Getting Disgusted With Greater Rifts

General Discussion
Should be able to do GR 70 6 hours into a season without trouble. If you cant, you are doing something wrong.
03/21/2019 02:03 PMPosted by Westrum
Should be able to do GR 70 6 hours into a season without trouble. If you cant, you are doing something wrong.

Unless its well after the season started, I call BS on that one. I have friends that play hundreds of hours a season and none of them have beaten GR70 within 6hours of the start of a season.

That would be a very difficult expectancy for MOST players. GR70 by the end of the first week should be completely doable by most if they play often enough or a weekend, etc.

6 hours though, BS unless that person lives and breathes D3 all day in their basement, runs 4 man parties for those 6 hours and knows EXACTLY what to do to get there. 99% of the player base doesn't or doesn't have the time for that, or care. (me for example)

To clarify, I'm calling BS on the point of someone doing something wrong to not be doing GR70 within 6 hours of starting a season. Not whether it can be done.
03/21/2019 12:45 AMPosted by Meteorblade
If you read the EU forums you'd know there's another very strong contender for this title that plays on the EU region.

I think I missed it; don't link anything though. Was it at least fun to read?

03/20/2019 07:55 PMPosted by JasoniusB
I'm actually playing two characters with complete sets. My Monk and my Necromancer.

You're fine. You just need to switch to Elective Mode for your Monk's sake, dig around the Gameplay options. Once you activated Elective Mode you should be able to place any skill from any category you wish on your action bar, pay attention to the side arrows on your skill choice window. Your Monk needs some skill tweaks here and there and some knowledge from some guides, that's all.

Your Necro looks better now. Also I suggest you to give a try to Stand Alone passive for increased armor and Kill Command skillrune of Command Skeletons (or Devour- Ruthless, use Elective Mode, do not give away important skills) to benefit better from damage mitigation. When you get your hands on a Dayntee's belt, you'll do even better I believe.
I think I missed it; don't link anything though. Was it at least fun to read?

If you like to smash your own tender bits with a hammer, then I guess it was fun to read. Both things are about equally painful.
03/20/2019 12:49 PMPosted by JasoniusB
Speed pylons, which are useless when nearly ALL the enemies are throwing elemental attacks AND control-impairing
The effect of speed pylons is to ignore CC effects, break objects, knock monsters up (lol), and increase movement and attack speed. Methinks you must not play as much as you say.
get gud
Can't tell if troll post or not. all I can say is yikes.
03/21/2019 08:31 PMPosted by Thanatos

It probably is; no one can be this bad at the game. You can clear 70 without any set items LOL
03/21/2019 08:31 PMPosted by Thanatos

maybe it's not a troll. he just didnt read the items/sets whatsoever and didnt get help from the net either.
problem is that this makes no sense to me 1000 keys, 1 year playing? impossible.

he overestimated his playtime and his actual attempts or is a troll that is for sure.

Kudos to most of the guys commenting in this thread. very kind and helpful despite being very suspicious overall.
You have two choices in D3.

1) Play enjoyable builds. This means you will only be doing low level Grifts (which are pointless anyway), and some season challenges (also pointless unless you still need something from the season rewards) will be impossible.

2) Copy the exact builds other players are using. You can do "high" level Grifts and season challenges.
03/21/2019 02:17 PMPosted by DTMAce
6 hours though, BS unless that person lives and breathes D3 all day in their basement, runs 4 man parties for those 6 hours and knows EXACTLY what to do to get there. 99% of the player base doesn't or doesn't have the time for that, or care. (me for example)

s14 I did 75 solo in Hardcore before the 5 hour mark, with a wave of light Innas build which no one was rocking at the time, but I beat softcore to their version of Lionhearted. I do play Diablo III way too much though, I wouldn't expect that as even close to a norm, but it was also before recent buffs to sets. The problem generally isn't someone can't find the damage, its that they dont know how to stay alive. Early season you don't have that paragon giving you massive armor or all res (depending on your damage type) for mitigation.

TL:DR Edited in : The following is a basic guide to completing higher tier greater rifts on a Uliannas monk, but the concepts apply for all classes.

Afterthought to edit :
This is honestly what I consider the most basic of knowledge about the game. In order to get a 70 done if thats what you're looking for if you just do half of what I'm telling you to do it will be a breeze. So you can still Play it your own way and Not play it stupid just cause its your own way, sub in a different skill or two, play a different rune than cold, youll still do 70 no problem, I cant stand how people think that its all copy paste from LBs. If "your own way" goes against the way the game maximizes damage and minimizes incoming damage, how can you possibly blame anyone but yourself, Do you also play chess and ask for another pawn when you reach the opponents border with a pawn instead of a queen? This ^^ goes for any game not Blizzard Games. Try playing Path of Exile and just toss random support gems in where they dont belong, maximize stats that dont help your build, try playing basketball without passing, its just fundamentals, you can still do the obvious things and be successful doing them your own way. I was the only person using Lightning wave of light in season 14 and I finished rank 1 world with a build that yes, used the correct six piece but used Lefebvres and Lightning (I took a build that made sense and made it work for how I wanted to play the game, using cyclone strike to create more area damage I focused on trash killing it lessened the necessity of a wide open map like festering woods or battlefields knowing that Lightning did more single target damage towards RG anyway)

Honestly you dont need to look at leaderboards, that would help Im sure, but its literally as simple as using your brain. Have you tried that? Perhaps use multipliers that increase the damage for the skills that are used in the set, use all res gems and COOLDOWN REDUCTION for something like Ulianna's.. Perhaps Bindings of the Lost because you take less than a third of the damage you would without it. Like why would you even have wave of light on a uliannas spec.

Change your generator to Way of the hundred fists Assimilation, every gen has a 3 strike combo, the third strike will give you a damage buff equal to 5% x # of mobs hit, the 2p set of Uliannas applies Exploding Palm on everything you hit, find some Gungo Gear bracers so they continue to take exploding palm damage from the 6p set igniting it every hit, or ffs at least a madstone (spirit stone), though gungo is better. NOTE YOU CAN USE 25 Death Breath + Yellow Level 70 Item + 50 of each basic mat type in recipe 3 of the cube to make a rare into a random legendary of that type if you dont have the items somehow after a year of playing. Still even without gungo a 70 should be fairly easy if you at least had the right skills on..

Drop wave of light for Epiphany Desert Shroud (this allows you to take 2x as much damage and also for its 15 second duration you are invulnerable to crowd control effects) Im gonna go ahead and skip the cyclone strike for now youre no where near ready -- just make sure that your cube's Armor slot is Spirit Guards or Gungo Gear (Madstone even) and one you wear on your wrists is the one you dont have in the cube, so you get both effects, Spirit guards active means you take 40% of the damage that you would have taken. This is also filtered through all res so for god's sake please change transcendence to Harmony or Sixth Sense, Unity to beacon of ytar because the skill is on a cooldown, gee why would I want to have to wait longer til I can attack again, CDR on shoulders and gloves and both weapons is kinda basic, but definitely in helm, the only color gem you should really ever use is Diamond for almost all monk builds, a yellow topaz would only be useful for something like Lashing tail kick where youre attackin super fast, Harmony alone will gives you all res = to 40% of all the secondary res rolls you have and you have a few, NOW After you put this on, open up your character sheet default button c, hit details, leave your mouse cursor over all res and see that % reduction to mobs at level 70 you get, thats why all res is important.

Next, there is an item called Fist of Az'sturrasq which gives Exploding Palm a 6 x multiplier, Can you at least see how this would be more useful than a thunderfury which has none of the damage buffed by sets or skill items that you are using. Get a Convention of Elements put that in the cube, if you only have enough cooldown to hit Seven Sided Strike once in a while you wanna do it when its gonna do the most damage during Cold, because you are going to change that Essence burn Exploding palm rune to Impending Doom HAVE YOU EVER HELD YOUR CURSOR OVER A SKILL AND HIT CNTRL? ffs maybe you should just make sure advanced tooltips is enabled in your options.

Next to take another twice as much damage you are goin to find a "follower cannot die token.. then you are going to place a UNITY ring not the passive, on your follower, then you will wear one, this makes it so you take 1/2 the damage you would have otherwise.. Jesus you have absolutely no damage reduction and youre wondering why you get overwhelmed by 15 mobs.. 15 mobs isnt even worthy of a set up on uliannas, you want min 30-50+ to start with more being better. so if you followed what I said you got Bindings of the Lost 5 x 14 = 70% Damage Reduction, You put on Harmony increases all res, you have spirit guards 60% damage reduction, you have Desert Shroud for tough fights like arcane elites or ones with crowd control also gives 50% Reduction, you change Mantra of Conviction to Mantra of Salvation for 20/40% all res + 35% dodge from agility rune, you drop Forbidden Palace inner sanc (although I applaud the one thought of damage reduction you had) to Blinding Speed rune of Dashing Strike, because the best damage reduction is not getting hit in the first place. This also gives 40% dodge for 4 seconds and will allow you to move seemlessly between set ups, you now have convention of elements and Impending doom on so you do 3x your 6305% weapon damage with each COLD palm explosion instead of your crap essence burn which doesnt stack so get COLD SKILL % on bracers and amulet, and Lastly change fulminating onslaught to Sustained attack because Jason attacking once every 30 seconds isnt as good as attacking once every 14 seconds especially considering that SSS is only doing damage because it activates your exploding palm skill. Also the Bindings of the lost belt lasts 7 seconds IIRC so you need to be able to SSS often enough to keep that up, but honestly you should have a minimum of 55% cooldown reduction (roll it everywhere you can except amulet) speaking of amulet, get the endless walk set.. this is so basic, The compass rose is a green set ring, that pairs with Travellers Pledge and what it does is it gives you either twice as much damage or allows you to take twice as much damage based on whether youve been moving (+damage reduction) , or standing still (Damage bonus) -

Here's the damage reductions alone you have been missing from the normal Ulianna's set up..

Unity on you and follower (follower has cannot die) 50% Damage red means you take 50% of the damage 100- 50 = 50

Bindings of the Lost 70% = 30% still taken

Spirit Guards 60% = 40% still taken

Epiphany 50% (up most of the time with over 50% cdr) = 50% still taken

Mantra of Salvation 35% dodge agility rune = 65% of attacks still hit by, some are not avoided by dodge

Blinding Speed 100% damage reduction when you jump out of the way and then when you need to get back into the mix you got 40% dodge for 4 seconds

The endless walk ring amulet set gives you 50% reduction if youre running around..

Plenty of All res, - Diamonds in Gear (just always have diamonds in gear for any class that isnt intelligence based) I cant stress this enough. You can get more main damage stat (dex,str,int) from paragon you can only get so much all res from paragon. You are passed 800 so every paragon point = 5 more main stat

So all of these damage reductions work together - in % of damage you still take while active 30% (boftLost) * 40% (Spirit guards) * 50% (unity) *50%(desert shroud epiphany) * 50% (endless walk) which is 40% of 30% is 12% 50% of 12 % is 6% 50% of that is 3% 50% of that is 1.5% and youre now only taking damage to most melee/ranged attacks 60% x 65% of the time, 39% of the time, so more than half attacks miss you and you only take 1.5% of the damage you were taking before you made these changes, (and that doesnt even include the all res damage reduction or the fact you'll be invulnerable in the air more often because of cooldown reduction since you are invulnerable during seven sided strike)

So that 1.5 % is basically saying for every 100 damage you would have been taking as your playing your character right now you take 1.5 damage -- without the all res change + avoidance you're already taking 66.666 x as much damage in your set up now as you do in the standard set up which I just laid out for you. Even if your endless walk is on damage side where it should be when you are trying to do damage that means youre still only takin 3% of the (33.33 now) that you are taking.. its gonna feel like those incoming damage strikes went from a train hitting you to a pillow *do not attempt to duplicate irl, train is way more than 66x stronger than a pillow, I was using hyperbole*

Okay now you can do a GR 90 at the very least ** dont forget gungo, you should be doing over 100 once you figure out how to maximize damage, but Dead monks do 0 damage.

Necromancer is basically a tool for getting more paragon imo, absolute trash gameplay, I am currently Rank 2 World necro in hardcore by the way. Both are good for farming, Learn how to make a Legacy of Nightmares wave of light for farming, or Singularity rift farmer.

okay just use your noggin man. Most of this stuff makes sense if you know how to do basic calculations.
Browse the forums before you post threads like this. Greater rift 70 has been a pretty standard/easy clear through multiple buff patches now. Your gear needs to be rolled right and you have to be using builds that have at least 1-3 supporting legendaries along with a 6 piece bonus. Also, you can't stand in stuff. This isn't that type of game. You actually have to move out of dangerous stuff.
03/22/2019 02:52 PMPosted by Horrax
problem is that this makes no sense to me 1000 keys, 1 year playing? impossible.

I agree. "There is no way OP ran 1000 GR's in a week, with his hero's the way they show in his online profile.

I'll bet his play time shows not even a casual player.
03/21/2019 09:34 PMPosted by SevenShadow
no one can be this bad at the game

Rest assured, there are threads on the EU forums that would change your mind.
I play daily, several hours a day, lol. I don't play seasons, though, so I've never had any need to look at the leaderboards. Speed Pylons do no good if all they do is rush you right into something that kills you with one hit before you can attack it yourself, lol.
03/21/2019 03:34 PMPosted by StoneOld
03/20/2019 12:49 PMPosted by JasoniusB
Speed pylons, which are useless when nearly ALL the enemies are throwing elemental attacks AND control-impairing
The effect of speed pylons is to ignore CC effects, break objects, knock monsters up (lol), and increase movement and attack speed. Methinks you must not play as much as you say.
Not a troll. Don't play seasons. Can't get past 67 because the damn enemies keep throwing elemental attacks at me I can't defend against or get around. Not everybody can be blessed by the RNG gods lol, or I wouldn't be in this mess. I've been playing for months on end, trying to get at least better versions of the gear I've already got, even wasted I don't know how many crafting mats trying to upgrade it, and have had no luck whatsoever getting improved gear. That's all on the programmers of this game, not my playing ability LOL.

It probably is; no one can be this bad at the game. You can clear 70 without any set items LOL[/quote]
03/23/2019 06:36 PMPosted by JasoniusB
That's all on the programmers of this game,

If you haven't learn about activating "Elective Mode" in years, I doubt programmers of this game had anything to do with it. Before you act naive and ask what that is, try a google search for yourself.

Not a troll.

May be not, but you sure appear as one as you keep nagging at it and take no action. Using google is easier than deflecting blame.
I am using Elective Mode. Have been for some time now, and playing around with the skills as some here have suggested has improved my playing experience but still not enough to beat that rift. You act as though I'm posting on here constantly with complaints when really, I'm not even a frequent visitor to the forums, lol.
03/23/2019 07:14 PMPosted by naksiloth
That's all on the programmers of this game,

If you haven't learn about activating "Elective Mode" in years, I doubt programmers of this game had anything to do with it. Before you act naive and ask what that is, try a google search for yourself.

Not a troll.

May be not, but you sure appear as one as you keep nagging at it and take no action. Using google is easier than deflecting blame.