Make crafting great again!

General Discussion
Crafting in D3 sucks. Except for 2 piece death breaths hunting set, no one really uses anything else. I did see someone crafting shoulders or cold skill axe, but that's it... From around 50+ recipes... only 2-4 are used by 1% of the players. Why?

Recipe's in cube, are not really crafting but more re-rolling. It's def improvement for before kanai cube era, but nowhere near as where it should be. Not only crafting can add so many more layers to the game, but it would also be easy to create more builds and longevity by modifying how underlying skills perform, thus creating many new possible builds.

Crafting should always be the best items in game. It's probably too late for D3, but maybe they can be used in a LON Set. Why should they be the best? Simple: it allows them to be random enough, thus create interesting builds and not have 1000's of players have same exact build with 3 things determine win = P level, Grift layout luck, and smallest of all, skill.

Crafted item should be the best in game but max to about 10%, thus allowing everything else to co-exist and very good craft = very good ancient and only the best craft should surpass ancients/primals.

Crafting should be relatively cheap to do but also hard to roll well. Kinda like D2, don't split into primary and 2ndary stats. Leave it all primary, thus increasing random pool, which makes it hard to roll but also creates potential for a great roll.

What do add to make crafting worth it? It should have it's own pool of affixes but also borrow from current red stats on ancients but allow that to be cross-characters. For example - YC has 50% MS cost reduction. Why not use 50% and attach it to some random skill in that class? Or maybe random skill currently being used by that build? Or, maybe add gem effects to random pool (within reason). They can never be modified and always roll with socket where possible.

Main goal is to create very diverse yet interesting items that can and should be the best in game. This would only not only loosen dependency on sets (while not rule them out) but also create builds with skills no one can imagine being viable right now. Also, it will make people roll 100's of not 1000's items per char, thus using materials, gems, and gold, thus player more rifts.

I realize my ideas are bare bones and not defined enough or nowhere near balanced, but that's the point of this post.

Oh ya, they should ALWAYS be traded.
02/18/2019 08:32 PMPosted by javazon
Crafting in D3 sucks.
inb4 epic downvotes from vile community. same as this reply. LMAO
Crafting should always be the best items in game.

Not really but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd prefer crafted items to stay as a step stone for better items to fill the power gaps for undergeared characters. Alas, there's no reason for players to slow down and enjoy leveling up slowly in the game to get that feeling. In no way game shows you to knock on the door of Blacksmith or Jewelcrafter to get your gear. At lvl70, Kanai's Cube replaces both fellows for achieving endgame gear.
Crafted items also can serve as disposable gear for Brawl or a PvP scene as well. Thinking of power gap being immeasurable between players right now.

Either wise, crafted items must be addressed and they have to rely less on "6 random affix" everywhere.
02/18/2019 09:44 PMPosted by naksiloth

Not really but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd prefer crafted items to stay as a step stone for better items to fill the power gaps for undergeared characters. Alas, there's no reason for players to slow down and enjoy leveling up slowly in the game to get that feeling. In no way game shows you to knock on the door of Blacksmith or Jewelcrafter to get your gear. At lvl70, Kanai's Cube replaces both fellows for achieving endgame gear.
Crafted items also can serve as disposable gear for Brawl or a PvP scene as well. Thinking of power gap being immeasurable between players right now.

Either wise, crafted items must be addressed and they have to rely less on "6 random affix" everywhere.

I want to bring back some sense of usefulness of being in clans and havr friends list and obviously trading forum...
Crafting in D3 sucks. Except for 2 piece death breaths hunting set, no one really uses anything else. I did see someone crafting shoulders or cold skill axe, but that's it... From around 50+ recipes... only 2-4 are used by 1% of the players. Why?

Part 1 is Because the people in charge of the creative direction of Diablo 3, should have been fired many many years ago, because it is blindingly clear they are not able to or willing to do the job.

Part 2 is because the game was engineered for players who are too stupid and uninterested to understand what crafting COULD have possibly been, it has attracted a giant mass of players who think this aspect of the game is just fine.
Instead they rode the coat tales of the franchise into the sunset.

Crafting could have been infinitely more interesting and integral. but the staggering majority of the inept player base instead of critiquing the game, defend and celebrate it and the many parts of it...and so it has no reason to become any better....
Wouldn't something have had to be great once to be great again?

PS.

Disliked for triggering me with trumpzo meme.
Yeah, I am sure they will get the college interns working on it.

It took them an entire year just to adjust a few set numbers.

Come back in 2025 and maybe something will show up.

Not necessarily, but I do agree that it should definitely be better than what it currently is.
Make every legendary usable and not an autosalvage thing. I wish for more things in D3 as well. A beginner storyline for each class.. Bigger game with more to do than to run the same things.
I think it ended up with an idea, crafting things was a thing and never taken into more consideration.
As you wrote, I think it's too late for D3, so hopefully if a D4 comes, it would be better
My idea of a good crafting system would work like this.

White item base would be required. Other salvaged white items "reusable parts" would also be needed. This would be enough to essentially "gamble" a totally random item, might have 1-6 affixes with each additional affix being more rare. Guaranteed 1 affix but 50% chance of additional affix. That would be 25% of three affixes and 12.5% chance of four and 6.75% chance of five and 3.325% chance of six affixes.

From blue or yellow items, you would be able to salvage/disenchant the item affixes into "essence of [suffix]" or "[prefix] essence". This can be added into the crafting recipe to guarantee that particular affix shows up. EG, five essences of slaughter will guarantee the "of slaughter" suffix on the crafted item. If that affix has a range between 10%-20%, then anything in that range can roll. Lets say you collect many more essences of slaughter - you can use 25 essences to guarantee a roll of 20%.

Additionally, you can find recipes for "item sets" and some individual items that can only be crafted. This is an expanded version of D2 crafting. You find the recipe and it calls for a specific gem type or legendary item or runestone, and grants a particular stat that may or may not be typically found on such item slots. All the crafting of the previous section still applies.

Adding essences, or using a special recipe increases the gold and reusable parts required for crafting. This system is great because it allows for all types of crafting. You can craft cheaply to help fill in gaps during leveling. You can bulk craft special items ala D2 that can be really good or sub-par. At the same time, with high gold and material cost and plenty of time seeking out all the appropriate essences, you could craft a near perfect item.

You may limit the amount of essences total so that you cannot craft guaranteeing the maximum value of all six affixes, you may guarantee three max affixes and hope to roll three other good ones at good value. Maybe you want to invest exponentially more time and guarantee two max affixes and three more at some value.

Another thing about it, it keeps all item types valuable. You are looking for the best white item base, salvaging the sub par ones. You are looking for the desired affixes on magic and rare items - if the others aren't good enough to make that item usable, it can be disenchanted for the essence to use in crafting.
First, crafting should not be the best items in the game. Some of them, perhaps, but certainly not all of them. Grim Dawn does it right, where there’s a variety of desirable crafted gear and relics, but you also want gear from out in the world.

Second, you get -1000 points for adapting a stupid overused political slogan as your thread title.
02/19/2019 01:16 PMPosted by Orrion

Second, you get -1000 points for adapting a stupid overused political slogan as your thread title.

Here it's appropriate though :)
Crafted sets shouldn't be better than class sets, but they should most certainly be able to add to a build when a player uses both together...

1. Asheara's Vestiments--should perm all 3 followers at least (no more of that "Occasionally come to your aid" crap). It could also buff you and your followers' damage by 100% so long as one is standing during combat.
*Leg tokens for followers that are not the immortal variety should give them 90% damage reduction.

2. Demon's Hide--should reflect projectile attacks (20% chance) and give 50% chance of Area Damage on hit.

3. Aughild's--should give around 15% damage vs. elites, 15% damage reduction vs. elites, and a "Confidence" buff vs. elites--resource costs and cooldowns reduced by 10% once you engage an elite/elite pack--the effect expires after killing the elite/pack, and comes back when you engage a NEW elite/pack.

4. Cain's--should give a 30% damage bonus vs. "trash" (white) mobs, 50% magic find, 30% bonus exp%/kill (3% at level 70 though).

*The 4-piece sets especially should be better--right now, the 2-piece sets (F+R and Endless Walk give better bonuses)
02/18/2019 08:53 PMPosted by IamLegion
Crafting in D3 sucks.
inb4 epic downvotes from vile community. same as this reply. LMAO
called it! -10. you people are predictable. No wonder D3 Devs don't consider the comments in the forums. HAHAHAHA
02/19/2019 07:29 PMPosted by IamLegion
... inb4 epic downvotes from vile community. same as this reply. LMAO
called it! -10. you people are predictable. No wonder D3 Devs don't consider the comments in the forums. HAHAHAHA

Actually, the OP currently has +2 upvotes. That’s hardly epic downvotes.

You, however, kinda deserved it. Didn’t contribute anything at all.
02/19/2019 12:13 PMPosted by DonMartin
Wouldn't something have had to be great once

It was good, back at the vanilla times. What were you thinking? People looted all those godly rares? They mass crafted 100-200 to achieve them, big time.

02/19/2019 11:30 AMPosted by javazon
I want to bring back some sense of usefulness of being in clans and havr friends list and obviously trading forum...

If we're talking about crafted legendaries, actually trading them makes little to no sense to me. Just diminish the randomization effect and we'll have good competitive ground with some disposable PvP gear. If you want useful trade either you implement whole another model (with sinks preferably) to the existing system or make rare items somewhat useful.
02/19/2019 07:29 PMPosted by IamLegion
... inb4 epic downvotes from vile community. same as this reply. LMAO

Down-voted not because of the OP's question, but because you contributed nothing.
02/19/2019 12:13 PMPosted by DonMartin
Wouldn't something have had to be great once to be great again?

PS.

Disliked for triggering me with trumpzo meme.

Poor triggered victim...
Crafting should always be the best items in game. It's probably too late for D3, but maybe they can be used in a LON Set. Why should they be the best? Simple: it allows them to be random enough, thus create interesting builds and not have 1000's of players have same exact build with 3 things determine win = P level, Grift layout luck, and smallest of all, skill.

I don't think crafting should typically be the best gear you can get in an ARPG, but then again D3 isn't a typical ARPG. I mean, you can't even trade in this game, ffs!

As it currently stands crafting is the only non-RNG method of getting loot so it probably should be improved to give people something to work for so they aren't stuck pulling the slot machine lever for all eternity.
02/19/2019 11:39 AMPosted by Shurgosa
Crafting could have been infinitely more interesting and integral. but the staggering majority of the inept player base instead of critiquing the game, defend and celebrate it and the many parts of it...and so it has no reason to become any better....

I don't even think inept players know or care about crafting either. Why would they? Everything substantially more powerful is already so incredibly easy to find or get from Kadala or cube.

Let's say you're an inept player, what would you notice? Picking up relatively common green/orange beam super powerful items or crafting recipes? Do inept players even know this is a feature? Honestly, who is going to care about the crafting recipes when all the items have numbers like 50000% increased damage when used with 5 other set items?

In vanilla D3, there was more of an incentive to craft items because everything else practically didn't exist! I think I've had 2 legendaries and 1 set item total ever drop during the vanilla days.

I like some of the Warframe crafting strategies (not the time gating aspect though!)... very powerful items require some substantial amount of farming to craft (with an RNG aspect, perhaps more tame since you can sometimes strategically farm). Some even require other weapons as crafting materials! Imagine needing to use an Ancient Deathwish to make some better crafted weapon? That would be nuts! Though for the effort needed to craft some of the powerful Warframe weapons and characters (so called frames), you at least have fine-grained control over the attributes of the weapons/frames (so called mods which randomly drop like loot)... You don't need to re-roll/craft weapons like in Diablo 3 to roll good weapon attributes. I could tell you all about all the interesting similarities and differences between Diablo 3 and Warframe as well as all the good and bad aspects, but I will stop here (ironically, Warframe shares many similar problems as Diablo 3 and has a forum which voices very similar complaints as found here!)!