Why not D1 on Battle.net?

Games & Technology
Or at least on the thing people use... steam.

I just don't get it.

I mean... I literally understand why good OLD games would be chosen.

But I don't understand why blizzard would make the decision to give part of their universe to another group. This is completely contrary to many of the reasons why people love blizz so much.

Blizz is it's own universe and there is no outside influence from idiots who want to max out profits and people who want to pervert Blizz IP to make money.

Remember how pissed they got at valve over dota?

And how they don't even acknowledge the existence of Diablo: Hellfire?

All creations come from us... Blizz. Not software dudes in India who don't care, or other companies who want to make a quick buck. It's from us... Gamers who make games for gamers.

But now its like... Here you go china... make diablo 3.5... here you go GOG have the holy grail of argp classics with crappy multiplayer rather than battle.net.

It's like they said "We don't care about this nor are we willing to spend the $50 it would take to pay an employee to make it work on win 7 & 10. So here you go other developers, you do it. We're too lazy and we just want some money really quick."

That's the message this whole thing is shouting in my face.

Farming out work to other companies is a trend I'm noticing from blizz and it's very concerning.

Are they just cost cutting to the absolute max?

Is Activision slowly making them less and less relevant until they don't even have a janitor anymore?

Or is the problem that blizz just doesn't have the resources anymore?

Plus now we know what they're gonna do with War1&2.

And that's annoying too.

The end.
They aren't giving the franchise to GoG. Merely allowing them to do what they do already: Make older games available for modern systems.
GoG gives us (most) of our nostalgia. And unlike Steam, there is no DRM and never will be as it is run by CD Projekt, which despises DRM.
03/12/2019 04:14 PMPosted by Buckles

Hellfire isn't a Blizzard product. They didn't make it nor do they own rights to it. It's not even considered canon.
It's like they said "We don't care about this nor are we willing to spend the $50 it would take to pay an employee to make it work on win 7 & 10. So here you go other developers, you do it. We're too lazy and we just want some money really quick."

Another way to look at it is:

"Hey, with piracy and all, Diablo 1 doesn't require a CD key. You can literally use the same CD to install infinity copies of D1. GoG has a good user base that would rather pay for games than pirate, so we're giving that user base the option to pay for a legit copy of D1."

You could go a little farther and add "This also gives us a way to measure exactly how valuable Diablo nostalgia is. If this project makes enough money we can prove to Activision that a D2 remaster would be worthwhile."

Plus now we know what they're gonna do with War1&2.
Yes, please.

EDIT: I own the D2 battlechest, so I already have a legit copy of D1. I'm still tempted to buy the GoG version because digital is so convenient.
It is on battle.net. Last I knew, you could still log-in and create public games.
03/13/2019 03:03 AMPosted by Kirottu

Hellfire isn't a Blizzard product. They didn't make it nor do they own rights to it. It's not even considered canon.

Yep... Hellfire was made by Sierra, hence why it had no Battle.net Multiplayer (which was disheartening to every1 who wanted to play it on Bnet)
Or at least on the thing people use... steam.
Essentially, that's what they did. They just decided to go with GOG instead of Steam.

True. However, as others stated, Hellfire was not a Blizzard game. But, I just learned on the Q.T. that your Hellfire installation folder can be copied to your GOG\Diablo folder and, with a few tweaks and copied files from the GOG\Diablo\dx folder to the Hellfire folder, Hellfire runs with the same "grace" as GOG's Diablo.

Here's how (from the GOG forums): https://tinyurl.com/y56r4ebe

I couldn't use my Diablo multiplayer Character and it wouldn't let me create a new multiplayer Character. (Hellfire never really supported multiplayer anyway). But, I was able to copy, rename (to an .hsv file) and play my single-player Rogue in Hellfire. :-D

══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Edit:
Running Diablo꞉ Hellfire with GOG Help
https://youtu.be/4-Kz7Yt0T-A
They laid off too many people to work on THAT project, obviously.. Oh and by the way, they're not Blizzard anymore =]
Too much work, too little revenue generated from it. GOG has a better platform that just emulates an older computer for which these games can run from.

Also since this has a very limited online feature it isn't really needed on the Battle.net (thou it could be fun).

D2 is just a far better investment and that is what they went with, and outsourced D1 to just make it accessible.
03/12/2019 06:53 PMPosted by Sylvax
They aren't giving the franchise to GoG.
Well.. they should.