PTR Patch Notes Updated 9 April - Stash Change

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 65 Next
Poor Dev Logic: 5 Free Stash Tab=OP.Lon StarPact Wizard=Balanced
04/13/2019 01:29 AMPosted by spirited

You claim to be listening. We will always hold you to that, and perhaps thats a bit unfair for every situation. But I cannot think of any moment better than this for you to prove it. Lets see.
Well said, well said.

Tabs not free = understandable.
Tabs gated = forcing the way of play.
04/12/2019 04:16 PMPosted by Nevalistis

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.

So it’s excuses, again and again? Yes you failed. Again. If you want to let this game die, say it. But don’t make us hope for news or readjustment. It’s most disrespectful than anything else.

And I don’t understand what work needs to be done. Logging in the forum and reacts? Maybe it’s the solution?

I am sick about this, sorry. You did not change anything from « We hear you post ». Best regards anyway.
04/13/2019 02:47 AMPosted by IMNiceout
Poor Dev Logic: 5 Free Stash Tab=OP.Lon StarPact Wizard=Balanced

Yeah, who cares about silly stash tabs.. maybe start balancing the game lol
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.

You guys flat out dont have a clue how players actually play your game.

Stash space and (lack of) stash management has been beyond frustrating since the game launched.

For once, you get it right - by mistake, as it turns out - and instead of going with it ans giving us what we want you double down and frustrate everyone...
04/13/2019 06:12 AMPosted by lightstorm
For once, you get it right - by mistake, as it turns out - and instead of going with it ans giving us what we want you double down and frustrate everyone...
I do not think that they got it right by mistake initially. I think they saw that the extra stash tabs were popular and then decided to switch them to season-gated to prop up that game mode. No mistake, just a calculated, horse hockey decision. The original PTR notes are unequivocal and are quoted here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771287034
04/13/2019 06:16 AMPosted by MicroRNA
04/13/2019 06:12 AMPosted by lightstorm
I do not think that they got it right by mistake initially. I think they saw that the extra stash tabs were popular and then decided to switch them to season-gated to prop up that game mode. No mistake, just a calculated, horse hockey decision. The original PTR notes are unequivocal and are quoted here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771287034

I dont think the people who call the shots ever intended to give up those tabs for free since its the only tangible benefit seasons can offer - no new content, gear, challenges, nothing.

Maybe rank and file devs floated that idea but it was nixed the second the geniuses wearing suits heard about it, but at that time the patch notes were already out.

I can picture it, devs "we have nothing new so we thought we might give them stash..." exec barely listening thinking its a repeat of earlier season rewards "yeah sure" and when the patch notes are out he goes "are you nuts giving them for free, gate them just like we did with the first 4 tabs to drive seasonal numbers and get Nev to come up with some bs to placate them"
And the morons over at Blizzard just keep digging that moron grave that they are in, don't they? STOP FORCING BASIC GAME MECHANICS BEHIND SEASONS. You shouldn't have to be forced to play fresh every few months just for some extra stash space. If you fear people will stop playing seasons because stash is now suddenly buyable by gold, think again.
04/13/2019 01:28 AMPosted by SimpleDave
I get a feeling someone is getting thrown under the bus here...

The real powers that be never take responsibility.

Yep that's exactly what I was getting at. As much as players don't want to admit Nevalistis is actually really good and accurate at her job. She writes up hundreds of text, statements and documents that we don't even see, the others that we do see she rarely makes mistakes or leaves out important context.

For her to claim there was 2 large context mistakes/clarifications left out in the same PTR update note is like anyone one of us winning the lottery next week, it just doesn't happen. I'm not buying this at all. It was 100% bait and switch and she's taking the fall for it.

Additionally and regardless if that's actually true or not, she is our sole liaison between us and the developers. We shouldn't readily throw the pitch forks at her when she offers a reply. Myself included, my angst in my reply was more aimed toward the devs and not her. I was just stating the lack of logic in her reply, which again is a red flag to me as she's very logical most times.
Give 5 Stash tabs for everyone unlockable and gate 5 more behind seasonal rewards. Or add a new row and line to the actual stashes avaible. The difference between primal and ancient puzzle ring could be a improved boss fight in the goblin realm. Just add 5 Bulked up goblins to the fight and more loot.
The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver.
Talking about promptness... is Blizzard planning to update the blog on the Europe web site for languages other than English any time soon ?

For example : https://eu.diablo3.com/fr/blog/22933131/patch-265-ptr-preview-3-29-2019#qol
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

This is, without a doubt, the worst nonsense I have read in a long time. I played on the PTR, activated all 5 tabs, filled the tabs with all the season stuff for much easier sorting/comparing to existing stuff (normally had to do it very small amounts as I didn't have the space). I had no loading issues whatsoever. Your premise how you acknowledge bad communication by using late and more bad communication is just unbelievable. In the original list of what is going to be in Season 17, you listed 5 stash tabs, just like you did with 5 armor tabs in the season 16 notes. Why would we expect anything different? Others have already pointed out all the positive feedback about adding all 5 tabs for gold for S17. This slop that you are trying to feed us is dishonest. It's like you want to go out of business. Sad.
04/13/2019 06:47 AMPosted by lightstorm

I dont think the people who call the shots ever intended to give up those tabs for free since its the only tangible benefit seasons can offer - no new content, gear, challenges, nothing.

Maybe rank and file devs floated that idea but it was nixed the second the geniuses wearing suits heard about it, but at that time the patch notes were already out.

I can picture it, devs "we have nothing new so we thought we might give them stash..." exec barely listening thinking its a repeat of earlier season rewards "yeah sure" and when the patch notes are out he goes "are you nuts giving them for free, gate them just like we did with the first 4 tabs to drive seasonal numbers and get Nev to come up with some bs to placate them"

Yeah, I think thats probably the most likely scenario.

I absolutely believe giving those 5 stash tabs out for gold is something they could do without hesitation. IF they didn't treat the players like a number on a spreadsheet.

I'm not a mouse in a maze. I play Diablo how I see fit to play it. As long as I dont break any rules, I reserve that right because I paid for the game. I won't be manipulated into playing in such a way as to make investors feel happy.

I cant even believe that we're having to fight tooth and nail over 5 freaking stash tabs. Its absurd.
04/12/2019 04:28 PMPosted by Pariahmonkey

The point the devs and Blizzard is missing isn't about the bait and switch, but the fact that a necessary QoL change is being gated "yet again" as a disservice to it's playerbase. Had Blizzard wrote in the initial post that 5 new stash tabs would be made available by completing conquerer over the next 5 seasons...aka Decemberish 2020, the playerbase would not have been complacent as you're implying they would be through "clear communication".

The issue is that the stash tabs are being gated to begin with. No player wants to have to keep salvaging viable legendary/set pieces in hopes of finding them later should they become the "flavor of the meta"...which ironically what the Season of LoN has introduced... coupled with the LoN set being boosted.

Communication is important, but your comment. much appreciated, still misses the point the playerbase is trying to convey.

Stash tabs should not be gated. That is what the uproar is about.

This ^

The community has been asking for more stash space since when Diablo 3 released in 2012.
Yes, you gave players five additional stash tabs for doing season conquers but doing the same thing yet again, for another five tabs because you lack ideas on how to keep people "interested" in the game it's ridiculous.

Don't try to get me fooled by saying that giving more stash tabs increases the loading time because if it was really the case you wouldn't have added the first five tabs neither.
5 Free Stash Tab Becoming IMBA. 1 Week in PTR GR 150 Pass. Good Work Dev. The Most Balanced Game That I Ever Play. Keeping On Working Hard Dev.
04/12/2019 05:15 PMPosted by Alexismad
As of the last year or two, Blizz needs to realize their marketing, PR, and customer service departments in general are doing a terrible job. It is probably due to incompetence, under-staffing, out of touch management, or a combination of the three. You have a sizable fan base that is quickly diminishing, figure out the internal stuff first, then get back to us.

You make a good point here. Even World of Warcraft they lost nearly half their subscriptions on the last expansion. Do you know what they learned from that? Nothing. Why Nothing? because they didn't ask why people cancelled their subscription at the time of cancellation. How do I know this? Because I cancelled it and when I did, the message I got was your subscription is cancelled. No opportunity to let them know why after 12 years I was cancelling. A software company that doesn't care about the reasons for attrition is a software company on their way out of business.
Just another Camel to swallow.

I appreciate your long tenured time with D3. Seems like with lessons learned over the years with other Blizz games forums too, especially WoW, that you know players are gonna hang onto every word from devs or patch notes, that forms their expections/excitement.

I kinda thought it was too good to be true to be given 5 tabs at once, but at the same time I thought if true, it would have been a real nice gesture from the devs follwing Blizzcon fallout, and for long time players who still put a lot of time toward the game after all these years. Its so long waiting for these other unannounced projects, and no expansion or dlc for D3, that it just would have been a nice gesture of faith.

If the devs feel seaons needs more rewards with portraits getting recycled and that there is a performance issue with just how many stash tabs are available then I offer this idea: how about giving the 5 stash tabs now, then offering new character slots as season rewards??

Players could either use them as mules for more space, or use them for play. The way I play now, I don't have enough character slots anymore. I'd like to have 1 char per major item set in the game, so 28 (plus 4 more for that druid coming, hah). I'd rather HC have its own char slots as well as a QoL improvement. So you'd have max char slots per mode. And you'd have a mode button that flips between viewing your char slots whether they are SC or HC.
2012 game on 2019 hardware, but additional tabs would hinder performance? Sounds legit.
04/13/2019 07:25 AMPosted by NivekX01
And the morons over at Blizzard just keep digging that moron grave that they are in, don't they? STOP FORCING BASIC GAME MECHANICS BEHIND SEASONS. You shouldn't have to be forced to play fresh every few months just for some extra stash space. If you fear people will stop playing seasons because stash is now suddenly buyable by gold, think again.

I do believe that it is true that they are gating the stash space to pad the numbers of seasons. But that also means that their new season themes are not cutting it as far as making it different enough to be worthy to draw enough players. This is the second themed season that isn't a double it one like bounty caches or goblins.