IGN Interview with J. Allen Brack

General Discussion
FYI

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/05/21/blizzard-learned-a-lot-from-diablo-immortal-reveal

PS: Sorry for the lack of a link; I'm old.
Haven't read the article yet, but from the title of it I can tell you it smells like fresh cowdung. They learnt nothing, even after losing 50% of their damn stock market.

He said the company learned "A huge number of lessons. I think that one of the things that we failed to do was to really help articulate that we are a PC gaming company and that we’re going to continue to be a PC gaming company."

I'll ask one question then, why quarterly reports talk about going to mobile?

That doesn’t mean we’re not going to be continuing to make awesome PC games and awesome console games like we have in the past.

To add a few;
"If that's the case why you sent many of your best developers to mobile as Adham said?", "Why are we reading more and more mobile related articles on media about your company?", "Do you think development on a mobile game and PC are equally same for honesty?" and lastly "When did it shun on you that you have a PC oriented audience?".
The time when U.S government slid a big NO on Huawei? Like... Yesterday? You got a woke up call about you're not immune to such treatment if government suspects a huge data trade move?

Though Blizzard is “not planning a major frontline release for 2019,” reports indicate that Diablo 4 has been in development since 2016.

In the linked article, it hints D4 to be released in 2020; that's unrealistic. If project started in '16, that's only 3 years of development; in that time span they scrapped 3 prototype builds according to Kotaku, also Hades being scrapped as well and there's a big hint on things moving forward rather "slow". They shouldn't be even at halfway after 3 prototypes being scrapped and another game project shelved (?) in 3 years.

They hired Witcher 3's developer just this year and they plan on releasing a D4 the next one? How much time they wasted on those prototypes? I'd expect a half-baked game release from EA, not Blizzard.

Announcing '19 and releasing '20 for a sequel; which SC2 and D3 had 3-4 years delay between, doesn't ring a bell for me. They won't have enough time to gain back their advertisement costs and an early release will make investors unhappy as hype will cease rather short. The time frame they offer and facts they serve don't add up at the terms of the cost effective strategies.
If it has only one year between announce and release, I doubt it's a sequel title like D4 but a new spin-off like TPS MMO-lite, D2 remaster or a DLC for D3. If it's true and they talk about 2020 then release date is simply unrealistic and it actually signals an annouce date for a big project or project start date is way earlier than '16.

How come they scrap that amount of work for nothing yet still have time to release a project to fill a such huge expectation in 3-4 years total?
Right after just recently hiring Witcher/Cyberpunk creative director? A director's work is so side-viewed that he'd finish in a year? Nonsense. If they hired a director, things just start to unfold then.

I think they're trying to sell tickets for next Blizzcon, possibly scared after U.S government's ban on Huawei and trying to ease their investors into keeping their money as a mobile oriented company. Morhaime tricked us all. I'm looking at ATVI stock right now it at the 20th of this month it took a big dip of 2 dollars.

I'm sceptic towards this year's Blizzcon because they clearly said "no major releases this year" they generally use that kinda mojo when they need to ease player expectations down. Remember the blogpost before Blizzcon'18 debacle and how encrypted they have written that just to say "there won't be a Diablo 4 this year at Blizzcon".

I believe there'd be a good thing for Diablo at this year when I see the; goodies bag, quarterly reports talking on Diablo and floor planning scheme. If this year goes calmer than expected, don't fret anyway, at 2020 and they'll pack good news for sure.
BY COLIN STEVENS Blizzard Entertainment president J. Allen Brack recently spoke with IGN, saying the studio learned “A huge number of lessons” from the less-than-warmly-received Diablo Immortal reveal.

In an interview with IGN conducted by James Duggan, we asked Brack about the lessons learned from this adverse fan reaction. He said the company learned "A huge number of lessons. I think that one of the things that we failed to do was to really help articulate that we are a PC gaming company and that we’re going to continue to be a PC gaming company."

Brack addressed fan concerns that, with Diablo Immortal being a mobile game and various PC games moving over to consoles, Blizzard has shifted its focus away from PC. "We started our journey in ye-olden times as a console company, and then we migrated to PC,” said Brack. "And in the last few years, we’ve moved Diablo 3 to console, we’ve moved Overwatch to console, we’ve moved Diablo 3 to Switch. And those have been good things, that I think a lot of people have resonated with. But fundamentally our roots are PC, a strong PC game company, and that’s not going to change.

"I think there’s a tendency to hear, or we didn’t do a good job of articulating ‘look this [Diablo Immortal] is a neat thing that we think we can do.’ Or we think that we can bring some of our franchises to the mobile platform and have them be cool, good, Blizzard-quality experiences. That doesn’t mean we’re not going to be continuing to make awesome PC games and awesome console games like we have in the past. So that’s probably the biggest lesson: not double underscoring that piece and taking that for granted.

"It doesn’t make sense to me, or really anyone at Blizzard that we would just say ‘Oh! Let’s stop working on these PC games, there’s no future in them.’ That’s not our view at all."
05/21/2019 03:34 PMPosted by naksiloth

Said this numerous times, but the moment they formally announce that D4 or whatever it is will be coming out in X time, they have to recognize revenue for it.

They can say "other projects" but that really does nothing to a shareholder, so these reports typically talk about what is coming in the recent future, not years down the road or even months down the road.

Because mobile gaming is already much, much bigger than PC and console gaming combined. If they didn't talk constantly about how they are going to grab their slice of that ever-expanding pie, the market and their stockholders would hammer them.
05/21/2019 04:02 PMPosted by Demonmonger
they have to recognize revenue for it.

That means releasing D:I and that having a testrun for a year or so at least. I agree.

so these reports typically talk about what is coming in the recent future,

Previous quarter report must drop a hint someway; like talking about their PC projects in an overall manner and using the word Diablo more than twice in the whole report maybe.
I don’t know what blizzard could have possibly “learned.” They’re a PC gaming company hosting a PC gaming convention. what went wrong isn’t exactly rocket science.

But apparently it’s a huge ****ing surprise to tone deaf blizzard.

Said this numerous times, but the moment they formally announce that D4 or whatever it is will be coming out in X time, they have to recognize revenue for it.

Huh? What makes you think this...?
D4 2020 confirmed.
"We don't believe you Allen!"
Meanwhile, other people are doing their work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cA2GvES2w
I believe Blizz is doing what any other business is doing... Solidifying their existing products (D4) while developing new products (D:I). Nothing new there.