Do you have any faith left?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Highly Rated
Now that Diablo 3 pretty much on ice and will recieve no new content, do you have faith in Blizzard the Diablo: immortal, and a speculated Diablo 4 will be any good?

Blizzard as a whole hasn't released a good game in a long long time, and it hasn't released a good DIablo game for even longer.

I have no faith in this company anymore. Blizzard games used to be an automatic buy. Now I can hardly stand to play any of their games. Sad.
I have hope for D4, but D4 is only going to be good if it returns to "Diablo's Roots" while also adding innovation on top of iconic core mechanics we know from previous games such as D1 and especially D2. D1 and D2 showed that deep mechanics and Gothic medieval mood/setting are a must. D3 showed that combat can be fluid and that game polish can go a long way in delivering a good experience on first glance.

D4 must not only deliver a good game "on first glance" but also back it up with deep and iconic item and character mechanics we know from D2LOD. Long-term questing, long-term character building, long-term loot hunt etc. are all fundamentally important in a game like Diablo.

Matt Uelmen composing the music for D4 would be "the cherry on top".

In the end what matters is that D1, D2, and now also D3 players, will feel "at home" when they enter the world of Diablo 4. D1 and D2 players feel alienated in D3. Now Blizzard must ensure all 3 groups will feel "at home". A difficult task, especially after D3. On the positive side however, is that D3's team is no more, so the repercussions and influence on D4 will hopefully be minimal.

Diablo Immortal, is a simplified D3, with some modified spell textures, and shrunken static maps.

It is hopefully the last material we see that reminds us of D3. I think D3 is a great game, but its time to move on from it, and don't look back to that particular era in the franchise.
TLDR at the end.

I've thought long and hard about this, and for every positive I come up with, its challenged by a really good negative. And I've tried to be as balanced as possible. Then I run out of positives, and keep coming up with negatives. And the negatives just keep piling up.

I genuinely think the future of the IP is boned for the 'core' Diablo fan. I don't even have to define what that is, and I'm not just talking about D1/2 fans even though thats where my loyalties lie. If you're reading this there's a 99% chance you're a die hard core fan. I deserve better than this, and you do too.

There are devs at Blizzard that desperately want to give us the Diablo we deserve. Thats not even up for debate. No dev wants to make a bad game, or disappoint the fans. They're creative people, and they want to create content that thrills us and sparks our imaginations.

But Blizzard, structurally, seems so bloated and lethargic and out of ideas. Especially when you consider the highlights of Blizzcon were old games and mobile !@#$. They're putting in the least amount of effort for maximum profit. And that doesn't come from devs. It comes from executives who don't have a creative bone in their body and only understands spreadsheets. It doesn't matter what the fans of Diablo want, it only matters whats going to make them the most money and please investors. Thats the bottom line.

Blizzard is NOT a creative company anymore, its a corporate one. And that really comes across. As fans, we can see it, especially when our Community Managers are used as corporate PR. "We hear you, we're listening and want to engage with you, honest!!" And then they say NOTHING, show NOTHING, and do NOTHING. (Actually, no, they did do something. They deleted 100's of comments and 1000's of downvotes from the Immortal trailer. There you go, thats how Blizzard listens). As a fan, its not only frustrating but also insulting. There's also a perverse satisfaction that comes after 6 months of silence.. "I %^-*ing knew it", you say to yourself as you look for updates.

I keep on coming up with comparisons between Blizzard and Bethesda (circa Morrowind and beyond) and how their culture became more and more corporately led, and they went from gamers making games that they'd want to play themselves, to workers making products for executives. Thats where I believe Blizzard is right now (its the reason why Immortal exists), and it wouldn't surprise me to hear thats what led to key people leaving like Rob Pardo. The culture at Blizz is totally different now, and its been a slow steady change since the WOTLK. I can't ever see them about turn and return to their roots or whatever, because corporate culture doesn't do that, not unless theres a buyout or something really drastic.

TLDR: no.

BONUS DRINKING CHALLENGE: watch Blizzon 2018 on youtube. Everytime someone says "fully fledged Diablo experience" take a shot. Good luck and take the following day off
Did D3 degenerate into a simulator?
Obvi.

They have "Multi-peeps workin on multi-projs-yo for multi-plats!"
Omgnoway.
Anyone have a machete to cut through this tough, vine-wall he threw at us in the interview-jungle?

I mean I could go look for the Gidbinn in the Flayer Jungle...but that would be playing Diablo 2, which is a 2k times better game. Remember group-quests online w chase items, death penalties, hostile, no-movement skills, and awesome art/graphics/combat design?

D3's combat is so far from good its unreal.
it's abso not some Untouchable-Face.
Examp...you can walk by all monsters in the game...lol how is that 'omg D3's combat is good auto-quote this".

Think.
Analyze.
Invest time.
Open up your mind.
Take notes...compare Diablo 1,2,3.

D3 is terrible (politely, it is), the dart board was 20 feet up from their free-throw.
Nobody was in their way...they had all the tools in their own hands...and flopped.

That's not so bad and forgivable (well everything is).
Denying your playerbase transparency and an honest, timely answer is faith-losing.

I lost faith the moment they stopped, well never did, ask us what we like about Diablo 1 n 2. The moment they never said "hey, what's not-so-awesome! about Diablo 3?".

The moment they never asked us "How do YOU want D4?"
The moment they said "you guys, relax, we have mult projs on multplats for multipeeps yo!" This is a huge-wall spun as transparency....with no follow up on the forums. "hey, we're listening" doesn't mean athing if you don't timely-reply. Define timely? Lets just say factually < 6 months now? I mean c'mon, be realistic, you were overdue for a reply let alone many replies and questions within a month of that post, it's been 6.

The writing's on the wall Blizz, your lack of comm...lack of D1/2 discussion, lack of D3 criticism shows.

We are not sheep.
"Baaah".

D3 isn't this amazing-masterpiece, and good-business is to be-realistic and understand if your product flopped and why. Living in denial or ignoring everyone doesn't solve it, it makes the com more-frustrated.

Mr. Madison...I choose...Business...Ethics.
Watch the movie, It was made in the 90s, the same-decade where A music used instruments (like Nirvana...omg so good) and B games were made with challenge and winners + losers. Not no-winners-no-losers, no-challenge gaming and MacBook-created music...bandmates not-required - that we have today. Ewww, IK.

Even in the 80s, in Mario bros, you can die.
In Diablo 3? Dying means what...respawn insta?
in Zelda, what D1/2 mirror and D3 does-not, you don't respawn right where you die.
There is not a banner to "get in the action" insta. Maybe communication is a good thing?
Maybe you don't always want everyone with you? This is adult-gaming 101 Blizz...communication about whatever - engagement - friends - like-logging-in...

Member in Zelda when you had to have that Blue-Candle to even try later-dungeons?
That's called progression. Rifts? I'm not seeing it D3. It's a simulator-pitched-as-an-upgrade. We've been pitched so much...you know the word...junk...dishonesty...it's insulting. Sorry for being harsh, but i'd like to tell it like it is. If you know your game is a misfire, and pitch a rift-expansion as some great-new-content...it's not...it's a downgrade and should of been admitted as-such. It's not that-subjective and if you are unsure...ask.

So look up the 80s and 90s gaming Blizz.
Text Brevik and company. Ask them.
Or, just simply ask anyone here on the forums.
Don't tell us 'multi plats multi projects' and use us as D4 beta testers.
Most-adult-gamers have no-faith (if that's ur target-M), it was lost at Blizzcon 2018 or earlier. You don't ask us about Diablo 1 and 2, that's one-reason. You don't ask us about Diablo 3 good/bad either...and you wonder why most of us don't have faith?
03/24/2019 08:53 AMPosted by Thorodan
Most-adult-gamers have no-faith (if that's ur target-M), it was lost at Blizzcon 2018 or earlier.

Hence why Diablo: Immortal happened to appeal a younger audience. If you really believe D4 will "return back to its roots" after seeing D:I, you're only lying to yourself. May be time proves me wrong, but I wouldn't really bet on that.
Money comes with wider audience approach, you can forget about blood and gore at the next Diablo, let along complex systems taken from D&D, Pathfinder and even Warhammer.
03/24/2019 09:07 AMPosted by naksiloth
03/24/2019 08:53 AMPosted by Thorodan
Most-adult-gamers have no-faith (if that's ur target-M), it was lost at Blizzcon 2018 or earlier.

Hence why Diablo: Immortal happened to appeal a younger audience. If you really believe D4 will "return back to its roots" after seeing D:I, you're only lying to yourself. May be time proves me wrong, but I wouldn't really bet on that.
Money comes with wider audience approach, you can forget about blood and gore at the next Diablo, let along complex systems taken from D&D, Pathfinder and even Warhammer.
Sir, i did-not indicate above "I really believe D4 will return back to it's roots".

How?
By writing "we (myself) have no faith".
So it means the opposite - I do not believe D4 will return to it's roots bc I have no-faith. Make sense?

So, by saying "I have no faith" means "I do NOT think Diablo 4 will get things right" and does-not mean "Diablo 4 is returning to what worked".
I think at this time there is an opportunity to take the depth of D1/D2 and some of the extra modes and polish of D3 to create a full gaming experience. With that said, It is of up most importance that the gaming experience is driven first by the character development depth and story. Exapmple: current PoE. I think though Diablo due to story has so much more to offer. I have Hope.
There's millions more people playing games these days than there were when Diablo 2 came out and many of these people are coming from things like cell phones. Blizzard is a huge corporation now, and as such, they care more and more about shareholders and that's why they don't care if they burn their fans to get a much larger audience. It was somewhat different in the past when the guys who made Blizzard from the ground up were running the show, they had enough power to fight the other shareholders off and direct the company but now there is nobody left. Blizzard lost all their Elon Musks. So, yeah, it's not so much that I lost faith in Blizzard's capabilities, it's more that Blizzard has been losing more and more of its soul as the transition of power left the hands of the passionate few that made the company.

I don't know if we'll ever have another company like the old Blizzard. Games cost too much to make now, it's nearly impossible to have a AAA company these days without having investors breathing down your neck. All we have as alternatives are Indie companies and kickstarter games (game that may end up being scams).
03/24/2019 09:24 AMPosted by Thorodan
Sir, i did-not indicate above "I really believe D4 will return back to it's roots".

I didn't direct my statement to you, that was more of a supportive comment. I thought that was clear enough but I should've used paragraphs I guess.
03/24/2019 07:25 AMPosted by Awax
Now I can hardly stand to play any of their games.
-- but you're sure happy to use their forums!
The only thing I have faith in would be blizzard's ability to deflect questions regarding certain topics.

Anything besides that I cannot say for certain.
03/24/2019 10:20 AMPosted by Stinkyfinger

It is the only PVP the D3 developers gave us.
03/24/2019 10:20 AMPosted by Stinkyfinger
Now I can hardly stand to play any of their games.

I haven't really posted on these forums in months. But ok
03/24/2019 09:41 AMPosted by Madix
I don't know if we'll ever have another company like the old Blizzard. Games cost too much to make now
Yes but Blizzard North used to take their time to release games. They did not care if the graphics were outdated. What mattered was the overall quality of the product in every aspect of the game.
Today's video games put too much resources and efforts in pixel resolution. At the risk of creating a "postcard" game.

But I believe a high megapixel camera does not make the picture better looking. One needs the right photographer, the right model, and the right composition.

But there is another reason why (imo), companies invest so much in 3d modelling. A high definition model can then be used for other ip's (war3 --> wow --> Hearthstone --> HOTS.) With very little investments and high profits.

High megapixels models are also handy for making cinematics, marketing and advertising. Keep in mind Blizzard is unfortunately under pressure each year to show "something" at Blizzcon. This is why I personally think Blizzcon disturbs the normal development pace of games . It creates as much expectations as disappointments, the mediatic buzz does not create a calm environment for the game developers who should work 6 years in silence.
Damage control leak or truth? ... U decide ... Rhykker is always fun to watch for his reactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=471&v=HHXMkZkjDSA
03/24/2019 12:31 PMPosted by Graveheart
Damage control leak or truth? ... U decide ... Rhykker is always fun to watch for his reactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=471&v=HHXMkZkjDSA

If what was said about Mike Morhime is true (he didnt care about profitability, he just wanted his employees to be happy and make good games and keep the community happy) it really saddens me that he left. God dammit.
Not really no, but I'll let them try. Thou as far as I can tell they really have a lot to do differently from what they've done for quite some time.
I try to have faith for D4, but their recent decisions make me have little to none. I’m keeping my eye on Last Epoch and Wolcen. Last Epoch really seems like it can be great and they’re making good progress.
Now that Diablo 3 pretty much on ice and will recieve no new content, do you have faith in Blizzard the Diablo: immortal, and a speculated Diablo 4 will be any good?

Blizzard as a whole hasn't released a good game in a long long time, and it hasn't released a good DIablo game for even longer.

I have no faith in this company anymore. Blizzard games used to be an automatic buy. Now I can hardly stand to play any of their games. Sad.

D3 dev team has nothing to do with DI.

If i work delivering gas and you wanna complain will you complain with me or with the janitor ? So complain on Blizzard forum.

And yes D3 dev team will delivery new stuff for us. They just did one amazing job rebalancing set recently. Now they have time to release and address for us some new stuff.
03/24/2019 04:02 PMPosted by PardalBR
D3 dev team has nothing to do with DI.

Wyatt was on D3 dev team, now he is on mobile trash team. I would wager there are others who have moved from project to project, especially since they just canned around 800 people.

03/24/2019 04:02 PMPosted by PardalBR
And yes D3 dev team will delivery new stuff for us. They just did one amazing job rebalancing set recently. Now they have time to release and address for us some new stuff.

Pretty sure there is no current D3 dev team at the moment. Rumors are D3 is in the hands of the classics games dept, which is why we have seen only some number tweaks and a few QOL additions since the Necro and challenged rifts were released. I wouldn't get my hopes up for any new content for D3.

As for D4, they are going to have to seriously earn my money this time. Won't be placing a pre-order and won't be dropping any of my hard earned cash until they can show me a PC game that is polished with plenty of things to do.