How many did they layoff?

General Discussion
Is this true?

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/activision-blizzard-layoffs-1203136982/
the west had a good run. it's time for cheap, chinese mobile gaming to rise. F Blizzard
8% so around 800. Many from Community/Marketing and esports, as was predicted.

That 800 is across Blizzard, Activision, King, and MLG.

This, despite "record" profits. Just not ENOUGH to meet investor goals.

Greed. Pure greed.
02/12/2019 02:49 PMPosted by MarioDragon
F Blizzard

You mean F ATVI and the Investor focus. I hope.
02/12/2019 02:58 PMPosted by MissCheetah

F Blizzard

One in the same at this point =/

Greed. Pure greed.
F Blizzard

This is just crazy, Bobby must have done a good tap dance for the investors. If I did not have hope for more Diablo on PC, I would tell them to . . . . . . you know. Layoff 800 people so the talking heads and investors can receive even more. Man, I hate Activision, the Blizzard that I liked is dead and gone and no Necromancer can revive it.
Reading J. Allen Brack's statement, he's is the most company man I've ever seen LOL

Guy is clearly licking Kotick's boots. At least Morhaime had a spine.
02/12/2019 03:12 PMPosted by Avalon

Greed. Pure greed.

This is just crazy, Bobby must have done a good tap dance for the investors. If I did not have hope for more Diablo on PC, I would tell them to . . . . . . you know. Layoff 800 people so the talking heads and investors can receive even more. Man, I hate Activision, the Blizzard that I liked is dead and gone and no Necromancer can revive it.

Well the major IPs that you grew up with are getting more funding to hire more employees. So Warcraft and Diablo are in good shape.
I am all for capitalism, but lets be honest. 15 million dollars for the new CFO is beyond bogus.

I know this isn't exactly accurate, but just to illustrate, I am responsible for a company that did $20 million in revenue last year.

I know Acti did $260 million in Q3, but don't know what they did for the year.

For some quick math lets say they did $1 billion dollars. My company is 50 times smaller.

I make slightly under $150K per year. Based off of that number, being 50 times larger, the new CFO should make $7.5 million.

Instead he gets double that in total compensation for taking the job.

Does anything about that sound funny while they are laying off 800 employees?
seeing as this game performs poorly even on recent overpowered systems.
i'd say that sounds about right.

they stopped caring about this a long time ago ;)

hell it was performing better 5 years ago on my !@#$ty laptop.
02/12/2019 03:25 PMPosted by Optimism
Reading J. Allen Brack's statement, he's is the most company man I've ever seen LOL

Guy is clearly licking Kotick's boots. At least Morhaime had a spine.

Given how Activision Blizzard is taking a more aggressive stance on budget spendings... I can't really blame Brack for trying to play nice with the big boss.
https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-begins-massive-layoffs-1832571288

Bobby Kotick wrote: “While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn’t realize our full potential. To help us reach our full potential, we have made a number of important leadership changes. These changes should enable us to achieve the many opportunities our industry affords us, especially with our powerful owned franchises, our strong commercial capabilities, our direct digital connections to hundreds of millions of players, and our extraordinarily talented employees.”

800 of which they just sent home, the level of hypocrisy is truly amazing. Mike Morhaime must have saw this coming and was pushed out or he jumped ship.
WoW CM Ythisens was laid off ... really liked him. One of the few who regulary posted on the wow forums.
If the WoW CM got laid off, I wonder about Diablo CMs

Update: Nevalistis is safe, saw it on her site.
Keep doing these layoffs, one day, we'd be playing D4 on steam...

Greed. Pure greed.

This says it all really...

My thoughts are with the people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, just because some rich [auto-censored] want to get richer...