Can we have aShield Bar?

General Discussion
Some wizard builds now are highly dependent on shielding, it would really help if we can see it in the form of a shield bar perhaps above our HP orb. Or better yet, superimpose it on our HP orb, maybe as a semi-transparent blueish hue.
It was the case over a year ago in a patch. Our shields were represented by a portion of the health orb turning white like the Barb's rage/Crusader's wrath. And it was awesome.

Yet in the next patch they removed it. To this day I still can't understand why. Not that they ever gave an explanation. It would've required them to think.
Agreed, it would be a great QoL improvement.
Accurate health/resource displays would go perfectly alongside a shield display. I mean, if 20 year old Diablo 2 could display changes to the health globe to indicate status impairments (poison primarily), surely D3 could get the same treatment.

That is, if there's anyone left at the helm to even do this.
03/12/2019 09:23 PMPosted by WittyGem
It was the case over a year ago in a patch. Our shields were represented by a portion of the health orb turning white like the Barb's rage/Crusader's wrath. And it was awesome.

Yet in the next patch they removed it. To this day I still can't understand why. Not that they ever gave an explanation. It would've required them to think.

Sooooo... why don't they just go ahead and do that again?
That would be cool. I'm like invincible and then boom, nearly dead!
I wasn't allowed to comment on this reference thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20419283388
Maybe they'll patch it in like they did the commas in the AH:

They'll give you an energy bar, and a week later remove energy shields from the game completely.
03/12/2019 09:11 PMPosted by McCloud
Some wizard builds now are highly dependent on shielding, it would really help if we can see it in the form of a shield bar perhaps above our HP orb. Or better yet, superimpose it on our HP orb, maybe as a semi-transparent blueish hue.

I asked this for years now.
I use competetive builds with shields since 2016 on my wizards, Ive kinda given up that they implement it ever. even a simple toggle on/off button so that the shield value is permenantly shown or not wouldve been extremely helpful for me already.

+1 for bringing this up again, however it's probably never gonna happen.
03/14/2019 02:17 PMPosted by Horrax
however it's probably never gonna happen.

I don't get it, why wouldn't they want to give the player this critical information? By the sounds of it they already had it in-game so they could just pop it back in. Done done and done.
03/14/2019 03:11 PMPosted by McCloud
I don't get it, why wouldn't they want to give the player this critical information? By the sounds of it they already had it in-game so they could just pop it back in. Done done and done.

They had the numeric % text on the rift progress bars visible without having to mouse over it in the RoS beta. Then they obfuscated it and made it only visible when mousing over. It's pretty clear that their intent isn't really to give players "at a glance" information, because it was in the game during beta but taken out for release.
03/14/2019 03:24 PMPosted by TheTias
03/14/2019 03:11 PMPosted by McCloud

They had the numeric % text on the rift progress bars visible without having to mouse over it in the RoS beta. Then they obfuscated it and made it only visible when mousing over. It's pretty clear that their intent isn't really to give players "at a glance" information, because it was in the game during beta but taken out for release.

I get your point but that's like comparing apples to submarines.

Really? I absolutely can't remember that at all...
Do you have a link to screenshot or a blog post were they talk about that?

I remember that PoE has such a thing, but I never knew that such a feature was once in D3...
03/12/2019 09:11 PMPosted by McCloud

It also would be great for things like Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard, St. Archew's Gage and eventually the Temporal Life from the Necromancers Trag'Oul set as well.
03/16/2019 06:51 AMPosted by clueso

Really? I absolutely can't remember that at all...
Do you have a link to screenshot or a blog post were they talk about that?

I remember that PoE has such a thing, but I never knew that such a feature was once in D3...

I can't remember if it was in a live patch or the PTR for a patch. I'm more inclined towards live patch because I rarely touch the PTR. But it definitely didn't stay long, a few weeks max. It was pretty cool while it lasted.

And no they didn't talk about it anywhere. Like I said, no explanation given whatsoever. It was there for a little bit, and then it wasn't.
In short, it's a UI update we want to revisit in the future, but it wasn't up to our quality standards. When it comes time, we want to make sure what results is smooth, easy to read, and makes sense.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/11885058605#post-6

--

5+ years later ... ~crickets~