PTR Patch Notes Updated 9 April - Stash Change

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19 65 Next
blizzard on diablo: "we can rebuild him, we have the technology, but i don't want to spend a lot of money".
04/12/2019 04:16 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

I'm sorry, but this is a fully fledged storm that has been raging for some time, of which should have had involvement from Blizzard/yourself much, much earlier.

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.

This is a paragraph that continually is rolled out when something goes wrong. Time and again, it is promised that Blizzard will get better at it's own internal processes and to therefore liaise efficiently with the community. Time again, we are at the same point of issue. And this is putting aside the 6 month old thread that has been crying out for clear and prompt communication on Diablo and it's future.

How anyone can trust a company that behaves this way is beyond me. In any business, the key is to ensure you have the pulse and trust of your clientele. It is painfully obvious this is not the case, it's akin to sitting up high on your cloud with the mandatory physical characteristic of 60 degree shoulders so that nothing can stick (since nothing can be done wrong).

If teams working on this mess cannot agree on a simple set of patch notes, then what hope is there for anything in the future?
There are 85 parts to the season journey, for the proposed seasonal rewards this means that there are 765 goals to accomplish for a new player, or 425 for existing players.
Of course raising a character from level one to seventy is trivial, rebuilding and using the enchanter, blacksmith and jeweller is trivial, running a t13 rift is trivial, doing one of each act is trivial, putting forty items into the cube is trivial, so a majority of the tasks can be done easily simply playing the game, most of us would not even look at the numbers involved.
The season journey is the reward in itself, oh and there are some cosmetics involved.
Speculation: the players want to compete with other players on an equal playing field, they do not want to be competing with someone who has thousands more paragon (and all that that implies) for the top spots on the leader boards, why would you want to put people in a position where they are compelled to do more than four or seven hundred trivial tasks that takes experienced players about twenty hours (each time) to accomplish?
Blizzard, what happened to you? You used to be somebody I could trust.

As things stand now, you're just a constant stream of disappointment. I was so excited for the big Diablo reveal at Blizzcon, only to be let down with a mobile title. Now, I was so excited to get these 5 additional stash tabs. We've all been asking for more space for YEARS and we though maybe you had finally listened. I guess you're still deaf to your fans.
So glad im not so attached to this game anymore. What an absolute crapshow.
There's really not much more I can add to this conversation that hasn't already been said. All I really can do is state how profoundly disappointing this is, on top of the many disappointments Blizzard has delivered in the last few months. Maybe there is a small sliver of a chance that Blizzard will take this opportunity to extend and olive branch to the community with an incredibly simple, basic request that the community has wanted since the very beginning.

This is not something that would take much effort from Blizzard. We know this because the PTR had it enabled, it's already in the code. There is nothing stopping Blizzard from doing this other than an unexplainable need to gate these stash tabs for literal months. I am not interested in getting my tabs by December, I need that space now. This is a basic fundamental quality of life feature that Blizzard has decided needs to be locked behind arbitrary requirements.

Blizzard, I want to be blunt right now. I cannot have a lower opinion of you than I have had over these last few months. Had you taken the tiniest, minor effort to do something genuinely kind for your community, I would have actually had something positive to say about you for once. To say I'm disappointed doesn't even begin to describe my feelings right now. You've said you've listened, well clearly you haven't. No one wants to have stash tabs gated for so long over a dead game. ESPECIALLY now that you have made it very clear you don't give a damn about the mainline diablo series and just want to sneak in DImmortal for all that lucrative Chinese market.

You had a chance to show us that our fears were unfounded. That you still actually care about your games and want to deliver a fun experience for players. You failed at this so miserably I cannot even begin to believe that you couldn't even be assed to do something as incredibly minor as this. It literally would have taken no effort on your part and yet you STILL chose to go against it.

I really don't know why I bother posting here anymore, I really don't. It seems like every time there's a sliver of hope you manage to crush it immediately.
Whether you intended to gate the extra stash tabs or not, once you saw the enthusiasm of the community it's the biggest no-brainer in the world to offer all five tabs for gold beginning in season 17.

What real benefit does it serve anyone to force players into playing five more seasons? Are you really so blind that you think it will serve to lengthen the life cycle of the game? No, it will just dissuade players who were excited about the change.

Oh wait, it's Blizzard ... you are that blind.

And if the excuse is server load ... well I can't buy that. If a multi-billion dollar game company is worried about crashes, server stress etc. over five stash tabs, then what are we doing here?
Going to try to clear up confusion as best I can. I do wish I could have been more quick about this, but I'll get to that in a moment.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

The key point here was promptness in communication, and that was something we failed to deliver. We're all working our hardest to improve the communication pipeline, and this particular cause brought to light some areas that need improving.

Another out of season April fools joke maybe?
04/13/2019 11:48 AMPosted by Brogoth
I really don't know why I bother posting here anymore, I really don't. It seems like every time there's a sliver of hope you manage to crush it immediately.

I still post here so that Blizzard can't claim, "But all the feedback we received about <insert-awful-decision> was positive!" And there are so many times when these awful decisions are merely babysteps to even worse decisions later on, so you have to oppose them loudly from the very first one.
04/13/2019 10:06 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
04/13/2019 07:25 AMPosted by NivekX01
And the morons over at Blizzard just keep digging that moron grave that they are in, don't they? STOP FORCING BASIC GAME MECHANICS BEHIND SEASONS. You shouldn't have to be forced to play fresh every few months just for some extra stash space. If you fear people will stop playing seasons because stash is now suddenly buyable by gold, think again.

I do believe that it is true that they are gating the stash space to pad the numbers of seasons. But that also means that their new season themes are not cutting it as far as making it different enough to be worthy to draw enough players. This is the second themed season that isn't a double it one like bounty caches or goblins.

I agree. They've had 16, going on 17 seasons now with the same EXACT transmog armor rewards. Instead of hiding stash space behind seasons, they should have made it available to everyone and actually had their artists put in a few hours at the office and created different transmog armor sets as rewards instead.
While I was reading this thread, I was thinking about a retail situation where if an item was mispriced too low on the shelf, the store would still sell you that item at that lower price. They would do so because (a) the mistake was on their part, not on the part of the customer, and (b) not honoring the marked price would be sure to stir up ill will and probably cost the store a customer. Apparently, Blizzard doesn't operate according to those goodwill rules.

We made all five stash tabs available on the PTR largely for testing purposes; we wanted to make sure adding this amount of space wouldn’t break anything. It was intended that this additional space would be unlocked over time. We could have made that more clear from the beginning and apologize for not clarifying sooner.

As for the disparity with Console specifically, additional stash space can impact things like game loading time negatively. Console players already have a larger amount of stash space available than PC players, and we found that 140 brought load times to a really uncomfortable level. By lowering the amount of new space, we can make sure console players still get more stash, but that gameplay experience doesn’t suffer from it.

You finally had a patch showing some hint of you actually listening, just barely. And as soon as we showed any form of happy vibes, you ripped it out.

Why do you continue to keep lying to us? It is perfectly clear your post after BlizzCon was nothing more than trying to save-face, and what has that gotten us? 3? blue posts since then having nothing to do with the actual community or state of the game. Instead, just more general nonsense question answering that could be found on the main site.

You guys lied, and here you are lying again.

You are not some indie developer/company. You are not some small team with these kinds of issues to have the excuse of load times and other nonsense of the sort. You are Blizzard, one of the original leading Triple A teams of the world. You are the company that pushed the boundries, lead the way for gaming tech, and showed other companies how to do things the right way.

But here we are, in 2019, still being lied to as you guys continue to beat the dead horse that is Diablo 3 with lies and excuses because rather than listening to your community, you are doing whatever you can to try to squeeze any ounce of life left in this game.

It's honestly amazing how disconnected you guys really are from us. It's like we're playing two entirely different games.
04/13/2019 09:01 AMPosted by Pereg
how about giving the 5 stash tabs now, then offering new character slots as season rewards??

Totally agree with this. My second biggest gripe on this main account of mine is that every character is used for storing things and that figuring out which one to rebirth each season is a painful process of:

a) ensuring I have the NS stash space to offload that character's inventory and equipped items (including follower items)
b) offloading it in a logical way
c) documenting all my armoury builds, and
d) at the end of the season, re-setting up that character for NS play.

At this point, if we were to get another character slot (that's not sold with a new class), I'd use it for seasons exclusively. Saves me messing around with the stash shuffle I do before every season.

The 5 stash tabs are still needed (and needed NOW)... I'd argue that a full 20 tabs should be the goal here... maybe 20 max tabs and a total of 20 max character slots. That'll give me 3 seasonal characters I can use each season on top of my 17 SC ones... it'll make having at least one HC character on this account (a mode I had to buy a whole other account for due to lack of free character slots) a viable option.
Waiting for the penny to drop:
They have added extra difficulty levels to expand upon the seasonal journey.
If it does drop so too will the number of players.
04/13/2019 11:19 AMPosted by Junior
Blizzard, what happened to you? You used to be somebody I could trust.

Blizzard (replying to Dutch): "I woke up. Why don't you? You're an asset. An expendable asset. And I used you to get the job done, got it?"

WTF............
Well i just wonder how much more bad P.R. can this game can get. You stuffed up big time at blizzcon and now with the 5 extra tabs. I cant get over the fact that console players get more tabs and they dont even need to do seasons to unlock them. What you do for 1 you do for the other. If blizzard would listen to what we as players want and need maybe there wouldn't be as many players uninstalling the game/ blizzard games on there PC. Maybe with all of this can be solved by letting us know as players and can be seen before a PTR release that any stash tabs or characters slots to be added into the game you NEED TO STATE THAT IN THE PATCH NOTES, isn't that hard to do.
04/13/2019 04:19 PMPosted by conancody123
I cant get over the fact that console players get more tabs and they dont even need to do seasons to unlock them.

You may want to reread the PTR notes on this point. Console players get 70 stash SPACES. Each space holds just one item. Assuming we're dealing with 2 square items, a PC stash tab can hold 35 items so at best, the consoles are getting 2x stash tabs worth of space.
04/13/2019 04:39 PMPosted by Mugsy
so at best, the consoles are getting 2x stash tabs worth of space.

Indeed they are...
As soon as 2.6.5 goes live.
Without having them gated behind seasons.
Regardless of whether they're playing seasonal or non-seasonal heroes.

Compare that to PC players have to play a minimum of two seasons to unlock the same amount of tabs, i.e. 3-6 months, in a mode they might not want to play in.
04/13/2019 05:31 PMPosted by Meteorblade
Compare that to PC players have to play a minimum of two seasons to unlock the same amount of tabs, i.e. 3-6 months, in a mode they might not want to play in.

Indeed the console players are getting their extra storage without any serious gating requirements. My point was that they weren't necessarily getting more in total than PC players since we still have the potential for 5 more tabs... just with the unacceptably long wait time. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison but the poster was making it so.

One thing's dawned on me, if the devs intend to provide more regular patches with each season, couldn't they just roll out an extra one or two tabs with each patch if they're worried about performance issues?

I mean, if they do 2 tabs off the bat next patch, then 1 for the next 3, that's gotta be better than gating it behind seasons. They're already bumping the max tabs to eventually hit 17. I can't see why they can't roll it out gradually in patches for everyone... NS and Seasonal players.