Diablo on GOG - everyone hype but I don't get it

General Discussion
Why separate platform instead of battle net? Why Diablo 1 owners need to pay for small patch only cuz released on other platform? Why no access to multiplayer servers just LAN?

I find it strange that newly released Blizzard game is not available in Blizzard shop (when it exists) but on some other service but there are non Blizzard games (Activision) available to buy.
Probably because the updated version doesn't support battlenet, or Blizzard doesn't want an altered version to be able to connect to battlenet. This could change in later revisions however.

They talk about using their GoG installer to keep the product up-to-date, but you can also run it offline, which is what I'm doing. I don't care about connecting it to Bnet anyway.
03/07/2019 12:12 PMPosted by DTMAce
Probably because the updated version doesn't support battlenet, or Blizzard doesn't want an altered version to be able to connect to battlenet. This could change in later revisions however.

They talk about using their GoG installer to keep the product up-to-date, but you can also run it offline, which is what I'm doing. I don't care about connecting it to Bnet anyway.
Why wouldn't it support battle net anymore lol
Use your brain.

If they change the game radically to allow it to run on modern systems and have screen support for Windows 10 etc, its also likely to have been modified enough that Blizzard is unable or unwilling to support that version. You can however run the original version as well which CAN connect to bnet if you want.

But you won't have the better graphics, etc.

Frankly, I'm not really surprised about this.
03/07/2019 12:16 PMPosted by DTMAce
Use your brain.

If they change the game radically to allow it to run on modern systems and have screen support for Windows 10 etc, its also likely to have been modified enough that Blizzard is unable or unwilling to support that version. You can however run the original version as well which CAN connect to bnet if you want.

Then why Diablo 2 and Starcraft still support battle net after the same modern patches?
03/07/2019 12:20 PMPosted by Kaelos
Use your brain.

Then why Diablo 2 and Starcraft still support battle net after the same modern patches?

They are still original versions. And those was worked on by Blizzard.
Being updated enough to run on the OS but remain relatively unchanged is one thing. I can go and download D2 right now from Bliz and install it, and it looks EXACTLY as it did 20 years ago.

But having serious coding rework to support newer hardware, video, screen types, etc is another thing, not to mention the updating being done by someone other than Blizzard. Its like using the hacked offline console versions of D3 and wanting to know why those can't connect. Why? Because they are radically different and kept off the official servers.

Anyway. I think I have explained it enough.
Gog = DRM free.

That is everything that you need.

Also, if D1 is on Battle.net, bliz needs to give "support", if is on gog, is a job for another company

The better graphics (HD) you can have with Belzebub mod - however the antialiasing option of the new GOG version will be missing.
This is going to probably be a really dumb question but....

What the hell is a GOG?
Wtf ? Never been to Gog.com ? They sell classic and new games but digital rights management free, means you can install and play, no futuristic copy protection systems that slow down games whatsoever. Its great.
03/07/2019 12:33 PMPosted by NINEGRAVES
Wtf ? Never been to Gog.com ? They sell classic and new games but digital rights management free, means you can install and play, no futuristic copy protection systems that slow down games whatsoever. Its great.

To be honest, it's not a real wonder that I wouldn't know. Many folks wouldn't consider me a real gamer since the only games I've played on computer or otherwise has been the Diablo series. Every one of them either bought individually or through a battle chest.

I've never searched for nor wanted to play anything else. I'm serious. No other game but Diablo. None whatsoever.

So whenever I wanted to either run a game or buy one, I've only either had to go to a brick and mortar store or through Blizzard. With that being case, why would I go elsewhere looking for a game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that Diablo 1 is available for modern PC's. That's cool as hell. But since I never had to go elsewhere for the game. It is reflection of me, however, that I don't know where to find other games.
Ok being focused to just one game is indeed rare these days - but nothing wrong with that. The diablo franchise as a whole is also my highest point of interest of all games when it comes to changes / announcements or even bad times - this game has sooo much potential and i dont lose hope that one day blizz is going to see and use it. Thumbs up.
@OP: Nothing to be hyped about. D1 time has long ago passed.
Honestly sorry but I'm still not convinced about why not release a Blizzard game on Blizzard platform instead of some separate other company service. Many players wanted those classics to appear on Battle.net launcher.

Also I've been using glidewrapper for Diablo 2 which supports high desktop resolutions, makes graphics look a lot better, works just great on Windows 10 and no problems connecting to battle.net.
This is ActiBlizz not Blizzard. Blizzard died many moons ago.
Remastering these titles is a dream at beast. Blizzard has no fresh ideas anymore and with Activision at the helm there are not going to be any new ones any time soon.
Company is now a complete joke of its former self

except:

The original Diablor is available now via digital distribution for the first time ever on GOG.COM. Players looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard's Battle.net (trademark R) online-gaming service.

except:

[quote]The original Diablor is available now via digital distribution for the first time ever on GOG.COM. Players looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard's Battle.net (trademark R) online-gaming service.

You missunderstand, you can run the game on either it's updated form or it's non updated form, the updated is supported by GoG and runs well on modern system but has no MP outside LAN or P2P, the non updated client will connect through B.net but it's not modified to work on moderm systems so it might not even launch properly on your system or will behave oddly.
no matter, i wont play it.
I fired up D2 last year and after playing D3 I can't go backwards.

D1 or D2 with 3's combat engine and graphics is the only way I would consider it.
03/07/2019 12:26 PMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
Gog = DRM free.

Also, if D1 is on Battle.net, bliz needs to give "support", if is on gog, is a job for another company

Pretty much this. GoG have a good track record when it comes to adapting old titles to newer hardware as well.
03/07/2019 06:28 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
03/07/2019 12:26 PMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
Gog = DRM free.

Pretty much this. GoG have a good track record when it comes to adapting old titles to newer hardware as well.

The first RPG of my life was Might & Magic VII. I had problems running that game on Win XP some years ago. The CD version is more easily runned on Linux towards PlayOnLinux + Wine than on win10(have dual boot), the gog version is different. I can easily run on any OS that i've tried.