Challenge Rift hurts Fresh Start

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I'm assuming people who mass downvoted OP are doing it impulsively. There is something that you should consider. I'll put a disclaimer and say that if you think this isn't a large enough deal to care, that's perfectly fine. I don't lean one way in particular (namely that I don't care if they do as OP asks or if they keep it as is.)

Basically, it comes down to "farming" mats for the season prior to the season starting. I'm doing this myself in preparation for the season. You elect not to collect the rewards a month before the actual season starts, because the mail has a 30 day grace period before it gets deleted. When the season starts, I'll open up 3-4 of them right away and have an exorbitant amount of mats to use for bloodshard gambling or rare upgrades.

It's not a huge issue for sure, but there is at least some credence to the argument that this goes against the intended spirit of seasons.
05/14/2019 11:10 AMPosted by Brogoth
It's not a huge issue for sure, but there is at least some credence to the argument that this goes against the intended spirit of seasons.

No, not really.

I consider people carrying others to be against the spirit of season far more than challenge rifts. As others have said, if you want to uphold the spirit of season, then just don't utilize challenge rifts.
Considering how small the reward for doing a CR is, I'm not even sure why this is an issue at all.

Its s slight leg up for the first and worst part of doing a season. Leveling to 70. Once you get near 70, you will have EARNED that amount in grinding anyway, if not more. But it helps the initial process significantly and that is what matters to those who do seasons a LOT.

So like others have stated, please try not to tell what we all should do.
05/14/2019 10:57 AMPosted by Eric
05/14/2019 10:18 AMPosted by DieHarder
If you remove CR from Seasons then you are no longer compelled to do them in order to compete.

Not sure where you're finding this compulsion to do CRs. I've done exactly none of them, and it hasn't diminished my Seasonal experience at all.

Your nose is growing.

@Brogoth

Thx for being objective.

05/14/2019 11:30 AMPosted by DTMAce
Considering how small the reward for doing a CR is, I'm not even sure why this is an issue at all.

Its s slight leg up for the first and worst part of doing a season. Leveling to 70. Once you get near 70, you will have EARNED that amount in grinding anyway, if not more. But it helps the initial process significantly and that is what matters to those who do seasons a LOT.

So like others have stated, please try not to tell what we all should do.

How can players say they love Fresh Starts and be opposed to the suggestion?
05/14/2019 11:40 AMPosted by DieHarder
It's a game. Let players enjoy it. Players should have choices and what you're proposing is to take those choices away. You want to force us to play the way you think we should play.

When you start a new Season, you have a choice of playing Campaign Mode, Adventure Mode and/or Challenge Rift. No one makes you play any one of these Modes. It is your choice which one you will play.

When a new Season starts
  • if you don't want to play Campaign Mode, don't play it.
  • if you don't want to play Adventure Mode, don't play it.
  • if you don't want to play the Challenge Rift, don't play it.
  • if you don't want a Power Level, don't get pLeveled.

We could use more choices. Not have them taken away.

Of course, that's just my opinion... and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)
Your nose is growing.

Nope, same size it's always been. Never even once considered playing Challenge Rifts, same as I don't play Hardcore.....just not where my interest in the game is.
05/14/2019 01:04 PMPosted by Eric
Your nose is growing.

Nope, same size it's always been. Never even once considered playing Challenge Rifts, same as I don't play Hardcore.....just not where my interest in the game is.

I'm afraid I won't be able to take your word for it.

05/14/2019 11:51 AMPosted by Perusoe
05/14/2019 11:40 AMPosted by DieHarder
It's a game. Let players enjoy it. Players should have choices and what you're proposing is to take those choices away. You want to force us to play the way you think we should play.

When you start a new Season, you have a choice of playing Campaign Mode, Adventure Mode and/or Challenge Rift. No one makes you play any one of these Modes. It is your choice which one you will play.

When a new Season starts
  • if you don't want to play Campaign Mode, don't play it.
  • if you don't want to play Adventure Mode, don't play it.
  • if you don't want to play the Challenge Rift, don't play it.
  • if you don't want a Power Level, don't get pLeveled.

We could use more choices. Not have them taken away.

Of course, that's just my opinion... and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)

Bottom line is that we can't say we enjoy Season because of the Fresh Start, suedo Fresh Start, yes, but not a Fresh Start.
05/14/2019 01:04 PMPosted by Eric

I'm afraid I won't be able to take your word for it.

Bottom line is that we can't say we enjoy Season because of the Fresh Start, suedo Fresh Start, yes, but not a Fresh Start.

You don't have to. I know it's true, so your opinion on it isn't important to me.

By the way: it's 'Psuedo'
05/14/2019 01:13 PMPosted by DieHarder

You can't say that unless every single player who plays season makes use of challenge rifts during the first week of season, which is not the case. There are some players (myself included a few times) who have done challenge rifts before the season have started and as consequent became unable to benefit from the challenge rift rewards during the first week of seasonal play.

Understandably, you even have some players who opt out of challenge rifts because they find it too tedious to bother with. Just because some players use challenge rifts during season play, doesn't mean all, maybe a majority, but not all.
05/14/2019 01:13 PMPosted by DieHarder

I guess seasonal players grapple with their guilt at doing the CR the same way that non-seasonal players do; after all, they can't do seasons because they don't want to give up their progression and continuity on their characters and be forced into another game mode for some rewards, but they do exactly that every time they play a CR.

Doing the CR doesn't invalidate the fresh start of seasons in any way. It's a small progress boost, nothing more. And starting seasons is all about boosting your progress, right?
05/14/2019 01:18 PMPosted by Eric

By the way, it's not...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pseudo
05/14/2019 01:54 PMPosted by Meteorblade
05/14/2019 01:18 PMPosted by Eric

By the way, it's not...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pseudo

:-) Dang my digital dyslexia!! :-)
05/14/2019 01:34 PMPosted by spacecadet13
I guess seasonal players grapple with their guilt at doing the CR the same way that non-seasonal players do; after all, they can't do seasons because they don't want to give up their progression and continuity on their characters and be forced into another game mode for some rewards, but they do exactly that every time they play a CR.

Doing the CR doesn't invalidate the fresh start of seasons in any way. It's a small progress boost, nothing more. And starting seasons is all about boosting your progress, right?

I don't think you could be more wrong. We can't claim that Seasons are all about Fresh Starts when our Fresh Starts are Psuedo ;)

We claim that we love starting from "scratch" when we're not. We are tout from our high horses that love starting a new and here we are whining about losing "a small progress boost". If we love the starting from scratch so much, then why do try so hard to get beyond the "Fresh Start" phase of the Season. We deceive others and ourselves when we say we do Seasons for the "Fresh Start".
when did anyone of us claim we love starting from scratch? who is whining about about losing a small progress boost? only person that seems to hate this is you and only one whining again seems to be you, you dont like the CR then dont do it, leave the rest of us alone who already didnt do the CR and saved it for the start of the season.
OP.

I have just one question.

Did you already do the challenge rift this week and now know you can't use it to start the season?
DieHarder AKA TrollHarder
05/14/2019 08:52 AMPosted by DieHarder
Challenge Rifts are undermining the Season concept.

Another cornfused ploughboy!

Adding the CR was genious, in fact it felt like I was cheating the first couple seasons CR was available.

It really helps get to 70 faster and if RNG is with you:
You will have a lvl 70 2H weapon @ lvl 40.

This is freakin' awesome!
05/14/2019 02:57 PMPosted by Lazybum
we

I think you mean "when".

05/14/2019 02:57 PMPosted by Lazybum
we did anyone of us claim we love starting from scratch?

You guys, all the time.

I think the phrase that's used is "Fresh Start".

And that's what I'm saying, let's be true to our Fresh Start.
05/14/2019 03:06 PMPosted by DTMAce
OP.

Did you already do the challenge rift this week and now know you can't use it to start the season?

Negative, I know better than that.

And that's the whole shame of it.
05/14/2019 03:17 PMPosted by DieHarder
05/14/2019 03:06 PMPosted by DTMAce
OP.

Negative, I know better than that.

And that's the whole shame of it.

Funny, I don't feel ashamed. Apparently the only one complaining so far is you. Anyone else want to back up DieHarder?