Why do people cheat?

General Discussion
02/12/2019 05:47 AMPosted by Orrion
Last time I checked there wasn’t an officially endorsed leaderboard for Mega Man, TMNT 3, or Contra.

Mega Man - http://megamanleaderboards.net/
TMNT 3 - https://www.speedrun.com/tmnt3
Contra - https://www.speedrun.com/contra_arcade

Check Again?
02/12/2019 06:06 AMPosted by Massaker
02/12/2019 05:47 AMPosted by Orrion
Last time I checked there wasn’t an officially endorsed leaderboard for Mega Man, TMNT 3, or Contra.

Check Again?

*sigh*

The internet didn’t exist in the early 80s when those games were released.
Why do people cheat?

Well, they either don't have the time to play so they have a bot playing for them so they could keep up with the rest or they don't really want to play the game but don't want to miss out on a season for when they do decide to invest more than an hour to play the game.

that's the way I see it. it's just life - some people will have more time to play the game than other people. you can't complain about not being able to be on the leaderboard since you can't put 9 hours a day into the game.
02/11/2019 04:16 PMPosted by charliedog
I can not believe that every time I go on public someone tells me of another cheat program.

I call BS.

Doesn't happen nearly as much as you say. Exaggerate much?
02/12/2019 06:46 AMPosted by DonMartin
02/11/2019 04:16 PMPosted by charliedog
I can not believe that every time I go on public someone tells me of another cheat program.

I call BS.

Doesn't happen nearly as much as you say. Exaggerate much?

Agree, same 3 cheats been around forever nothing new here. Just another paragon 1000 scrub thinking the 2500 paragon tryhards with 250 hours are cheating. Play better, most of the greats are 500 levels higher than the bots because 10 hours a day of 120s does far more than 24 hours of 85s.
02/12/2019 07:17 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
Play better, most of the greats are 500 levels higher than the bots because 10 hours a day of 120s does far more than 24 hours of 85s.

So, they're speed-running GR120s. Let's say they're doing them in 3 minutes and have a few minutes break each hour. So, say 18 runs an hour, for ten hours. That needs 180 GR keys. At T13, with an average of 2.25 keys per NR, that needs 80 NRs. Even if the NRs are done in 2 minutes each, that's still 2 hours 40 minutes of NRs.

They're running the bots to get the GR keys precisely so all of the player-driven time is spent running the GRs without having to spend the few hours in NRs.
Well what about the obvious? DIABLO.. the devil made them do it! And we have several.
If we could all play together nice, we wouldn't have wars. On the other hand, if you can destroy your opponent, you can have their stuff.
People will cheat for any number of reasons. As far as I'm concernered, there are no valid reasons to allow cheating in a public game, whether it has competitive aspects or not.

If cheating occurs in single player, it definitely doesn't affect any other player that isn't cheating. If you're in a game without leaderboards with your friends and they accept you're cheating and/or are cheating themselves, it doesn't negatively affect them. In these situations, cheat all you want I could care less.

Ex: Skyrim. Go ahead and use console codes.

But if a player is actively cheating in a public game, that will affect every player in that game with you, whether they are playing competitively or not. You're cheating would directly affect their gameplay, and that is not fair to them if you affect them in what they perceive as a negative fashion. You should not cheat at all in a game that has leaderboards, as that ruins the enjoyment of competition for others. In these situations, you should be banned because you're ruining the game for others for your own greedy sake.

EX: I joined a game in Payday 2. At first I thought I joined the game part way through as there was no civilians around. No bodies either, which seemed a bit odd. But body bags exist in game so I thought they were just organized. I ran to the van as I was told their almost done and stopped when I saw someone toss in hundreds of loot bags into the van. Immediately left the game as I wanted nothing to do with cheaters. Getting $100,000,000+ of ingame currency and a flood of character levelups would ruin the game for me as getting any gun and cosmetic mask I'd want to paint would become completely trivial. That's ruining my play experience, which is not right.
02/11/2019 08:23 PMPosted by Alexismad
02/11/2019 07:57 PMPosted by Headpipe
Tbh u need Zero Skill for this Game...u need no effort...free Set. Maybe cheating is the only Fun u can have in this crap Game. I would do the same if i would care about a crap Arpg like D3 but i dont do :) actually i play a good Arpg called PoE.

Ya, I am sure no one cheats in POE.

Yet u are here...
I hear people are saying that why should anyone care because cheating hurts no one. I disagree with that in that game manufacturers continue making good games only if they are making a profit. Cheaters ruin games because the word gets around and people don't buy games games full of cheaters and even if they do they quit playing the game, and never buy any upgrades. Cheaters cause a lot of time and money for manufacturers to try and catch and eliminate them. Cheaters cause extra development time on games to eliminate cheating bugs. Maybe that is why we have not seen Diablo 4 yet? Blizzard seems to not want to spend the money and time to eliminate all the cheaters. Really, I thought I would never say this, but I can not blame them. Would you as a manufacturer want to spend time and money on developing new games or trying to get rid of cheaters on existing games. I have seen cheating for longer than most reading this have been alive. As one of the oldest gamer's around, 70, I have seen how cheating has caused good gaming company's go under and then people crying that there is not many good games out there any more. Guess it will never change.
02/12/2019 07:26 AMPosted by Meteorblade
02/12/2019 07:17 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
Play better, most of the greats are 500 levels higher than the bots because 10 hours a day of 120s does far more than 24 hours of 85s.

So, they're speed-running GR120s. Let's say they're doing them in 3 minutes and have a few minutes break each hour. So, say 18 runs an hour, for ten hours. That needs 180 GR keys. At T13, with an average of 2.25 keys per NR, that needs 80 NRs. Even if the NRs are done in 2 minutes each, that's still 2 hours 40 minutes of NRs.

They're running the bots to get the GR keys precisely so all of the player-driven time is spent running the GRs without having to spend the few hours in NRs.

You know nothing about bots or the people that use them. There are atleast 20 ppl in my list that bot...what do i see all night. 2 gr 1 neph...over and over and over. They set a key limit yes...so they have some when they want to play. But ive never heard of anyone but noobs keyfarmimg on a bot, they run nephs slower than grs usually due to looting and slow builds, why on earth would you waste time botting keys at 6 mins a run when you can do them in 90 seconds yourself. This is the same reason people use a seperate account to inv main for bounty bots. It would be super inefficient to run your main account bot on bounties all night taking 12 hours to do what you can in 1. People bot 80s to 90s for easy gem ups. Thats typically what i see anyway. They farm up 10-15 ease gems, bot them up to 90s then do the rest. Is it an advantage...yes it is. But there are plenty of legit grinders out there being accused by salty players.
I used to think it was a generational thing, typically young kids like to cheat at games because simple achievements are highly tied to self esteem at that age and they haven’t yet developed a strong sense of right/wrong and how their actions impact others around them.

Funny to realize that lot of videogame cheaters are actually 30-50-something+ adults.
02/12/2019 08:43 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
There are atleast 20 ppl in my list that bot...

Is it an advantage...yes it is. But there are plenty of legit grinders out there being accused by salty players.

The simple solution is to have the hacks/bot team be more vigilant in their rule enforcement to do better for a fair playing environment for legit players.

Why do you have so many people on your list who bot? Have you thought about reporting them?

With your 2000+ paragon levels where are you on the class leaderboards? How many people above you, do you think cheat/bot?
02/11/2019 10:40 PMPosted by robavatar
Funny Guy heathpipe, if you really dislike d3 what are you doing here. Saying no skill needed you are a major noob

D3 need no skill lul this game was made for the worst players walking in this world :) casual level under 9000. If u are able to click the Mousebutton u can beat the whole Game and with the lack of Content u need like 10 Minutes to do this. Zero Skill is required :)
02/12/2019 11:32 AMPosted by MicroRNA
There are atleast 20 ppl in my list that bot...

Is it an advantage...yes it is. But there are plenty of legit grinders out there being accused by salty players.

The simple solution is to have the hacks/bot team be more vigilant in their rule enforcement to do better for a fair playing environment for legit players.

Why do you have so many people on your list who bot? Have you thought about reporting them?

With your 2000+ paragon levels where are you on the class leaderboards? How many people above you, do you think cheat/bot?

There is no report bot function, and i typically add missing 4 man roles that perform well during our runs for ease of finding them in the future. This season we are missing rgk so ive added 40-50 demon hunters many who bot all night. I personally could care less what they do. I end up purging my list at the end of the season to do it all again next season depending on if i have a solid 4 man going in or not. Im not a pro when it comes to how they work but im pretty sure bots only read data being sent to your computer. It makes it near undectable by warden and each case is handled individually by a hack team. Bots are banned but from what ive seen its only the most blatant of turds. Public bounty bots high leaderboards etc. Maybe it is costly for blizzard to upkeep so they only ban so often. The bigger issue to me is the intentional framework of the game that allows bots to function easily. These are not crazy unexpected programs. They work like other bots in functionallity and it seems blizzard invited them by making the game bot friendly. Heroes of the storm has a very difficult design which is why no bots exist for the game. Its clear they know how to do it and simply chose not to. As for leaderboards, its not really my thing, fishing makes me rage and its not a fun mechanic, i just enjoy building and augmenting off meta builds like Ulianas etc. I play a zbarb for my 4 man to do gem ups to 110ish and augment my strange builds and thats about it. Spend most of my time leveling gems and key farming really dont do anything special or effifient to land where i am. I think 2000 is easy for anyone so long as you have a team to play with consistantly.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Check Again?

*sigh*

The internet didn’t exist in the early 80s when those games were released.

Mega Man - 1987
TMNT 3 - 1992
Contra - 1987

Regardless of your definition of "early 80's" most cheat codes moved from word of mouth and were rare in the 80's. 90's changed things quite drastically with books full of them.
02/12/2019 11:48 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
There is no report bot function, and i typically add missing 4 man roles that perform well during our runs for ease of finding them in the future. This season we are missing rgk so ive added 40-50 demon hunters many who bot all night. I personally could care less what they do.
You can report bots to the hacks team. So essentially you are knowingly grouping with cheaters to further your own 4 man team. In the Olympics, a cheater causes his whole team to lose their medals. I feel bad in cases where no one knew besides the cheater, but if everyone knows that person is a cheater and doesn't care, I have no pity. I guess I have different moral sensibilities and I do not need an "rgk"
why on earth would you waste time botting keys at 6 mins a run when you can do them in 90 seconds yourself.

If the bot runs for 14 hours a day, at six minutes per NR run, that's 140 NRs and, at 2.25 GR keys per NR at T13, that's 315 GR keys obtained whilst the player isn't there, enabling the player to do all those non-stop high-end GR runs without having to spend any time obtaining the keys.
02/12/2019 12:12 PMPosted by MicroRNA
02/12/2019 11:48 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
There is no report bot function, and i typically add missing 4 man roles that perform well during our runs for ease of finding them in the future. This season we are missing rgk so ive added 40-50 demon hunters many who bot all night. I personally could care less what they do.
You can report bots to the hacks team. So essentially you are knowingly grouping with cheaters to further your own 4 man team. In the Olympics, a cheater causes his whole team to lose their medals. I feel bad in cases where no one knew besides the cheater, but if everyone knows that person is a cheater and doesn't care, I have no pity. I guess I have different moral sensibilities and I do not need an "rgk"

If blizzard wanted cheaters reported there would be an in game option, and i wouldnt need to be told by a random player on the forums that there is a way to do it that requires me to stop playing the game and use an outside method. I never said i played with these players after the fact, i simply stated the means by which i discovered they bot. Comparing a casual game to the olympics is a stretch, im casually killing time having fun not proclaiming im the best in the world while secretly using performance enhancers.