PTR Patch Notes Updated 9 April - Stash Change

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 65 Next
Infinite scaling in a RPG - makes it appear that your character is not getting more powerful, as you get better gear the mobs get better.
The players complain that when in the field the equipment in the bank was affecting the mobs they were fighting.
Then the players find the loophole and sell their gear to the merchant, the game designers rapidly hotfix this and seemingly gloat to the players that they can no longer benefit from using lower level gear by selling their high level gear, buying it back before logging off, hoping not to disconnect, after the hotfix the game company created another wall of silence.
Thus it was that in a roleplaying game, trying out a different build, with lesser gear, you are penalized by your banked gear.

The above has nothing to do with diablo, it was just something done by Bizzard Entertainment.

Thank you Miss C for trying,
their silence is deafening, again,
their actions are contrary to their stated intention of providing fun no matter the game,
my reaction is as muted as it was at blizcon.
04/12/2019 02:58 PMPosted by DreamTeam
The DIablo 3 devs should have taken the needs of the older players that have supported them financially from day one!

Very much this.

I actually resonate with your entire post because I use to play heaps of HOTS too. My goal was to unlock all the heroes... current and upcoming. With word from Blizz that they're winding back on HOTS support, I'm guessing that the current empty spots on the character select screen may be all the heroes we will get going into the future. I've accumulated more than enough gold to get them so I don't play HOTS much anymore but that's also because I spend a lot of time dealing with my townhouse complex's building issues. It's going to cost me over $70k if no one fixes it and I'm one of the more qualified/experienced people who can deal with the matter.

I have played this game since day 1. I even have the special class specific banner sigils from the pre-launch promo campaign, all the companion lore books, and have both physical CEs. Hell, I run two accounts for HC and SC. But the game has been out for almost 7yrs and whilst it's still the most viable game for me to play, I'm really hoping to leverage off the gear I've collected during that time and ease off the 200hrs+ I typically put into the game during a season to something more realistic for someone in their late 30s... you know with tending to real life matters (such as career progression, caring for a parent with cancer, or dating/tending to family commitments... I'm listing these things from experience too).

Blizzard just doesn't design games this way.
04/12/2019 10:26 AMPosted by Flansy

Well, bit of a problem there. You say 'ones' as if you think you can unlock more than one per season. You can't. We are stuck waiting until season 21 until we have this 'quality of life' actually implemented. Thats at very least 12 months from now. New players will have to wait for 9 seasons to have them all unlocked. Thats 27 months. Over two years. It's horrible game design, and that's the problem that most people are having, from what I've seen.

This is the problem.

The time gating.

It sucks - especially for a game in pure maintenance mode that hasn't had an expantion for 5 years or a content update for 2 years.
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.
04/12/2019 09:59 AMPosted by Yadoukai
Are there really people who exclusively play seasons and need all that space?

No, definitely not. I play seasons exclusive and usually play around 3 classes a season. My seasonal stash is very unorganized, I tend to throw stuff in there as I find it. Even with this, I still tend to have 4-6 unused stash spaces (and I don't even own the necro, so only 10 total).

The problem I run into is when I want to put my cool stuff I found in the season in my trophy room(non-season). I constantly have to salvage cool stuff I want to keep because of the limited stash space. I have saved 1 of each set build for each class. This alone takes up 7 tabs. One page for machines,gems and leg gems. Now I have 2 pages left for any cool trophy items I have found over 7 years of playing, and maybe even a spot for a LON build. It is incredibly cramped and I constantly have to get rid of stuff I find cool.

note: I do not use characters as mules because characters are for playing.

I feel the pain for non-season guy. Gating a QOL piece behind a mode someone doesn't want to play is just B.S. Cosmetic crap is find, QOL stuff is playing dirty.
Highly Rated
04/12/2019 04:16 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.

First to laugh so hard I pee’d a little.

You are actually saying you realize the communication needs improvement? Isn’t there a post with 5K replies explaining the failures

I will also call BS on the fact of how the PTR notes were written. All you had to do was read the posts to see how excited people were about the immediate stash spaces

Bliz has lost all credibility.
It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

Part of the problem is the clarity. As of late, many of the communications from Blizzard (no one in particular) have been muddy, let alone timely.

Maybe a compromise can be reached?

Most of us can't help but feel cheated, regardless of the team's intentions. Looking down the longer path, would it not be prudent to make a different call with this situation?

I can say that many are still not going to be happy, mistake or not, clarity not made properly, whatever.

A little flex could go a long way with the community at large.

Thanks for replying, its good to hear something at least, even if its not what we are all hoping for.

The point the devs and Blizzard is missing isn't about the bait and switch, but the fact that a necessary QoL change is being gated "yet again" as a disservice to it's playerbase. Had Blizzard wrote in the initial post that 5 new stash tabs would be made available by completing conquerer over the next 5 seasons...aka Decemberish 2020, the playerbase would not have been complacent as you're implying they would be through "clear communication".

The issue is that the stash tabs are being gated to begin with. No player wants to have to keep salvaging viable legendary/set pieces in hopes of finding them later should they become the "flavor of the meta"...which ironically what the Season of LoN has introduced... coupled with the LoN set being boosted.

Communication is important, but your comment. much appreciated, still misses the point the playerbase is trying to convey.

Stash tabs should not be gated. That is what the uproar is about.
We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner

The explanation is appreciated Nevalistis.

I won't dwell on the communication points... I feel the community has said all they need to here but would the dev team consider the following change:

- allowing 1 more tab to be purchased with gold at the drop of the patch
- increasing the seasonal stash tabs earnt from 4 to 8

This is the same as what was done when it was announced at Blizzcon 2015 that more stash tabs are coming, this achieves the 5 extra tabs total but just gets one more tab out to players sooner to deal with the stash spach issues we have.

8 tabs is already a 2yr endeavour to unlock for new players. It shouldn't be going past this period of commitment to unlock the full potential of a key QoL feature. A 1yr endeavour is already too long a period from my experience on this the first time around.
Nev,

I know that you did not make this decision. Please relay my comments to the Devlopers/superiors who make these decisions. Integrity matters.

1) I would strongly encourage better communication and proofreading for clarity all posts before they are made publicly available.

2) This decision to gate stash tabs in season is utterly ridiculous. It is the non-season players who most desperately need them.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything.

1) Apparently, it didn't break anything as not a single person reported the so-called stash tab bug in the sticky that was posted April 5. As such, why not give stash tabs to all players now?

2) Do the right thing. Do not make players wait more than a year to get their 17th stash tab.

New edit to show disbelief and disgust from: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771287034

04/12/2019 10:08 PMPosted by MicroRNA
Although Blizzard has claimed poor communication, their behavior is far worse in my opinion. I can not reconcile the recent comment quoted below with the original patch statement with a Developer Comment also shown underneath. Simply stated, poor communication is one thing, but mutually incompatible statements are disingenuous. For the initial patch notes. They clearly refer to the 5 tabs being available with the patch as highlighted in the QoL section and the corresponding developer's comment. In the season section, they state absolutely NOTHING about stash tabs being a seasonal reward in the season section. I call horse hockey on Blizzard.

I will let everyone judge for themselves.

It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

The initial 2.6.5 PTR Patch notes stated:

"Quality of Life
Additional stash space has been added for all players
PC: 5 additional stash tabs are now available
PS4/XB1/Switch: 140 additional stash spaces are now available
Search functionality has been added to Stash (PC Only)
All Crafters now have an Expand/Collapse All button for recipes (PC Only)
Most Bounty indicators are now displayed immediately after entering the Bounty area
Death’s Breath now drop in Horadric Caches
Developer Comment: With 2.6.5, we’re aiming to address some of the longest standing and most desired quality of life features the community has brought to us. We’ve hit a little bit of everything, from adding additional Torment levels, making Ancient/Primal Puzzle Rings feel rewarding, and rehauling stash space in both size and functionality. Other changes were made to help smooth out overall gameplay, such as making Bounties feel less of a chore and more rewarding and reworking a few of our notification screens.

Seasons
The Season Journey Journal now displays all chapters, regardless of current progression
Added the buff for Season 17
Player’s damage dealt is increased by 750% and damage taken is reduced by 4% for every Ancient Item they have equipped while having no Set Bonuses Active
Developer’s Comment: The Season of Grandeur was by far our most popular Themed Season yet. In the wake of having a free Ring of Royal Grandeur active, we saw a lot of requests to try the same thing with the Legacy of Nightmares set power. We had been toying with the same idea internally, and the community request really nudged us over the edge of giving it a go!"
Thanks for the heads up.

I hope you consider two possibilities:

1. A way to earn stash tabs in non season
2. A way to buy stash tabs in the in-game shop

Most frustrating thing isn't the season grind, it is the time to get the tabs.

There's lot of ways to do #1: stashes could be rare loot drops, season journey equivalent in NS, endgame campaign mode... and so on. We would love to play characters we love with our limited free time.
“It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. ”

Why ?
04/12/2019 04:30 PMPosted by MicroRNA
1) Apparently, it didn't break anything as not a single person reported the so-called stash tab bug in the sticky that was posted April 5. As such, why not give stash tabs to all players now?

2) Do the right thing. Do not make players wait more than a year to get their 17th stash tab.

I haven't kept up with the discussions on player testing and no reports of this stash tab bug but if what you're saying is true. They stand to keep us playing for longer if they just give us a bunch of tabs now so we can play the way we want to.

04/12/2019 04:31 PMPosted by Ruined
Most frustrating thing isn't the season grind, it is the time to get the tabs.

Very much this. The wait time is going to burn many players out.
What the hell, force us to slowly earn tabs via overly long seasons? gtfo. Horrible decision. Better just to unlock them after the update because of the piss poor communication made it look that way.
REKTED

GG guys/gals, already uninstalled.

In the true end game now, the forum.
The distinct lack of, "We heard you, they'll be free for all." pretty much says it all. I'd say there's a difference between learning from a mistake and hiding behind it. The community is not in the mood to give leeway for the latter after Blizzcon.
we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything.

is this the reason you're not ready to sell tabs (and other things) in the in-game shop?
Due to the lack of communication on blizzards side, the best option i can think of that would satisfy the majority of existing players is to make stash tab unlocks retroactive, that way everyone that has completed conqueror in the last 16 seasons would have the updated number of stash tabs. New players would of course have to unlock them 1 at a time as has always been the case.
04/12/2019 04:28 PMPosted by Pariahmonkey
The issue is that the stash tabs are being gated to begin with. No player wants to have to keep salvaging viable legendary/set pieces in hopes of finding them later should they become the "flavor of the meta"...which ironically what the Season of LoN has introduced... coupled with the LoN set being boosted.

The other thing I'd add is had more stash space to unlock been added at the end of S8 so that players could keep unlocking tabs over time, I think that would have been acceptable to the player base. That was end of 2016 and over 2yrs and 8 seasons have gone by since.

To bump up the max seasonal stash tab now is only extending the time required before can get max stash tabs to a ridiculous period of time. All this stash gating does is make me feel like the past 8 seasons, at least 6 of which I've definitely hit conqueror across two account, have been invalidated. I'm feeling like I should have stopped playing then to start again now to avoid any burn out.
If you want more stash tabs, you have to buy multiple accounts. True you can’t share loot between accounts unless you play with them together. Marketing strategy 101, make them buy more out of necessity and convenience. They have to get their sales up somehow. #hardfacepalm