Holy Point Shot and RNG

General Discussion
It's not RNG when the affixes are weighted in regards to the meta that item is associated with to the point that the affixes your build need will show up less than the garbage affixes.

RNG for 10 affixes infers you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting that affix.
Blizzard RNG has the affixes weighted so that 1 in 10 is reduced to a 2% chance for the affix that benefits the meta that your character is set to.

D3 doesn't want you to be successful, it wants you to grind endlessly for their metrics.
Primals or perfect stats/rolls are not neccessary to do very well in the game. I have no impale skill on my HPS and I broke into top 100 solo DH. I also have a non-ancient DML on my UE build and that does fine too.

For the most part, playskill and knowledge of the game is what limits people.
Franky:
I like your post and agree with you that skill is more important. My point is, and the main focal point of the post, is that you SHOULD be rewarded by virtue of your grinding, skill and enjoyment of playing the Impale DH build by getting a coveted, or at the very least, a useful item for this build. This is what I would convey to the developers at Blizzard. I believe strongly this would increase the appeal of the game. It seems most of the responses are from players that get what I am saying. Thank you for your response.
Its ALL quivers "Deadmans, Bombardiers, Holy Point". If you have played a DH for any length at all you know getting an actual good one is nearly impossible and they should take off all useless skill rolls at least! Main DH btw...
My main character is the Impale DH. You just don't know how many hours and hours I have spent every season trying in every way possible to get a decent HPS. Right now I have non ancient, yet getting an ancient is very rare, and when I do get an ancient, its garbage. The same I can say with the Travelers Pledge, Elusive ring, and the CoE ring, nothing but garbage. I am sick and tired of wasting my time doing hundreds of bounties and have absolutely nothing to gain from it. I will not do anymore bounties for it is a complete waste of time. I have crafted so much gear and 95% of it is worthless. There is a fine line between grinding to get the gear that is needed to make the Impale playable and getting so frustrated that players just quit the game because Blizzard has stacked the RNG math really high against the gear.
RNG is RNG as most forum posters have posted, but that's all they seem to do, spend time on the forums contradicting facts with their fiction instead of really playing the game. Having Strafe and Fire on a HPS is a joke, should never have either of these stats on the gear. RNG in D3 is broken and needs to be corrected.
I run impale with several non ancient items, you loose Some dext right. But i think i couldnt do much levels higher with better equipment. I have normal gloves but with 7 ias 10chc 50 chd im not changing these for ancient or primal if iT misses one of these stats. And im not spending 5000 mats on a quiver
03/18/2019 05:03 PMPosted by Ashtraymaker
Franky:
I like your post and agree with you that skill is more important. My point is, and the main focal point of the post, is that you SHOULD be rewarded by virtue of your grinding, skill and enjoyment of playing the Impale DH build by getting a coveted, or at the very least, a useful item for this build. This is what I would convey to the developers at Blizzard. I believe strongly this would increase the appeal of the game. It seems most of the responses are from players that get what I am saying. Thank you for your response.

I understand your point but you're misunderstanding what the reward is, and what you consider grinding/skill.

First of all, most players have no idea of how much grinding people can do and how much skill there is to acquire. I've played 329 hours so far this season, almost all of it solo, and am at P2051. This is far below what others put in, and no, they are not all botters.

It takes 13 gear slots for a build, and I have 7 primals but only 3 have perfect stats. My Compass Rose is non-ancient and yet all 13 slots are filled with useful gear.

I fully realize that I'm not going to convince anyone in thinking they are not working enough, or that they are not entitled to what they deserve. But bottom line is that what they are coveting isn't worth much in reality and not meant for them anyways.

Perfect stats and primals seem very shiny but for experienced players, they are just a small carrot to spend time grinding, which is what Diablo 2/3 have always been about.
03/18/2019 11:55 PMPosted by robavatar
I run impale with several non ancient items, you loose Some dext right. But i think i couldnt do much levels higher with better equipment. I have normal gloves but with 7 ias 10chc 50 chd im not changing these for ancient or primal if iT misses one of these stats. And im not spending 5000 mats on a quiver

The reason to strive to get ancient or primal gear is to augment it so you can achieve higher GR's. Also, in a meta group, the Impale DH with cold is the elite and RG killer, the more dex, the more damage, and the higher the meta group can go.
03/19/2019 07:40 AMPosted by Franky
03/18/2019 05:03 PMPosted by Ashtraymaker
Franky:

I understand your point but you're misunderstanding what the reward is, and what you consider grinding/skill.

First of all, most players have no idea of how much grinding people can do and how much skill there is to acquire. I've played 329 hours so far this season, almost all of it solo, and am at P2051. This is far below what others put in, and no, they are not all botters.

It takes 13 gear slots for a build, and I have 7 primals but only 3 have perfect stats. My Compass Rose is non-ancient and yet all 13 slots are filled with useful gear.

I fully realize that I'm not going to convince anyone in thinking they are not working enough, or that they are not entitled to what they deserve. But bottom line is that what they are coveting isn't worth much in reality and not meant for them anyways.

[/quote]

Franky, I don't know about you, but I work long hours 5 to 7 days a week, have a family, and love watching my sports teams. I have no time to play hundreds and hundreds of hours and reach 2K P-L's just to get good gear. Like I stated before, the RNG is broken in D3. Only botters get the aquired gear with the correct stats on them to dominate the leaderboards.
03/19/2019 07:59 AMPosted by Knightmare65
I work long hours 5 to 7 days a week, have a family, and love watching my sports teams. I have no time to play hundreds and hundreds of hours and reach 2K P-L's

But you still have time to gear up 5 seasonal heroes in hardcore in three different classes... The Holy Point Shot you have is not garbage... and a HPS doesn't have to be ancient to be good.
03/19/2019 08:53 AMPosted by Jazz

But you still have time to gear up 5 seasonal heroes in hardcore in three different classes... The Holy Point Shot you have is not garbage... and a HPS doesn't have to be ancient to be good.

First, was sick when season started. Second, I don't work on rainy or snowy days, took advantage. Third, had a better non ancient HPS before my 1st Impale died. The ancient my toon has on now is good, but rather have Impale damage over vitality. At least I could augment it, most every other HPS I have gotten has sucked. 4th, I have good clanmates and friends where we help each other out the best we can which includes power leveling each other. I swear, every ring and amulet that is needed to do well in this game as solo or meta group has not dropped or rolled for me. It is frustrating. The RNG is broken in D3.
Having an item that isn't perfect isn't going to break you. People seem to think the only reason they aren't hitting rank 1 is paragon and primals, yet they are more than 10 GRs away from the top. Gear and paragon certainly helps, but monster's health literally triples every 7 GRs, and even with an extra 2000 paragon levels and slightly better gear, they certainly don't have triple your damage unless your character is new.
+20 Lightning/Cold
+20 IAS
+10 Crit
+15 Impale

THIS is one extremely difficult item to perfect. I myself found like 2 primal HPS, none is better than an ancient with all 4.

The agony having to salvage them..
03/18/2019 10:56 AMPosted by Agmo
I see your holy point shot and raise you a deadmans

You mean that other quiver that:

a) Does not have elemental damage on it ( -1 rng factor)
b) Always rolls with crit chance (another -1 rng factor)
c) Already has a 200% skill buff, which makes the 15% rollable (is that even a word?) primary attribute not so mandatory

A DML can be decent with vitality, or cooldown reduction, or area damage; a HPS cannot afford to waste any stats on anything other than the 4 mandatory ones (your element, crit chance, impale and 19-20% attack speed for the breakpoints)
You conveniently forgot to mention that a DML can drop without discipline..
(and only a primal has a guaranteed 200%).
I have had a hell of a time finding a Yangs with the correct stats to replace my current one:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/hero/98427597

Most don't seem to drop with the reduce resource cost (up to 50%) stat at all. And if it falls with no Discipline and has any other stat wrong or unwanted, its insta-salvage. Same goes for DML or the Cage.

Mine literally fell as a 5/1. Out of the last 20 or so Yangs I have seen, maybe only one other had 5/1 for stats? Basically most were missing the reduced resource cost stat, which is sorely needed with this build.

If its a 4/2, its garbage, plain and simple. And you can't roll the reduced resource onto the damn thing either. At least not the 50% roll.

Game on.
03/18/2019 02:11 PMPosted by Renrioku
The Compass Rose... that is all.

If all classes need a hard-to-roll item then there is balance. But DHs need the ring and a quiver.
03/20/2019 04:40 PMPosted by Chosen
c) Already has a 200% skill buff, which makes the 15% rollable (is that even a word?) primary attribute not so mandatory

This is not correct. The legendary roll of (up to) 200% is a seperate multiplier and is not additive with "regular" 15% skill damage on quiver, boots and helm. If you argue that 15% skill damage on DML is not so mandatory, than you have to argue in that way for HPS as well. Its just the same damage modifier with the same effect. ;-)

But I do agree that HPS is very hard to get in "perfect". At least CHC could be a fixed roll here. On the other side, a quiver with 2 out of skill/CHC/element and some other usefull roll like Vitality or Area Damage ist not that bad either. Especially vitality is kind of underrated for S6, especially with lower paragon (up to 1000-1500, maybe).
Travis Day thought that this was a ggos idea a solid system and thus went with it.

Funny thing is that he recently complained about the very same issue in the new FPS-grinder Anthem.

It's an issue we have tried to emphasize for the better of 3 year. Even set items that rolls skill multipliers that isn't part of the set is so stupid someone should have noticed in internal testing. It makes no sense that Shadow set can roll Multishot and Cluster Arrow damage on the boots and helm.

So there's not an improvement under way sadly.
I get that RNG is an essential part of the gameplay loop but also agree with the OPs argument that in some cases the RNG is beyond logical and actually creates situations where getting a good item is virtually impossible for 99% of players. Holy Point Shot has one function. The Condemn shield has one function. I would welcome a change that aims to narrow down the potential rolls on certain items, at least to a point where it makes logical sense. Bow skills should not be rollable on HPS.