Google Stadia and Blizzard

General Discussion
With Google announcement of a cloud based gaming platform that they are opening up to all gaming studios do you think we will ever see a Blizzard game on that platform? It would be great if I could play Diablo 3 on any device with a screen and internet connection. I know there is a lot of skepticism about lag and frame rates of cloud based computing but if anyone can figure it out I think Google can. It all sounds pretty cool to me.
Honestly, I can't stand Google, so I hope Blizzard never requires that one use the Google gaming platform in order to play any of its games.
03/19/2019 12:16 PMPosted by CrowRezin
With Google announcement of a cloud based gaming platform that they are opening up to all gaming studios do you think we will ever see a Blizzard game on that platform? It would be great if I could play Diablo 3 on any device with a screen and internet connection. I know there is a lot of skepticism about lag and frame rates of cloud based computing but if anyone can figure it out I think Google can. It all sounds pretty cool to me.

I doubt it and I don't want it. Google is extremely invasive in what types of data the collect.

With Blizzard games you can already play them from any device you want (that is supported). Put the game on an external drive and just take it with you. Plug in the drive, download or run the Desktop launcher, log in, then play.

The only trick you might need to know is that the Launcher has to be pointed to the external drive to find the game.

It makes playing take seconds. Blizz games don't actually have to be installed, just present. It is the desktop launcher that has to be installed.
Google has a tendency of over-promising and under-delivering.

I'd be surprised if Stadia is still supported or even working after a year or two at most.
Remember google+

me neither, I won't hold my breath with google gaming either.
03/19/2019 12:16 PMPosted by CrowRezin

You can already do that.
Just watched shortened videos of the Stadia presentation. While cloud gaming sounds very compelling, particularly its main selling point of being able to play on practically any device, anywhere, anytime, there are still a lot of questions and plenty of skepticism.

Google has a history of abandoning products after a few years.
Google has no footprint in gaming.
What connection do you need to be able to stream play 4k at 60 fps?
What is the business model and how much is it going to cost?

Prove to me that it works as advertised and I'll consider jumping on board.
beautiful how everyone is saying no to a "datacollector" console by google and probably wrote this with chrome while browsing the playstore for immortal on their androids.....
Unless Google also plans on upgrading all the internet infrastructure in this country, this thing is going to go nowhere and be abandoned.

Sounds great on paper, but it's a few decades too early.
03/20/2019 05:46 AMPosted by GoauldOfWar
Unless Google also plans on upgrading all the internet infrastructure in this country, this thing is going to go nowhere and be abandoned.

Sounds great on paper, but it's a few decades too early.

A lot of people will cap out their data plans with this.
It's too soon
Game streaming and device hopping is cool in theory, and maybe neat to show off, but in reality I feel like people just play their games on their preferred devices and that's it.
I don't think Blizzard will dabble in Stadia because it would be the smart choice and they didn't make many of those in the past decade and there is no implication that should change in the upcoming one. Nevertheless, I'll just put it out there. If D4 ain't on Stadia, I won't be playing it. In fact, if D3 ain't on Stadia by 2020, I won't be logging into that game anymore, either. Win7 supports ends in January and with 4K movies/TV and now games streaming too, there'll be literally no point in sticking with M$ any longer. (Hell will have frozen before I dabble in Apple!)
If Blizzard is to choose a cloud gaming platform the likely choice is Microsoft's Project xCloud partly because Blizzard games are made using DirectX whereas Stadia is, at least for now, based on Vulkan.
It might win in the longer runs where people will just sit down and game. However there's still a huge issue with controls. D3 without a mouse or joypad is a very bad feeling.

So games in that respect have to use certain controls that aren't really fully developed yet.

03/19/2019 08:29 PMPosted by Hypersonic

What connection do you need to be able to stream play 4k at 60 fps?
What is the business model and how much is it going to cost?

[/quote]
Streaming requires 1.3 MB/s for 1K. So 4K is around 6 MB/s or a 60 Mbit connection. 4G is capped at close to 75 Mbit.

However gaming at 4K is a stud, the details are too small on a fully viewable screen. It's more probable that it will close to 2K. Thus you can stream 2K at 60 frames per second with the same connection that you stream 4K at 30 frames per second.

The major issue is that put processors are getting so fast and small that it really isn't that necessary. Unless we reach the point where we actually only hold a screen.
03/19/2019 01:39 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I doubt it and I don't want it. Google is extremely invasive in what types of data the collect.

Blizzard is already partnered with Facebook - more invasive it cant get. ^^
As others have noted, the US internet infrastructure isn't ready for this, as well as things like Net Neutrality needing to be reinstated so we don't see ISPs charging an additional $10+ a month for the "Gamer Package" to accommodate this style of play.

But there's another issue as pertains to streaming services, or perhaps more accurately, hosting. Do you own what you've paid for? If you have a "One sub to access what's available" model, you run into the problem Netflix has where programs are regularly rotated in and out of circulation due to rights purchases. You could also have early access/exclusivity time delays where Stadia users could have to wait 3+ months to gain access to a Playstation title, for example, if it's ever actually put on the platform. But just as D3 users have asked what happens if the Blizz servers ever go down for go down since we don't have offline mode, what happens to all the games you've played/bought through Google if they abandon the service? It's sounding like we're SOL, is what, and gamers should really be pushing harder to have full access to things they've paid for while making it further mandatory that net-based games (console, mobile, etc.) have the entirety of their code released to the public should their service go down.

Personally, I do believe we need to get away from the whole "console identity" issue that leads to needing 3+ different platforms per generation or PC Master Race blah so devs aren't wasting money on ports and instead focusing on an individual version that anyone can access with the baseline hardware. But again, the internet isn't ready for it here and non-urban areas will not be on the same level of access. Further so when it's rare to have 2 ore more same-quality ISP options in a given area.
The future, in time everyone will have a good internet connection. The best part, same hardware. We will see, hope this will be good.
03/19/2019 02:19 PMPosted by Optimism
Google has a tendency of over-promising and under-delivering.

Sounds like a match.
"A couple weeks ago Blizzard introduced a change to their End User License Agreement (EULA) that prohibits gamers from playing Blizzard games on cloud gaming PCs. As of two days ago, they started handing down 30 day account suspensions for violating this term of the EULA."

https://blog.parsecgaming.com/blizzards-cloud-gaming-mistake-30c615b4c126

https://www.reddit.com/r/cloudygamer/comments/8zovtn/heads_up_blizzard_is_banning_cloud_gamers_30_day/

Blizzard would like to collect your data. For whatever reason. On a cloud Blizzard has no possibility to spy on you anymore. Google Stadia is not the only provider. Nvidia - Microsoft already offer Cloud VMs.