I play D2 and D3 - D2 is way better still

General Discussion
It's amazing to me that people directly compare D2 and D3 as if they were 2 games released at the same time. Of course D3 has modern technology and modern sensibilities to its benefit.

When D2 was released gaming was so different. I honestly don't think they even thought too much about "end-game" at all with D2. Sure there is a multiplayer, but primarily D2 is designed for solo player going through the story, finding items and leveling making your character gradually more powerful. It was innocent times in the late 90's when that simple experience was amazing still. And I believe that's why D2 still has great appeal, because it gets the basics right of what an arpg is about.

D3 has kind of lost its way with what is even the point of an arpg. The early leveling feels completely pointless since you hardly feel like your char is getting more powerful, you are just unlocking new skills that aren't really more powerful than the others. There's no excitement in getting legendary drops since they are raining and you get to fully gear your char in 2 days. The game just doesnt have the whole arpg experience at all and in the end (the end is after 2 days of playing) you just kind of fiddle your crafting materials to get a little boring stats increase in the same legendary or set item you already had since day 1.
What strikes me is the arrogance that surrounds the claim "D2 is better than D3" and any other subjective claims that are 100% a matter of preference.

It sounds just as selfishly arrogant as saying "Bacon pizza is better than pepperoni".

No. What you meant to say is that you prefer D2 over D3, but you saw a number of people agreeing with your preference and summarily concluded that this is an objective fact. The thousands of people playing D3 are either wrong or blind, for not seeing the obvious truth that you can see. Right?
Sausage pizza is sooo much better than bacon or pepperoni.
04/29/2019 07:01 PMPosted by Venaliter
04/15/2019 03:34 AMPosted by GribbyGrubb
Different people will like different things. Having played both for thousands of hours, I prefer D3.

If both games were released today as they are now there is no doubt in my mind that D3 would sell better, and have stronger player attachment rates. Some things are better in D2, but the genre has evolved in so many positive ways since the D2 designers made it. Cling to D2's stronger aspects if you want, but you're probably in the minority.

D2 had stronger PvP (D3's PVP is a joke.) and a better skill system. It also had ridiculous flaws like the rarity of runes/jewels and hacks.

d2 have hack is a flaw?
does all d3 player legitimately
It's still possible for D3 to have D2's content, it's up to Blizzard whether they want to implement it or not... But if they did they won't be able to control the bots and d2jsp from milking the game.
If only it didn't look & play like a pile of poo.

Dire need of a proper remaster, not that HD crap. Even in D3's current engine it would shine.
04/29/2019 07:01 PMPosted by Venaliter
04/15/2019 03:34 AMPosted by GribbyGrubb
Different people will like different things. Having played both for thousands of hours, I prefer D3.

If both games were released today as they are now there is no doubt in my mind that D3 would sell better, and have stronger player attachment rates. Some things are better in D2, but the genre has evolved in so many positive ways since the D2 designers made it. Cling to D2's stronger aspects if you want, but you're probably in the minority.

D2 had stronger PvP (D3's PVP is a joke.)

LMFAO you mean the griefers with the godly hacked items that allowed them to cross an entire map in the blink of an eye and kill everyone on sight, whether the others wanted to PvP or not?

You better stop smoking that herb....
At its best D2 pvp was such goofy fun. I think that's why it was so good. In this kind of game, no need to pretend pvp is some serious competitive sport. It's better when it's unbalanced and nuts.

Oh and D2 actually was all about teleporting. That was goofy too. And fun. Why nobody talks about D2 being basically a teleporting game where walking and running were useless. Why doesnt anyone make an RPG where all the chars teleport around without much cd as an integral part of gameplay when that clearly is more fun than running.