[BUG] Missing Black Smith Sage Patterns

General Discussion
Update:
Six T-16 vault runs with 3 Oedius Collectors. Zero plans dropped. All of the vault runs were non-ancient puzzle rings.

@Arawn:
I farmed up the caches on my level 70 WD and opened on my level 1 Wiz. Of course the majority of my openings were on my WD. This info. is in the thread in the above posts.
Okay, last ditch suggestion time. Make a level 1 hero with a different main stat, e.g. a Barb, and open one of the caches farmed by the WD.
RNG is RNG, just go higher in difficulty and do more bounties. If you think that's a bug think of the people who complain about RoRG not dropping at the start of the season week.
Update:
I farmed up a set of T-13 caches and T-1 caches. I created a level 1 Demon Hunter and opened them. The T-1 caches did not give any plans but the T-13 gave Sage plans.

@MeteorBlade:
After my prior update I immediately farmed up caches to test opening on a different main stat char. We had the same idea. What I am starting to suspect is that the fail drop behavior may be tied to the GR-70 clear and primal unlock. I did some bounties early and stopped to push GR level just to expand the blood shard cap. In doing the GR pushing I crossed the GR-70 threshold. I stopped at GR-85 I think, burned some mats on reforging weapons, and then went back to bounty farming for materials.

@Naksiloth:
I expect that you would be much more informed about this. You did not read this thread and see the sheer amount of farming done to get the plans to drop. This is not an RNG issue it is a bug. Hit the bug forum and there are many threads. Google searching shows this issue being in the game for quite a while and left unaddressed by the devs. Acquiring the plans should not require creating 2 or more extra chars just to open caches.
Run a bounty on Normal difficulty.
@Orrion:
Thanks bud. I finally got plans to drop from T-13 caches farmed on my WD, but opened on a level 1 demon hunter.
Update:
Player Perusoe commented in my bug report thread. The patch 2.3.0 notes state the following which supports my statement about plan acquisition being deterministic and not random:

Bounties
  • Horadric Caches now contain two guaranteed Legendary or Set recipes (if
  • available at your level range)

Source: https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/19859662/patch-230-now-live-8-25-2015#am

Therefore the drop failure is a bug.
05/30/2019 05:39 AMPosted by BossDogg
@Orrion:
Thanks bud. I finally got plans to drop from T-13 caches farmed on my WD, but opened on a level 1 demon hunter.

Just what I said - could have saved you a ton of trouble derp.
06/02/2019 01:02 PMPosted by BossDogg
Player Perusoe commented in my bug report thread. The patch 2.3.0 notes state the following which supports my statement about plan acquisition being deterministic and not random
Actually, what I said was: It is random and not guaranteed.

You can read the full post here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771617130#post-14
05/28/2019 09:10 PMPosted by BossDogg
I'll have to continue doing bounties because of the need for materials. However, the set of bounty caches I opened on my level 1 Wizard was not my first set of T-13 bounty caches this season.

So don't open them on a LV 1 character? Have you actually tried opening them on a character that's ≥LV 61? The plans won't show up from caches otherwise.
opening them on a character that's ≥LV 61? The plans won't show up from caches otherwise.

I opened t15 bounty caches on a lvl 1 crusader & got the lvl70 sage plans
Encountered this issue before, more prevalent in this Season for me as well.

I was able to complete my entire blacksmith recipes from bounties, but took a whole lot more tries to finally get the Sage Journey's recipe to drop for me.

I think its droprate is independent of the other set recipes, even on the bounty caches.
06/02/2019 01:38 PMPosted by Perusoe
06/02/2019 01:02 PMPosted by BossDogg
Player Perusoe commented in my bug report thread. The patch 2.3.0 notes state the following which supports my statement about plan acquisition being deterministic and not random
Actually, what I said was: It is random and not guaranteed.

You can read the full post here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771617130#post-14

You stated it was random but the patch notes clearly states that it is guaranteed. The patch notes conveys the intended code behavior. The fact that the code no longer behaves as described constitutes a bug. There is no way for the behavior to be both random and guaranteed.
06/02/2019 02:18 PMPosted by TheTias
05/28/2019 09:10 PMPosted by BossDogg
I'll have to continue doing bounties because of the need for materials. However, the set of bounty caches I opened on my level 1 Wizard was not my first set of T-13 bounty caches this season.

So don't open them on a LV 1 character? Have you actually tried opening them on a character that's ≥LV 61? The plans won't show up from caches otherwise.

It seems you missed a big chunk of the discussion. I farmed T-13 caches on my level 70 WD. I've opened some caches on the same WD, some caches on a level 1 Wizard and a level 1 demon hunter.

The bug:
Plans are a guaranteed drop from caches (I'm talking caches from T7+) assuming the player opening the caches has not discovered all of the plans. The patch 2.3.0 notes says so. This makes the acquisition of plans deterministic with enough caches opened. However, in-game the code governing drop behavior from caches (and goblins) is not following what is described in the 2.3.0 patch notes. This leads to a period early on where plans drop from caches and then suddenly stop dropping from goblins and caches. This leaves the player with some plans discovered and undiscovered plans not dropping.

The work around(s):
a) Farm bounties on a level 70 char, on T7+, and opening the caches on a level 1 character, where both the level 70 and the level 1 use the same main stat.

b) Farm bounties on a level 70 char, on T7+, and opening the caches on a level 1 character, where both the level 1 uses a different main stat.

c) Farm bounties on multiple difficulties, some below T1 and some above T1. Spread the cache opening across multiple chars (level 1 and level 70) and vary the level one chars by main stat (ex: DH and Barb level 1 chars with a level 70 Wiz farmer).

d) Do mass Vault runs on T13+ and hope that the goblins provide you with the plan(s) you are missing. There are communities for this purpose.

None of the workarounds are guaranteed to work for every player every time.

I've encountered this bug last season and current season, across the US/EU/Asia game regions. Just today, I killed an Oedius Collector gob on T-16 and no plans dropped from him (pub game). About 25 mins later in the same pub game, some random plan dropped from an Oedius Collector that was part of a goblin pack.
06/02/2019 01:08 PMPosted by DonMartin
05/30/2019 05:39 AMPosted by BossDogg
@Orrion:

Just what I said - could have saved you a ton of trouble derp.

You didn't read the entire story. I did this and it failed (level 70 WD and level 1 Wiz) multiple times. I then tried using a level 1 demon hunter as the cache opener and it worked. However, don't start clapping because the workaround is not guaranteed. Its not like the first cache opened on the DH produced the plans. The drop failure bug affects the work-arounds in the same manner. It is hit or miss upon cache opening when it should be guaranteed as per the 2.3.0 patch notes, and work arounds should not be necessary.
06/02/2019 04:33 PMPosted by Volatility
Encountered this issue before, more prevalent in this Season for me as well.

I was able to complete my entire blacksmith recipes from bounties, but took a whole lot more tries to finally get the Sage Journey's recipe to drop for me.

I think its droprate is independent of the other set recipes, even on the bounty caches.

There are players encountering the bug with gem plans as well. I had no problem getting the level 70 Sage plans 3, 4, and 5 seasons ago. However, many other players have encountered this bug 3+ seasons in the past. As I stated earlier I suspect that the bug is connected to the primal unlock from the first solo GR70 clear.
06/02/2019 07:41 PMPosted by BossDogg
You stated it was random but the patch notes clearly states that it is guaranteed. The patch notes conveys the intended code behavior. The fact that the code no longer behaves as described constitutes a bug.
Which is why I agree that this is a bug and should be fixed so all players get the "two guaranteed" Plans from Bounty Caches until we have them all.

Note: It is my opinion that this is another case where Blizzard's description is vague. I'm talking about this statement:
Adventure Mode

Bounties
  • Horadric Caches now contain two guaranteed Legendary or Set recipes (if available at your level range)
Source: https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/19859662/patch-230-now-live-8-25-2015#am

The terms Legendary and Set are unnecessary because Blacksmith Plans are always for Legendary or Set items. There are no Plans for Magic or Rare items and you cannot craft Common items. The term recipe is a misnomer because Recipes are related to Kanai's Cube and do not need to be "taught" to the Cube. "Plans" are taught to the Blacksmith. "Designs" are taught to the Jeweler.

I believe Blizzard used the term "recipe" because it not only refers to the Blacksmith Plans, but also to the Jeweler Designs. However, they could avoid confusion by changing that statement in the Patch 2.3.0 Blog to read:
Adventure Mode

Bounties
  • Horadric Caches now contain two guaranteed Plans or Designs (if available at your level range)
And then make sure it actually happens. (Which is what the real bug is). ;-)