Is D3 a loot finding game anymore?

General Discussion
I'm not saying it is or isn't either way. I could be wrong. Just wondering.

With end game gear being about 1-7 days worth of gaming, and then 2 months or so being grinding, can we still call D3 a loot finding game?

We are given Haedrig's gift. We don't get the buzz of finding it. Most legs are just instant salvage and most we don't even look at the stats. If all the instant salvage items dropped as already salvaged, most people would hardly ever see any loot drop.

So is it really a loot finding game? Curious about what people think.
Uh.......oh boy, awkward.

You kill monsters to find loot.

Yes.
Actually, it sounds like you're saying that most items in the game should be removed. Then only set items and items with skill multipliers would drop as legendaries.

Then lower the drop rate by some factor, so that when you do get the few legendaries that remain to drop you feel super awesome about it.

But I can't tell if you're thinking that a nice drop should be Cosmic Wings rare or just perfect GR 120 map, enemy, pylon and Rift Boss rare.

Either way, it seems to be more about feeling elite when you get something that most players won't ever see.

Folks need to get that your loot hunt is already there. A perfect Primal or near perfect ancient is all ready pretty rare. There is loot progression where you start off with a basic set. And slowly that set is replaced with piece after piece as you find a upgrade. Eventually, you reach a point where two items are within .1% of each other.

At that point, the difference is so miniscule that it equates to not finding anything at all. Congrats, you just finished the loot hunt and it's all about paragon farming from here on out.

Point is, let's not pretend perfect or near perfect items rain from the sky. Maybe hundreds of useless items with orange beams attached shouldn't fall every half hour but even though it does you're still not getting perfect BiS item nearly as often.
03/17/2019 02:20 AMPosted by Steve
Most legs are just instant salvage and most we don't even look at the stats.

I found this quote somewhere that should answer your Subject lines' question.
So is it really a loot finding game? Curious about what people think.

The answer to me is NO!!! Let's start with every season. What do you do, you finish the 1st 4 chapter they give a set. The loot drops from the sky like cats & dogs. After ROS came out basically they give you everything on a silver platter.

Plus don't talk about trade too. The fanboys will tell you the loot drops rates will drop. OMG that would mean you would have to then play the game as it was made for. Killing and exploring. Not running as fast you can with loot dropping all over place.

Every season they make it easier & easier for you to get stuff. Just look at HC. I play both HC & SC. 2 seasons ago if you seen somebody over 1200 to 1500 paragon it was rare. This season I see a lot people over 1800 to 2400.

If people had to play it like it was in D1 & D2 this game might be a dead game. The more Blizzard makes it easier for them the more they love. But this is what they want. They want it where it is given to them on a silver platter and not have to work for. Not like you had before ROS and D1 & D2.
Due to the massive power creep, how you play the game is determined by single items. Lowering the drop rates to make it take 50-100 hours (or more) to find an item is a stupid idea, as people can literally spend all season without finding one.

The drop rates are fine as is. Ancients are 1 in 10, usable ancients are one in a million, and perfect primals are like literally winning the lottery. What more do you want?
I just checked and I found loot.

Most legs are just instant salvage and most we don't even look at the stats.

This is true or we would all be crying about forgotten souls never dropping.

If all the instant salvage items dropped as already salvaged, most people would hardly ever see any loot drop.

This is also true but some items have value on different builds. And then there is LoN.

With end game gear being about 1-7 days worth of gaming, and then 2 months or so being grinding, can we still call D3 a loot finding game?

End game was never intended to be loot hunting. But it still drops.
No it's not about loot.

It's about GR numbers.

This game just gives you loot and gives you all the items you need.

There's no boss farming for drops in diablo anymore.

There's actually an algorithm for gearing you up, but I'm not supposed to talk about that.
I wouldn't call it a loot finding game, more like a loot refining game. The loot is easy to get. Getting it as ancient/primal, with high and proper rolls, and then caldesaaning it, is the game. But simply finding/crafting/gambling the loot is pretty trivial now, as you say it can be done in mere hours. For myself, I have basically all the gear in ancient, but I also have all the characters, and they all have many different builds, no not all of them push the highest GR but I have fun making odd builds and seeing how well I can do with them. Or seeing how well they can speed farm lower rifts. Or seeing how well they can do this or that, no they aren't doing GR 100+ but there are always the standard meta builds to use for that anyway.

So yeah. I have all the loot, in many copies and forms, and I'm still looking for plenty of loot. Or rather not looking, but refining. :) it's sorta the same as in D2, except there the loot was much harder to come by, but trading was a thing, so it balanced out. Like, you don't want a 1 battle orders Heart of the Oak, or a low rolled Runeword or Unique in that game, you want the highest you can get and in order to reach that it takes more than just finding the loot, it's refining it.
03/17/2019 03:06 AMPosted by WittyGem
Uh.......oh boy, awkward.

You kill monsters to find loot.

Yes.
What kind of loot matters.
Reread, thanks, politely.

Diablo 2's rare chasies.
Are they different items altogether than your character already has found and/or is wearing in keywords...function and appearance?
Yes of course mom we know.

How bout D3's chasies?
They are copies of what you already used. Gross. Not new function or look. So not an entirely new item.

D3 doesn't have chase items...that are functional and different from what you already have. It has have butterfly wings...and that's it.

Quests in D3?
Forget about it..they were replaced with random rifts on repeat...minute one to season end.

Like that's how bad D3's core is.
It's exactly a simulator without a real, tangible goal.
There isn't a boss that you have to overcome to beat a non-slideable difficulty.

I mean you can look at Malthael T13 solo as "the end game" or the T13 ubers solo as "the end game"...but there isn't even a story or quests directing you through that. Since Adventure mode came along (what an absolutely terrible rehash "Adventure Mode" was)....it is Story mode entirely with everything unlocked second 1. There's no waypoints to have super keyword meaningful progression? Waypoints + Story Mode is how you have progression....not "adventure mode with all waypoints unlocked but no quests" or "Story mode with the waypoints being the exact same town with different outside areas unlocked".

Just play Story mode it has 'waypoints' in the form of the next area and quest-start unlock...
Yea...where there is significantly lowered drop rates...and not one single person in the US to play alongside? Let alone diffuculty...or build-progression as you go such as leveling up a skill...in an RPG...omg. Its "choose this next skill since leveling skills was left out so you just have to decrease in power as monsters up their power while your favorite skill can't be upgraded...and whatever unlocked may or may not be a build-improvement..."

It's so bad.
D3...really is a salvage yard of beat up automobiles...put in a pretty package with glitter and pitched as multiple projects for multiple people (which is not-transparent, it's a huge wall in disguise, It's like someone saying "I am not saying no" when they mean "no"..which is truly disrespectful given the context the big picture...D3's whole story...coming to a 2018 "multiple projects" gate...whatever the logical reason behind keeping things quiet...at what point do they value upsetting everyone so much by their insistence on "no talk till demo ready for play" philosophy. / rant sorry for harshness

Maybe "no talk till demo ready" isn't cool anymore.
Maybe you can pioneer a new way of game-development.
It's called asking a lot of people their opinion and responding.
That means valuing a lot of people's opinion and demonstrating that by responding.
Why?
Cuz you should care about catering to what your customer's want?
Instead of what you think they want w/o asking AND responding.

I think "no talk till demo ready" should be stickied on the front page.
It sums up exactly what happened to Diablo 3 and what's been keeping Blizzard from being well-received. If you don't deliver, people don't trust you know the target audience. Unless you are just banking on money because Brevik's work w his friends back in 96 2000 or so still will be the number one reason people try out D4. It's like banking a ton of money off someone who doesn't even work for Blizz anymore..hopefully that's not the case and surely can't be.

But if we mattered more than money, why aren't we responded to on the forums? We just get told walls/gates, or asked and not-followed-up with or engaged with...and this is what ppl mean when they say 'shady'. Where's the transparency? I'm pretty sure you can say "hey we can't talk about what the next game is...but we can talk about what you don't like about diablo 1,2,3 and what you do like?"

Blizzard...you can involve your diablo fans with the next diablo's development...without announcing the game you know that right?
It's done by asking us what we do and don't like about your first 3 diablos. And responding to that post, a lot. Some people buy a game if they felt catered to, such as asked before it's in beta.
I get what he's saying though. I've played in like 10 ladders of D2 and every time you go through it, it seems different. Even when you play the same characters. Sure your end game gear and goals might be the same but it's not about the destination but the journey.

This was always why I hated when they added the Haedrig's gifts. My favorite part of new seasons was always just picking up new items and jimmy rigging a build out of a bunch of loose parts. And streamlining content is always a bad idea IMO when you aren't adding content.
03/17/2019 03:23 AMPosted by Idolis
Folks need to get that your loot hunt is already there. A perfect Primal or near perfect ancient is all ready pretty rare.

Sure, but when that really rare perfect primal is only 2% better than the ancient you got in week 1, it just feels bad!
The first week or two of a season, it is definitely a loot finding game. I steadily find upgrades until I hit p800. After the first week or 2, it becomes a paragon grinding, gem leveling, and slot machine playing game with an occasional upgrade drop sprinkled in.
It's obviously a pottery simulator. Didn't notice the pottery wheel and Demi Moore as the final unlockable character?
D3 is definitely a "loot finding" game because you find loot all over the place... BAD LOOT!

However D3 is NOT a "loot HUNTING" game because you can't HUNT for stuff. You just keep pulling that slot machine lever hoping you win the jackpot.

The best term for D3? "Loot Upgrader" maybe...

You'll get the loot you want very quickly, then you'll spend eternity HOPING to UPGRADE your mandatory loot equipment with better stats.
I'm not saying it is or isn't either way. I could be wrong.

Nope, you aren't wrong. It definitely is or it isn't.
I'll have to agree with op here; you can find the most godly loot, be luckier than anyone else, but if you don't grind those paragons, you are worthless in the leaderboards.

Just a tiny bit "loot finding" early in the game, but once you are served a full set and you jump from struggling T1-T4 to speed farming T13, then it's 95% about paragons and 5% about loot.
Yes, but no. Every rare item is an instant salvage and you are handed a set that makes you OP from the start. I miss trying to find godly rares and having to really work to find a shako in the beginning of a ladder etc.

The game comes down to paragon farming. At least in D2 there wasn’t much of a difference between a level 89 and 99 character.