PTR Chantodo

Wizard
1 2 3 11 Next
I can’t wait! What do they mean it ticks with AS??? An 80,000% dmg wave wat 5 AS sounds beefy. As it reads, it sounds like the damage would scale up to 400,000%.
Nice, finally Archon with Chantodo is more powerful very nice, i cant wait to play PTR...
It means we get to farm like an AoE version of impale DH now with super tank Vyr's mode. Probably just absolutely erase 100's out the gate while farming for LoN gear, can't wait!
Does it have sufficient damage to pull off high end speeds for groups early in the season? Seems like it’s about 40% higher damage than frozen orbs, but won’t proc area damage.
03/29/2019 06:20 PMPosted by aloc
Does it have sufficient damage to pull off high end speeds for groups early in the season? Seems like it’s about 40% higher damage than frozen orbs, but won’t proc area damage.

The no Area Damage is the true killer. It's one of the main problems with Archon pushing. The top 2 damage contenders (Manald Heal and Chantodo's) don't proc Area Damage. If they would just allow these 2 items to proc area damage it would help so much.

The Chantodo's buff itself is amazing. Even though I absolutely despise the stacking mechanic as I want to get back into Archon asap, not linger around waiting for 20 Chantodo's stacks. 80,000% AoE damage that now pulses faster with attack speed. Sad we didn't get this buff in s16 to use a free rorg with it.

I can't remember, does anyone remember about how long it takes to stack Chantodo's to 20? That's going to be a real kicker.
03/29/2019 06:54 PMPosted by Kindran
The no Area Damage is the true killer. It's one of the main problems with Archon pushing. The top 2 damage contenders (Manald Heal and Chantodo's) don't proc Area Damage. If they would just allow these 2 items to proc area damage it would help so much.

It wouldn't 'help' it would basically kill off any other build besides LoN Star Pact. 80,000% weapon damage, ticks scaling with AS AND Area damage? Way over the top! You mine as well just erase DMO/Firebirds/TR.

This will be a great for speed 100-110 build which we currently do not have many options. I mean actual speed..anything channeling meteors, using bubbles ect isn't really that speedy compared to other class/builds.
This is just my opinion...

While I can appreciate a suped-up Chantodo's, the documented changes are like stale bread. There are definitely good ways to improve Archon but pushing more Archon on the Wiz community after a season that had the Vyr's set as the free set seems like not the best (or smart) option. Since Chantodo is a set it will negate the season 17 themed buff. The potential optimal use will most likely come from Vyr's/Chantodo and Firebird/Chantodo combos. More Firebird? This will promote Wiz-fatigue, Archon-fatigue, and Firebird-fatigue. I'm betting we are already up to our collective chins in Tal Rasha-fatigue. Please don't monkey around with Tal's. The devs are better off adding new sets and complimentary items to the game for Wiz than screwing up Tal's.

They need to add more improvements (high quality) to those changes. There are plenty of Wands, Orbs, and Wiz hats that need some love. So many forgotten skill runes that need reworks/redesigns. How about taking off the shackles they've added to the Wiz class over the years like limiting the Mirror Image cast rate on Hydras. The above is just pulling 1 random idea for demonstration purposes. There are many other forgotten restrictions shackled to the class.
03/29/2019 06:54 PMPosted by Kindran
Even though I absolutely despise the stacking mechanic as I want to get back into Archon asap, not linger around waiting for 20 Chantodo's stacks.

This has always been why I never liked the Chant's set, so contradictory with the urge of going back into archon. They should make it 15 or even 10 stacks to reach the max buff. 20 is way too long to reach ... : /
It’s not perfect, but it’s better. The stacking mechanism needs to be gone that’s for sure.

With a blast every .67 seconds and around 4.5 aps it should take about 3.33 seconds ish, no? Could cube the spectral blade wand and get it done a bit faster, but OoiD or the furnace seem like the obvious choices.
I always feel wrong cubing the furnace. Why are they not better options for a wizard than a big mace?
Actually, the damage may be better than I thought. What’s an average stack count? 180? Archon gives another 30%. That wave comes out with a set multiplier of 23,400%. EW and other buffs scale it up further of course. Compared to Tals FO for speeds though, Chantodos Vyrs will be godly.
Hey... how many Vyrs stacks does it take to get 100% dmg reduction? 666.66666......
I honestly am pretty hyped to try this! I did not expect a set tweak like this at all. Imagining super fast spewing chant rings going everywhere at 5aps, it's going to look silly and be hella fun!
03/30/2019 11:34 AMPosted by aloc
Actually, the damage may be better than I thought. What’s an average stack count? 180? Archon gives another 30%. That wave comes out with a set multiplier of 23,400%. EW and other buffs scale it up further of course. Compared to Tals FO for speeds though, Chantodos Vyrs will be godly.

Yes sir! The only reason Vyr's is meh right now besides reverse archon is because Manald is meh. This is going to do so much more damage than Manald and not be reliant on proc. That's ultimately what is bittersweet, to make one thing relevant another has to die. Really no point at all running MH with that kind of power from Chants. Rip MH!
Personally, I'm a tad stoked for this as vyr is my favorite set. The only thing left that they could do for archon (that'd make me happy), is add a cooldown reduction effect to it (via vyr maybe).
03/30/2019 05:51 PMPosted by Oblivion
Personally, I'm a tad stoked for this as vyr is my favorite set. The only thing left that they could do for archon (that'd make me happy), is add a cooldown reduction effect to it (via vyr maybe).

Yah that's true, it's not like that would kill reverse archon, they would simply choose to not get into archon right away where as the pure archon builds can get back in right away without clutching on ORotZ and maxed CDR slots.
I'm really happy about adding the tick rate scaling with AS. Really hope they leave that. I guess Zodiac will beat out CoE for once. Aether walker in the cube can also be used to speed up movement, and also reduce the cool down faster between archon cycles. I guess it procs independent of your Aracane torrent:SD. I'm assuming Cold Vyrs will be the best.
I'm also looking forward to trying out the updated Chantodo. The set is getting a flat 4X dmg increase and up to a 5X+ increase in tick rate. Max APS should be quite easy to achieve with Vyr, Pain Enhancer, etc. Chantodos waves could tick faster than Explosive Blast with Woh. Additionally, Chantodos wave elemental type can change dynamically to sync with CoE rotation.
I'm so pleased with these changes since it will be retroactive and I already have a primal set. Looking forward to trying it on PTR.
The bug whereby Chantodos doesn't benefit from elemental damage type if it's not selected on your bar could impact the damage output of that multi-element setup with synced up CoE rotations.

We should retest it. I haven't checked since 2.6.1.

I don't think that build would outdamage a straight Cold with CoE+Zodiac+Furnace, but it may be better than a flat Cold with Karini+Zodiac+Furnace or Cold with Karini+Zodiac+OID+Strongarms.

In the least it seems worth checking / reporting on.

On a different note, I woudn't count lightning completely out of the running yet. There's still potential for a Hybrid Chantodos + MH build (w/ Starfire + Zei), or even a Double Hybrid (MH hybrid with Chantodo + Deathwish + Zodiac) to work fairly well. I say double hybrid for the latter, because it's also hybrid in the sense that it deals damage both inside and outside archon.

This type of hybrid is made possible also because of the new synergy with affixes. Attack Speed will be valuable for both Chantodos and Manald Heal, and Vyr provides a lot of it. On top of that, for the latter build mentioned, Deathwish is still a very powerful item.

Edit:

I feel conflicted. On one hand I would like Cold to make a comeback, because it is a very fun playstyle, but on the other, if the lightning hybrid is successful by any chance, it'll be one of the first truly effective hybrid builds we've been able to play in years.

Either way, it's looking good, and I'm excited that the decision was made to change Chantodos for the better.