For the love of god, tone down the ocurrence of...

General Discussion
these two GARBAGE MAPS in Greater Rifts: The Ossuary / Depository of Bones and the f*****g Ruins of Corvus. 9 out of 10 times this GARBAGE maps/layouts appear for me, i'm farming GR100 and i'm trying to have fun you know, but the first map/layout is FULL of DEAD ENDS and the problem of the second map are the damn doors. These two maps are a pain to navigate.
I think what is actually worse is that the discrepancy in monster density between the various maps in GR's is so huge. You have maps like Pandemonium and the Forest Map from Act 1 which are just great, and then you have stuff cave maps which are fairly empty compared to even maps with medium density.

If something should be done to improve GR's, they should increase the density in certain maps, because that strikes me as more important.
Huh. I still hate the Moorelands (or whatever the Necromancer open map is), the pits, and Pandemonium way more than those two. At least Corvus usually has good density.
While I agree that it would make more GRs more immediately satisfying, I can also see that it could ultimately be good for the game to have this random factor. Eliminating that luck factor then would eliminate some of the addictive quality, the "awh, man, I missed, but maybe if I try again I could just get a better layout". It keeps people playing. I'm not saying it's necessarily better overall for the player, but from the perspective of a game developer or producer, it might be.
To clarify why random *can* be good, is that when a player loses, it will inherently be coupled with "bad feels". If there are just enough random factors that the player can convince themselves that their loss is at least partly due to RNG, then they're more likely to keep moving forward with optimism. If there's too much RNG, they'll feel like the game is robbing them. If there isn't enough, they might sooner get frustrated at feeling like they either need to grind out more levels, or need to spend hours practicing, or are simply inferior and give up.

You also don't want too much RNG for when the player has success. If the player feels that most of the agency is in their hands, then their "epic wins" can be because "they're so good at the game". But I don't think the varying densities of rifts quite eliminate enough player agency to dull the "epic win".
06/01/2019 11:02 AMPosted by NightChime
I can also see that it could ultimately be good for the game to have this random factor. Eliminating that luck factor then would eliminate some of the addictive quality, the "awh, man, I missed, but maybe if I try again I could just get a better layout".

There isn't any addictive quality to trying to get a good GR map layout. Leave the game and try again is what happens.

"Another damned cave map full of ranged attackers" is what could be heard while throwing away another GR key.
I mostly just hate sparsely populated maps. Of any type. And ones with nothing but 95% of one monster type. Which usually ends up being things like spear throwing goatmen, or fireball throwing succubi. Or narrow cave maps full of poison exploding accursed.

No thanks. Everything else I can deal with.

Game on.
06/01/2019 11:08 AMPosted by NightChime
To clarify why random *can* be good, is that when a player loses, it will inherently be coupled with "bad feels". If there are just enough random factors that the player can convince themselves that their loss is at least partly due to RNG, then they're more likely to keep moving forward with optimism. If there's too much RNG, they'll feel like the game is robbing them. If there isn't enough, they might sooner get frustrated at feeling like they either need to grind out more levels, or need to spend hours practicing, or are simply inferior and give up.

You also don't want too much RNG for when the player has success. If the player feels that most of the agency is in their hands, then their "epic wins" can be because "they're so good at the game". But I don't think the varying densities of rifts quite eliminate enough player agency to dull the "epic win".

RNG is certainly important, but in the context of rift maps and monster density in rifts, RNG can be an annoyance if it goes to far.

How shall I say... there is a certain amount of RNG in the context of rift maps and monster density that is tolerable, but at a certain point it become too much. For example a difference of 10-15% in regards to monster density is probably tolerable for most people, but if the difference is like 40+%, than it become too much. The numbers that I use here are just arbitrarily chosen to illustrate my point btw.

It would be nice imo if the devs do what they have done to the range of affix rolls and apply the same idea on rift maps and monster density. In D3 vanilla, affixes like mainstat on high level items could still roll anywhere between 1 and 400 (or whatever the maximum was. Now affixes like mainstat on high level items can roll anywhere between for example 300 and 400. Something like this should be done to rifts and monster density as well.
06/01/2019 11:08 AMPosted by NightChime
If there are just enough random factors that the player can convince themselves that their loss is at least partly due to RNG, then they're more likely to keep moving forward with optimism.
You don't really understand the psychology of intermittent reward and the motivation factors of this game do you?
omg I sooo agreed...having to do 110+ with no density makes me want to shoot myself...on top of that getting bad affixes like Juggernaut and Shielding ugh

they need to add Fields of Misery to the GR rotation, a nice open map with potentially high dense
Imagine a ruins of Corvus where every room was full of mobs. 1 floor Corvus gr 150
06/01/2019 12:06 PMPosted by DTMAce
I mostly just hate sparsely populated maps. Of any type. And ones with nothing but 95% of one monster type. Which usually ends up being things like spear throwing goatmen, or fireball throwing succubi. Or narrow cave maps full of poison exploding accursed.

No thanks. Everything else I can deal with.

Game on.

Those damn spear throwing goats can be a problem when there are 70 of them.
06/01/2019 06:02 PMPosted by Havok
Those damn spear throwing goats can be a problem when there are 70 of them.

If there were only 70, that would be doable. But when the whole floor is full of them... Even the elites, that's an entirely different matter. lol
morlus and blazing guardians, remove these 2 dog poo mob types
06/01/2019 10:02 AMPosted by phosTR
these two GARBAGE MAPS in Greater Rifts: The Ossuary / Depository of Bones and the f*****g Ruins of Corvus. 9 out of 10 times this GARBAGE maps/layouts appear for me, i'm farming GR100 and i'm trying to have fun you know, but the first map/layout is FULL of DEAD ENDS and the problem of the second map are the damn doors. These two maps are a pain to navigate.

If you’re talking about the donut map, you don’t know it enough to avoid dead ends. Layouts for this map are pretty standard, you need to play it more to see the pattern.
Or, just use free software you know what I’m talking about, no more dead end problem.
Yes, Corvus is annoying as hell
that act5 repository of bones is an instant remake.
hate that map..
You know it's bad when the endgame is doing a single activity over and over and players are actively avoiding 90% of that content. LOL. Somehow it doesn't seem to bother the devs one bit.
06/02/2019 05:20 AMPosted by SevenShadow
You know it's bad when the endgame is doing a single activity over and over and players are actively avoiding 90% of that content. LOL. Somehow it doesn't seem to bother the devs one bit.

Probably because the game is in maintenance mode and only managed by rudimentary crew (possibly the classic team).

Maybe there are only going to be one to two medium large updates to this game every year at max.
If all GR 100+ could just be in Fields of Misery / Battlefields of Eternity or some other big open map like the sandy one, that would be great. Getting that one big open map, the one that has super sparse monster density, is the worst, especially since it's so common (seemingly). And then yeah, getting ones with lots of doors is THE WORST especially as a necro that doesn't have a good door breaking ability (yeah singularity mages CAN break the doors but it is not easy or fun)
It was actually a lot worse back in the day. It was tuned in a way that there was an increased chance to get the same map as you had before. So 3-4 sewers or keeps in a row was normal. And those maps had a lot higher chance to pop up and festering/bf had like 1% chance. Now fishing is less frustrating when they made changes to map probabilities.