Challenge Rift hurts Fresh Start

General Discussion
This thread is now worthless.
Wouldn't a true "fresh start" mean first having to complete campaign mode before starting adventure mode?
05/14/2019 08:52 AMPosted by DieHarder
Seasons are all about Fresh Starts. And quite frankly, Challenge Rifts are undermining the Season concept.

I propose that we remove Challenge Rift Cache bags from Seasons for the sake of having a pure and true Fresh Start experience.

It hurts you bud, not me!

Cheers.
05/14/2019 11:10 AMPosted by Brogoth
Basically, it comes down to "farming" mats for the season prior to the season starting. I'm doing this myself in preparation for the season. You elect not to collect the rewards a month before the actual season starts, because the mail has a 30 day grace period before it gets deleted. When the season starts, I'll open up 3-4 of them right away and have an exorbitant amount of mats to use for bloodshard gambling or rare upgrades.

Pretty sure this isn't going to work. You have to do the Challenge rift after the season starts. Even if you do not collect them, you will not be able to on your seasonal character through the mail, same as you can't wait to collect your last season stuff until the season starts and collect on season.

05/14/2019 03:15 PMPosted by DieHarder
You guys, all the time.

I think the phrase that's used is "Fresh Start".

And that's what I'm saying, let's be true to our Fresh Start.

Still is a fresh start. You cannot do the CRift before the season starts, only after it starts. It is the same as running campaign to get the Leorics crown drop early on for the double ruby in the helm xp. All the CRift is going to do is save you an hour or two.
This thread was always worthless.

ftfy
05/14/2019 03:32 PMPosted by Jazz
Wouldn't a true "fresh start" mean first having to complete campaign mode before starting adventure mode?

Nope. A real fresh start is getting a new account every season.
Haha you are all getting hosed. This person loves challenge rifts and is just posting this topic to get everyone all riled up...! ;)
05/14/2019 03:23 PMPosted by DTMAce

Funny, I don't feel ashamed. Apparently the only one complaining so far is you. Anyone else want to back up DieHarder?

Eh, I see his point, if you think of getting to 70 as a race, and some people do the challenge rift impacts your chances of winning while being an activity arguably outside of the scope of the race.

Having said that I think thinking of getting to 70 as a race is a bit silly as one random drop early can make such a huge difference that it's at least as much luck as skill to win the "race". I think any so called race that involves the gearing process in this game would need to be longer than the journey from one to 70 to let the the bumps caused by luck average out.

I know I'll be doing the CR, and won't mind a bit as I'm not a huge fan of 1-70 But I can see why people might not like the idea of it.

Valid point. You should create another thread for that.

Exactly!
I propose that we remove Challenge Rift Cache bags from Seasons for the sake of having a pure and true Fresh Start experience.

Starting over is the fresh start, everyone does the same thing, so everyone is on an equal playing field
Seasons are all about Fresh Starts. And quite frankly, Challenge Rifts are undermining the Season concept.

I agree with this for my own personal enjoyment. As such, I don't do Challenge Rifts to get the prize baggie for my season character.

I don't think it even matters at this point anymore if players get it or not in seasons. The leveling process is over in a matter of hours if you really want to push it and getting the other materials is pretty fast at that point. This doesn't really do much overall compared to other powercreep dominant in the game.
one of the best things devs did for seasons was recognize that its not about 1-70, and removed the story mode requirement for adv mode.

nerfing the challenge mats would only serve to hurt those that CHOOSE to use it. nobody forces you to ever do the challenge mode, must less use it to boost your season start.
05/14/2019 03:17 PMPosted by DieHarder
05/14/2019 03:06 PMPosted by DTMAce
Did you already do the challenge rift this week and now know you can't use it to start the season?

Negative, I know better than that.

So, you're making sure not to complete the challenge rift until after the season starts so you can collect the cache on your seasonal hero and then complain that apparently you were compelled to do it, even though the only person who could have possibly decided whether to do so or not was you?

Here's an analogy for you...
Imagine that we're neighbours and I've got nicer furniture than you. One day I forget to lock my front door. If you steal my furniture, is that because I compelled you to do it, or because you chose to do it? Would your defence be that it's my fault for letting you do it by not locking the door?
Blizzard wants people to play the game. gettomg ppple play both seasons and CR = success
05/14/2019 04:13 PMPosted by DieHarder

Valid point. You should create another thread for that.

No reason for another silly thread.
fresh start should be clean slate protocol aka account wipe :/

they used to call those ironman tournaments for a reason

I'd actually be okay with that if they make campaign mode not completely !@#$ in rewards and the story wasn't so dumb.
05/14/2019 06:56 PMPosted by Leisa

I'd actually be okay with that if they make campaign mode not completely !@#$ in rewards and the story wasn't so dumb.

Personally, I have little issue with the story, of course that's also because I've done the campaign so many times back in vanilla that I'm practically indifferent to it. However, if they did up the rewards in campaign mode, I would gladly choose to do that at the start of a season rather than adventure mode.
Despite how much the OP is being downvoted, he is completely correct.

Free challenge rift bags at level 1 are undermining the Season concept of a fresh start. You get get free level 70 weapons with 30-40 reduced item level, free gambling for legendary items and free cube powers.

That being said, I don't care about a purely fresh start. I like the idea of free challenge rift bags to get to 70 as soon as possible and disagree with removing it.