further ahead is really frustrating especially when you look at the leaderboards and see that the person in the 1000th place has better than you have. So my question is how do they do it? What is the secret? I refuse to cheat to get ahead. But it seems to me that the game is designed so that cheaters have the best chance to get ahead.
I myself struggle to get to the high rifts, but still I might help you.

The normal progression looks something like that:
1) Get to level 70
- chain killing streaks give lots of exp so crowded areas are great for it
- at some lvl rifts help you improve your gear so you do not have to forge everything
- at lvl 40-45 you can craft lvl 70 weapsons with -lvl requirement so you get a huge dmg spike (so you can do at least t1-t3)

2) Farm the free set
- spam rifts to get better gear and lvl some unique gems
- use bounties only if you need the mats (e.g to cube or upgrade a rare to a unique which is essential in your build) rerolling seems to be too expensive early game
- use the mystic to improve your gear

3) Road to gr70
- pick your endgame build
- continue spamming rifts
- if you can do t10 you can start doing more bounties and reroll duplicate essential items, but rifts should still be better

4) Climing higher rifts
- start augmenting your items
- do even more rifts

edit:
It is important to know your build and chain abilities for more dmg. Also know how you do dmg and how you can increase it, because the numbers from the item comparision are not accurate. If you struggle with this part there is a d3 planer which helps you evaluate which item to pick
Play the game and use what's provided ,,, GR's for experience and paragon points , Gem upgrading , upgrading rares , re-forging ancient items , running regular rifts for GR Keys (you can get many good ancients in regular rifts too) . Find friends and do group play if you like playing with others .

You can't expect the game to give hand outs . You have to play it and play it and play it some more to ever gain anything . Good things will come if you play the game the way it's meant to be played . There are many ways provided to enable you to acquire good things . You got to try these things in order to ever progress .
02/23/2019 08:30 AMPosted by charliedog
There seems to be such a wide range in the good stats now that if you are a casual non-cheating person, that you really get frustrated fast in this game. I just spent over a week collecting souls and doing bounties and rolled over 50 to get pretty much nothing. I got three ancients and they were worse than the regular item I have or the ancient I was trying to get better. To spend that amount of time and get no further ahead is really frustrating especially when you look at the leaderboards and see that the person in the 1000th place has better than you have. So my question is how do they do it? What is the secret? I refuse to cheat to get ahead. But it seems to me that the game is designed so that cheaters have the best chance to get ahead.

Diablo 3 progression basically = time played. So yeah, botting is how you compete with botters.

You can have the best end game build, with the best items, all augmented and you'd still just be okay.

Basically the people in the 1,000's of paragon levels are the ones on top of the leaderboards.

Because of this dumb system, end game = stack main stat.

So if you think about it, Plvl 1,000 and Plvl 4,000, the difference is 3,000 x 5 = 15,000 main stat difference.

Welcome to end game Diablo 3. This is why so many players are getting frustrated. End game progression sucks. You either have to have been playing non stop since D3 release, or you have to bot. Or you just don't worry about being competitive and try to have fun anyway.

Actually some might say end game really = forum lurking xD
Casul skum here. Just keep playing and slaying monsters. Run rifts and greater rifts as much as possible. Spend shards when you can. Try rerolling a legendary you find if it has bad stats.

Realize that since the game was made so only a select few stats actually useful you will have to do the previLous paragraph a lot.

Cant get anything good if you dont play the game.

Play with friends using the same class as you so you can share loot drops easier. So long as you are each after different builds you should have little conflict over gear.
02/23/2019 08:30 AMPosted by charliedog
To spend that amount of time and get no further ahead is really frustrating especially when you look at the leaderboards and see that the person in the 1000th place has better than you have.

Most of your gear is exceptionally good. You should be at least hitting 110 on your wizard, higher on your demon hunter with better skill choices.

Agonize over every skill choice, every affix roll, and every action you take in each rift, and most importantly, fish like you've never fished before. I'm sure you can get on the boards with the gear you already have, it just takes serious min/maxing and patience.
02/23/2019 08:49 AMPosted by Max
at lvl 40-45 you can craft lvl 70 weapsons with -lvl requirement so you get a huge dmg spike (so you can do at least t1-t3)

Popping in to add a correction here - you cannot craft LV 70 weapons at LV 40 unless you've gotten death's breaths via one of two routes:

1) Completed the challenge rift currently available and used those death's breaths to level up your artisans past Rank 10 (Rank 11 requires death's breaths for the JC and BS).

2) You've entered Whimsydale via a Rainbow Goblin. You'll find death's breaths here in decent enough numbers since there are at least two piñatas that drop them, and the mushrooms also drop them.

Short of those two methods, you cannot craft LV 70 weapons prior to LV 61 where death's breaths begin to drop naturally. You can craft LV 60 weapons at any time once you get the blacksmith to Rank 10, providing you have enough raw materials to work with, but the odds of -X Requied Levels rolling is much lower than on the LV 70 weapon crafts due to extreme weighting of the affixes. Your best bet for getting -X Required Levels is to take a weapon with one of the CC secondaries (+X% to stun/slow/blind, etc) and rolling the other secondary to the lower level requirements affix, as keeping the CC affix on the weapon drastically narrows the number of possible affixes that can roll in the secondary slot that remains.
guessing it's a good idea to stick to torment 10-13 for a loooooong time before moving on. decent drop quantity to tweak to your desires before moving on.
02/23/2019 08:24 PMPosted by TheTias
02/23/2019 08:49 AMPosted by Max
at lvl 40-45 you can craft lvl 70 weapsons with -lvl requirement so you get a huge dmg spike (so you can do at least t1-t3)

Popping in to add a correction here - you cannot craft LV 70 weapons at LV 40 unless you've gotten death's breaths via one of two routes:

You can craft yellow items without deaths breaths, this is the method I use every season.
02/24/2019 07:18 PMPosted by DOA
You can craft yellow items without deaths breaths, this is the method I use every season.

Re-read what I posted again please. You cannot craft LV 70 yellow items until you have acquired death's breaths by the means noted because the ranks required for the artisans to craft those LV 70 items require death's breaths to purchase.

Hence, you need death's breaths to even get the artisans to Rank 12 to craft the yellows you refer to.
Yes, and you get death's breath from the challenge rift bag, it's not that hard.
02/24/2019 10:22 PMPosted by DOA
Yes, and you get death's breath from the challenge rift bag, it's not that hard.

See.

My.

First.

Post.