Barb Focused Feedback

Barbarian
Prev 1 2 3 14 Next
05/02/2019 10:18 AMPosted by JustinFan
Weapon Throw + Boulder Toss:
New Legendary Power(Head or 300th): Each time weapon throw hit enemy, you gain a stack of power increasing BT dmg by 50%, max 10 stack, use BT will consume all stacks

I really like this one. Makes ranged attacks viable and helps beef up Boulder Toss, which should be a heavy-hitting skill. I might simplify it a bit by increasing the multiplier and decreasing stacks (from 10 to 5) to speed up gameplay.

Saffron Wrap: Each time Overpower hit enemy, you primary skill gain 50%* number of mobs more dmg buff, . Max 20 mobs.

Another interesting idea! This would definitely help make generator builds more powerful and it would create a nice synergy with Overpower. Very cool!

Lementation: Revenge make the rend dmg deal instantly. Rend Stack twice.

Excellent idea. I think I would prefer to see Revenge used elsewhere since we would never fit the skill into any major builds, but this is still some interesting synergy.

05/02/2019 02:50 PMPosted by Hadd
Soon as Wastes set was live I started giving feedback to Blizzard that they should make it a 2 way set (much like Crusader's Roland, where you go shield bash or sweep).

The problem with this comparison is that neither Sweep nor Shield Bash are DOT attacks, and that's the core of the problem with Rend. If you want to focus on Whirlwind, you need to dual wield. If you want to focus on Rend, you need to go with a two-hander. But that minor criticism aside, you're right in thinking that a solid supporting legendary (or two) could fix Rend. The question becomes: What does that mean? Can one or two items make Rend worthwhile in both types of Wastes-based builds or do we need to bite the bullet and consider Rend the secondary skill of the build? I don't have any definite answers, but my first priority would be to make Rend viable in a Whirlwind build.

Great stuff so far, folks. Please keep sharing ideas. I'll post some of my own in the near future.
Stone Gauntlets - Ancient Spear - Boulder Toss increases Avalanche damage by 600%.

Dread Iron - Ground Stomp gains the effect of every rune and causes 4 Avalanches around you.

Skular's Salvation - Increase the damage of Ancient Spear - Boulder Toss by 200%. When your Boulder Toss hits 5 or fewer enemies, the damage is increased by 250%.

The Three Hundredth Spear - Ancient Spear throws 2 additional spears and deals 200% increased damage. ( This effects Boulder Toss as well )

Fury of the Ancients - Call of the Ancients gains the effect of every rune and deals 1000% increased damage.

Remorseless - Hammer of the Ancients has a 25% chance to summon up to 3 additional Ancients for 120 seconds.

Immortal King's Call
(2) Set - Call of the Ancients last until they die and attack 25% faster.
(6) Set - Wrath of the Berserker gains the effect of every rune and enemies hit by your Fury spenders take 20,000% increased damage from your Ancients for 6 seconds.
^^ I like your avalanche ideas. Ava is cool but sucks - a lot. Alts like this might make it cool.

I'd love to see a weapon like Fjord Cutter gain the cold rune Glacier and reduce the cool down of Ava by say 30% too. Maybe even use the mace Crushbane. Crushbane fits the avalanche theme too and currently does jack sh!t.

The screen would be blocks of cold everywhere :)
Hey everybody,

I've been following this thread and figured I'd stop by to pose a couple of questions for everybody involved.

#1: WHY change / buff? For instance, look at the various suggestions people have had for items buffing the Avalanche skill. What are we aiming for here? To be clear, I wholeheartdly agree that this skill should get some sort of legendary-based buff.

I'm just asking whether people would rather see this skill become, say, the primary damage-dealer for MOTE builds, as opposed to a variant skill about equal to EQ/SS in MOTE builds, or, another option, a skill that works in-sync with EQ and SS as a sort of "required" part of the build skill rotation.

For instance, what if we had a ring, let's call it "Ring of the Buried", that reduced the damage of enemies hit by avalanche by 50-70%, and also "buried" elite affixes (in the same way that the Wizard skill Black Hole:Event Horizon "absorbs" elite affixes). This would let us drop Band of Might, for a bit of a toughness hit (70% mitigation is a decent drop from 80%), but would let us worry somewhat less about CC (frozen explosions) and massive damage spikes (frozen explosions, molten explosions, arcane beams).

The same question goes for those of you who have talked about wanting buffs to Boulder Toss. Do you want it to be better than SS? Equal? Used with a different set? Are you just tired of the way things are, and want them to change, or are you looking to have a wider variety of relatively equal options when it comes to skill/gear choices for X set?

#2: Should we, at some point, try to refine this thread into a more directed "pitch" to Nev / the devs that explicitly spells out what we, as a community, want? For me, the answer is "yes," but I'm curious to hear what others' thoughts on the matter are. I figure our best chance of actually getting changes made is to have a pretty cohesive set of ideas for exactly what changes should be made to particular items.

I think that if, for instance, we hand them a list of 15 different changes to different items, all of which buff the Avalanche skill, we're just going to end up getting nothing. As Free pointed out, changes to Barb items are not "on the menu" for S17, so we've got a bit of time to come up with a solid plan. But at some point we're going to have to sort through the various ideas presented on this thread and refine them down to a more presentable form.

Anybody got any thoughts on that?
Ancients:
Fury of the Ancients Shoulders (additional to the rune gain) gives you 600% dmg to your Ancients for every Ancient alive
Remorseless (revamp) has a chance on hit to summon an additional Ancient up to a max of ten, also buffs the dmg of the Ancients by 800%

Frenzy (Gen. not thorns for me pls):
Depthdiggers buffed to 300% (which also would help monk gen to be where it should be)
Oathkeeper buffed to 2500%
Secheron's Bracers stacking toughness 6% times 10
Bastions Rev. changed to 100% more dmg with generator and a chance to hit 2additional targets
-that might seem a little high but the gen variant of frenzy is really far behind todays pushbuilds (not that thorns is anywhere near...)

Boulder Toss:
just buff the dmg Justin's idea with the head that stacks the dmg higher will only make some builds (r6) gameplay too clunky
300th spear buffed to something like 2000% and see if that is even enough or else buff skulars bracers instead

WW:
toughness of Wotw-set should be buffed a little
+ Mantle of Channeling should also be buffed to 50%
BK Weapons should also buff WW dmg by 200% and double that bonus when there are less than 5 enemys near you

that would be my choice/fav. skills - obviously the numbers should be finetuned first my suggestion is only to have some starting point^^
05/04/2019 01:56 PMPosted by Rage
Hey everybody,

I've been following this thread and figured I'd stop by to pose a couple of questions for everybody involved.

#1: WHY change / buff? For instance, look at the various suggestions people have had for items buffing the Avalanche skill. What are we aiming for here? To be clear, I wholeheartdly agree that this skill should get some sort of legendary-based buff.

I'm just asking whether people would rather see this skill become, say, the primary damage-dealer for MOTE builds, as opposed to a variant skill about equal to EQ/SS in MOTE builds, or, another option, a skill that works in-sync with EQ and SS as a sort of "required" part of the build skill rotation.

For instance, what if we had a ring, let's call it "Ring of the Buried", that reduced the damage of enemies hit by avalanche by 50-70%, and also "buried" elite affixes (in the same way that the Wizard skill Black Hole:Event Horizon "absorbs" elite affixes). This would let us drop Band of Might, for a bit of a toughness hit (70% mitigation is a decent drop from 80%), but would let us worry somewhat less about CC (frozen explosions) and massive damage spikes (frozen explosions, molten explosions, arcane beams).

The same question goes for those of you who have talked about wanting buffs to Boulder Toss. Do you want it to be better than SS? Equal? Used with a different set? Are you just tired of the way things are, and want them to change, or are you looking to have a wider variety of relatively equal options when it comes to skill/gear choices for X set?

#2: Should we, at some point, try to refine this thread into a more directed "pitch" to Nev / the devs that explicitly spells out what we, as a community, want? For me, the answer is "yes," but I'm curious to hear what others' thoughts on the matter are. I figure our best chance of actually getting changes made is to have a pretty cohesive set of ideas for exactly what changes should be made to particular items.

I think that if, for instance, we hand them a list of 15 different changes to different items, all of which buff the Avalanche skill, we're just going to end up getting nothing. As Free pointed out, changes to Barb items are not "on the menu" for S17, so we've got a bit of time to come up with a solid plan. But at some point we're going to have to sort through the various ideas presented on this thread and refine them down to a more presentable form.

Anybody got any thoughts on that?

My buffs and the rework of Immortal King seem pretty straight forward, but I can elaborate further.

The Boulder Toss and Avalanche buffs I proposed are in fact for an alternate variant of MoTE. This, I thought was apparent when the buffs targeted a synergy between Boulder Toss and Avalanche. I honestly don't care if, in my words "a rock throw bunny" build of MoTE is viable beyond being equal or less than SS / MoTE. The way the buffs work in my opinion, should only allow either the SS / MoTE variant or the AS-BT / MoTE. You could technically mix and match pieces, but it wouldn't be optimal for either one. This is why the pieces I chose contest for opposing spots.

1. Gloves that buff Avalanche with Boulder Toss and not just Ancient Spear.
2. Dread Iron in the place of Girdle of Giants.
3. 300th Spear cubed instead of Furnace or Fury of the Vanished Peak.
4. You would also need a RoRG, so the Endless Walk set is a must.

On the hand of Immortal King, I just hate how it plays as a broken set that has to combine with Raekors to even be viable at anything or just plays around with builds almost exactly the same.
05/01/2019 06:39 PMPosted by Free
3. Please don't ask for things that are obviously antagonistic to current design philosophy.

Does Morticks making a come back fall under being antagonistic? Personally I don't think so but happy to be wrong. I think with the current state of the game it could squeeze in. It may raise Barbs up a few GRs but we would still be behind Wiz & Nec by a fair way.

If it was to make a come back I'm 100% for having all runes too. Definitely don't want to see it picked apart for 1 or 2 runes as that would render it pretty useless IMO. It needs all runes to be able to nudge around our current BiS items.

Thoughts?
Gonna touch on a few things, starting with Rage's questions.

#1: WHY change / buff? . . . The same question goes for those of you who have talked about wanting buffs to Boulder Toss. Do you want it to be better than SS? Equal? Used with a different set? Are you just tired of the way things are, and want them to change, or are you looking to have a wider variety of relatively equal options when it comes to skill/gear choices for X set?

It's tough to answer this question without also addressing your second, but for the purposes of keeping them separate I'll say this: One of the factors to consider when designing items are global damage multipliers of the sort present in both the IK and Raekor sets.

While I can't speak for anyone else, my take on Boulder Toss is getting it to do what it was originally intended to do: dump Fury for Raekor or IK and be a valid source of single-target damage. I'm thinking specifically of Vile Charge (IK6+R4); buffs to Boulder Toss items would allow that skill to replace SS in the build and deal significantly more damage against RGs. That's a win-win in my book. Due to the nature of the HOTA bracers and Gavel, it wouldn't take over in pure R6 builds, though it would provide an excellent alternative to HOTA in pure R6 speed-farm builds.

And to be honest, all Boulder Toss needs to get that done is a bigger multiplier. If only our other problems were that simple.

So, my direct answer to your question is two-fold. First, I point you back to the original questions Nev posed in the OP. I would also respond with the following:

+ Buff to fix broken/weak skills
    + Buff to fix broken/weak sets/builds
    + Buff to provide more build diversity

Like the devs, I'm okay with certain sets and builds being relegated to "fun," and I suspect where that line gets drawn--the line that divides "fun" builds from builds that should be viable--differs for everyone, though as I've said before, we are able to define viable based on performance and in-game activities.

Me? I'm okay with Cheng's original idea that LON builds are "fun." I'm also okay with generator builds being weaker than major builds, though not by as much as it currently stands. I'd like to see our MOTE+IK build (Prokhan's Cold Slam) attain viable status, but I suspect it will provided there are items that buff Slam damage (or better synergize between EQ and Slam).

05/04/2019 01:56 PMPosted by Rage
#2: Should we, at some point, try to refine this thread into a more directed "pitch" to Nev / the devs that explicitly spells out what we, as a community, want?

This is tricky. We've done this--several times, in fact. We tried it with very specific requests: "Buff this item by this much to do X." We tried it with very general, open-ended requests: "Please make Rend worthwhile in the Wastes set!"

Each and every time, our collective voices were ignored. On a very few occasions, a few of us--CC, Sav, Pro, and myself--had direct contact with developers and CMS, and on those rare occasions we were able to get very specific things accomplished. Even then, it was rarely more than a fix (WW spending more Fury), a single new affix (Girdle), and so forth.

I sincerely doubt our suggestions will be taken with any more weight than they have in the past, but I'm also optimistic that they might--just might--catch a developer's eye and spark some interest. And I think the best chance of that happening is to have clearly articulated requests informed by sound game design. I also think that passionate general requests ("We want stronger items for Primary skills!") are equally viable for consideration.

Is anyone's plea for viable LON builds going to be taken seriously? Not a chance.

Is there any chance of us getting viable generator builds? Not likely, but happy accidents do occur.

Could we get some new/fixed supporting legendaries? Unlikely, but possible depending on the nature of the request.

Could we get some buffs to existing items? Probably.

Anyway, I created this thread as a kind of conceptual prototype to collect feedback. Later on, we can think about refining ideas, as well as which ideas are even worth offering up as a community-backed pitch.

Always happy to discuss this further.

05/04/2019 05:41 PMPosted by Bastich
Does Morticks making a come back fall under being antagonistic? Personally I don't think so but happy to be wrong. I think with the current state of the game it could squeeze in. It may raise Barbs up a few GRs but we would still be behind Wiz & Nec by a fair way.

Perhaps, but to be honest, in the current era's power creep, they would compete with, though not necessarily replace, most other bracers in our major builds. Let's break it down.

R6 HOTA? Wouldn't use them.

Vile Charge? They would likely replace Parthans.

Zodiac WW? They would likely replace Parthans.

Fire EQ or Physical EQ? Wouldn't use them.

IK HOTA? They would replace Bracers of the First Men to be worn, but the net gain is minimal since they would kick Aquilas from the Cube. And for builds that opt for Magefist, they would not be used.

Out of five major builds, only two would definitely use them, and even then the 50% DR of Striding Giant would have to be weighed against the much stronger DR offered by Parthans.

So, should we ask for Morticks? I think so. They're not OP anymore, even if they provide all runes (and I agree, they should!). They're not even necessarily best in slot. LON builds that don't use Zodiac wouldn't bother with them, but they would make "fun" IK generator builds a bit stronger than their current incarnation.
I sincerely doubt our suggestions will be taken with any more weight than they have in the past, but I'm also optimistic that they might--just might--catch a developer's eye and spark some interest. And I think the best chance of that happening is to have clearly articulated requests informed by sound game design. I also think that passionate general requests ("We want stronger items for Primary skills!") are equally viable for consideration.

Agreed. I think we should set a sort of loose timetable for when we want to have the "clearly articulated request" ready. Otherwise we're liable to just keep kicking the can down the road.

05/04/2019 07:41 PMPosted by Free
So, should we ask for Morticks? I think so. They're not OP anymore, even if they provide all runes (and I agree, they should!). They're not even necessarily best in slot.

Definitely correct. Actually, I don't even think WW would use these over APDs, 50% is not enough mitigation. I could see some people using them for Fire Leapquake, though.
They're not OP anymore, even if they provide all runes (and I agree, they should!).

Right, they are not OP. However, I don't think dev will let it drop again.

1) it can hardly bring new builds to barb (except, slaugter-proc builds, however, Blizz think it is an exploit and bring heavy load on server. I guess proc=1 bug is not easy to fix?).
2) introduce Mortick will affects many barb builds. Many barb defensive legendary powers, affix, will be useless again. In short, it narrow the choices. They don't want to balance so many legendary powers and builds again.

So, it gonna be too painful for them to introduce Mortick again.
05/04/2019 10:09 PMPosted by JustinFan
They're not OP anymore, even if they provide all runes (and I agree, they should!).

Right, they are not OP. However, I don't think dev will let it drop again.

1) it can hardly bring new builds to barb (except, slaugter-proc builds, however, Blizz think it is an exploit and bring heavy load on server. I guess proc=1 bug is not easy to fix?).
2) introduce Mortick will affects many barb builds. Many barb defensive legendary powers, affix, will be useless again. In short, it narrow the choices. They don't want to balance so many legendary powers and builds again.

So, it gonna be too painful for them to introduce Mortick again.

Justin, they reworked slaughter when they changed bloodshed. The were proccing in a similar way andcehen they changed blooddhed, Slaughter changed as well. Though no patch note mentioned this. Probably they also dont know (may be using bloodshed script)
05/04/2019 10:52 PMPosted by Prokahn
The were proccing in a similar way andcehen they changed blooddhed, Slaughter changed as well.

Well, another tombstone...
05/04/2019 08:38 PMPosted by Rage
Agreed. I think we should set a sort of loose timetable for when we want to have the "clearly articulated request" ready. Otherwise we're liable to just keep kicking the can down the road.

Best to let this thread brew a while. Once S17 begins, we can start to discuss a more focused pitch.

05/04/2019 08:38 PMPosted by Rage
Actually, I don't even think WW would use these over APDs, 50% is not enough mitigation.

It depends. The additional Life per Fury is substantial, and with Ignorance is Bliss in the mix, it adds up to over 10k Life per Fury. Slaughter isn't what it used to be, but the extra damage doesn't require a slot on the skill bar, so it's fine. As for the rest, it's all very meh. In truly high GRs, we would still take Parthans since even 5 Frozen enemies provides more DR than Striding Giant, but for speed-farming and early-Season pushes, Mortick's would be ideal.

EQ builds wouldn't bother since their uptime on Wrath is severely limited. IK HOTA is the one build that would default to the bracer, but even then it's only a little better than the conditional bonus of Aquilas.

Truly, in this era Mortick's would be a mediocre item. Great for "fun" IK builds, speed-farming with WW, and early-Season build progression, but passed over for items like Parthans when optimization begins to matter.

Really, what this highlights is how badly we need supporting legendaries to replace the de facto combinations of COE, Parthans, and Cassius. In my opinion, this should be one of the things we focus on with our future pitch.
What skill would you like to see have more support? Is there one with a great fantasy/flavor you like, but doesn't have much power behind it?

+ Rend
    + Seismic Slam
    + Boulder Toss
    + Avalanche
    + Revenge
    + Primary Skills

By and large, these underwhelming skills are tied to problems within our builds and sets--broken skills, redundancy, and a near universal reliance on Convention of Elements, Ancient Parthan Defenders, Furnace, Pride of Cassius, and Istvan's Paired Blades. This is all symptomatic of a single class-wide problem: a lack of useful supporting legendaries.

In my opinion, the best way to address it is as follows:

1. Buff existing supporting legendaries.

2. Create new supporting legendaries by placing affixes on useless class-specific items.

Here are my rough suggestions broken down by skill:

Rend: Requires a new supporting legendary. Jako's suggestion (Rend deals XX% increased damage per bleeding enemy in XX yards) is a fantastic starting point. This skill is ripe for better synergy with Whirlwind, the BK set, and the Wastes set.

Seismic Slam: Remove the enemy cap from Bracers of Destruction and buff the damage multiplier. Slam is an AOE skill--the enemy cap is counter-intuitive to the skill's design and function.

Boulder Toss: Buff multipliers on existing supporting legendaries.

Avalanche: Buff multipliers on existing supporting legendaries.

Revenge: Requires new supporting legendaries. Because the skill is not buffed by a set bonus, it would require multiple synergized supporting legendaries to be worthwhile in any capacity.

Primary Skills: Buff multipliers on existing supporting legendaries.

It cannot be overstated that the Barb class lacks useful class-specific supporting legendaries. If the developers want to do right by Barbs, new supporting legendaries must be introduced. These need not be mechanically complex, but they must promote synergy between skills, and must be tailored first and foremost with specific builds in mind.

For example, trying to buff Rend by buffing its relevant skill bonuses in the Wastes set will not work because A) Whirlwind, the main skill of the Wastes set, is optimized for one-handed weapons, and B) Rend, as a DOT skill, is optimized for two-handed weapons. In this case, a new supporting legendary--preferably meant to replace Furnace in the Cube--is required.

I urge developers to seek ways to dislodge Convention of Elements, Ancient Parthan Defenders, Pride of Cassius, Furnace, and Istvan's Paired Blades from their current best-in-slot positions in most of our builds. For ease of reference, here is a breakdown of our five major builds in terms of gear slots that utilize these universal best-in-slot items and their relevant bonuses.

Zodiac WW
Belt (Pride of Cassius): 50% damage reduction
Bracer (Parthans): Damage reduction per enemy in range
Ring (CoE): Conditional 3x multiplier to elemental damage
Cube (Furnace): Increased elite damage

IK HOTA
Weapons (Istvan's Paired Blades): 30% increased attack speed, Armor, and damage multiplier

Fire EQ
Cube (Furnace): Increased elite damage

Vile Charge

R6-HOTA
Belt (Pride of Cassius): 50% damage reduction
Weapons (Istvan's Paired Blades): 30% increased attack speed, Armor, and damage multiplier

For ease of reference, here is a complete list of class-specific legendaries that either do not possess a legendary affix or possess an affix that is effectively useless at all levels of play:

Mighty Weapons
    + Fjord Cutter

+ Ambo's Pride

+ Remorseless

+ Night's Reaping

+ Madawc's Sorrow

+ Bastion's Revered

+ War of the Dead

Swords
    + The Grandfather

Mighty Belts
    + Lamentation

+ Dread Iron

Is there a class fantasy you feel isn't very fulfilled right now? Something you really want to be able to do with a class, but just isn't possible?

While many players would like to see Barb as a viable DPS in groups--a desire I share--I don't know how that would work since Barbs are already guaranteed a spot in group play as support.
The axe is a weapon often associated with barbarians. In the fantasy department I think we are missing a build centered around a 2h axe.

For maces/hammers we have Vile Charge and IK HotA (and R6 HotA too), for a greatsword (if we can call Blade of Tribes a sword lol) we have MotE, so, what about an axe build?

I mean, you can always transmog your gear, but I think Madawac's Sorrow could use a rework XD
05/05/2019 03:04 PMPosted by Hadd
The axe is a weapon often associated with barbarians. In the fantasy department I think we are missing a build centered around a 2h axe.

To be honest, there's not much point in designing a build around a weapon type. We've got much bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether or not axes get used.
Just thinking out loud...

If we get a 2H Rend weapon but it's cubed only, would it make a difference to Wastes? If Rend is to be viable we'd need a 2H weapon for the damage range so it would needed to be held yeah? BK swords ain't going anywhere for WW's weapon slots.

Just thinking and adding comments.
Hi fellow Barbarians !!

It's curious how every one of us keep sinking time in these forums =)
Nevertheless, allow me to join the fray !!

Fully support Jako & Justin's suggestions
Arreat's Law:
Ancient Spear throws two additional spears.

Would also add a decent dmg multiplier.

Weapon Throw + Boulder Toss
New Legendary Power(Head or 300th):
Each time weapon throw hit enemy, you gain a stack of power increasing BT dmg by 50%, max 10 stack, use BT will consume all stacks

Also, a few suggestions to complement the above skills and builds.
Some drawn from already existent items so the level of coding lazyness is reduced closer to its minimum....

Weapon Throw
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/jekangbord-P61_Unique_CruShield_102_x1

Weapon Throw ricochets to X additional enemies and has its damage increased by YYY%

Weapon Throw + Boulder Toss
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/flail-of-the-ascended-P4_Unique_Flail_2H_002

Your Boulder Toss deals damage equal to up to your last X Weapon Throw hits.
Also
If less than three enemies are hit, damage is increased by YYY%

These two above would allow a fast attack density generator build to be incorporated with IK or LoN sets, with Boulder Toss as a massive single target fury dump.

Boulder Toss
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/hellcat-waistguard-P43_Unique_Belt_005_x1

Boulder Toss have a chance to bounce X times dealing an additional YY% damage on each bounce. This bonus is increased to ZZZ% on the final bounce.

Boulder Toss
Whenever Boulder Toss is cast, your Ancients also cast Boulder Toss.

If you ever played Demon Hunter, you can imagine how this would work.
And it gives you that great feeling of a chaotic battlefield, bursting short unexpected outcomes.

Boulder Toss
Boulder Toss causes an Avalanche on impact, increasing Avalanche damage by XXX% for every enemy hit by Boulder Toss.
Boulder Toss and Avalanche radius is increased by your Pickup Radius bonus.

An Avalanche alternative, benefiting from the previous two suggestions.
Also, building up on the other posts Ava suggestions.
My only change would be creating a gem like the thorns one except using damage from armor then it could be paired with whatever set. This would let us rework some passives and change the way we gear.
05/06/2019 02:19 AMPosted by Bastich
If we get a 2H Rend weapon but it's cubed only, would it make a difference to Wastes?

It depends.

If it's a static multiplier to Rend damage, probably not. At least, not unless the multiplier is some ludicrous amount (which could then be interesting with IK and LON builds).

For a Rend weapon to be viable for both the Wastes set (Whirlwind builds) and for other potential builds, the item needs to scale its damage based on conditions. For example, if the developers opted for something akin to Jako's idea (Rend deals XX% increased damage per bleeding enemy in XX yards), that would be a good start since Zodiac WW can pack a lot of density into a very small space. In this instance, Rend would amplify the build's trash clearing potential, and it might even lower Bloodshed lag since most mobs would die much, much quicker.

Jako's proposed affix would serve many players very well for a very long time. Sooner or later, though, that conditional multiplier will get static, particularly as players push the build's highest tiers. To truly fix Rend, we need a conditional modifier that scales with the build's power potential and GR conditions. I've long been an advocate of something like this: Rend's damage per second is increased by XX% of an enemy's max health. Or, put another way: Rend deals XX% increased damage based on an enemy's maximum health.

In this instance, the more HP mobs have, the more damage they take from Rend. This wouldn't help much against trash, but it would be a huge benefit against elites and the RG.